• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I'm so happy to see the Sapphire love. My Sapphire 7970 was one of my favorite cards of all time.

Nov 2, 2017
Gears 5 turned out to be dynamic, ranging from 1080p to 4K on Series X. 2080 can do much better than that.
With higher than ultra PC settings and extra graphical features like SSGI... Without knowing how much these impact performance it's an apples with oranges comparison. DF saw a benchmark of Gears 5 running on the XSX and the performance was comparable to the 2080. Ask Dictator if you don't believe me.

I don't get your argument. We know how many CUs the XSX has, we know the clock speed and we know the architecture. Are you really trying to make the argument that consoles perform worse than PC equivalent hardware because that would be a first.

Even based on RDNA1 & 5700xt we can estimate the XSX at the level of a 2080.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
With higher than ultra PC settings and extra graphical features like SSGI... Without knowing how much these impact performance it's an apples with oranges comparison. DF saw a benchmark of Gears 5 running on the XSX and the performance was comparable to the 2080. Ask Dictator if you don't believe me.

I don't get your argument. We know how many CUs the XSX has, we know the clock speed and we know the architecture. Are you really trying to make the argument that consoles perform worse than PC equivalent hardware because that would be a first.

Even based on RDNA1 & 5700xt we can estimate the XSX at the level of a 2080.
I believe you, I saw the DF video. Just saying that you're underselling the difference between the console GPUs and the high end segment in 6800/6900.

Nov 2, 2017
I believe you, I saw the DF video. Just saying that you're underselling the difference between the console GPUs and the high end segment in 6800/6900.
I just don't think 30-40% is very significant in this case. To put things in perspective at the end of 2013 for $550 you could buy a 290x that offered 3x the raw power of the fastest console. Now $579 buys you 1.33x the raw power. Isn't that just sad? 200% vs 33% extra performance for the same amount of money. The 290x was a card that could last through the entire gen though.

cjn83

Banned
Jul 25, 2018
I just don't think 30-40% is very significant in this case. To put things in perspective at the end of 2013 for $550 you could buy a 290x that offered 3x the raw power of the fastest console. Now $579 buys you 1.33x the raw power. Isn't that just sad? 200% vs 33% extra performance for the same amount of money. The 290x was a card that could last through the entire gen though.

It's great! Better consoles this time.

gimbles123

Oct 27, 2017
We have DF saying the XSX is on par with a 2080 in Gears 5. Based on what we know about RDNA2 we can also make a pretty accurate estimate. The XSX has 25% less Tflops than the 6800 on the same architecture. Like I said that doesn't give you an exact performance difference between them but it gives you a fairly confident estimate of what to expect.

That's kind of my point yeah. These cards are going to struggle next gen and people will throw out the term "unoptimized" when their 3080/6800xt isn't able to hit 60fps at 1440p at console settings without really knowing what they're talking about.

My point is that your estimate is off in regards to performance differences. See link for Gears 4k benchmarks on 2080: https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/9199/gears-benchmarked-1080p-1440p-4k/index.html#Benchmarks-4K

53 FPS Average, which is exactly why Gears is dynamic on XSX (DF found the average resolution around 1700p if I remember correctly). 6800xt is 83, and 6900xt is 90 (see AMD slides) at native 4k. So an increase of 56.6% and 69.8% respectively. These new cards are much stronger than consoles. In principle I still agree with you. They won't last the whole gen for people who are chasing peak graphical fidelity, but you are underrating their capability. Also they are not going to have to downgrade to 1440p to reach 60fps, that's straight nonsense. Unless you want to throw hard raytracing settings into the mix which would be a completely different conversation.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
videocardz.com

SAPPHIRE teases Radeon RX 6800 XT PULSE - VideoCardz.com

Sapphire now teases Radeon RX 6800 XT Pulse Sapphire today revealed the first render of its upcoming custom Radeon RX 6800 XT graphics card from the PULSE series. The manufacturer already published a render of its NITRO+ series, which means that Sapphire has two custom models in development...

Sapphire-Radeon-RX-6800-XT-PULSE.jpg

SAPPHIRE-NITRO-RX6800XT.jpg

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
wccftech.com

ASUS Warns of Low AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Stock at Launch, AIB Custom Cards To Launch 1-2 Weeks Later

ASUS's Nordic representative has warned of low AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT graphics card stock at launch & AIB model availability 1-2 weeks later.

Following is the statement from the ASUS rep regarding the AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT stock:
It will be quite limited: more RX6800, fewer 6800XT ... as with basically all graphics cards now, we expect that everything will be gone in a few minutes so you need to hang on the lock.
Then it is 1-2 weeks later until we start delivering our Partners cards, too early to say what the supply looks like there, but the demand will probably continue to be great

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
I have a 3080 but I'm fucking excited!! Let's see them benchmarks!! Might be building something for my sister soon so I'm curious

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Benches seem as advertised but a little worse?
RDNA isn't going to show anything stellar against Ampere in compute benchmarks.
Ampere is significantly ahead in pure flops crunching metrics.
It's also absolutely unknown at the moment how the cache thing will influence compute applications. It may well end up being somewhat useless there.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
So what will be the equivalent of AMD to the hypotetical RTX 3060?

Do we know anything about it?

FlyingLlama

Oct 29, 2017
Hoping to grab a 6800 XT and then when an update drops for my Bios either a 5600x or 5800x...

Time for me to go full Team Red for the first time EVER!

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Taking Teraflops as gospel here, the 290x wasn't even 2x faster than the PS4/7870.
I think people really are underestimating how good the PS4 was to make the new Consoles sound better, really the PS4 was amazing for $400, the Xbox One was the exception due to Kinect, they clearly gutted the specs of the good ol Xbone so the loss per console wasn't so bad with kinect bundled.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
So what will be the equivalent of AMD to the hypotetical RTX 3060?

Do we know anything about it?

We still don't know. Supposedly the RTX 3060 should be aroun 2080 levels of performance. The 5700XT was already 2070 Super equivalent, so I think that AMD will have a good competitor in this area. Mid-range battles are always good

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
We still don't know. Supposedly the RTX 3060 should be aroun 2080 levels of performance. The 5700XT was already 2070 Super equivalent, so I think that AMD will have a good competitor in this area. Mid-range battles are always good

I wish they took priority on that range instead of the high range.

Need to know prices and stuff, AC Valhalla got me really worried about next gen but don't think there is any point in paying more for a GPU than a next gen console since I'm only going to play in 1080p and not higher

braisbr1

Oct 4, 2019
Hi Era! I was thinking of getting an AMD 6800 XT when it launches, seeing as it's supposed to be quite capable and having a good 16 GB of vram. I'm hoping that would be quite good for productivity purposes, but something I couldn't see any info on is the ray tracing capabilities. Would anyone know a bit more on that regard that can enlighten the rest of us?

FlyingLlama

Oct 29, 2017
Hi Era! I was thinking of getting an AMD 6800 XT when it launches, seeing as it's supposed to be quite capable and having a good 16 GB of vram. I'm hoping that would be quite good for productivity purposes, but something I couldn't see any info on is the ray tracing capabilities. Would anyone know a bit more on that regard that can enlighten the rest of us?

I don't think much, if anything at all has been said about raytracing yet other than it is DXR which is DirectX's raytracing.

braisbr1

Oct 4, 2019
I don't think much, if anything at
I don't think much, if anything at all has been said about raytracing yet other than it is DXR which is DirectX's raytracing.
Thanks for the info :) I don't feel very confident about the fact that they haven't said anything yet on that regard, but hopefully my fears are unsubstantiated and they'll have something decent performance wise. Might not be enabled for all games that currently support ray tracing, but here's hoping that at the very least it works well within game engines...!

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017

Posted before? Well well..

Twilight zone where Nvidia is doing something that is hardware agnostic (Intel & AMD) while AMD is exclusively Zen 3