• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There is no war in ba sing se

35bfgon.gif

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I view it as a pre-emptive precaution. putin opened the door to fucking with elections systems via the internet.

I partly view chinas president "for life" also in a similar manner.

Russia defintly participated in fucking with western elections, and I wouldn't be surprised if china did too.

now they are taking actions to prevent the west from fucking with their elections.

I doubt this would prevent that. This seems more about keeping control of their internet than keeping people out.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I can see this going terribly for them. It's one thing to start off completely restricted like China or North Korea. But Russians have been pretty involved on the internet since the start.

Edit: at least in the WWW era after the USSR fell.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we are going to see a lot of this going on in the 2020's.

Id be shocked if there arent people in the US looking at China right now taking notes.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
From what I'm reading from Googling (ex. article), this seems less like an attempt to make a Russian walled garden and more like they're encouraging the transition to local IT companies instead of foreign IT companies for their infrastructure.

While the latter would be necessary to achieve the former, are they actually attempting to do that? I wouldn't be surprised if they were, but I hope that they're not.

Edit: Eesh.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
So yet more countries are withdrawing from the the world wide web and making their own little playground to protect citizens from the truth?

More like the US is surveilling everybody so every country is trying to ensure national security and infrastructure away from the US-controlled Internet

People who study the internet and their infrastructure easily knows why Russia is doing this. Everyone else is as well, so this is nothing new. Brazil for example