• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just another confirmed War Crime by Putin all caught on video. Article 1 of the Geneva Conventions specifically prohibits targeting Nuclear Power Plants. They could try semantics of we didnt directly target a reactor but shelling in the overall plant is clearly not intended

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
There was a nuclear engineer on the osint channel who came on and said there was no risk of a meltdown or any threat of radiation to the people in the area unless Russia specifically went out of their way to bomb the reactor itself. He said all the nuclear scientists were more worried about what the public hysteria over this would bring
Quoting for a new page. It sounds like the greater risk is cutting out power for millions of Ukrainians

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Please remember everyone that the situation is extremely fluid and initial news reports may be inaccurate or misleading in their wording.

What Russia is doing right now is extremely worrying and has the potential for severe consequences, but until we know more we should take a step back and not give in to fearmongering a situation we might not fully comprehend.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Is Russia still trying to destroy the nuclear plant?
No. And if they wanted to they would need a bunker buster air strike, not these fools. This is them just using excessive force to seize admin buildings around the plant. Problem is ancillary issues like cooling and spent fuel rod cooling ponds being damaged, not the actual reactors.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, calm down. The main concerns right now are that this plant can cause just severe general power issues for Ukraine and #2 complete sabotage from the inside might cause a serious problem. The bombs and shooting, not so much.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Absolutely insane and maddening that it has come to this. What is there to gain at all? What does winning even look like? Doing as much damage as possible? Where does it go from here? Very fucking sad state how much he is able to get away with, and that there are enough people still following him to even allow this. We absolutely need the people within Russia to do all they can, I hope Ukraine along with sensible Russians are able to put a stop to this. I cannot even fathom what it's like to be in that area right now.

Nov 27, 2020
Subtlety is something Russia often rejects outright.
True, but Russia isn't above just outright lying, rather than even attempting a false flag. Especially now that they've started banning all outside news sources, they can just run a news story about how they found Ukrainian WMDs, since there isn't a narrative to counter it.

Trying to create an environmental disaster doesn't seem to be what they're trying to do here.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm a soldier and my commander tells me to attack a nuclear plant.... while I'm in the general vicinity of that nuclear plant...

...I'm shooting my commander.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
This is the equivalent of sending the first Nuke, Russia has officially started nuclear warfare and other countries now need to get involved or else it could be a disaster for Europe as a whole

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
And physically "blowing up" a nuclear plant would push fallout into areas like Turkey and Russia, so besides the massive self wound, it would easily trigger a NATO response as this would be classified as an attack via fallout. They aren't going to do that.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
This is the equivalent of sending the first Nuke, Russia has officially started nuclear warfare and other countries now need to get involved or else it could be a disaster for Europe as a whole
No lol. This is not the equivalent of using a nuclear weapon, Russia has not officially started nuclear warfare, and other countries getting involved in this conflict would ensure nuclear warfare actually takes place. Please stop.

staff post - chill out

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
OK, guys, let's chill out a bit. I know the news sounds really scary, but we need to wait for actual confirmation as to what this means in terms of damage. It could be that whatever is going on isn't affecting anything critical and we're all freaking out over nothing.

I'm just asking for everyone to take a breath and wait for the journalists covering the story to do their job and report on what is actually going on, by talking to experts and people at the scene who know the details of the event.

Take a breath, go play a game, maybe watch some Netflix. There's no point in freaking out, let everyone do their jobs right now.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It's scary but I'm sure the intent is to disable the plant.

Biggest worry is honestly how inept Russia has been at enforcing their "intent."

Would hope they aren't using munitions that are actually going to risk the major components.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
OK, guys, let's chill out a bit. I know the news sounds really scary, but we need to wait for actual confirmation as to what this means in terms of damage. It could be that whatever is going on isn't affecting anything critical and we're all freaking out over nothing.

I'm just asking for everyone to take a breath and wait for the journalists covering the story to do their job and report on what is actually going on, by talking to experts and people at the scene who know the details of the event.

Take a breath, go play a game, maybe watch some Netflix. There's no point in freaking out, let everyone do their jobs right now.
Thank you.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019

thanks, this is great advice.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
Unmitigated recklessness, stupidity, and wantonly criminal. Even being in the vicinity of a nuclear power plant with live rounds is Darwin Award level madness. These reactors are designed for things like aircraft strikes...but just like Fukushima, the spent rods have to stay cool or there could be big issues, and a sustained power outage due to fire damage isn't something *any* rational human being would want to risk.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

Just hope the Ukraine troops can win the battle.

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
Russians being so desperate is not good for anyone.

Thank you.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Good news is that the battle seems to be moving further away from the camera on that live feed. Hopefully that means away from the reactors too.

amphteamints

Aug 21, 2018
Unfortunately, Milwaukee

fuckin' finally. maybe we can have some real discussion and sources of information instead of people who played way too much fallout.

that said, my question still stands- if they take over/damage/whatever the power plant is that when other countries get involved? not warmongering or fantasizing, just trying to figure out where the rest of the world stands.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
It's scary but I'm sure the intent is to disable the plant.

Biggest worry is honestly how inept Russia has been at enforcing their "intent."

Would hope they aren't using munitions that are actually going to risk the major components.
Just shows a lack of training or using the wrong units for the wrong job. For a sensitive target, you would use better trained units to clear the building with small arms only. And if you have the area under control minus the facility, you would just cordon it until those correct units arrived to clear it out.