• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
8 hours in. Love the game so far. Ichiban is a great character and turn-based system is cool.

Some of the stuff sold in stores are hilarious and exciting.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
I had a few friends interested in this so I've been streaming it (Only on chapter 3). Absolutely loving it so far. This will likely end up very high on my list.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Currently loving it.

Ichiban is a fantastic lead and completely different than Kiryu in a good way.

The story has me completely hooked and the combat is super fast so far.

Oct 27, 2017
I played the demo a while back and found the turn based gameplay to be thee best tuen based gameplay I have ever played so far. Much more interesting and is actually visually interesting compared to Persona or other turn based games.

I watched two bosses (the brothers and THAT persion) of the game for curiosity sake and I gotta say, the bosses feel to damn slow compared to the old games. For a turn based game the bosses and the combat look fast but not as fast compared to the old games. It looks way less hype/intense and much more awkward if I have to be blunt.

Maybe it feels pretty different whole playing it but I am not sure. People might feel differently when being the one to play but I can't say I was not disapointed in wwhatt I saw.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
What bosses are you talking about? I've seen all through chapter 5 and haven't come across anything that appears awkward or slow. Hell, if anything I've been surprised by how much faster the fights are compared to the old Yakuza games. There wasn't a fight at the Seiryuukai place that took longer than 30 seconds.

If you're talking like super late game bosses then of course they'll be slow, at least until more optimal strategy is found to shorten those fights. But I'd much rather have faster random battles off the streets cause those are the ones that seriously eat into your time in Yakuza games, so I think the combat switch definitely hasn't hurt it on that front.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
What bosses are you talking about? I've seen all through chapter 5 and haven't come across anything that appears awkward or slow. Hell, if anything I've been surprised by how much faster the fights are compared to the old Yakuza games. There wasn't a fight at the Seiryuukai place that took longer than 30 seconds.

If you're talking like super late game bosses then of course they'll be slow, at least until more optimal strategy is found to shorten those fights. But I'd much rather have faster random battles off the streets cause those are the ones that seriously eat into your time in Yakuza games, so I think the combat switch definitely hasn't hurt it on that front.
This lines up with my experiences as well. I've not had a long fight aside from one silly one where they kept calling in other enemies as I defeated them! Standard fights are over in seconds, especially with Ichiban's or Namba's amazing AoE attacks, and the boss fights I've done have been super fast fights. I mean, its not as fast as say Kiwami 2's boss fights, but that's more down to Kiwami 2 having hilariously small health bars, but I'd argue its not to far from what other Yakuza games had. Only your not dodging and counting behind someones back!

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I've not had a long fight aside from one silly one where they kept calling in other enemies as I defeated them!
Got my first game over with this one, i knew it would come considering what i was "asked to do" before venturing forth.
Not only he calls for reinforcements, but he heals like crazy him and his goons.
I put down the controller to sleep, and i'm going to retry just now, i want him gone. I have to restart from the beginning of the area though *sigh*

Oct 27, 2017

I don't want to go into spoilers but they are returning characters later into the game (I think)
Kiryu, Majima and Saejima.

It looked really really slow paced. Even though you had nore rounds compared to them. Unlike say some of the older bosses in the games like Kuze, Saejima Vs Kiryu, Majima's various fights, Saejima vs Bear etc.

Maybe it is different when you actually play it (Kind of how looking at Death Stranding's gameplay makes it out to look like a really boring game compared to when you actually play it) but so far it looked like a downgrade.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ah Yakuza, the only series I can think of that spotlights the hardships of the homeless! There's a side story about a wooden bookshelf that's really well done in terms of plot... actually quite a few of the early side stories so far have been excellent. Definitely following in 0/6's footsteps of well written side stories with equal mixes of drama, humor and genuinely touching moments.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't want to go into spoilers but they are returning characters later into the game (I think)
Kiryu, Majima and Saejima.

It looked really really slow paced. Even though you had nore rounds compared to them. Unlike say some of the older bosses in the games like Kuze, Saejima Vs Kiryu, Majima's various fights, Saejima vs Bear etc.

Maybe it is different when you actually play it (Kind of how looking at Death Stranding's gameplay makes it out to look like a really boring game compared to when you actually play it) but so far it looked like a downgrade.

I did one of the spoilered boss fights, or rather, I'm stuck on it. The second one you mentioned happens first and what is supposed to be a really great moment gets ruined by a variety of things, the worst part is that the enemies in the dungeon leading up to it are level 37, yet the boss fight is at level 50, a sudden extreme jump in levels, which is hard to anticipate. I have been grinding for hours now, trying to get to a level I can win there.

Oct 27, 2017
I did one of the spoilered boss fights, or rather, I'm stuck on it. The second one you mentioned happens first and what is supposed to be a really great moment gets ruined by a variety of things, the worst part is that the enemies in the dungeon leading up to it are level 37, yet the boss fight is at level 50, a sudden extreme jump in levels, which is hard to anticipate. I have been grinding for hours now, trying to get to a level I can win there.
Wow. That's one of the things I was worried abouut, the grind.

Makes me think that maybe getting rid of the difficulty modes was a bad thing. I usually have to take break from turn based rpgs due to the grinding (even if I love the game itself) so this is disappointing.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'm curious on the grind is when slowly playing it. I'm mainly doing side stuff now for cash (for gear) and doing side content for EXP etc. Be interesting to see how that all goes, it'll take me forever to get to those points.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wow. That's one of the things I was worried abouut, the grind.

Makes me think that maybe getting rid of the difficulty modes was a bad thing. I usually have to take break from turn based rpgs due to the grinding (even if I love the game itself) so this is disappointing.
One thing I'm curious on the grind is when slowly playing it. I'm mainly doing side stuff now for cash (for gear) and doing side content for EXP etc. Be interesting to see how that all goes, it'll take me forever to get to those points.
I have at this point done all the optional dungeons currently available and almost all substories and rescue バイト quests, and barely reached level 50. I also finished the Holdings Story so I have close to a billion yen, I bought the strongest equipment currently available as well as got even stronger equipment through doing the
Battle Arena, which has enemies until level 60, which are much easier than the boss fight.
The worst part is that past a certain point you are discouraged to switch around jobs, as job Ranks are worth much more stats than simple character levels, and take much longer to level up as well. There are certain Accessories, which give your job exp a multiplier, but these are job specific, and I only found 2 so far.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

Side stuff for earning cash to buy gear etc sounds interesting :)

In previous Yakuza games, money was not a big problem and I had always more than enough....

Putarorex

Sep 16, 2019
When did non-Square Enix games start selling for close to 9000 yen? I haven't been buying PS4 games in Japan much these days and was surprised to see this game's price.

I am about 6-8 hours in and I am really enjoying it. I was worried that the game might go strong on the goofy stuff based on the few trailers I saw, but the story has been serious and entertaining. I really liked Judgement's story and so far this game's story has been engaging as well.

The turn-based combat is different, but I wouldn't say it is a bad thing. I've only had a few tough fights because I wandered into areas with higher level enemies. So far it has been pretty simple, but I could see it getting more complex with the different enemy types.

I wasn't sure about him early on, but Ichiban is growing on me. I like Adachi and Namba as well.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So Ichiban is great?
Yes. Him and his crew rock and so do some of the big bads shown so far. Plot is definitely one of the best (this early) for the series.

Side stuff for earning cash to buy gear etc sounds interesting :)

In previous Yakuza games, money was not a big problem and I had always more than enough....
Mahjong and Pachislots give good payouts if your good at them (plat plates). Plus you can get some cheat items, at least for the slots doing other stuff which is handy. I've leveled up a bit today so the 2/3 star enemy areas are much easier to tackle, like really easy aside from a couple that I don't have weaknesses for just yet (but that's where job change will come in, once I unlock it)

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
I know it only been out for a few days but from the sound of it, some of you are quite far in lol.

So I'm curious about late game...

They still doing Amon? or did they get replaced?

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Hey! Not reading anything because i'm not done with the series yet (waiting for y5 remaster in feb then will follow with y6)

I just wanted to know now that the game is out, is yakuza 7 an actual sequel to yakuza 6? Like, does it require you to know the events that happen in past games? No spoilers for y5 or 6 please!

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I just wanted to know now that the game is out, is yakuza 7 an actual sequel to yakuza 6? Like, does it require you to know the events that happen in past games? No spoilers for y5 or 6 please!
Yes it's a chronological sequel, but Yakuza games in general don't require you to know what happened in past games. They're (reasonably) stand alone.

As this game has a new protagonist it's probably the most newcomer friendly title, but there's still connections/characters to past games.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Yes it's a chronological sequel, but Yakuza games in general don't require you to know what happened in past games. They're (reasonably) stand alone.

As this game has a new protagonist it's probably the most newcomer friendly title, but there's still connections/characters to past games.

Gotcha, thanks!

I mean... having played the series until yakuza 4 for now, I'd personally say they do require you to play the rest, with all the recurring characters and events that happened in past games mentioned everywhere. :P

I know Kiryu and Majima are in so i'll definitely play the rest, I love this series anyway. I'm just asking for a friend that's interested in yakuza 7 but knows nothing of the series.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing that I finished Yakuza 0 last week and I wanted to playing Y1 but I'm not sure if I want to skip it for 7 or not....😬

Does it makes up the entire story of series prior to 7?

There usually is a story recap video. But the plot doesn't continue between games besides Yakuza 5&6. So it's not a big thing if you feel like skipping entries. It's more about knowing characters and seeing the little things be mentioned :)

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I mean... having played the series until yakuza 4 for now, I'd personally say they do require you to play the rest, with all the recurring characters and events that happened in past games mentioned everywhere. :P
Probably the majority of Western players played the series out of order. There's references to past games but it's rarely required to understand the main plot of each game. I started at 3 and had no issues.

I'm just asking for a friend that's interested in yakuza 7 but knows nothing of the series.
0's still a great starting point, but 7 is suitable if they're only interested in turn based or don't want to play the whole Kiryu saga.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
0's still a great starting point, but 7 is suitable if they're only interested in turn based or don't want to play the whole Kiryu saga.
Yup. One of the big things noted in Japanese impressions is how you really don't need lots of prior knowledge of the games to dive into 7. I'm 4 chapters deep and aside from seeing certain buildings from Judge Eyes I really can't think of any nods from past games yet, though obviously later chapters will have more of the classic characters return.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Couple more hours played with almost no actual progress made. Ticked some side stories off, the legend that is Gary Buster Holmes appeared as introduction to the helper system. So glad to see him back. Its a brilliant side story, speaking of which one think I like is that side stories are mixed between both Ichiban centric and party centric, so you'll have Adachi etc. chiming in on some.

What little plot I did take part in had me go to a new part of the map, and unlike past Yakuza games, this part of Ijincho isn't the red light district, but rather a more industrial environment - high rise buildings etc. looks really nice though, weird seeing a city that's larger than just the red light district but really fun to explore.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
About 25 hours in, taking my time with side quests and the like - digging the "game" part of the game quite a bit so far but the writing is a big disappointment? Are you guys who are far in and can read the dialogue actually enjoying it? It feels like a big step down from Y6 and Judgment, which both seemed to learn the value of brevity in conversations. This game jumps back to Yakuza 5 levels of needless exposition, only it's even worse. Just endless amounts of talking, big chunks of it uninteresting. Also lots of bizarre/hard to believe character motivations and logic jumps that make it feel more like a shonen comic than an actual yakuza drama. Y5 was the only other Yakuza game where I started mashing through conversations because they took too long and/or were boring, but I've already done it several times with this one and I'm still only in chapter
seven.
Anyway, I don't mean to be a downer because overall I'm still having a lot of fun with the game, but man, coming off Judgment (which, while not flawless, was pretty damn great IMO), I'd be lying if I said I wasn't feeling a little disappointed...

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
About 25 hours in, taking my time with side quests and the like - digging the "game" part of the game quite a bit so far but the writing is a big disappointment? Are you guys who are far in and can read the dialogue actually enjoying it? It feels like a big step down from Y6 and Judgment, which both seemed to learn the value of brevity in conversations. This game jumps back to Yakuza 5 levels of needless exposition, only it's even worse. Just endless amounts of talking, big chunks of it uninteresting. Also lots of bizarre/hard to believe character motivations and logic jumps that make it feel more like a shonen comic than an actual yakuza drama. Y5 was the only other Yakuza game where I started mashing through conversations because they took too long and/or were boring, but I've already done it several times with this one and I'm still only in chapter
seven.
Anyway, I don't mean to be a downer because overall I'm still having a lot of fun with the game, but man, coming off Judgment (which, while not flawless, was pretty damn great IMO), I'd be lying if I said I wasn't feeling a little disappointed...
I'm just finishing up chapter 3, but there's a LOT of dialogue haha. A lot of exposition.

Fully voiced cutscenes, voiced dialogue at almost cutscenes level quality, voiced dialogue with textboxes and unvoiced conversations. It's actually impressive.

There were very few opportunities in the story to battle so I've resorted to running around fighting goons.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I know it only been out for a few days but from the sound of it, some of you are quite far in lol.

So I'm curious about late game...

They still doing Amon? or did they get replaced?
Amon is the boss of the post-game dungeon, which is actually just the final dungeon with new enemies.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
And by no surprise is HE the post game boss, lol. I was worried for a minute he wasn't in.

As for dialogue, I quite like it so far but I can't exactly follow everything going on. I do agree about the long conversations, that's something that I had an issue with in every game though (I'd argue Judgment and 6 still do that, I can't think of one game that didn't over explain things needlessly), its just something I've come to accept, especially as 7's characters are way better than what we got in every game after 0 so there's that. I'm way more hooked on the game, Judgment was great but I didn't quite gel with some of the characters quite the same way as I am here (and still pretty early in the game).

Anyway, mainly done more side stuff with a hint of story. The plot is kinda going weird places in chapter 4, very interested to see where the heck its going next. Also, anyone that finish the game, just a straight yes/no answer but do they address just what the heck is up with Bar Survives owner? Because... well just looking at his face and I know I've seen that dude before, no doubt.
I am glad that bar conversations are sorta like Snack Bar stuff in 6, only with less choices per conversation (but still key character building stuff). Also cleared more side stories, and really loving them, these are definitely up there with 6's best in terms of quality I feel.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
seven.
So just like most current JRPGs then.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using the lead pipe at the moment myself, seems pretty great. I'm waiting to upgrade to a better weapon (or just unlock modding). I've explored more of the city as I did the next plot point in chapter 4. Heading into the
Seiryu clan hideout next, we'll see how that goes!
As said before, I really do like how this is more than just a part of a city this time, exploring more of the city beyond the red light district is a really nice change (and helps we get some funny dialogue between the characters as you explore).

One thing though, anyone know when I can level up my affinity/friendship with Namba? Looks like the game wants me to continue on with the story? (well, that's what it says in the bar).

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I really loved the demo but I'll have to wait for the English release - the combat was so awesome and I'm excited to see all the special amazing attacks!

J75

Sep 29, 2018
So wait, is the game not blocked from sharing for the entire story? I remember when all the Japanese versions were blocked fully except the Premium Adventure, then i think Judgment let you stream and share certain chapters. Crazy.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
couple question :

1) from what i real, you can take choices in some of the quest ?
2) i heard there is a real estate mini game but different than what Yakuza 0 had

First Yakuza game that I'll skip on Japanese release will wait for Eng ver since it's confirmed.
do we know who is voicing the characters ?

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Is the sound option for the controller not working?

I remember in 6 there was the option to let Karaoke button sounds come from the controller.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Loving all the impressions but I'll probably stop reading the thread because the worldwide release of the game is still possibly 6 to 7 months away.
do we know who is voicing the characters ?
My guess would be no dub. Though maybe since they're shedding the '7' in favor of "Like a Dragon" subtitle maybe they think it'll be more marketable to a bigger audience like Judgment was.
It seems like they will actually do an English dub for the western version this time around. The credits for Yakuza: Like a Dragon were found on the website of the same company that did the Judgment dub but they deleted it after people started noticing that. So there is a good chance that we'll get an English dub for Y7 as well.
www.resetera.com

Yakuza: Like A Dragon credit discovered on PCB Productions (company that worked on Judgment dub) website

EDIT: The credit has now been removed from their website, but this screencap remains: https://www.pcbproductions.com/credit-list Possibly confirms that Yakuza: Like A Dragon will be dubbed in English, much like Judgment and Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise were. Possibly the return of...

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
seven.

I'm only in chapter five so I got a ways to go, but I actually think the writing is some of the best its been, especially in regards to the tricky themes it's tackling and its side characters. There's a lot of talking and a lot of cutscenes, but I also found that they served to endear me to the new cast pretty quickly. It also helps that the lead performance is a lot better than Kimutaku's in Judgement. lol

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm only in chapter five so I got a ways to go, but I actually think the writing is some of the best its been, especially in regards to the tricky themes it's tackling and its side characters. There's a lot of talking and a lot of cutscenes, but I also found that they served to endear me to the new cast pretty quickly. It also helps that the lead performance is a lot better than Kimutaku's in Judgement. lol
Best?? I don't even know what to say. I would rank it bottom three at the point I'm at. Feels like bad anime to me, made worse by the fact that the writers seemingly had no editors to cut down the script. Anyhoo, let's chat about it on Twitter once we're both done. Hoping it picks up in the second half, but keeping expectations in check...

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I think a lot of the script "logic jumps" (at least up to what I've seen through chapter 5) rely on the understanding of ninkyou. That's not a new concept to Yakuza games of course but Ichi takes it to a whole other level likely fueled by his sense of justice like the Hero in Dragon Quest. Moments such as confronting the Seiryuukai head on and the ensuing conversation with the boss there as well as the previous encounter of the Korean mafia that was upcharging for electricity where Ichi comes out of a seemingly perilous situation by simply stating that what they were doing was wrong and they should be ashamed of themselves can be seen as awkward to an outsider, but honestly ninkyou is extremely important to organized crime in Japan. I highly recommend reading up on it if you're not familiar.

That said, I'm still relatively early in the game's story, and it's fully possible that the complaints made in this thread are speaking about other events that I haven't come across. I think thus far the writing has been quite strong, especially when considering it has to introduce not only a brand new cast of characters but also a whole new location and enemies.