• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

macjester

Dec 12, 2018
Easy...whynotboth.gif: Killing in the name of for the social commentary, Rusty Cage for Cornell's vocals...

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Killing in the Name.

I've been on a RAtM binge recently and while not all their stuff holds up it's still surprisingly relevant.

Oct 27, 2017
Rage is my all time favourite band, to the point I have a RATM tattoo on my ribs.

But fuck KITN. So, so, so sick of that song.

Chris ftw here.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like these random, 2 enter 1 must leave, battle threads need at least like a single sentence in the OP of justification. Is it because they are both rock songs? Both released in 92 (though many months apart)? Both have a thumbnail of the lead signer mean mugging the camera? Give me something! Anything!

Oct 27, 2017
Confused as to why we are doing this comparison, but gotta go with Rusty Cage

Soundgarden > RAtM

Especially when we are talking Badmotorfinger

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
"Killing in the Name Of" was the first mp3 I ever downloaded, in the pre-p2p era. Nothing can compete with that.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
See, if you said Outshined I would go that way, but in this particular duel, I'd go KITNO.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Killing in the Name is such a powerful song. Amazing song writing and vocal work. Rusty Cage is a pretty boring song by Soundgarden standards. Cornell is terrific as always, but it's pretty plain.

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
Hate to sound like a hipster but Killing In The Name Of isn't even that good of a Rage song (not that it's bad or anything, they just have better songs). I get the effect of repeating the lyrics but Zac has better lyrics. I'm a huge Cornell fan so I'd probably take most Soundgarden songs over Rage songs, as I would in this case. Those vocals are too good and the riff is too groovy. I do love the main riffs in KITN, fun to play on guitar.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Only one of those songs has lyrics about burning diesel burning dinosaur bones so that's what I'm going with

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Finally a "harder" rock thread here I can enjoy. KITNO because I hadn't really heard someone get increasingly pissed off over the course of a song. Chris still one of the greatest voices ever though

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Rusty Cage has a bit more bop to it, KITNO is a bit too meandering, and the breakdown is messy

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Had to search for that song from Soundgarden, dunno if I've ever heard it before.
Answer is Killing in the Name of.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Rusty Cage by a lot. I love RATM but fuck is that song overplayed. I wouldn't even consider it one of the good songs off that album.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Killing in the Name is actually my least liked RATM song while Rusty Cage is my favorite Soundgarden song, so...

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Killing In the Name

This was an easy decision to make. Rusty Cage is honestly one of the weaker Soundgarden songs and especially singles.
KITN is great social commentary if nothing else. But it also rocks quite hard.
btw Fresh Tendrils is like top-tier Soundgarden, I don't understand how it was never a single.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Rage gave rock music a template for remaining relevant and we squandered it on Foo Fighters and Nickelback.

Never got hugely into Soundgarden specifically because Cornell's vocal style was 80s metal banshee inspired.

That said, RATM's first album isn't where it's at. That would be The Battle of Los Angeles, which just. Keeps. Coming at you.

It's so wrong to lump in Foo Fighters with Nickelback. The band's first two albums were awesome, and yes they did kind of water things down as they progressed (or... regressed) but still, even their worst songs are better than anything Nickelback did.