• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blodtann

Jun 7, 2018
It is possible to create games which works well on low end as well as look great on high end systems. The only potential dealbreaker is if you design for low latency high bandwidth IO.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
List one architecture which was abandoned in the last 10 years. We're still running x86_64 CPUs with DDR and a dedicated GPU through PCIe.

Most games still have as minimum requirement either a Core i3 or an old ass Core i5 like mine from 2013. Yeah I know my 3570K is way more powerful than a Jaguar, but current high-end CPUs are monsters, and games scale pretty well on them.

It's true that scalability has its limits, especially in the PC space where it's impossible to plan for every possible configuration. But many games still scale pretty well, even CPU intensive ones. You'll just be able to hit very high framerates with high end hardware. And most people are happy with that, as one of the main pros of PC gaming is the ability to reach framerates whose simple evocation would make any console player dizzy.

Scaling is a thing. It has its limits, but you can run a ton of PC games on 8 year old hardware, as long as you're happy with 720p gaming at 30fps. I know next-gen is coming, but people expecting revolutionary gameplay (thanks to now decent CPUs) are in for a doozy.
Scaling nowadays in PC reaches where Jaguar reaches. With next gen the baseline will be another, much higher than before.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned - Tag Shaming
The vice president is a PR fluff guy. It's his job to paint negatives as positives and make the system and products look as good as possible. Where the issue lies is where deception or misinformation come in to play, but make no mistake, the top guys who work for all these platforms are indeed PR fluff guys, or at least PR is part of their job.

And I'm sure you were vigilant for deception or misinformation during the "supercharged pc" days, right? Please. The Visited by Knack brigade have their biases alongside everyone who parrots Phil Spencer's statements.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Things get especially nutty with the SSDs. The CPUs are brutal, but the SSD/IO complex (especially on the PS5) are like going two generations ahead in progress all at once. There are some new design paradigms that would be actual non-starters on the old drives and CPUs.
Basically went from Geo Metro to a Ferrari overnight.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
If I never hear people describe next generation games as anti consumer again I'll be a happy person.

the discussion and framing around Microsoft and Sony's different approaches as being purely pro/anti consumer basically made those terms Meaningless.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Welcome to reality. Now to collect those apololgies from those "scaling is everything" peeps.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Playstation and Xbox will allow PS4 Pro or Xbox One X min spec games after the next gen systems release.

So far, they have made it mandatory for games to be playable on all SKU's. I wonder if that changes. Will there be developer desire for it? Or will this gen just get cut off completely.

No, because the Pro and the X install base is minimal compared to the base models. It wouldn't make any sense

OP
OP
orochi91

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
And why would you take the first two at face value? Because they've spoken to devs? They're not devs. Let's hear from the devs. Not journalists with unnamed sources
That's...how journalism works?

Why would John or Ryan expose their sources? They have nothing to gain by contradicting Spencer's claims.

If anything, they're doing us a service by clearing up misinformation/misconceptions.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Maybe cause its Monday but I read that tweet 5 times and I can't understand what it is saying. I should go to the doctor.

So he originally had a stance that, "current gen will NOT hold back the next gen" and has since realized that it definitely will. But that mainly applies to the Large Triple A type titles? Why did he assume that before...?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's completely clear cut. No generations are as seamless as this one. The time it takes to make games, when they start and the time they line up, there is going to be overlap and it's not neccessarily holding things back, just the reality and some economics. Yes it's obvious at some point that it holds things back but it's neither here nor there initially when devs are making a current gen game long before next gen takes off and want the install base safety net. Of course in an ideal world they want best specs and those only to develop for and have the install base size to make the most out of it but things don't often line up.

OP
OP
orochi91

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Maybe cause its Monday but I read that tweet 5 times and I can't understand what it is saying. I should go to the doctor.

So he originally had a stance that, "current gen will NOT hold back the next gen" and has since realized that it definitely will. But that mainly applies to the Large Triple A type titles? Why did he assume that before...?
He's essentially contradicting Spencer's claims from a little while back.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Great to see it. There are PLENTY of 2021-beyond games that will be fine and even flourish on current gen or cross-gen.... indies, old ports/remasters, Switch ports, annual sports games, etc etc

Halo is not one of those games. Mega-budget AAA and GaaS games will be compromised, AAA because you can't push high end while supporting Jaguar and GaaS because you are chaining your game to Jaguar for the duration of its life, unless you intend to kill support early (in which case why even bother with cross gen)

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
This happens every generation lol. Cross-gen games will look like last-gen games until devs finally get the taste of old hardware out of their mouths.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And I'm sure you were vigilant for deception or misinformation during the "supercharged pc" days, right? Please. The Visited by Knack brigade have their biases alongside everyone who parrots Phil Spencer's statements.

What? I don't even know what visited by Knack brigade means, or what supercharged pc even alludes to, but yes, of course there is PR on all sides and people who believe it all without question, that doesn't change the merit of the points I raised.

I think what was distinct about this particular example is that it was counter to generations long understanding of cross-gen negative implications. In other words, a pretty big re-write of an established narrative.

Developer insights~

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
He's essentially contradicting Spencer's claims from a little while back.
Bahh, gotcha. Interesting takes... I've worked on Console Exclusives and PC Exclusives and you feel extremely limited when working on a PC Exclusive title, since you HAVE to develop it with the lowest of the low in mind or else you'll get such reduced sales it makes it pointless. Working on a console exclusive is so freeing, because you can just keep squeezing the juice of the console until it doesn't run anymore, then scale back a tad, so your original vision has an easier time holding throughout the production.

There are of course exceptions, like certain engines will scale regardless, but it's always nice to know exactly what you are aiming at.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
It's actually kind of funny how extremely dark the origin of the phrase "drinking the Kool aid" is and how it just gets used all the time without really thinking about that.
Oh yeah that's actually what I was thinking when I wrote that out! It's used for such innocuous things such as this for example lol

Read up on "Jonestown." It's a reference to a mass-suicide/murder by a cult leader in a communal compound.
Oh I know about it! Was just poking a bit of fun at Ryan's choice of words.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
G7UgYIZ.jpg

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the whole point of Unreal Engine 5 is that developers will be able to easily and seamlessly "scale down" assets to fit the requirements of various hardware specs.

The time and effort it takes to create PS4/X1 ports will always be costly, but I have a hard time really thinking that they will really compromise anything beyond graphics.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
for AA indie game it wont matter much as it wont be using the power but for AAA games sure .there is always generation cut offs for this reason.

On another note Xbox marketing for next gen has been not so on point in past few months. I wonder if COVID is effecting that? It seems They need to always address something after whatever they say . From their May events to halo Showing to this where they said we don't believe in generation and most are not convinced as highlighted by Ryan.
On other side their gamepass marketing has been great. Are these same teams or different teams??

Nov 8, 2017
There's nothing wrong with targeting next gen. But it's also a fuck you too your previous 100 million customers.

I don't think all games are going to take advantage of next gen hardware even if it's exclusive to next gen.

What industries abandon their previous customers en masse? Maybe I'm thinking to narrowly.

I'm always looking forward to the next experience, but nothing really wows me anymore. Guess I'm just jaded.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
I've always been wondering why Phil is so adamant in supporting the Xbox One for this long when hardware sales for this line of system is not that great to begin with.
It would be perfectly logical for Sony to keep suppoting their 110+ million userbase and Xbox could have put the One gen under the rug an start anew. That's what I though they would do when they announced Project Scarlett so early.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
People take Phil and Booty's words out of context. If you think about the games announced from first party during the 1-2 year timeframe, it's Halo and psyonauts in addition to Gears tactics, Flight Sim, and Grounded. If I'm missing something then someone let me know. Point is, they made a decision to try and support these games and financially it makes sense for them, regardless of the extra work involved.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've always been wondering why Phil is so adamant in supporting the Xbox One for this long when hardware sales for this line of system is not that great to begin with.
It would be perfectly logical for Sony to keep suppoting their 110+ million userbase and Xbox could have put the One gen under the rug an start anew. That's what I though they would do when they announced Project Scarlett so early.

I honestly think they want to get game streaming working on the One. Get a gamepass ultimate sub instead of a new console.

OP
OP
orochi91

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Bahh, gotcha. Interesting takes... I've worked on Console Exclusives and PC Exclusives and you feel extremely limited when working on a PC Exclusive title, since you HAVE to develop it with the lowest of the low in mind or else you'll get such reduced sales it makes it pointless. Working on a console exclusive is so freeing, because you can just keep squeezing the juice of the console until it doesn't run anymore, then scale back a tad, so your original vision has an easier time holding throughout the production.

There are of course exceptions, like certain engines will scale regardless, but it's always nice to know exactly what you are aiming at.
Out of curiosity, how viable do you reckon that high-end market is on PC? Would a developer survive in that scenario if they put out a AAA caliber title, without targeting the lowest common denominator?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Why people are talking about graphics? It isn't about that but potato CPU. The bigger impact is on NPC (from IA to path finding and animations) and physics (destruction but also clothing).
Most AAA(A) are about very big world supposed to be believable. And a big part of that is with NPC. You felt the city was empty in the CP 2077 demo in the driving part? Thank Jaguar :-)

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
IMHO is because they want to center in GP in the future leaving console production back.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018

Very interesting. Can people remind me why exclusive nextgen games are anti consumer again?

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
There's nothing wrong with targeting next gen. But it's also a fuck you too your previous 100 million customers.
Jesus, no it isn't.

If a developer wants to focus on new hardware and not have to deal with multiple skus and being constrained by it, that's perfectly fine.

This Idea that customes are owed access to new games or that Devs are saying"fuck you" to customers is some serious toxic shit.

Honestly, I really hate how Microsoft's marketing of the series X has created this narrative.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
The whole debate on this has been really weird to me.

Cross-generation releases were always going to happen for the first couple years of a console's life. Developers and publishers aren't going to simply drop an install base of 150M. For some games it'll work, for others it won't. Games are more scalable than ever, but some games will really need the SSDs and the extra CPU power and just won't be feasible on current consoles.

Microsoft has some cross-generation games coming out, but AFAIK haven't they already announced some games that are next generation exclusive?

The whole thing just seems like a non-issue. People placing way too much on what was said rather than what we've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.