• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
RIP.

This doesn't change the election stakes much because it was always likely that she would be replaced on the bench during the next president's term. This makes it a bit more explicit though.
I disagree. The republicans that were going to sit on the fence are going to come out and vote for trump to get control of the Supreme Court. Even if it destroys the country.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
It won't be a popular opinion (may even cope a ban since I imagine a lot will be upset due to the timing), but there's a lot to Ginsberg's legacy. She did a lot, but in some ways I feel like she encompasses the short-sightedness of liberals in America. She had so many opportunities to retire during Obama's tenure when Dems had control of the Senate and she was already the oldest judge on the bench, but she didn't. While it's fair to say few could see Trump coming, or at least someone as bad as him, foresight could tell you that eventually a Republican would be in that office again. Even she often said that the symbol of America was the swinging pendulum going back and forth. But she chose not to, she chose to grew old and feeble while holding a precious seat on the highest court in the land, and that was noble in its own right as there's no guarantee Obama would have picked a truly worthy successor nor that the GOP would have voted for one (not sure if Dems would have nuked the filibuster for SC nominees, they might have since they did for lower courts but neither here nor there). Now all of the things she fought for, her legacy, is in jeopardy of being washed. It's an incredible endpoint in a lot of ways to the American experiment, almost feels symbolic, that good tends to have tunnel vision while evil is always looking to the horizon, and that's why evil will always win in the end.
Well unpopular in the fact that they have a life appointment, and she still wanted to work. And in fairness, she too thought HRC would win - which I will go to my grave thinking she did. Some day, down the line, someone will find all the pieces.

I really can't blame her. She fought so hard this whole time. Nothing but respect.

However....this election was through the orrf insane batshit crazy, and now Roe v Wade is up for grabs? Every evangelical who maybe had decided enough was enough is right back in the GOP voting booth. Even if just 1 or 2 % of them are back in action, that's enough in these razor-thin margins.

It was such a nice sunny day today too. : (

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
So...
1)appoint another stooge
2)contest elections
3)backed up by SC
4)president for life?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
This is so much worse than we really think it is

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
First and foremost rest in peace to this beautiful and strong soul.

Secondly,

200.gif

So, you sat out of the 2016 election as a protest vote. How did that go for you?
Less than 100,000 votes!

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
The 2016 election really was the most important day in American history. I voted for Clinton, but the country failed itself.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Now we know why Trump has been more vocal about this. They piece of shit is probably celebrating.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think this is the news where I feel just saying "vote" is like.. the most useless thing. By the time the voting starts it'll be too late, and every single one of you know that. Voting doesn't solve every problem and it doesn't solve THIS problem. Biden isn't going to stack the court even if he wins.

This needs to go beyond voting.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I was already volunteering but I'm going the extra fucking mile now. Not going out with a whimper, fuck that into the sun.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
The fucking dread I am feeling right now.

No meaningful action on climate change, no meaningful action on race, the economy, Roe v Wade being overturned and in turn setting a global precedent for the continued erosion of women's rights, and so, so much more.

We are in the absolute worst case scenario.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
It won't be a popular opinion (may even cope a ban since I imagine a lot will be upset due to the timing), but there's a lot to Ginsberg's legacy. She did a lot, but in some ways I feel like she encompasses the short-sightedness of liberals in America. She had so many opportunities to retire during Obama's tenure when Dems had control of the Senate and she was already the oldest judge on the bench, but she didn't. While it's fair to say few could see Trump coming, or at least someone as bad as him, foresight could tell you that eventually a Republican would be in that office again. Even she often said that the symbol of America was the swinging pendulum going back and forth. But she chose not to, she chose to grew old and feeble while holding a precious seat on the highest court in the land, and that was noble in its own right as there's no guarantee Obama would have picked a truly worthy successor nor that the GOP would have voted for one (not sure if Dems would have nuked the filibuster for SC nominees, they might have since they did for lower courts but neither here nor there). Now all of the things she fought for, her legacy, is in jeopardy of being washed. It's an incredible endpoint in a lot of ways to the American experiment, almost feels symbolic, that good tends to have tunnel vision while evil is always looking to the horizon, and that's why evil will always win in the end.
This isn't controversial IMO. Human beings come with good and bad, we can acknowledge both. She definitely should have retired.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
RIP RGB.

I'm going to offer some optimism to the people in here.

The way Republicans pushed Kavanaugh through in 2018 was electorally bad for them during the midterms.

If McConnell does push someone through this time, not only would it make it harder for Republicans to retain control in the Senate, but would make it much easier to justify Biden packing the court next year.

So, even if Biden is most likely going to win, the Senate flipping is less likely to do so. So McConnell's play here is to wait and get a more moderate Biden appointment or rush someone through and then get two Biden appointments who will most likely be on the Court for decades.

Having majority of the SC for decades is well worth losing some senate seats and the presidential election.

This has been the dream for the GOP for decades, you don't think they're not going to do it even if it looks bad? It doesn't matter, once they're there they're there.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RIP RGB.

I'm going to offer some optimism to the people in here.

The way Republicans pushed Kavanaugh through in 2018 was electorally bad for them during the midterms.

If McConnell does push someone through this time, not only would it make it harder for Republicans to retain control in the Senate, but would make it much easier to justify Biden packing the court next year.

So, even if Biden is most likely going to win, the Senate flipping is less likely to do so. So McConnell's play here is to wait and get a more moderate Biden appointment or rush someone through and then get two Biden appointments who will most likely be on the Court for decades.
I've yet to see any evidence Biden will pack the court.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
To be clear I don't think he'd do that because he doesn't think it matters enough. If he thinks it'll help republicans in the election he'd absolutely do that. Sure the optics are ultimately worse, but he'll also have two years for the public to forget rather than 2 months
What the fuck does optics have to do with anything here? Even if Trump loses this means a LIFETIME appointment to the court.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well shit.

just gonna say this fucking sucks and quote Lord Fanny's post

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
You know she fought to cling to life as long as she could, but we're pretty fucked that this happened now. Rest in peace

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
After legends like John Lewis already having died, Ruth Nader Ginsburg's passing is absolutely devastating news.

Rest In Peace to a stalwart activist/lawyer/justice.

You know what would have been better than an 87 year old cancer survivor being a "warrior" to stymie an absolute shitshow? Retiring when we had a democratic president and senate.
You continue to have a broad range of awful and incredibly myopic political views as if they're largely devoid of genuine perspective, and/or lived experiences. Trust you aren't alone in this, but an inability to even be decent in a thread announcing someone's death?

Yeah, permanent ignore list.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Nah fuck that. I'm tired of all the old white people acting like republicans and the GOP can be reasoned with/letting their heads get so inflated that they fail to consider the needs and wants of marginalized communities in this country. What did she accomplish by staying under Trump? Nothing.

Obviously RIP, but this didn't have to happen and it's fair to point that out considering how fucked we are.
It's gross that within the hour of a woman dying, people decide they should talk about how with the weight of the world on her shoulders she didn't single handedly save us? No, fuck that, she had no obligation to do what others thought was the most strategically viable option for an entire party, she was a warrior that people want to call out in her moment of departure for not saving them? Again, fuck that. RBG wasn't a villain, she was on the right side of history, and it's fucking gross to take this moment and say "Well she shouldn't have politically fucked with my fantasy football politics".

Of course, I'm not in the least bit surprised this gross ass take is extremely prevalent on our good old progressive forum.

Oct 25, 2017
Guys/gals, do NOT for a second kid yourself. No one cares what Romney, Murkowski, etc say now. They will 100% confirm a replacement before inauguration day.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Our only hope is on a handful of Republicans that will put country before party..... we're fucked. Country divided for the rest of my lifetime, American dream is dead.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like, I know the rational fear to have that the GOP will just push this through to get another notch on their belts, but I wouldn't be surprised if they actually agree to hold off until after 1/20 just so they can use the empty seat to drive GOP voter turnout like in 2016 as well as to try and keep the Dems from going nuclear and packing the courts if they take over (not that they would, but it'd certainly make it less likely).

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Devastating news. RIP. She spent her life as a champion for liberal and progressive causes.

Fucking thinking about Supreme Court Judge Ted Cruz or Tom Cotton is puke inducing.

Does people understand how utterly important it is that you go out and vote? Roe V Wade has never been as threatened as it is now.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
RIP truely a legend.

The republicans are disgusting enough to take advantage of this, and the Supreme Court is going to tilt conservative for decades. I actually don't think I have it in me to stay in the US. What a bad fucking year this has been.