• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
We'll see tomorrow, but fair to say that both cards are absolute beasts this time

The perf improvements from SAM will benefit both vendors and as of now is actually better on Nvidia's side considering it works on more CPU's. I suppose again it goes back to stock, RT and the VRAM argument

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
We'll see tomorrow, but fair to say that both cards are absolute beasts this time

The perf improvements from SAM will benefit both vendors and as of now is actually better on Nvidia's side considering it works on more CPU's. I suppose again it goes back to stock, RT and the VRAM argument

its good to see an amd I've never seen in terms of gpu development software and hardware.

Sam is very nice and proof legit comp makes nvidia respond.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I'll take any of the GPUs at this point lol. I'm building for the first time ever. Just ordered the Ryzen 7 5800x on Amazon. Once I get a GPU, I'll order all the other stuff. But it's been a huge pain in the ass trying to figure all this out as everyone is rushing to buy these new parts.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The perf improvements from SAM will benefit both vendors and as of now is actually better on Nvidia's side considering it works on more CPU's.
We'll see about this one.
There is no clear guarantee that NV's solution will work with Intel CPUs en mass so to say, beyond some very specific motherboard models.
And it's 100% in AMD's power to lock out NV's h/w from using BAR on Zen3 motherboards.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
its good to see an amd I've never seen in terms of gpu development software and hardware.

Sam is very nice and proof legit comp makes nvidia respond.
We always always always need competition in every market, you ever want to be limited to one choice.

Look at how much AMD shook up the CPU market, Intel would have taken their sweet time to transition into 8c/16t for mainstream products
We'll see about this one.
There is no clear guarantee that NV's solution will work with Intel CPUs en mass so to say, beyond some very specific motherboard models.
And it's 100% in AMD's power to lock out NV's h/w from using BAR on Zen3 motherboards.
Good to know, thanks for the heads up.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
There is some hope when it comes to the stock situation - Kyle Bennett is saying that AMD's AIB stock is five to seven times larger than that of nVidia's. He does also note that AMD didn't expect to shit the bed so to speak, so that while they will have a lot more stock, they don't expect to be able to fulfill the demand that's out there. Quoting directly -

What you are going to see will be different from what NVIDIA has done.

AMD MBA cards will be in short supply up front. However, where you saw NV front-load almost all its cards, AMD is backloading. Once AIB cards hit, you will see 5 to 7 times the inventory released than what NV has shipped total in NA at this time. AMD will be heavily back-loaded into the channel. AMD is shipping ASIC BOM kits nearly daily to AIBs at this point and it will continue to happen throughout Q4. There will be a decent supply through Q4.

Now let me say this again as it is worth hearing. There is no way that when AMD was doing its projections for supply, that it could have even fathomed that NVIDIA would totally shit the bed on 3080/90 supply for the quarter, effectively abandoning the $500 to $1000 GPU TAM. NVIDIA has left such a gaping hole in the market that there is no way it can be filled currently. From my information and analysis, AMD projected to grow its portion of the TAM and will have inventory to do that. The sad fact is that NV simply abandoned its customer in that market and there is no possible way for AMD to fill the void.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I'll take any of the GPUs at this point lol. I'm building for the first time ever. Just ordered the Ryzen 7 5800x on Amazon. Once I get a GPU, I'll order all the other stuff. But it's been a huge pain in the ass trying to figure all this out as everyone is rushing to buy these new parts.
Yeah, they're all good GPUs, you really would probably be fine picking up wheatever is available

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
We always always always need competition in every market, you ever want to be limited to one choice.

Look at how much AMD shook up the CPU market, Intel would have taken their sweet time to transition into 8c/16t for mainstream products

I got a ryzen and am upgrading to 5900x.

Shame intel isn't adjusting like nvidia is. They have had bad lucking going down in cpu size.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
even with weak RT im glad amd is being competitive in raster performance and price . More options are always better than less

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
It's not an apples to apples comparison obviously but the results which I've heard about should be in line with that.
Basically, 6800XT will go down significantly with RT enabled in titles which make heavy use of it.
Whether you personally will be okay with getting a card at 3080 price which will sometimes perform like 3070 with RT enabled is totally up to you.
Notice that there are no path traced games in AMD's slide also and Control - which is arguably the heaviest hybrid RT title out there right now - is also missing.
We will see all the proper benchmarks tomorrow.
To be fair, it's not like people can buy a 3070 unless you get lucky at 3 in the morning and can beat the bots. It's either try and get one of these at launch before they sell out or wait until the middle of next year when stock hopefully stabalize.

Koldanar

Oct 1, 2020
This is the first time I'm actually contemplating an AMD / ATI based card since back in the Voodoo 3 days. My old built-in ATI card couldn't handle transparencies back in Everquest, and I haven't looked back since.

Now I'm hoping to replace my aging 1080 GTX for 4k gaming.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, it's not like people can buy a 3070 unless you get lucky at 3 in the morning and can beat the bots. It's either try and get one of these at launch before they sell out or wait until the middle of next year when stock hopefully stabalize.

Stronks......

Don't need to be a bot.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't expect it to be any different for RDNA2 launch.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If these are competitive or better in raster performance and the HDMI 2.1/VRR work, I'm going this route. There still aren't enough raytraced games for me to prioritize RT performance.

Shame about the TDR with multimonitor setups, though. My Radeon VII had that. It was persistent, not frequent, but persistent. I wonder if AMD will ever get that resolved?

Oct 28, 2017
And here we go.gif

AMD-Radeon-RX-6800-XT-DXR-Ray-Tracing-1440P-Performance-1200x653.png

Exodus comparison:

metro-exodus-rtx-2560-1440.png

Ouch, and those were hand picked by AMD.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
For another comparison, Rich Leadbetter has the 3080 doing 115 FPS in Battlefield 5 (1440p, Ultra RT, no DLSS).

www.eurogamer.net

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 review: a big boost to ray tracing power

Digital Foundry's review of the RTX 3080, the first Ampere graphics card and one that delivers incredible performance -…

Am I crazy, or do they not mention what CPU they are using (I can't watch the videos right now and can only read the text). I'm not getting results this good with my 3080, but I think I'm pretty hampered by my 6700k (overclocked modestly to 4.4).

Oct 29, 2017
Am I crazy, or do they not mention what CPU they are using (I can't watch the videos right now and can only read the text). I'm not getting results this good with my 3080, but I think I'm pretty hampered by my 6700k (overclocked modestly to 4.4).
They're using a 10900k.
www.eurogamer.net

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 review: welcome to the next level

Digital Foundry's review of the RTX 3080, the first Ampere graphics card and one that delivers incredible performance -…

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
Is buying directly from AMD not usually an option during a new GPU launch? I ask because there's a "Buy Direct" button on the RX 5700 pages at AMD's website.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, fine, but these are still priced the same as Nvidia cards. Why should they get an out for being behind the curve?

The 6800XT and especially 6900XT are priced below Nvidia's offerings. The 6800XT was already rumored to have 2080Ti DXR performance. Consumers can make a decision if they prefer the possibly higher non-ray tracing performance and price vs. prioritizing ray tracing.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, fine, but these are still priced the same as Nvidia cards. Why should they get an out for being behind the curve?

Cause you don't practically expect someone with no experience to compete in something it's their first time at.

Benchmarks are nice but so is context. it's nvidia 2nd gen and you need to pay a premium for decent rt still.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
Sooo, where should I stake out for 6800XT tonight? Do we know when they're going up on sale? What sites should I be registered for?

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently using a RX580, so both a 3070 and a 6800 would be a gigantic upgrade for me. Are they both pretty comparable or is one clearly better than the other? I don't care about raytracing.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently using a RX580, so both a 3070 and a 6800 would be a gigantic upgrade for me. Are they both pretty comparable or is one clearly better than the other? I don't care about raytracing.
6800 is better than the 3070 but also slightly more expensive. You'll also get more VRAM though.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually contemplating getting an AIB 6900XT next year to go along with my AIB 3090. o_O At least then, I'd always have the best card for any given game.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017

What you are going to see will be different from what NVIDIA has done.

AMD MBA cards will be in short supply up front. However, where you saw NV front-load almost all its cards, AMD is backloading. Once AIB cards hit, you will see 5 to 7 times the inventory released than what NV has shipped total in NA at this time. AMD will be heavily back-loaded into the channel. AMD is shipping ASIC BOM kits nearly daily to AIBs at this point and it will continue to happen throughout Q4. There will be a decent supply through Q4.

Now let me say this again as it is worth hearing. There is no way that when AMD was doing its projections for supply, that it could have even fathomed that NVIDIA would totally shit the bed on 3080/90 supply for the quarter, effectively abandoning the $500 to $1000 GPU TAM. NVIDIA has left such a gaping hole in the market that there is no way it can be filled currently. From my information and analysis, AMD projected to grow its portion of the TAM and will have inventory to do that. The sad fact is that NV simply abandoned its customer in that market and there is no possible way for AMD to fill the void.

Interesting info from Kyle Bennett (formerly?) of HardOCP. Looks like AIB launch may have way more availability than the reference launch tomorrow in a reverse of what Nvidia did.

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
6800 is better than the 3070 but also slightly more expensive. You'll also get more VRAM though.
Do you think these cards are overkill for someone who still uses a 1080p monitor?

Also, I currently have a Ryzen 5 3600X processor, think that'll require an upgrade to run these cards effectively? I'm pretty PC illiterate so sorry for the questions.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Do you think these cards are overkill for someone who still uses a 1080p monitor?

Also, I currently have a Ryzen 5 3600X processor, think that'll require an upgrade to run these cards effectively? I'm pretty PC illiterate so sorry for the questions.
Hell no they aren't overkill. High refresh rate gaming at 1080p is still my target.

Feb 11, 2019

3070 is fine, 6800 seems like a bit of overkill at 1080p. I definitely would not go above 600 dollars for a GPU at 1080p with current performance levels.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017

Depends on your needs.

No card is perfect especially if you throw in 144hz or 240hz situations.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017

I'd agree with the responses above. CPU is fine for these cards. You'll have the headroom for high refresh rate or ray tracing if you wish.

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Appreciate the responses. I just wanna be able to play games at 1080/60 for the next few years.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
So can AMD cards properly run VR? Planning on a build soon, and just need something around the level of a 3060ti/2070 for VR on my Quest 2.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
In the US? Releasing at 9AM EST at retailers. Should be on AMD's site, B&H, Newegg, Best Buy, and Amazon.

Thanks! Is there a preferred AMD GPU manufacturer? I remember using XFX in the past, but wondering if there's one that's lauded above the others (kinda like how people say EVGA is one of the better Nvidia manufacturers).

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Current RT is tuned specifically for Nvidia. Now that consoles are here that will change. You already see how well the 5700xt is doing in dirt 5, godfall, valhalla, black ops etc. Performance trajectories are upwards for AMD and downwards for Nvidia from here on out. Let us not forget that low level APIs still mostly suck on Nvidia hardware as well and those will become the standard this gen.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Current RT is tuned specifically for Nvidia. Now that consoles are here that will change. You already see how well the 5700xt is doing in dirt 5, godfall, valhalla, black ops etc. Performance trajectories are upwards for AMD and downwards for Nvidia from here on out. Let us not forget that low level APIs still mostly suck on Nvidia hardware as well and those will become the standard this gen.

I really don't think that applies for RT with RDNA2 vs. Ampere. It's just straight up slower.

I can see AMD taking a lead in raster performance that widens over time, but they're never going to catch up in RT performance with this generation of cards.