• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Out 1

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that there is only one authorized Coronavirus testing facility in Russia, and it's far from Moscow (in Novosibirsk).

Not true. It used to be that way in the beginning, but now the tests are widespread.

Obviously there is a healthy level of mistrust towards the government, but I don't think anyone is hiding real numbers. It's impossible to hide overrun hospitals and hundreds of deaths.

Overall, I think the government response has been adequate. They closed the border with China back in January. They have been screening flights from China, Italy, France, Spain, etc + screening flights from Moscow to some other Russian regions. Plus, quarantining everyone coming from these countries, or anyone with a fever. Without a doubt, the response to this threat has been very serious.

It's worth noting that Russia has more hospital beds per capita than any major country other than Japan and South Korea. Moscow alone (pop. 12.7m) has more ventilators than Italy. Additionally, the city is building two temporary hospitals for COVID-19 patients. Though it's not going to be enough if there is an epidemic.

I'm highly critical of Putin and the Russian government, but I suspect - when the stakes are high - they are very competent. If they were hapless idiots, they wouldn't have survived 20 years in power. Moscow mayor, in particular, has been excellent throughout this whole ordeal.

edit:
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/21/europe/putin-coronavirus-russia-intl/index.html

Moscow health officials denied the accusation and said they were testing pneumonia patients for coronavirus. The WHO's Dr. Vujnovic also was skeptical about Vasilyeva's claim.
"If there was a hidden, unrecognized burden somewhere it would be seen in these [pneumonia] reports," she said. "So I do not believe this is happening, which does not say that you might not see an increase of cases in the next period, because we have seen that in many countries."

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm highly critical of Putin and the Russian government, but I suspect - when the stakes are high - they are very competent. If they were hapless idiots, they wouldn't have survived 20 years in power. Moscow mayor, in particular, has been excellent throughout this whole ordeal.

edit:
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/21/europe/putin-coronavirus-russia-intl/index.html

I think Putin and his government have the power and influence to achieve similar levels of cooperation from the public and certainly the mayors and local governance as China did eventually - but I'd argue that the vast majority of their "competence" has been focused directly on the retention, concentration and maintenance of power for those twenty years - at the cost of a normal economy and geopolitical reputation. Both things that might help in an international crisis.

but this is also an excellent time to remember that we're all in the same boat and almost every nation so far very much appears to live in a glass house, so I'll reserve further stones. Hope folks in Russia including some of my peeps stuck in St. Pete's right now get through this intact and as safe as possible.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
"Non working week". Fucking seriously. This is what's fucked up about dictatorships. Much like Trump is pivoting towards, it's like they feel the need to make a lie, but everyone knows it's a lie, and they don't even try very hard with the lie. But.....Why lie?

Out 1

Oct 25, 2017
I think Putin and his government have the power and influence to achieve similar levels of cooperation from the public and certainly the mayors and local governance as China did eventually - but I'd argue that the vast majority of their "competence" has been focused directly on the retention, concentration and maintenance of power for those twenty years - at the cost of a normal economy and geopolitical reputation. Both things that might help in an international crisis.

but this is also an excellent time to remember that we're all in the same boat and almost every nation so far very much appears to live in a glass house, so I'll reserve further stones. Hope folks in Russia including some of my peeps stuck in St. Pete's right now get through this intact and as safe as possible.

No doubt. Everyone would be better off if Putin didn't seek third (and fourth...) term.

Still, I think it's fair to point out that it's not all doom and gloom.

Speaking of local governance, it's Moscow mayor who's at the forefront of covid-19 response. Putin and the federal government are mostly following him/adopting Moscow policy.

"Non working week". Fucking seriously. This is what's fucked up about dictatorships. Much like Trump is pivoting towards, it's like they feel the need to make a lie, but everyone knows it's a lie, and they don't even try very hard with the lie. But.....Why lie?

It sounds silly and half-assed, but I don't think it's a lie. They are trying out moderate policy before committing to something harsher. Numbers are still relatively low.

Last edited:

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If Putin is willing to admit this much, the situation over there must be absolutely fucked, or close to it.

But he better back off; USA #1 woo!

...woo...

:(

Out 1

Oct 25, 2017
No testing means no cases. That's what Trump wanted to do... Think about it.

False. Testing is widespread. They are testing everyone who's returning from abroad - with a follow-up test after 10 days. Plus obvious cases (pneumonia, cold, etc.).

Anyone who wants can get tested in private labs, regardless of symptoms or travel history.

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow
I feel so bad for the residents in Moscow. If the sentiment in Moscow/Russia is the same sentiment that my Russian coworkers had up until Monday. Then the virus is gonna hit like a freight train.
Virus already hit us.
Truth is, Putin or government never really denied epidemic, they warned people, I don't know what the hell this thread is about.
Most of the nation just ignored every warning and now we are paying for this.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Virus already hit us.
Truth is, Putin or government never really denied epidemic, they warned people, I don't know what the hell this thread is about.
Most of the nation just ignored every warning and now we are paying for this.
Oh I'm talking in terms of taking the virus seriously in day to day life. My Russian co workers shrugged this off like they would the flu up until Monday. They washed their hands a bit more then normal but outside of that they were still talking to be about how they were going out and about all weekend.