• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

Russian Film Crew Beats Tom Cruise to Liftoff, Readies First Feature Shot in Outer Space

'The Challenge' is set to begin shooting aboard the International Space Station ahead of Tom Cruise's planned $200-million outer-space epic.

The Cinematic Space Race is on!

More than 60 years after the Soviet Union beat the U.S. into orbit with the launch of its Sputnik satellite, a new space race is heating up between the two rivals. And once again, the Russians are claiming bragging rights with plans to produce the first feature film shot in outer space, ahead of Tom Cruise's upcoming $200-million space epic.

"The Challenge" is the story of a Russian doctor who's sent to the International Space Station to save the life of a cosmonaut. If all goes according to plan, the production team will lift off next month on a 12-day mission to pull off the historic first.

A collaboration between Russian space agency Roscosmos, public broadcaster Channel One, and leading studio Yellow, Black and White, "The Challenge" will be directed by Klim Shipenko, whose blockbuster comedy "Son of a Rich" is Russia's highest-grossing film of all time. The movie stars Yulia Peresild, a veteran screen and stage actor who was cast after a country-wide talent search last spring.

Shipenko and Peresild are scheduled to blast into orbit on Oct. 5 in a Soyuz spaceship piloted by Anton Shkaplerov, a veteran cosmonaut, with a backup crew on standby in the event of any last-minute medical problems.

Last year NASA announced that it was partnering with Elon Musk's SpaceX and Tom Cruise to shoot a movie that would be partly filmed aboard the International Space Station. Directed by Doug Liman, the untitled pic was rumored to have a budget of $200 million

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Mr President we cannot allow a space movie gap!
giphy.gif

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy, have you seen the Cruise missile mad? You dont want to get him mad I tell ya.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
lmao i read "Russian film crew beats Tom Cruise" without the rest and was very confused for a second

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was never really a race. Cruise announced his movie and the Russians went herp derp we are going to do it first herp derp. Cruise and company never responded saying the race is on or anything

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It was never really a race. Cruise announced his movie and the Russians went herp derp we are going to do it first herp derp. Cruise and company never responded saying the race is on or anything
The race is always on for the cruise missile
tom-cruise-run.gif

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Shoot for the moon bc if you miss you'll end up in the stars (without air and supplies)

Dr.Horrible

Oct 27, 2017
Serious question, but why do you need/want to shoot a movie in space other than saying you did? Can't the effect of being in space be captured well enough with modern techniques?

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
Did a big rock really fall behind him like that third clip?
It's cgi

Serious question, but why do you need/want to shoot a movie in space other than saying you did? Can't the effect of being in space be captured well enough with modern techniques?

Movies are a business. If some producer decides paying the price to actually go to space has a pretty good chance to turn into a profit due to publicity and the novelty factor then it can happen.
It's no different than a studio deciding to go shoot a James Bond movie in 8 countries all around the globe and moving hundreds of people to do so instead of filming everything in a soundstage in London.
Ultimately the goal is to make a profit. For some movies that means cutting costs as much as possible, for others that means betting on making an "event movie" or a big spectacle.

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there was a Russian movie about one of the Soyuz missions that was claimed to have been shot in space already, but I guess that was bullshit. lol

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
www.npr.org

A Russian actor blasts off to make a movie on the International Space Station

The film is reportedly the first feature-length fiction movie shot in space, telling the story of a doctor who rushes to save the life of a cosmonaut aboard the International Space Station.

The Russian actor reached the International Space Station on Tuesday morning, Eastern time, along with fellow crew members of the Soyuz MS-19 spacecraft — veteran Roscosmos cosmonaut Anton Shkaplerov and film producer Klim Shipenko.

The crew is traveling to the ISS to film portions of a movie called The Challenge.According to The New York Times, the film will be the first feature-length fiction movie shot in space. The movie will reportedly tell the story of a Russian doctor who rushes to save the life of a cosmonaut aboard the International Space Station.

Peresild and Shipenko will stay on the space station for 12 days before returning to Earth, with Shkaplerov planned to stay through next March.

The film crew may not have trouble finding space to film aboard the station — at 356 feetlong, it's roughly the size of a football field.

Peresild isn't the only actor to visit space this month. William Shatner will join the crew of Blue Origin's New Shepard for a spaceflight on Oct.12. Shatner played the role of Capt. James T. Kirk in Star Trek and at 90, he'll become the oldest person to have flown in space, according to Blue Origin.

Hollywood may soon reach low-Earth orbit as well: Last year, the NASA administrator at the time confirmed the agency is looking to work with Tom Cruise on a future movie filmed in space.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have no faith that anything shot in space isn't going to end up looking like crap because you can hardly light the scene

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I have no faith that anything shot in space isn't going to end up looking like crap because you can hardly light the scene

The novelty will be enough for me regardless, can't wait.

Propaganda.

Russia can't compete with China and the US anymore, so they're making movies.

Space-Launches-2020-Q1-Q3.jpg

That's cool with me. Say what you want about propaganda films but no nation is as good at imbuing artistry in their propaganda like the Russians. Soviet Montage, Come and See, etc. Just stellar movie making.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing more Russian than trolling the US over meaningless dick-measuring bullshit I guess