• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
RIP QUEEN

this is so fucked.

This was just a headline last week
www.nbcnews.com

Trump’s Supreme Court shortlist is ‘terrifying,’ LGBTQ advocates say

The list includes several judges who argued against gay marriage and one who refused to use a transgender defendant’s preferred pronouns.

In less than four years in office, Trump has confirmed over 200 judges — two to the Supreme Court, Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh, and 53 to appeals courts. By comparison, President Obama confirmed two Supreme Court justices and 55 appeals court judges during his entire eight years in office.

According to a 2019 report from Lambda Legal, eight of 12 appeals courts — which sit just below the Supreme Court in the judicial hierarchy —are now composed of more than 25 percent of Trump appointees.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
RIP to America. It was a good run.

The Republicans are going to push through the worst possible candidate they can find and this country is going to be sent back to the fucking dark ages.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Legendary woman, RIP :(

GOP probably throwing a PARTY right now, they're definitely going to force through a candidate before the election. Americans just played themselves hard.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
RIP RBG.

The Republicans won't try to replace her now. They'll leave it open until after the election to motivate their (rabidly anti-choice) voters. Then, win or lose, fill the seat before January. Y'know, because they're monsters.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
My only hope is that the Dems take the Senate and then they pack the shit out of the court.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Hahaha

Been studying for the bar for 4 months

Got the notification as I was about to start reviewing criminal procedure.

Cannot bring myself to care given like...half of these rights will be gone soon enough now.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
We're fucked. Plain and simple.

Yep. The Senate will fast track the most conservative Justice they can into the position, and it will do everything possible (in conjunction with Trump's packed lower courts) to ensure Trump stays in power.

Screw over the Postal Service? Yep. Ninth Circuit put USPS fuckery on hold, but as soon as it gets to the Supreme Court, they'll fast track a ruling that throws the Ninth's ruling out. Nothing's going to be off the table - *nothing*.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
If McConnell and the GOP had a shred of dignity, they'd at least remain consistent with how they blocked Obama last time and wait for the new president to take office. If they had an atom of dignity, they'd respect RBG's dying wishes.

But of course, it's the GOP we're talking about here. Fuck.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case then why replace her before the election? Trump and Co. can use the open seat a rallying point to get everyone on the right to show up. "Vote for me, the Supreme Court is on the line!" etc... Assuming they lose the election and have until January to appoint a new judge, what do they have to gain by ramming one through now?
If there are going to be court cases related to the election ala Bush 2000, which there very well may be, they need their yes man in the seat ASAP.

Oct 25, 2017
f u c k

RIP

Were going to have to be ready for a bloody fight, in the political sense ...I really hope it doesn't come to real blood.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
RIP.

This doesn't change the election stakes much because it was always likely that she would be replaced on the bench during the next president's term. This makes it a bit more explicit though.
Well the good news is that she won't be replaced under the next Presidents term!

the bad news is because she's going to be replaced under this Presidents term.

RIP. This one hurts.

It sucks that the seriousness of the timing means that the time to mourn the passing of an absolute titan in American legal history will be next to nil.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, RIP

If there wasn't a case for why we should court stack before there definitely is now. Otherwise enjoy conservative judiciary for the next 20-30 years

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
We're so fucked. Get ready for the GOP to slam through a nom before the election and the shit stain Mitch to come up with a reason why it's totally okay this time.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
The pit in my stomach is about the same as I had after the results came in on election night 2016. Worse, even.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Time to try to change the rules to get rid of supreme justices. Impose an actual limit to how long they serve, get the fuckers trump put in place out, whatever it is. It would be the time to do it. Good luck US.

That would only impact future justices. So no point in doing that.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
My guess is that McConnell is gonna slow the nomination process to drive up turnout for November, and then push the nominee through the lame duck.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
It's pretty difficult to keep one's mind from running with this and projecting all the ways this could go very, very, very badly.

Cbrun44

This is beyond awful. RIP.

Why the fuck could people not just have voted for Hillary. Legitimately if you didn't I have so much hate for you. We knew this was what was going to happen. America is fucked now.

Take back the White House and Senate.... stack the fucking courts.

Canti

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know how to process how fucked we are. She fought with everything she had, RIP.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
an extraordinary woman.

... and, fuck everyone who didn't vote for Hillary.

this is going to be a real test for some of the republicans. murkowski has said recently she wouldn't support filling a vacancy this year. the senators up for reelection have a real hand grenade with this news. if trump overplays his hand with a radical to energize his base for the vote, theres some hope but the prospect of a second nominee being jammed through after the election is frightening.