• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Out 1

Oct 25, 2017
I'm desperately trying to find a silver lining in this shishow. Obviosly there is none to be found - Ukraine is still a victim of unprovoked aggression, people are dying, cities are being bombed. But one thing I hope happens is that Germany becomes one of the world powers. It's time to end an old NATO doctrine of "keep the Americans in, the Russians out, and the Germans down".

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
What are we expecting from the UK tomorrow? In a parliamentary session the other day Boris said he would be bringing in laws to parliament on Monday which need to go through parliament, and Kier Starmer said he would have full opposition support.

Most likely an increase in defense spending and authorisation of weapon shipments to Ukraime.

Just want to bump the OSINT twitter space chat that's been ongoing the last few days. They good work and talk about developments in a level-headed way that's good for those of us who can't help but obsessively follow this and helps keep the anxiety in check.

Thanks for that, very interesting conversation.

Right now they are discussing sources reporting Russian landing craft heading for Odessa/south of Odessa. Up to 10,000 soldiers based on nu,ber of craft. Nowhere near enough to take Odessa. Might be a ploy. Might be a duversion to draw away troops from other locations.

This thread isn't the place for nuclear war speculation

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This thread isn't the place to speculate about nuclear war and the horrors tied to it. We understand that the situation is very stressful, but we have to keep this thread organized and focused.

Please consider these steps of self-care and coping during stressful news cycles such as this one: https://www.npr.org/2022/02/25/1083077194/news-anxiety-tips-self-care

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
People should know that Kadyrov lives in his own world and is also a Putin puppet.

Even more a puppet then Lukaschenko.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm desperately trying to find a silver lining in this shishow. Obviosly there is none to be found - Ukraine is still a victim of unprovoked aggression, people are dying, cities are bombed. But one thing I hope happens is that Germany becomes one of the world powers. It's time to end an old NATO doctrine of "keep the Americans in, the Russians out, and the Germans down".

There is no silver lining unless someone puts Putin out of office.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The one big take away I got from this is the world would actually unite if aliens attacked.
Honestly I wasn't sure until now... Yes I do believe we would unite in that case. I mean if u told me the world's reaction just a week ago that Russia would become a pariah and even Viktor Orbun would criticize Putin, man I'd laugh u out of the house.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Since it's been mentioned many times times in this thread is this "window" thing a meme or does Russian higher ups actually have a long history of throwing opposition out of windows?

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I'm desperately trying to find a silver lining in this shishow. Obviosly there is none to be found - Ukraine is still a victim of unprovoked aggression, people are dying, cities are bombed. But one thing I hope happens is that Germany becomes one of the world powers. It's time to end an old NATO doctrine of "keep the Americans in, the Russians out, and the Germans down".
The long shot silver lining would be that the sanctions/failures turn Russia against Putin. He's ousted. And Russia becomes a true democratic country and on friendly terms with the west.

Nov 27, 2020
Based on that article about Putin solving 'the Ukraine question', the Russians think their win is to take over the country and wait for the West to back down on sanctions so they can get that sweet oil and gas.
That really doesn't seem possible. They haven't taken a single city yet, and even if they do, they don't have the manpower or money to fight a protracted insurgency being funded and armed by the west, while also dealing with the sanctions. Putin's goal is a fantasy.

Oct 27, 2017
Since it's been mentioned many times times in this thread is this "window" thing a meme or does Russian higher ups actually have a long history of throwing opposition out of windows?

Journalists and other regime critics have had a tendency to 'accidentally' fall out of windows or from balconies.

www.npr.org

Why Do Russian Journalists Keep Falling?

NPR's Scott Simon reflects on a string of recent — and suspicious — deaths of Russian journalists and dissidents.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Since Bielorrússia is sending its army to Ukraine, does it make sense if NATO sends troops to Bielorrússia as a counter measure?

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Many of the people they've had murdered are explained by them either "accidentally" falling out windows or "committing suicide".

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I get that but the border is very, very long. They primarily crossed north of Kyev. The Belarus forces might be crossing from Brest in the west closer to the Poland border. Maybe to disrupt the supplies coming in.

Western advisors know there is no victory without securing supply lines and keeping the western part of the country open. It's not like that area is wide open and free for the taking. Belarus doesn't have much manpower to begin with.

Bank people, what does this mean?

Russian assets just became illiquid, making them functionally worthless. Even more so than before.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
There have been quiet a few suicides in Russia of people jumping out windows to their death. It happened enough that people started to speculate they didn't jump out the window, they were thrown out, especially when these people had been critical of Putin leading up to their suicide.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Since Bielorrússia is sending its army to Ukraine, does it make sense if NATO sends troops to Bielorrússia as a counter measure?

NATO is already strengthening their borders around the entire region are they not?

Not in a threatening sense of waiting at the border with armour. Just upping staffing levels at already established posts.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Western advisors know there is no victory without securing supply lines and keeping the western part of the country open. It's not like that area is wide open and free for the taking. Belarus doesn't have much manpower to begin with.

Russian assets just became illiquid, making them functionally worthless. Even more so than before.

Appreciate it thanks!

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

But, but, Russian Central Bank just put out a statement that everything is perfectly fine.

So odd!

Veezy

Oct 27, 2017
I will always admit ignorance on anything I state that's "armchair general" bullshit, but NATO isn't designed to be an aggression alliance. NATO is a defensive pact. So, you can't just have a NATO organized army invade. Additionally, I believe that European or US troops on the ground in those areas that are actually in an aggressive stance would give Putin fuel for his "the West is trying to destroy us" propaganda.

Could something happen? None of us know what intelligence all countries involved have. However, I don't see any NATO country or associated allies have motivation to put their armies on the board.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm desperately trying to find a silver lining in this shishow. Obviosly there is none to be found - Ukraine is still a victim of unprovoked aggression, people are dying, cities are being bombed. But one thing I hope happens is that Germany becomes one of the world powers. It's time to end an old NATO doctrine of "keep the Americans in, the Russians out, and the Germans down".
EU is becoming more united, Germany is taking its defence commitment seriously, Russian military is revealed to be a sham.
And if things continue like this, - and these are a bit optimistic I admit - Putin might be removed from power (or suffer an accident), Ukraine could regain their stolen land, and Ukraine could join the EU and/or NATO.

Veezy

Oct 27, 2017
EU is becoming more united, Germany is taking its defence commitment seriously, Russian military is revealed to be a sham.
And if things continue like this, - and these are a bit optimistic I admit - Putin might be removed from power (or suffer an accident), Ukraine could regain their stolen land, and Ukraine could join the EU and/or NATO.
I'll give you one more. "Hey, this stuff we need to keep our homes heated is coming from some pretty fucked up places. I know we shouldn't use it, 'cause of that climate change shit, but what if we were to move towards something different?"

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
When has this ever been NATO doctrine? I'm sure American Generals are thrilled that Germany has decided to start pulling its weight for once.