• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Not gonna lie, reading this thread makes me feel like I'm the only clueless person in here. Everyone seems so much more knowledgeable about war, history, etc. than I am.

That being said, I really appreciate all the explanations I've read so far.
Can't speak for others, and I definitely don't opine to think I'm super knowledgeable (because I've had questions in this very thread too), but personally speaking I've always been very interested in world history, geopolitics around the world, different cultures, past conflicts, military history and tech so I feel more comfortable talking about these things I guess.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No they don't, 200,000 soldiers in a country of 40 million is a ratio of 3 soldiers per 1000 people. Completely impossible to hold a country like that. As NATO officials have pointed out numerous times

Obviously not with 200k. Russia has the capability to deploy close to 700k right now. You would need a multiplier of like 30 for a full country occupation, but I don't think they would go that route, Bifurcate Kyiv and points east, force Zelensky to resign.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously not with 200k. Russia has the capability to deploy close to 700k right now. You would need a multiplier of like 30 for a full country occupation, but I don't think they would go that route, Bifurcate Kyiv and points east, force Zelensky to resign.
who takes his places as a rusain puppet? its a literal death sentence

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
The collateral damage from the war continues. People in the UK are going to have to make do without comparethemeerkat adverts

www.theguardian.com

Comparethemarket pulls meerkat ads from TV news after Ukraine invasion

Site says fictional Russian billionaire Aleksandr Orlov has ‘no association with the current situation’

For those not in the UK these are adverts for a price comparison website that has an annoying meerkat talking like a Russian (you know typical stereotyping). IT has been pulled from the airwaves after nearly a bloody decade of "simples" and all it took was a war in Europe to do it.

I guess no more Sergei on my TV from now on. It's like we have been transported back to the 1960s.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Taking kiev is not winning.
It's like the win condition of the Russians hasn't been updated since their initial objectives (force a surrender after seizing limited gains from the south, east, and northwest) failed. Obviously their objective was Kyiv.

As everyone else following this has posited, I'm not really sure what the plan is, let alone what the original strategy was. They can't hold Ukraine.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Great you have the Ukraine. Now enjoy your economy that will never recover.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a poll concerning how Russian citizens feel about what's going on? I was under the impression that Putin - prior to the invasion - had lost support, and many just aren't buying what he's selling.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
They don't have the capability to deploy 700k. And even if they did, most of them would be untrained conscripts that would get eaten alive by insurgents.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, we're looking at Stalingrad but with better motivated, supplied, equipped, trained defenders. That's why the U.S. senator posted earlier was talking in a timeframe of weeks.
I think the weeks is based off what would normally happen but I have a feeling Putin isn't that patient. Plus that whole flank is exposed to Western attacks with little ability to interdict with their current posture for a slow encirclement.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

Next several weeks.... 😬

In Kharkiv there was a terrible rocket barrage directly into the city using cluster munitions which killed and maimed several civilians.

Kyiv seems to have been quieter than previous nights, some nearby missile strikes earlier. An enormous Russian column is growing and slowly moving closer to the capital.
Do we actually have confirmation that it was cluster munitions? I know people have said it, but I haven't really heard high level confirmation of something that would be pretty big news. Are we sure it wasn't just ("just") MLRS rockets. Still a war crime, being aimed at residential centers. But. Just checking.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Deploying 700k to hold Ukraine also isn't viable. The things they are gonna have to do to even take Kyiv or Zelensky is also a nightmare for them. If they kill him he's a martyr and your assuming they can even make him resign if they capture him

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Curious how Lviv plays into this if Kyiv is taken. Should be the secondary capitol and have secondary command, and could also present a counterattack with the right equipment, although defending always has the advantage so probably not feasible. Just a mess.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Define win.

Also Kyiv is probably the most heavily defended city we've seen in modern times when it comes to an attack. The battle would be unprecedented if it were to occur as a straight attack.

Not only that, if the Russians don't want to totally flatten the city they will have to take it block by block, building by building. It's a city of close to 3 million people, even if you say there are 1 million "fighters" left (only men and some of the women stay to fight in this example) That would be such a nightmare to take over for the Russians. The biggest risk is then surrounding the whole city and just waiting the Ukrainians out but it hopefully doesn't come to that. If they try to take the city militarily without destroying it they will likely fail as long as Ukrainian supply lines can stay somewhat open

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017

Next several weeks.... 😬

Do we actually have confirmation that it was cluster munitions? I know people have said it, but I haven't really heard high level confirmation of something that would be pretty big news. Are we sure it wasn't just ("just") MLRS rockets. Still a war crime, being aimed at residential centers. But. Just checking.
multiple pictures of SMERCH cluster pods around the city

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Define win.

Also Kyiv is probably the most heavily defended city we've seen in modern times when it comes to an attack. The battle would be unprecedented if it were to occur as a straight attack.

Given all the repeated reports of russia not having enough troops to occupy the country, then I could see Putin encircling or taking Kyiv, and taking the South to create the land bridge to Crimea, installing a puppet government if Kyiv is able to be taken (it wouldn't likely last without brutalizing the people, and wouldn't be recognized by anyone, but Putin wouldn't care). Russia then 'withdraws' (but not really) to the breakaway regions, holds onto the land bridge to Crimea, and leaves the puppet stump of Ukraine to rot or brutalize people with russian support.

I'm not sure if it would even be possible to install a puppet government when Ukraine's people obviously wouldn't recognize it at all, but I could see Putin trying to save face by walking away with control of the land bridge to crimea and the 'independent' regions. Not everything he hoped for, but a tier of definite objectives achieved at least that he could try and claim mission accomplished over.

What Russia is to do in the face of seemingly much stronger sanctions than they had anticipated is another question, but guess they will try to go ahead with ignoring them as much as possible until otherwise forced to do something else by internal forces.

Putin needs to be overthrown to end it.

Oct 30, 2017
Deploying 700k to hold Ukraine also isn't viable. The things they are gonna have to do to even take Kyiv or Zelensky is also a nightmare for them. If they kill him he's a martyr and your assuming they can even make him resign if they capture him

Really, their only way out of this mess is to go all in on killing Zelensky, then withdraw to the east and say "job done, we removed the evil leader and secured the eastern territories"

But that's not going to happen as Putin has now been given a slap in the face, and will lose his shit in an attempt to destroy the entire country

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
could i just get a compilation of all the russian state-affiliated media people complaining about being labeled russian state-affiliated media
I would love it too. So far though most tagged aren't even acknowleding it, they just keep carrying on as if nothing happened. Many that state in their profile they work for RT haven't even been tagged yet, but they are afraid it is coming so they are telling people to follow them in other places. I won't shit up the thread but if you want to dig into that hole on twitter it won't take you too long to see the name "Tara Reade" come up.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You know, the really long table is to make it more likely that if his generals would miss if they suddenly pulled out a gun to shoot him.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Is there a poll concerning how Russian citizens feel about what's going on? I was under the impression that Putin - prior to the invasion - had lost support, and many just aren't buying what he's selling.
I'm not sure it will be accurate or given to real people. Russia is a dictatorship so data manipulation and concealment is the name of the game.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
CSaRinE.gif

How far relations have dropped back down.
While the gif is entertaining, Putin's rise came because of Yeltsin iirc. Like Yeltsin handpicked him.

Wow, that's embarrassing for russia. Without Russia's nuclear warheads there military would be seen as a straight joke to the world. Ukraine is giving them hell every day, I hope they can hold on.
There's a huge column of troops slowly heading towards Kiev. It looks a lot more deliberate this time and Kiev likely is going to suffer :(.

Even with conventional warfare, I feel like folks forget that Chechnya was a state with slightly over 1M people. Kyiv alone has 3M+ with Ukraine at 40M.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017

Next several weeks.... 😬

Yes there are videos showing the remains of what is clearly a 9M55k cargo rocket which carries submunitions embedded into an apartment.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Really, their only way out of this mess is to go all in on killing Zelensky, then withdraw to the east and say "job done, we removed the evil leader and secured the eastern territories"

But that's not going to happen as Putin has now been given a slap in the face, and will lose his shit in an attempt to destroy the entire country
Killing him is honestly a terrible idea, he's become both a national and global hero in less then a week. Ukraine's people are already fighting viciously, killing there now beloved leader would radicalize them even more against Russia.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Then the next head will want to make an example for treason?

It doesn't have to be one particular person who 'retires' him. And who is to say he doesn't have an accident, a health incident, or something along those lines? At a certain money threshold Putin ceases to be worth the trouble. Russia has never been pushed anywhere near there before but now they will be. If guys start getting assets seized then it makes sense for Mogilevich et al to throw in with someone else and make the sacrifice.

Oct 30, 2017
Killing him is honestly a terrible idea, he's become both a national and global hero in less then a week. Ukraine's people are already fighting viciously, killing there now beloved leader would radicalize them even more against Russia.

Toppling him won't be enough to declare victory; they need to destroy his reputation - like, "we tried to arrest him but he hid in an orphanage like a scared dog and killed dozens of children to prevent being taken alive"

Just for internal consumption, clearly.

Oct 27, 2017
So with all this talk of this big armored column bearing down on Kyiv.... isn't that kind of a bad idea, tactically? I mean, is it literally just a big convoy of armored vehicles going down one single road? Or is it spread out a bit? Just seems like an awfully big target bunching up that way. Would hope that the Ukrainians have IEDs and booby traps all along that route if it is just one primary road.

That's another thing I haven't heard much talk about- the weather. I mean, its late February/ early March, which would almost seem like some of the worst time to be moving heavy armor around, especially if the roads get fucked up from combat/ disabled vehicles. Are the tanks/APCs/ vehicles all going to go off road? This kind of late winter/early spring weather would seem bad for that since the ground probably isn't frozen hard and its probably just a muddy mess. Which again would seem like a golden opportunity for the Ukrainians to pick off this convoy if they do end up getting slowed down by the terrain at all.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
So with all this talk of this big armored column bearing down on Kyiv.... isn't that kind of a bad idea, tactically? I mean, is it literally just a big convoy of armored vehicles going down one single road? Or is it spread out a bit? Just seems like an awfully big target bunching up that way. Would hope that the Ukrainians have IEDs and booby traps all along that route if it is just one primary road.

That's another thing I haven't heard much talk about- the weather. I mean, its late February/ early March, which would almost seem like some of the worst time to be moving heavy armor around, especially if the roads get fucked up from combat/ disabled vehicles. Are the tanks/APCs/ vehicles all going to go off road? This kind of late winter/early spring weather would seem bad for that since the ground probably isn't frozen hard and its probably just a muddy mess. Which again would seem like a golden opportunity for the Ukrainians to pick off this convoy if they do end up getting slowed down by the terrain at all.
Yeah if I were them I'd be up ahead on that road taking out bridges, felling trees over it, IEDs… whatever they can do.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
It doesn't have to be one particular person who 'retires' him. And who is to say he doesn't have an accident, a health incident, or something along those lines? At a certain money threshold Putin ceases to be worth the trouble. Russia has never been pushed anywhere near there before but now they will be. If guys start getting assets seized then it makes sense for Mogilevich et al to throw in with someone else and make the sacrifice.
Wouldn't be surprised if some oligarchs are trying to court Gerasimov. I agree with the general conclusion: once there's a critical mass of moneyed interests affected, they just need a gun to pull the trigger. Who the gun will eventually be, I'm not sure. But surely they're thinking it — and surely Putin knows this. The publicly released intelligence says as much (and will only serve to heighten his paranoia).

Unrivaled

Banned
Oct 13, 2020
Talked to someone at work who has family from Ukraine and from Russia (wifes side) and recently moved to Canada.

His dad is 59 and being forced into war to defend Ukraine. His mom and sister fled and had to leave their dad.

They are basically being forced to fight their family and everyone of his family is devastated over what is happening.

His dads quote was "I did not sign up for this to kill young soldiers being forced into war by a dictator. The poor soldiers are basically my grandsons age. I'll die before killing an innocent kid being forced into war".

Like wtf world are we living in...

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey

There's probably a reason this convoy keeps getting longer while not moving much. It must be a logistical nightmare.

And warmer than expected weather has started early thaw in Ukraine. General Mud is probably a big factor in why these convoys are bunched up on roads like this.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
About the convoy, couldn't they just destroy a huge part of the road ahead to prevent it from moving forward?

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These psychological analyses of leaders filtered through the media always feels a bit salacious and a bit like a game of telephone. We've been hearing about his mental state of years, so I just sort of treat it like high school gossip.

Fair enough, but I don't think its useful to put people in a box and disregard what they say. There's a lot of truth to the historical greivance angle and Putin's attempt to remake the world order.
my thing was exclusively about the nukes

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
About the convoy, couldn't they just destroy a huge part of the road ahead to prevent it from moving forward?

Yes. But the further it moves inland, the further it is from friendly AA/radar installations. The deeper it goes, the more supplies have been consumed, the more distance must be traveled to get out.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
More and more horrifying videos are emerging. Kids are dying because Putin was bored.

Yes. But the further it moves inland, the further it is from friendly AA/radar installations. The deeper it goes, the more supplies have been consumed, the more distance must be traveled to get out.

I heard how they have no air support and are just asking for trouble. Is that actually true? I thought Russia dominated the air space rather quickly in the first 2 days?

A bioweapon that only kills Russians, you really can't make this shit up lmao
You laugh, but there are rumors that Chinas military is trying to do that: develop bio weapons based on ethnicity or other key factors. One of the reasons why they import so much DNA data from those "find out your heritage" scams, while they heavily restrict the export of Chinese data. They are heavily investing in that area.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
What would be the best way to take out that convoy??

Choose the narrowest, most treacherous part of their path and give the them the Teutoburg treatment.

I heard how they have no air support and are just asking for trouble. Is that actually true? I thought Russia dominated the air space rather quickly in the first 2 days?

Russia can only provide local air superiority in certain windows. They've been struck behind their own lines by drones. Ukraine just got a healthy chunk of new planes. That convoy isn't invulnerable.

Nov 27, 2020
I don't believe for a second that they have 700k more troops that they could effectively bring to this fight. They might have reserves, people with some military training that they could hand a rifle, but they'd be little better than the conscripts they've sent so far. On top of that, supplying and feeding the forces they already have had been a nightmare for them…now triple that.
Curious how Lviv plays into this if Kyiv is taken. Should be the secondary capitol and have secondary command, and could also present a counterattack with the right equipment, although defending always has the advantage so probably not feasible. Just a mess.
I fully believe that once Zelensky made the decision to stay in Kyiv, the actual governmental administration and military command and control moved to Lviv, maybe even prior to the invasion. Taking Kyiv would be an important symbolic victory for the Russians, but wouldn't spell the end of Ukraine or the end of this war if the Russians are intent on taking the entire country.

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
More and more horrifying videos are emerging. Kids are dying because Putin was bored.

You laugh, but there are rumors that Chinas military is trying to do that: develop bio weapons based on ethnicity or other key factors. One of the reasons why they import so much DNA data from those "find out your heritage" scams, while they heavily restrict the export of Chinese data. They are heavily investing in that area.
Find out your heritage companies are a scam?!