• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Yup. Going to have to fiddle around with my launch Switch so I can dump some games. Lordy these games look good....probably won't do this until I get a new Switch though. Holding out for a backwards compatible successor that might be able to handle this without the emulator but I realize that's asking a LOT of Nintendo.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Dread

ryujinx_capture_2021-69kzj.png

ryujinx_capture_2021-v3k27.png

ryujinx_capture_2021-85je1.png

Is there anyway to see comparison between these god tier shots and the native switch version?

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dread running that well is nothing new, emulator achievement wise I mean. It's still very impressive nonetheless. This reminds me of when Xenoblade Chronicles and Skyward Sword came out on Wii. The only disc spinning that happened with the Wii was to dump both disc and play the games entirely on Dolphin in 1080p because they were running great on day 1.

Oldness realization edit: Jesus, that was almost a decade ago already.

Last edited:

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Gotcha. Well foregoing trying to transfer saves back and forth, would you be safe if you dumped your games and then "unmodded" your switch? Is there a way to get clean after you've done it?

You would want to use the Hekate bootloader to clone your SYSNAND (the OS partition on the built in storage) to an emuNAND and install the custom firmware on there. Keep the emunand offline and use the various homebrew tools to keep that CFW instance from ever phoning home, which should give you a safe environment for homebrew where you can dump your saves. When you're done you can boot back into the official firmware on the SYSNAND and it'll be none the wiser. Alternatively you could use Hekate to backup the SYSNAND and extract the save files from there using PC tools.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I can try to make some.

Native vs 4x native
md-1njk2f.png

Full screenshot

This comparison makes me feel things.

I have spent my entire night attempting...to not brick my Switch and I decided to give up.

I guess I will just keep dreaming of a timeline where Nintendo games have actually crisp IQ and I don't have to do 9000 shady things to attain it.

Metroid being stuck in the current Switch hardware is a crime.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
So ryujinx is superior visuals and yuzu superior performance?
Clearly this for me. I have a shitty cpu ( ryzen 1600x) with à 3070ti.
Waiting for the 3700x at 200e to buy it.
I have clearly better performance with yuzu for the moment.
The xenoblade 2 picture from the last page make me want to play this game with à good résolution again haha thé switch version was so bad even with the mclassic

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So ryujinx is superior visuals and yuzu superior performance?

Performance depends on the game and the emulators are still in development since my post you quoted, Ryujinx got a multithreaded shader compiler and some performance improvements for example and yuzu will get a resolution scaler very soon.

So it's probably best to just use both depending on the game, save games are compatible so you can switch around if you like i even copy them to my switch and back if i use it undocked. I pretty much don't use it docked anymore since emulators are far superior in most cases now.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I got a V1 Switch I wanted to sell after getting my OLED but right now I'm thinking about modding it to dump all my games.
Anyone got a good guide for that?

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Ryujinx still doesn't have Vulkan yet, huh.
AMD GPU (Windows) is suffering for emulation.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
is dread missing shaders or anything on emulator? i dont follow switch emulation but those screens look nice.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I haven't researched the latest state of Switch emulation yet, but I would love to be able to take the SD card from my Switch, pop it in my PC, then continue playing in 4K. I'm guessing there's some file encryption that gets in the way of making it completely plug and play.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This makes me sad. Even the Prime remaster with new assets will have crap IQ (resolution, artifacts, jaggies) because it will still be stuck in the Switch hardware. I want Nintendo looking with crisp IQ already.

Double post but, can a 1060GTX play this?

It rarely is a GPU limitation that prevents you from playing emulated games. CPU it is.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
I haven't researched the latest state of Switch emulation yet, but I would love to be able to take the SD card from my Switch, pop it in my PC, then continue playing in 4K. I'm guessing there's some file encryption that gets in the way of making it completely plug and play.
It's possible to do that (just not as simple as moving your SD card around). Just need to have a switch that can dump and you can dump your save file

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
You would want to use the Hekate bootloader to clone your SYSNAND (the OS partition on the built in storage) to an emuNAND and install the custom firmware on there. Keep the emunand offline and use the various homebrew tools to keep that CFW instance from ever phoning home, which should give you a safe environment for homebrew where you can dump your saves. When you're done you can boot back into the official firmware on the SYSNAND and it'll be none the wiser. Alternatively you could use Hekate to backup the SYSNAND and extract the save files from there using PC tools.
Thanks. Is it any simpler if all I want to do is a one time dump of the games I have now and then wipe the mod tools from my switch?

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory driveby, prior bans for console warring
Nintendo, I love your games, and it is this love what prevents me from buying your cancer-tier scam level hardware and just enjoy then at 1440p on emulators created by the comunity.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo, I love your games, and it is this love what prevents me from buying your cancer-tier scam level hardware and just enjoy then at 1440p on emulators created by the comunity.
Do some of you ever think you might be a bit over dramatic? Like, claiming something to be on the level of cancer because it doesn't give you enough colored dots is a bit insane, you get that right?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

It's all well and good to be able to enjoy games on the PC on an emulator, but to preface you are aware to play the games on said emulator requires said hardware to extract its library in the first place.

As for the statement in regards to it being a "scam", I'd honestly like for you to explain considering the release of the Switch back in 2017 and mobile SoC and the availability of others available to it on the market, given the supplier and contracts put in place at the timing of its release, and considering the its somewhat unique form factor, what better options were available? Said alternatives would have likely led to much more expensive device all in all, nevermind being gated technologically by what could reasonably used in portable in the first place, considering all the aforementioned factors.

If the Switch at its $300 price point is too expensive for some, I highly doubt those would be just as willing to pay even more for the demand of more powerful hardware which wasn't available at the time, especially not in a handheld / mobile formfactor.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
No need for the drama. I think most would agree that having more powerful Switch hardware would be a good thing. You vote with your wallet.

Having said that, playing emulated Switch games is illegal without access to Switch hardware to extract the ROM and product keys, regardless of whether you own a copy of the game. So...

Deku_o4a

Oct 27, 2017
No need for the drama. I think most would agree that having more powerful Switch hardware would be a good thing. You vote with your wallet.

Having said that, playing emulated Switch games is illegal without access to Switch hardware to extract the ROM and product keys, regardless of whether you own a copy of the game. So...
I was about to say.

Played two hours on Ryujinx thus far and it has been really smooth. Without vsync and a 165 fps cap. It mostly runs at that framerate with some occasional shader cache drops.
I noticed though, despite the anti aliasing removal mod, it still looks better in handheld mode (x4 IR).

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I was about to say.

Played two hours on Ryujinx thus far and it has been really smooth. Without vsync and a 165 fps cap. It mostly runs at that framerate with some occasional shader cache drops.
I noticed though, despite the anti aliasing removal mod, it still looks better in handheld mode (x4 IR).

Yes handheld mode disables a few more shaders.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I was about to say.

Dang, I can only get to 144 lol!

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
That patch mod sure changes things, goddamn.

ryujinx-capture-2021-10-09-18-15-46.png

So much in fact that i decided to start a new run on Hard, at 4x the resolution and with the analog stick and dpad swapped.

Last edited:

BushidoBro

Oct 27, 2017
What type of rigs are yall running this on to get that performance? I've been tinkering a bit with Ryujinx but I'm doubting I'll be able to achieve anything reasonable on my rig without an upgrade - GTX 1080 and I5 6600k

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
What type of rigs are yall running this on to get that performance? I've been tinkering a bit with Ryujinx but I'm doubting I'll be able to achieve anything reasonable on my rig without an upgrade - GTX 1080 and I5 6600k

I have a fairly high end PC, 9900K and RTX 3080.

Keep in mind in regards to emulation is typically a much more CPU demanding task rather than GPU. You have a decent quad core Intel that has good clock speeds.

You should be able to get by fairly well on your GPU too.

If you got custom firmware on your Switch you are pretty much good to go.