• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also funny that people apparently aren't allowed to disagree with criticism, especially from someone who hasn't even seen what they are criticizing

This on the same forum that'll tear apart a critic that reviews a game they admit to not finishing.

I get y'all love Scorsese for what he's done for filmmaking, but people are allowed (expected, even) to reply to his comments. Especially the two people who directed the movie he commented on. They kept it respectful and gave their two cents. What's weird about that?

The only appropriate response is to kowtow to a more respected director when he shits on a movie you put a lot of passion into?

Jon saying that Marty can have his own opinion was fine. The brown nosing wasn't necessary though. Marty has a lot of money and awards, he doesn't need to have his ass kissed constantly.

That's literally all this is. Any response that wasn't "yes sir, Marty, we'll try to do better next time!" was gonna get looked down on.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But, at the end of the day, what do we know? We're just two guys from Cleveland, Ohio, and 'cinema' is a New York word. In Cleveland, we call them movies

aw shucks, we're just two down home millionaires in charge of the biggest hollywood productions of all time, we don't know nothin' bout no fancy city folk words

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
And with the Russo brothers now having weighed in on this topic, surely this will be the last news item about this.

Please?

This is the first time they've said anything about it lol

It's not a criticism of the Russo's, or even their response, which I feel is pretty good. But more a criticism of how protracted all of this has been. I can't wait for 6 months from now when Jeremy Renner weighs in on this.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why say anything at all after all this time though? I thought we were done with this circus lol

It's a circus? A filmmaker just commented on a movie, and the two people who directed it finally weighed in on it. What's it matter how long they took to speak their piece?

I don't get how it's weird that the Russos of all people wanted to respond. It's their movie lol

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My eyes just rolled so far back into my head that they've created their own gravity.

Russos, you REALLY don't need to waste your time responding to this shit. It just makes you look petty and wounded.
So like a lot of the Marvel fanbase here then lol. That quote aligns with a lot of nonsense I had to read int he related threads.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They also call trump president in ohio

Anyway, Arrested Development is true kino

shauntu

Oct 27, 2017
With so many people speaking about Russo's movie, I think it's ok for them to comment about it as well.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
It's crazy, half the posts saying not this shit again yet they're in another thread about it responding 😮. Idk what's wrong with them saying something about it, Martin made a comment about what they've spent years on and made and they gave a response, nothing mean spirited at all. It's confusing why people are ridiculing them.
If someone criticizes your work you can defend or comment on it, no matter who it is.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Scorsese needs to shut the fuck up. You didn't like their movies; get over it. He's critical about super hero movies when he's done the Italian American gangster drama with the same cast of characters for how long? You sound petty cause you're a real auteur and this is trash?

Don't be a d bag martin

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting, though not surprising, that none of the marvel directors have actually engaged with the substance of Scorsese's argument re: corporate influence over cinema, and are just responding to the "MCU isn't cinema to me" part of the comment he made. It's probably easier and more beneficial to cast themselves as the underdogs and frame this is a discussion of elitism from an older generation rather than talk about the impact of the their works in the broader landscape of filmmaking as part of the most lucrative entertainment company on earth.

Bisha Monkey

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
It's interesting, though not surprising, that none of the marvel directors have actually engaged with the substance of Scorsese's argument re: corporate influence over cinema, and are just responding to the "MCU isn't cinema to me" part of the comment he made. It's probably easier and more beneficial to cast themselves as the underdogs and frame this is a discussion of elitism from an older generation rather than talk about the impact of the their works in the broader landscape of filmmaking as part of the most lucrative entertainment company on earth.
Exactly, from a technical point of view thats where his argument holds stronger, no one has had the guts to reply to that one objectively factual truth.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Scorsese needs to shut the fuck up. You didn't like their movies; get over it. He's critical about super hero movies when he's done the Italian American gangster drama with the same cast of characters for how long? You sound petty cause you're a real auteur and this is trash?

Don't be a d bag martin

He's made three gangster movies with De Niro and Pesci in the last 3 decades (all of which are pretty thematically and aesthetically diverse). Gangster movies from Scorsese aren't flooding the market from a company that is locking away classics from repertory cinemas in their "Disney vault" and pushing smaller movies out of theaters. The DOJ is also looking to roll back regulations that allow movie studios to own distribution as well, which is what caused monopolies among powerful studios that necessitated the regulations in the first place. On their own the safety and inoffensiveness of MCU movies aren't something Scorsese would even be talking about, but they are a part of a much larger problem to the art form which is whole point.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Don't be a d bag martin
t72g1ds8t3u31.png

Bisha Monkey

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
User Warned: Hostility toward another member

Don't be a d bag martin
You need to shut the fuck up. See, the thing is he was in an interview and was approached with the question of what where his thoughts in comic adaptation movies, the difference is that you weren't asked of your opinion though.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
what's Ja's take on all this?

Can't someone finally just say "okay, pedo defender" and just move on?

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Don't be a d bag martin
he's made 35+ movies over the course of like 5 decades and 4 of them are about the mob. people keep ringing this bell that Scorsese is some one trick pony and showing their ass as having no knowledge of his actual filmography as if this guy didn't make Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore and King Of Comedy and Kundun and Hugo and Silence

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Another "response" that doesn't even touch on Scorsese's more important point about the impact these movies are having on cinema at large.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
people clowning the emotional success bit

but I've never heard so many people openly weep during a movie before

honestly the only movie experience I have that came close to seeing Endgame in theaters in terms of the shared emotional vibe was Cast Away
Millions of people emotionally invested in characters they've grown to know for over a decade and somehow that's not about emotional success. I watched this movie with my 50-year-old mother who's barely watched any of the MCU movies and she wept like a baby at the ending.

Oct 27, 2017
They just can't let this go.

Scorsese's comments are fine but one side continues to hash and re-hash them because they had their feelings hurt.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's an argument that can be made without watching a single frame of the movies though - and is not an argument about the underlyuing craft. Which Scorcese undermined his original position with by admitting he hadn't actually watched them.

If he had, he'd be speaking from a strong position - one of the best filmmakers of our time - discussing the content and nature of some of the most successful movies of our time.

But even then there's a catch. Even if you hate all the movies and think they're corporate trash, they don't fit the Transformers mold - and some of the choices they've made are actually closer to art house than to Michael Bay - including letting a New Zealand based auteur -- Taika Waititi -- make a giant, spectacular, Jodorowski-infused ad-libbed comedy - built entirely from panels of deep lore from the original material. Or deliberately pushing back against Hollywood reflex and making a black helmed, black cast, black subject matter spectacle that flew in the face of rising right wing white nationalism and gave African American kids a near rapturous release from a century of whitewashed cinema - especially in big budget epics. And while those movies are all rife with tropes and bad habits, Captain Marvel gave my daughter something she'd never have had when I was her age.

I'm certain that Disney focus tests, market researches and tunes these things to economic perfection, but they take risks, they work with excellent filmmakers and actors, they do things that absolutely push the medium forward in business and diversity terms. They prove out markets.

But they also do something fundamental. I think a lot of Joseph Campbell's writing and research on the hero's journey is now kinda obvious and old fashioned, but the bones of human mythology and storytelling originate from hero myths, memorable stories of good versus evil, of right versus might and of the hero as a symbol of human progrss - of overcoming adversity and of reaching for righteousness. If Campbell were writing today, he'd be dissecting those myths with the Marvel films as the mostb relevant and current underpinning of that thesis and what it says about the human conditions. You don't have to be a film school snob to see that.

And Scorcese himself - along with Speilberg and Lucas and Coppola and that generation, have all previously stated that the things that drove them to make films, were those technicolor saturated matinees in their childhood, with heroes and spectacle and myth making happening on the big screen - stories that let people immerse themselves in fantasy and heroism and other worlds. The final irony is that Scorcese lived long enough to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on CG, to tell a story that will work just as beuatifully in a basement with a 65 inch TV as it does in a theater, funded by a giant company that builds its brand on metrics, data and shareholder value.

I don't reject anything Scorcese said about that system of movie making or its pitfalls, but I reject his authority to do so without watching the material that came out of it seriously and with an open mind.

If I described a film to you and said, It's a CG intensive three hundred million dollar genre movie made by a giant publicly traded corporation as a part of an exercise to bring in more subscribers, you'd be mistaken for thinking I meant Disney Plus, but that's literally The Irishman.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What's there to respond to? Whether a corporation is backing it or not, these movies still have to be produced by someone with some sort of vision. In the case of the MCU, that vision has resonated emotionally with audiences, no matter how much Scorsese and co. claim otherwise.

They just can't let this go.

Scorsese's comments are fine but one side continues to hash and re-hash them because they had their feelings hurt.

It's their first time responding to him. What the fuck are you talking about?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They respond because it stings them and they know there is truth in it. That's when people get most defensive.
No they respond because it's not true and that's why it bothers some No they respond because it's not true and that's why it bothers some Scorcese is wrong straight up not to mention the fact he hasn't seen any of them.

My eyes just rolled so far back into my head that they've created their own gravity.

Russos, you REALLY don't need to waste your time responding to this shit. It just makes you look petty and wounded.
Petty is exactly the ones defending Scorsese comments

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Also, the balls on the Russo Brothers to go 'We are just a bunch of guys from Cleveland, not some hotshot from New York' when talking about Scorsese. Scorsese came from a poor family in Queens and he worked his way up on his own merit. Joe and Anthony Russo are the sons of a rich attorney and went to an expensive private school. Not quite 'just a bunch of guys from Cleveland'.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Just let it end already. Martin Scorsese gave his opinion. That's it. We don't need a full inquest into his comments.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Petty is exactly the ones defending Scorsese comments

I'm not sure why people who made multiple multi-billion dollar films need to defend themselves against a director who doesn't think the brand of movies they make is good for cinema as an art form.

They made their money, they're successful. Trying to be like "WE MAKE PEOPLE HAPPY" doesn't really address some of the points Scorsese was making in the first place.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
They respond because interviewers fucking asked them the question. It's not like they are going around slamming Scorsese. They produced a movie coming out this week and obviously some websites want a headline to get clicks and they know just talking about 21 Bridges won't get any.

So when asked the question a certain group of you pretty much want them to say "yeah my films fucking suck and are targeted towards idiots who are brainwashed by Disney corporate overlords" in order to be happy? They made films in the series, obviously they are going to defend them to a certain extent. Most of the people responding from the MCU have always said they respected Scorsese's opinion and yet some of you guys don't care. It's like you already know where you stand and just want to shit on people for giggles.

Some of you deriding the MCU are just as pathetic as some of the defenders popping into every thread to just endlessly complain and rag on people like it makes you feel better about yourself.

Last edited:

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time someone from Marvel or Disney responds to Scorsese it just ends up making them look stupid and makes Scorsese seem even more astute on the subject than he really is.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And Scorcese himself - along with Speilberg and Lucas and Coppola and that generation, have all previously stated that the things that drove them to make films, were those technicolor saturated matinees in their childhood, with heroes and spectacle and myth making happening on the big screen

Hence why I'll never understand the insistence on denying the MCU has already inspired an entire generation of future filmmakers.

I'm not sure why people who made multiple multi-billion dollar films need to defend themselves against a director who doesn't think the brand of movies they make is good for cinema as an art form.

They made their money, they're successful. Trying to be like "WE MAKE PEOPLE HAPPY" doesn't really address some of the points Scorsese was making in the first place.

I'm likewise unsure why you think they need to justify having an opinion on Scorsese's comments to you, especially when they were explicitly asked about it lol.

They made a movie. They're proud of it. They're proud it made people happy, and they think cinema isn't some term reserved for art house flicks that've received the old guard's stamp of approval. Saying so makes them petty simply because they're successful? Are we ignoring this entire conversation kicked off with comments from another successful director, or?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The points Scorsese were making were pretty poor in the first place, MCU movies are cinema as any other movie.
Every time someone from Marvel or Disney responds to Scorsese it just ends up making them look stupid and makes Scorsese seem even more astute on the subject than he really is.
No Scorsese comments are the same as they were when they were initally made and they are not correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.