• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Lol that revisionist history is totally bonkers.

Infamous and Killzone: Shadowfall were "next-gen" and certainly a leap from PS3 games, as was The Order 1886, Driveclub or Ryse: Son if Rome
These are facts. KillZone reveal was a jaw dropper. Everyone watching immediately knew what next gen looked like.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Halo Infinite is the only AAA game that he has really implied this talk with. We knew at the game awards that Hellblade was series S/X only and we found out in August that avowed, forza, Everwild and fable were all announced as next gen exclusive.

There was literally one cross-gen game and nothing else for the next year or two, making the cross-gen period "a year or two". Genius level gambit there.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
This is what the majority of people on Era were saying for a long while. I think Sony is taking the right approach on this matter. I am not buying a next-gen system for it to be held back by current gen limitations.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Switch is really going to be holding the reigns on some big ps5xsx games which absolutely sucks.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
There. Is. More. To. Games. Than. Using. Extra. Power. For. Shiny. Graphics.

If all you're basing it on is resolution, lighting and frame rate, I'll give you Killzone.

But there's a reason none of those games got out of the 70s on Metacritic. And I was a whole-hearted Ryse apologist. Not a next gen game. Just prettier.

What does the MC score have to do with the game being from one gen or another? Absolutely nothing. A game can be from this gen (PS4) and crap, and be a masterpiece from the PS3 gen like TloU

I think you're confused lol

PS: Also i think there's something wrong with the "." button on your keyboard.

"Next gen" is being defined by some as "has a 90+ meta score".

You were right haha

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
It's super obvious that the last gen CPU in particular limits what can be acheived. I don't think it will be long before the Xbox One family is cut.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
There's nothing wrong with targeting next gen. But it's also a fuck you too your previous 100 million customers.

I don't think all games are going to take advantage of next gen hardware even if it's exclusive to next gen.

What industries abandon their previous customers en masse? Maybe I'm thinking to narrowly.

I'm always looking forward to the next experience, but nothing really wows me anymore. Guess I'm just jaded.

Those tens of millions should have been properly served by the time the next machine rolls out. They should have had hundreds upon hundreds of titles to quench their thirst. Why should they expect a commitment to serve them 7 years after the machine they invested into had hit the market? Weird take. This consoles-PC convergence is starting to undermine the very logic behind generations...

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
There. Is. More. To. Games. Than. Using. Extra. Power. For. Shiny. Graphics.

If all you're basing it on is resolution, lighting and frame rate, I'll give you Killzone.

But there's a reason none of those games got out of the 70s on Metacritic. And I was a whole-hearted Ryse apologist. Not a next gen game. Just prettier.
Metacritic scores are irrelevant here. KillZone, Infamous, and The Order 1886 were full blown PS4 titles full stop. This revisionist "they don't count because of Metacritic" drips with console war BS.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
This entire argument is interminable, stupid, and often in bad faith.

Here's the real answer. Prepare to be shocked.

It depends. It depends on the game design, budget, and porting strategy. There's nothing inherent about cross gen games that makes them be "held back". There's also almost never a magic cost-free "scale to last gen" button.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who would of thought, plenty of people on here echoing the same thing Phil said. I guess we'll have to wait and see

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Lol that revisionist history is totally bonkers.

Infamous and Killzone: Shadowfall were "next-gen" and certainly a leap from PS3 games, as was The Order 1886, Driveclub or Ryse: Son of Rome
All those games blew me the fuck away graphically.

I still dont see anything on that level for the new consoles.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Out of curiosity, how viable do you reckon that high-end market is on PC? Would a developer survive in that scenario if they put out a AAA caliber title, without targeting the lowest common denominator?
Good question, I'm probably not the one with those sorts of numbers. But I cannot imagine it being a viable demographic to shoot for, with how expensive game development is. And still even among the high-end PC enthusiast there is still large variables like: SSD? Raytraced enabled GPU? ect. ect.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of funny how meaningless Microsoft's statements about cross gen ended up being. There was so much concern about Xbox One holding back next gen but aside from Halo I feel like most of their big games will release after the cross gen period is over.

Seems like even Microsoft's first-party devs wanted to ditch the OG XB1 as soon as they could.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
I'll believe it when I see actual level / game design (not just graphics) that uses the bigger power features. Ratchet and Clank has been the only game so far that has actually looked like it's doing something new and not just current gen but better somehow.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
It's kind of funny how meaningless Microsoft's statements about cross gen ended up being. There was so much concern about Xbox One holding back next gen but aside from Halo I feel like most of their big games will release after the cross gen period is over.

Seems like even Microsoft's first-party devs wanted to ditch the OG XB1 as soon as they could.

I mean is not as if they could release the games earlier than that, so that was not even a choice

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
It's weird seeing McCaffrey going against the Microsoft PR. Is it just based on the conversations with developers he mentioned or has some news happened that I've missed?

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Switch is really going to be holding the reigns on some big ps5xsx games which absolutely sucks.

I don't get the impression that most big games these days even come out on Switch. That's only going to become more true once next gen starts and the gulf in power goes from large to enormous.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
I wonder how streaming might factor into what Phil was saying there. If you will be able to stream SX games to a phone, couldn't you also stream to an Xbox One?

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
BF4 was an absolute disaster at launch. That was a sufferfest. Even well after launch. And it still didn't look as good as KZSF. Regardless these are two very different games anyway.
Killzone has its share of problems as well.

My only point was a game being cross gen or not does not define it. Bf4 looked great and did some decidedly "next gen" things despite it being a cross gen game.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

Maybe the knew they were a little bit late on majors project and change the narrative in that sense? Cost nothing and is good publicity.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
It's weird seeing McCaffrey going against the Microsoft PR. Is it just based on the conversations with developers he mentioned or has some news happened that I've missed?
More talks (with developers?) as he said but likely Halo Infinite's current state of affairs shortly followed by a seemingly significant delay woke some people up and the increasing talks of the Xbox Controller not evolving (just for the sake of Game Pass compatibility across generations and platforms).

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing wrong with targeting next gen. But it's also a fuck you too your previous 100 million customers.

I don't think all games are going to take advantage of next gen hardware even if it's exclusive to next gen.

What industries abandon their previous customers en masse? Maybe I'm thinking to narrowly.

I'm always looking forward to the next experience, but nothing really wows me anymore. Guess I'm just jaded.

This type of thinking is weird to me. Consoles have always been this way. Heck, technology period. You can't expect a company to support your purchase forever.
Current gen has lasted since late 2013 and you got 7 years worth of gaming out of it. That's enough imo.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
And those tens of millions of people have over 2000 games to play on their system, not to mention cheaper games and cheaper hardware if they bought late. Current gen customers (like me) are not owed releases for their hardware till the end of time. 7 years is not only a huge amount of time to retain support, but much more than that stifles technological, graphical and design advancements in gaming, which is a massive negative.

And yes, I haven't bought a next gen system and have the choice in whether I buy one or not, but at the same time the argument about less value proposition still stands. With fewer or no games designed specifically for said next-gen hardware (eg next-gen only games), next-gen customers get less value proposition.

You're misunderstanding me. My point was simply that your comparison was a bad one, not that I disagree with the "pro" or "anti" consumer aspect of this.

I think offering cross-gen compatibility for a period of time is a pro-consumer decision, in that it offers increased value to current customers who maybe don't want or can't yet afford to buy a new console. If that makes the next-gen console less attractive to prospective buyers, then so be it - they can't be "anti-consumer" towards customers they don't even have yet.

But that's not the same thing as saying that making next-gen only games is "anti" consumer. I don't believe that. And indeed, from a personal perspective, I would prefer a clean break from current-gen hardware for any game that wants it. And if someone doesn't like Microsoft's approach to bringing along Xbox One owners for a couple of years, Sony are opting for the "clean break" they want. And that's fine - not "anti" consumer.

But I'll state again - it's ridiculous how threads like these cause the people who can't stand Phil Spencer to jump out of the cracks in the sidewalk to declare how full of it he is to his alleged "worshippers". And it's equally ridiculous that they aren't moderated into oblivion.

I wonder if MS has considered dropping the XB1 version of Halo Infinite. Could be laying the foundation for that.

Or maybe, and I'm just spitballing here, while McCaffrey clearly has a personal bias in favour of Microsoft, he's still a human being capable of independent thought and doesn't mind contradicting them? Maybe he's not intimately involved in laying some sort of advanced groundwork for a Halo announcement, in what would be an almost comical crisis of journalistic ethics?

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
The number of important MS first party games that are actually cross gen is negligible.That company line was always just there because it fit in the super customer friendly narrative and to blur the lines hiding that their new studios have been acquired a bit too late to produce enough high quality games for the launch window.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
That's true, but there might just be people who wan to play the "best looking" version of Call of Duty, or Madden, or Assassins Creed, or whatever their game is, and that might be enough for those folks. Like you say, Ubisoft doesn't really care if you buy the Series X or 1S version of Assassins Creed. They're not trying to sell new consoles for anyone, but at the end of the day, I think there will be people who buy a new XBOX this fall just to play the prettier versions of those games. Like, if all you play is Call of Duty, I'm not sure Microsoft's (or Sony's) 1st party line up is going to factor into your buying decision one way or the other. On the other hand, if you just wanted to play Halo, then I don't understand why you would buy a Series X in 2020.

I also don't think that most of the game buying public really sits around an analyzes this stuff the way we do.
These people will buy the most popular console.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
XB1 wont hold back Series X cause MS isn't supporting it much past next year anyway. Just look at the games showcase..75% of the stuff shown was next gen only.

The only real question is will a 4TF RDNA2 console targeting 1080p hold back a 12TF RDNA2 console targeting 4K? I'd like to think the answer is no, but as games start to really push PS5/XSX later in the gen who knows..

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phil deserves to be called out. It's a piss poor strategy and they are rightfully getting shit for it. All of you Phil defenders need to remember - it's YOUR money. They are working for YOUR money. You don't owe Sony or MS anything. So let them work for it.
Yeah. Halo Infinite looking amazing is more important for the Xbox brand than it being playable on last gen consoles tbh. Imagine if it looked as good as Horizon 2 visually.

Even if that makes the player base inherently smaller due to being Series X exclusive, that drives a ton of positive attention and goodwill toward the brand and creates a strong narrative heading into next gen. I think kneecapping Infinite to allow it to run on XBONE was a big miscalculation.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
tons of ppl on era think cross gen doesn't matter and it is very inaccurate. Franchises will see a jump once they've been done with cross gen for a couple years. it will be easy to look back and see what evolved with the new power being the only option to use.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

That's how this always works.

Oct 31, 2017
tenor.gif

I remember arguing passionately with folks who were drinking Phil's Kool-Aid and they said I was concern trolling when I told them the obvious truth that scaling has its limits, and wasn't something you would want to do in a new gen especially one with the huge strides in CPU and SSD technology like the one coming up.

Command & Conker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 1, 2019
Is it really a next gen game if all it takes is a res reduction? Your "don't you guys PC" quip makes more sense now.
If a next gen game is on a previous gen, you'd be upset with a resolution reduction? What? Are you serious?

Edit: sorry, misread. And saying 480p was just an extreme example. You can reduce draw distance, eliminate shadows, do all sorts of things in addition to resolution. You know, just like PC games do.

Status
Not open for further replies.