• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if there are Ukrainian refugees yet in America? And if so, are they only concentrated in border states or could they potentially be anywhere?

I'd love to do some in-person volunteer work for these people, but I have no clue where to find this information

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain why these companies/organisations stopping Russians from participating in sports/buying games etc actually benefits Ukranians or the fight against Putin? Is it to try all sorts of economic discord/disturbances that it makes Russian citizens go and protest against Putin and his war?
How would you feel if your favourite sports team got eliminated from a competition because of your government? Yeah, that creates a lot of distress on the people of Russia, further isolates Russia from the rest of the world and stops money from reaching Russia.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know if there are Ukrainian refugees yet in America? And if so, are they only concentrated in border states or could they potentially be anywhere?

I'd love to do some in-person volunteer work for these people, but I have no clue where to find this information
They have barely reached germany so far so i'd guess it will still take some time if they come to the US at all

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Of course there's no off-ramp yet. It's early days. No war ends that soon unless a country is completely conquered. But also I don't see any signs of the supposed Russian army big advancement to happen. They're committed almost all their troops they brought for this war and there are no new troops coming yet.

Even the most pessimist evaluations now state that it might take weeks before Kyiv falls. Russia bombing the cities doesn't change the military situation that much.

Yeah this is my line of thinking and why I am not shocked at there being no off ramp at the moment. Putin will still believe Russia can achieve their objectives and so 'win' the war so he is not going to accept anything less than the demands they have already set, which Ukraine has already found unacceptable.

An off ramp will only come into play if the war reaches a stalemate and the Russian economy can no longer support the war.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
This is sadly going to be the case. I know most of us get a sense of good spirit when we see Ukrainians kicking ass, rightly so, and Russia's military is being embarrassed all things considered, but all signs keep pointing to Putin being an escalator and never backing down, so we're going to see much deadlier weapons and tactics and wider opening of the front in the coming weeks.
They've already committed >80% resources they'd been gathering all winter. It'll take months to mobilize new armies that could reinforce the on-going campaign.

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017
Mod Edit: We don't need to be posting Ben Shapiro stuff

dear God I agree with Ben Shapiro? 2022 you so crazy

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Damn Putin has always been shitty, but it feels like he just entered full-on villain mode.

And he really thinks public executions are going to stop anything? If the US has struggled with insurgencies over the past 20 years in the ME, there's no way the Russian military will, given how they currently look. All that's going to do is embolden Ukraine.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of being a good look during the election cycle I think Zelenskyy personally asked Macron to negotiate with Putin. Basically a major western leader that isn't from an anglo-saxon country and not german

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Exactly that. Contribute to Russian dissatisfaction and create dissent.

If Putin can't control those at home, he will also struggle to wage war. Especially when Putin is controlling all access to media, having global companies also express their disgust in the only manner they can, it will help cut through the propaganda.

Germany in World War 1 was fighting strongly up until the final allied push, but it's homefront had already started to collapse due to the British naval blockade's impact on civilian life. It's the main reason why the Nazis in World War 2 avoided restrictions on civilian lifestyle ("total war") until they were forced to in 1943. It doesn't matter how well the military is doing if the country itself falls apart behind the scenes.

Occupying a hostile country is already next to impossible. Good luck doing it when the Russian people are slowly revolting at the same time.

Nov 27, 2020
The actions taking place in Russia are reminding me of the last days of the Ceausescu regime in Romania, except on a much larger and dangerous level. Moves like Putin and the Russian government are aimed at quelling dissent, but will likely fuel it instead.

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017
This is sadly going to be the case. I know most of us get a sense of good spirit when we see Ukrainians kicking ass, rightly so, and Russia's military is being embarrassed all things considered, but all signs keep pointing to Putin being an escalator and never backing down, so we're going to see much deadlier weapons and tactics and wider opening of the front in the coming weeks.

Putin is probably literally the last person in Russia who would be willing to give up, as it's obvious that if they surrender and he looks weak there's a high chance he is deposed and/or murdered. Even if the odds are dwindling by the day that Russia can 'win', he'll keep fighting for that 0.01% chance of successfully taking over Ukraine and getting the West to back down. Very bad.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018

They have barely reached germany so far so i'd guess it will still take some time if they come to the US at all
I also volunteered but they have too many people at the moment willing to help.

3qOic39.png

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Damn Putin has always been shitty, but it feels like he just entered full-on villain mode.

And he really thinks public executions are going to stop anything? If the US has struggled with insurgencies over the past 20 years in the ME, there's no way the Russian military will, given how they currently look. All that's going to do is embolden Ukraine.
Seriously. "Please stop fighting back. We need to publicly execute you." is ... not a convincing offer.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

And people were saying the Ukranian airforce was defeated in day 2 or 3 of the campaign

"But sanctions don't work...."

I think it's more than sanctions, but the general isolation of Russia and the bungling of the invasion.
Sanctions were telegraphed and priced in (not this level obviously) the calculus appears to have been a quick strike/overthrow of Ukraine, establish a puppet regime, ride out the sanctions, maybe get China to openly defy it and de-escalate in a few months or a year.

They are in the worst possible case. Stuck in a long war that they may ultimately win militarily but they have made a forever enemy in Ukraine and will likely lose to the insurgency that follows. Also, I doubt they budgeted for a long war, let alone for the level of sactions so the financial strain will be enormous and more than just seizing foreign currency to prop up the ruble, it will be paying troops, supplying them, replacing equipment.

The reputational loss is already there too.

This is why the 'don't get your hopes up' posts are kind of pointless. The Russians have already lost even if they kill Zelinsky, take Kiev and the rest of the country, the question is by how much.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Putin is probably literally the last person in Russia who would be willing to give up, as it's obvious that if they surrender and he looks weak there's a high chance he is deposed and/or murdered. Even if the odds are dwindling by the day that Russia can 'win', he'll keep fighting for that 0.01% chance of successfully taking over Ukraine and getting the West to back down. Very bad.
That's what I don't get, though. I feel like if he does take Ukraine the west will only impose harsher sanctions and never back down. I don't see an end game where Putin and Russia aren't fucked here. Feels more like a when than an if.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Whats an off ramp?

Yeah this has never been about NATO. NATO has never been an active aggressor. There was a video posted a couple of days ago where it's pretty clear this is about natural gas
No, this is about Putin wanting to rebuild Russia into Tsar Russia and be remembered for it. If this was about Natural Gas, this would've never had happened and Nord Stream 2 would be operational.

Dec 30, 2020

The only public execution which would benefit the Ukranians and the Russians is his own.

Seriously, that's the play. Russian government lays ALL of this on Putin and his inner circle, claims they held them all in terror to follow his orders, seize them, withdraw from Ukraine, and publicly execute Putin and his circle for war crimes. They could quickly spin this in a way to lift sanctions faster and improve their world image quickly.

I doubt this will happen, but it's the utilitarian play to achieve the most benefit at this point in time.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Whats an off ramp?

Yeah this has never been about NATO. NATO has never been an active aggressor. There was a video posted a couple of days ago where it's pretty clear this is about natural gas
It was never REALLY about NATO, but prior to active invasion, the idea of Ukraine being a NATO buffer was at least plausible. Plausible deniability went out the window real quick once they invaded though.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
I agree with both of you. The best way to mitigate the damage of this war is for Putin to get out of Ukraine, but if and until that happens, there has to be some strategy that doesn't involve "fighting to the last Ukrainian".

This thread basically sums up my thoughts:

Why do these Twitter verifieds never propose their suggestion for an offramp?

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
he doesn't want to take over ukraine.

he wants to install a puppet government, a yes man, so that there is a buffer between him and those nato countries

ben shapiro is a fucking clown
Here Ben Shapiro is right and you're wrong. There was literally a prepared news article from russian media talking about their victory over Ukraine and successfully integrating Ukraine and Belarus back into Russia. Putin doesn't want a puppet government. His real ambition is restoration of a Russian empire which means direct kremlin control.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Why do these Twitter verifieds never propose their suggestion for an offramp?

"My boss murdered half our office and is demanding to be CEO for life or he will blow the entire office up. We MUST provide an offramp for him to at least keep his job after all of this as an offramp" is what this all sounds like to me.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
So is there a point at which the rest of the world just has to take pity on Ukraine, and give in to Russia? That seems to be the Russian calculus (or what they WANT us to think it is). Fuck this all.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
An 'off ramp' is a scenario, a path, or a deal, that you can plausibly imagine changes things. Before the invasion a possible off-ramp was that if the world 'predicted' Putin's invasion, he could decide not to invade and score some points by saying everyone else was wrong about his plans. It's hard to see what Putin would be satisfied with now though.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

dear God I agree with Ben Shapiro? 2022 you so crazy

wtf who cares what his opinion is, dont like this fascist grifter here,

"I can read a map!" -shapiro

he would have been all in for Russia if this went quick. But since the far right have no actual principles, expect every far right fuck-head to pivot to what they think the most politically expedient take becomes,

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Here Ben Shapiro is right and you're wrong. There was literally a prepared news article from russian media talking about their victory over Ukraine and successfully integrating Ukraine and Belarus back into Russia. Putin doesn't want a puppet government. His real ambition is restoration of a Russian empire which means direct kremlin control.

www.independent.co.uk

West fears Vladimir Putin wants to install puppet regime in Ukraine

There are concerns in Western capitals of large-scale civilian casualties if Russians try to take Kyiv.

right thats why theres "About 21,200 results" from Google News when you search "Russia Ukraine Install Puppet Government"

wtf who cares what his opinion is, dont like this fascist grifter here,

correct

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
"But sanctions don't work...."
Sanctions work because Russia didn't have all their ducks in a row when they were in talks with China. They are too dependent on the Western world to not feel it. Like I said earlier, these sanctions will cripple Russia for years and it's sad that citizens that didn't want this war will suffer. But the Ukrainians are suffering a lot more.