• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rente

Oct 31, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Is it me, or it's been a really, really long time since AMD competed in the high end? What was their last card to compete with the most powerful Nvidia card? 7970?

I'm excited to see more on Super Resolution. Seems interesting and potentially will also come to consoles, which makes it even more interesting.
7970 and Radeon R9 290X, after that downhill.

I'm in this boat: If AMD had anything special about ray tracing or a DLSS alternative in the near future, they would have shown it.
Lots of smoothed comparisons, little substance (similar to NVIDIA in their presentations).

And I'm afraid the Infinity Cache will be a problem in the future - it's a cheaper solution than GDDR6X or to use more than 256-bit interfaces or HBM, of course, but it probably needs good driver and game support too.

Last edited:

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the 6800 is basically the Xbox Series X GPU but a little bit more powerful, right?

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Do I miss somethig or did the baseline cost of what's considered the "good but not crazy good" GPU tier across both vendors just go up a whole freaking notch with this announcement? Like really, a 3070 which is 500+ bucks now? What the fuck?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the 6800 is basically the Xbox Series X GPU but a little bit more powerful, right?
Should be meaningfully more powerful, but in a lot of ways yea.

Definitely going to be in for a 6800xt upgrade from my 5700xt. The 6900xt is extremely tempting, but I'll need to see some benchmarks and a few AIB cards.

I have a Reference 5700xt, and will probably be getting a AIB model this go around. Does Gigabyte usually make AMD cards, or would something like a Red Devil probably be the best bet?
How has your driver experience been?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Do I miss somethig or did the baseline cost of what's considered the "good but not crazy good" GPU tier across both vendors just go up a whole freaking notch with this announcement? Like really, a 3070 which is 500+ bucks now? What the fuck?
3070 at $500 is 2080Ti which was $1200.
In what world is this "cost go up"?

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
3070 at $500 is 2080Ti which was $1200.
In what world is this "cost go up"?

Of course GPUs become faster each generation. That doesn't mean it's automatically a crazy good price. Also isn't this usually how it works, the 70 series becomes the previous gen's 80ti series. Worked like that for 980ti->1070 iirc.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Of course GPUs become faster each generation. That doesn't mean it's automatically a crazy good price. Also isn't this usually how it works, the 70 series becomes the previous gen's 80ti series. Worked like that for 980ti->1070 iirc.
Yes it is?
You're looking at card names as if they mean anything.
You should look at perf/price instead.

And there will be 30/6000 series cards below $500 too, of course.

May 31, 2018
Ohio
Should be meaningfully more powerful, but in a lot of ways yea.

How has your driver experience been?

I purchased literally the day that they were released, and at first, it was definitely a rough experience, especially with older games, not necessarily newer ones.

I didn't have any of the black screen issues that some ran into, and didn't have but one or two caches when it was first released.

Within the last 6 months, they've been really good. I haven't had a single crash, or any issues whatsoever, and they've actually improved the overall performance of the gpu.

I would definitely recommend the overall Radeon Software to anyone. The overlay has tons of features and if you'd like you can set specific settings for individual games or just global settings, built in over/underclock is all in the same software as well.

Its a very solid experience.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Yes it is?
You're looking at card names as if they mean anything.
You should look at perf/price instead.

And there will be 30/6000 series cards below $500 too, of course.

Maybe I'm being stupid but by that logic price for technology would go up infinitely because it's always getting faster. Like, what is your baseline?
Compare price/perfomance of PS1 vs. PS5 then ten thousand dollars would probaly still be a good price for a PS5 no?

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
I purchased literally the day that they were released, and at first, it was definitely a rough experience, especially with older games, not necessarily newer ones.

I didn't have any of the black screen issues that some ran into, and didn't have but one or two caches when it was first released.

Within the last 6 months, they've been really good. I haven't had a single crash, or any issues whatsoever, and they've actually improved the overall performance of the gpu.

I would definitely recommend the overall Radeon Software to anyone. The overlay has tons of features and if you'd like you can set specific settings for individual games or just global settings, built in over/underclock is all in the same software as well.

Its a very solid experience.
Mostly agree, in that it's the least painful GPU software I've used, but I just had a hell of a time getting HDR turned on in the software in a way that didn't look terrible. Had to dig out and test a combo changes in the app, but Win10 is partially to blame for that.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Lisa Su is great, can't be said often enough.

wa9ebOxDXfBpDTSNfnQ7PGERpXvhiLnQMpKXQbmxaK8Ig96hNfenJ4n1JBXPmcX_mRMa7zuMfehPsw=s640-nd-rwa

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Great prices AMD, but I have to stick with Nvidia for now. I am so glad that there is competition at this level. Nvidia had better get their stock situation in order. AMD is coming for that ass once they have a competent DLSS solution.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'm being stupid but by that logic price for technology would go up infinitely because it's always getting faster. Like, what is your baseline?
Compare price/perfomance of PS1 vs. PS5 then ten thousand dollars would probaly still be a good price for a PS5 no?
You didn't account for inflation, so a fair price for PS5 would be more like $40k.

I'm shook too. My last Radeon was a relatively high-end splurge at $300.

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
I'm still having PTSDs from past experience with AMD drivers. So, this and DLSS make me lean on NVIDIA.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Price will go as high as people are willing to pay, and yeah, historically it can go into infinity.
But if you'll be able to get a +50+100% product for the same price which your previous one cost you then there is no issues with price.
Both 3080 and 6800XT are great products because they vastly improve performance which you can get at their price points.
Same goes for 3070 and 6800. And same will go for 3060 and 6700, with the former likely landing around 2080 while costing some $350.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Prices are good till you get to the RX6800. Really disappointing. They should have been aggressive with the pricing. Go equivalent for better performance. Nvidia has way, way more market share than they do.

Nvidia already has stuff like DLSS, Shadowplay, the low latency stuff, etc. as well as just generally better presence in people's minds. AMD needed to be aggressive since the RX6800 is what your average enthusiast might actually be looking at.

Daeoc

Oct 27, 2017
MA
I think I'm still switching to Nvidia and going with the 3070 because I play at 1080p 144hz, OpenGL/RT performance, and DLSS.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely going to be in for a 6800xt upgrade from my 5700xt. The 6900xt is extremely tempting, but I'll need to see some benchmarks and a few AIB cards.

I have a Reference 5700xt, and will probably be getting a AIB model this go around. Does Gigabyte usually make AMD cards, or would something like a Red Devil probably be the best bet?
There was a rumour of the 6900XT being AMD exclusive. And if past launches indicate anything, it may be over a month before partner cards of the 6800XT come out.

Gigabyte does make AMD cards, quality didn't seem too outstanding from what I remember from the 5000 series. Sapphire generally seemed one of the better makers.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
6800 is more expensive and more power hungry than the 3070. Huge pass. Good thing I wasn't expecting much.

The 6800 is by far the most disappointing card. They actually seem to have a halfway decent product but have completely hamstrung it with that price. They've recognised they can't match Nvidia's pricing by putting the 6800 XT $50 below the 3080 but then proceed to price their 3070 competitor $80 above the 3070. Its completely nonsensical.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Looks really good and the reviews are going to be really interesting. I was hoping more information about their version of the IO accelerator tech and direct storage support. Not convinced they can match DLSS or nv RT perf. Maybe RDNA3 can bring them closer. The 6800 is way too pricey.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly feel like MS and Sony probably want to support AMD however they can to get this feature running on their systems. Would give a nice performance boost.

And hopefully mean more 60 fps and 120 fps games too. With DLSS the increase in perf is utterly insane. Like, we're talking what 40fps to 90 in cases?

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
And hopefully mean more 60 fps and 120 fps games too. With DLSS the increase in perf is utterly insane. Like, we're talking what 40fps to 90 in cases?

I'm really just hoping it means they can at least hit stable 4k/60fps in more games, anything higher is always welcome though. Or if they're adding a performance mode with dynamic resolution, that means it's hitting that 4K more often than not, and only dipping slightly lower when needed.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really just hoping it means they can at least hit stable 4k/60fps in more games, anything higher is always welcome though. Or if they're adding a performance mode with dynamic resolution, that means it's hitting that 4K more often than not, and only dipping slightly lower when needed.

Yeah. If you want a 3070 but scaled up in price and performance with more RAM performance, then like, yeah it's good. But for AMD's side they really needed to beat Nvidia here. Not just scale up linearly.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
I'm still having PTSDs from past experience with AMD drivers. So, this and DLSS make me lean on NVIDIA.

Same. Glad they've got some cards that look very competitive but after my Radeon VII experience it will be a long time until I buy an AMD GPU again. Absolutely awful, stupid issues that I had none of with my GTX 1070 and none of (thus far) with 3080.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The 6800 is by far the most disappointing card. They actually seem to have a halfway decent product but have completely hamstrung it with that price. They've recognised they can't match Nvidia's pricing by putting the 6800 XT $50 below the 3080 but then proceed to price their 3070 competitor $80 above the 3070. Its completely nonsensical.
It's faster than 3070 and will probably be on par with it in RT so the price makes sense.
I also kinda wonder if their original plan for 6800XT was to price it well above $650 but this went out of the window when NV put 3080 at $700. This would explain the weird delta between 6800 and 6800XT which doesn't make much sense from costs perspective.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Nooo I missed this presentation! Looks good based on the OP pics though! Is there a video up for rewatch?

ColdDeckEd

Jul 25, 2018
You can rewatch the presentation on amds youtube.
It's faster than 3070 and will probably be on par with it in RT so the price makes sense.
I also kinda wonder if their original plan for 6800XT was to price it well above $650 but this went out of the window when NV put 3080 at $700. This would explain the weird delta between 6800 and 6800XT which doesn't make much sense from costs perspective.

5700 and 5700xt didnt make much sense either. 6800 could take a very similar path as 5700.. Dead as soon as 6700xt is ready with 12gb and 192bit bus...

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
They're not bad at all tbh, but the worrying thing is still the lack of an answer to DLSS (Yes they're working on it but we still have no date) and no RT benchmarks.

If I was just going to play this/last gen games, these would be excellent cards. But not something that I would use in the future without more information.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
All looking good, the one thing I wish they had done though is somehow gotten together with nvidia and tried to have them open source DLSS or even just get it supported by Radeon so that the whole industry would benefit. Things like that won't benefit much from competing tech unless they're both supported no matter what brand you buy.

Rente

Oct 31, 2017
Cologne, Germany
it absolutely isn't. It used to be, but now it's either

Game turns on HDR for you from the game itself

Or

turn on HDR from windows display settings, then launch game

It's amazing how on this forum some stigmas stay around for years after they are a non issue (or practically so)
And that's ok for you? You also forget that HGIG is not supported at all right now, overlays crushing HDR, issues with more than one monitor (especially if only one is capable of HDR).
Oh, and the whole 8 Bit, 10 Bit, 12 Bit, Chroma and Black Level mess that only just works if the driver for your GPU is used for it.

Windows 10 has many open issues and weird choices regarding HDR, especially if you compare it to PS4 oder XBOX right now.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Are they all the same 3 fan set up? Guess they havent showed the card that is 2 fans.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Wow they are even competitive against the 3090. And it will probably be a smaller card and much more power efficient. Still they didn't talk about RT so the rumors have to be true (2080 Ti level).

Next cycle will be really interesting.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Wow they are even competitive against the 3090. And it will probably be a smaller card and much more power efficient. Still they didn't talk about RT so the rumors have to be true (2080 Ti level).

Next cycle will be really interesting.

Yes, AMD doesn't want to show benchmarks for games with RT, whereas Nvidia only wants to show games with RT + DLSS.

At least in AMDs favor, the ratio of non-RT games to RT games is like 1000000 : 1 at present.