• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fellsine

Apr 17, 2018
What do these peace talks even look like? Russia has failed miserably. At some point, they should be the ones having to make concessions.

25th Baam

Jan 9, 2018
I don't think Crimea is ever going to return to Ukraine, even if the actual annexation of it was basically criminal. It does have a Russian majority over all.

The Donbas region is much more up in the air. But I kinda doubt that Putin will ever admit to rolling back Russia's recognition of the independent Republics. We might get in a situation where Ukraine uses it momentum and militarization to try and take over the province again after the invasion hopefully fails.
Honestly I think even with a Russian majority, Crimea should be given back to Ukraine. There is legit ways to look for independence that don't involve war, and we are not in the 1900s anymore. Plus Crimea can't really function without the landbridge territories from Ukraine, and would have no water supply as well... It's just a meaningless piece of land, not militarily speaking, in the hands of Russia as it is.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Not checking sources in violation of staff post.
NVM

Last edited:

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
If everything works out for Ukraine in the end Zelensky is about to come out as the most popular president in the world. He's doing an admirable job and the world is rooting for him and his country.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Honestly I think even with a Russian majority, Crimea should be given back to Ukraine. There is legit ways to look for independence that don't involve war, and we are not in the 1900s anymore. Plus Crimea can't really function without the landbridge territories from Ukraine, and would have no water supply as well... It's just a meaningless piece of land, not militarily speaking, in the hands of Russia as it is.
A meaningless piece of land is what the entirety of Russia is going to be starting tomorrow when the market open back up.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
How money do they think an ATM holds?

It really doesn't matter how much the ATM holds more about how much the particular bank will let you take out in an ATM transaction. I don't think any bank will allow you to empty out your account in that kind of transaction.

Granted I'm in the US the bank I work for we have a daily limit of 500.00 a day withdrawal from an ATM. You want any more than that then you come to the branch to get it.

I used to bank with Wells Fargo those ATMs would only allow me to get maybe 300 out. I think their system was set up on how much your average monthly deposits were. Card wise I had a 600 limit on debit credit transactions compared to my new bank it's 3500 for everyone.

25th Baam

Jan 9, 2018
The NATO countries are still deploying largely Cold War era nuclear weapons, and they do get tested. Out of all the countries in the world, Russia and China have been most aggressively modernizing their nuclear forces. For China, it's simply playing catch up, while Russian missiles and subs were falling apart, and they needed to build newer stuff. They still have large stockpiles of Cold War era munitions, but they have newer (last 20 years or so) stuff as well.
I think most of it is also linked with their space programs, right? That would make more sense as to why they were accepted by the public even after the cold war.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018

I have to say seeing these rapists and torturers falter against an actually well prepared army, after terrorizing their local populace for years, is certainly satisfying.

I'm getting the impression a lot of those "special forces" are just special in comparison to the severely underequipped and badly organized quasi-civilian targets they are usually deployed against to kill any resistance to a local warlord...

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
What do these peace talks even look like? Russia has failed miserably. At some point, they should be the ones having to make concessions.

FMkT1qBXsAInUPR

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

There are other ways to try to gain independence but it's incredibly unlikely.

People like to talk about sovereignty when it comes to majority white countries but if American colonies like Puerto Rico or Guam wanted to be independent, this would never be allowed to happen. This goes double for states like Hawaii that have Native Sovereignty movements.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Why embarrass yourself on the world stage and make yourself look weak. Whilst also turning the country you're attacking into heroes and a show of strength and resilience. Oops!

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I just saw on the DW news live stream that the Ukrainian government stated that the talks at the Belarusian border are underway. I hope Russia is serious about talks and an official cease fire is the next step, even though I know the chances are higher that this is simply a stall tactic (just like all the talks leading up to the invasion) to give Putin a chance to resupply and reorganize his forces.

I mean Putin doesn't need this pause to do that, Ukraine is clearly playing defense and is not going to actively go after the Russian troops if they're not advancing past ground they already hold. Putin could sit there for a few days and resupply everything without the need for a peace talks distraction. They're talking because Russia is about to implode financially if something doesn't change and they clearly can't win this militarily without losing many more men/resources

pollo

Oct 25, 2017
there is going to be a massive humanitarian crisis in Russia if we keep their assets frozen. I'm hoping someone has a plan to handle that. China? Some non NATO super power I don't know about?

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
So I hope alot of these reports of the ukraine regarding russian losses and demoralized troops are true but I think there is a good number of false reports for moralization of their own (ukrainian) troops.

so I dont see that its wrong but I think we should keep in mind that all those numbers arent accurate.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say seeing these rapists and torturers falter against an actually well prepared army, after terrorizing their local populace for years, is certainly satisfying.

I'm getting the impression a lot of those "special forces" are just special in comparison to the severely underequipped and badly organized quasi-civilian targets they are usually deployed against to kill any resistance to a local warlord...
In hindsight this isn't that surprising I guess. Its easy to look big and scary when you're torturing and murdering innocent civilians day in day out. Not that surprising they've shit themselves and run away at the first sign of someone with some actual fight.

25th Baam

Jan 9, 2018
There are other ways to try to gain independence but it's incredibly unlikely.

People like to talk about sovereignty when it comes to majority white countries but if American colonies like Puerto Rico or Guam wanted to be independent, this would never be allowed to happen. This goes double for states like Hawaii that have Native Sovereignty movements.
Well sure, even for historical situations like Scotland, it is really fucking hard. But not impossible if the majority from the population really wants it, and pushes it for long enough. And well I'm talking about democracies* here, and even that comes with a big *.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
So I hope alot of these reports of the ukraine regarding russian losses and demoralized troops are true but I think there is a good number of false reports for moralization of their own (ukrainian) troops.

so I dont see that its wrong but I think we should keep in mind that all those numbers arent accurate.

Obviously. We're mostly getting the positive news from Ukraine, as Russia seems to be dead silent at the moment (which makes sense, with their stated goals). But overall it's fair to say this isn't going as planned for the Russians.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
there is going to be a massive humanitarian crisis in Russia if we keep their assets frozen. I'm hoping someone has a plan to handle that. China? Some non NATO super power I don't know about?

best bet would probably be latvia/estonia/finland

they're all close-ish to the big population centers

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Obviously. We're mostly getting the positive news from Ukraine, as Russia seems to be dead silent at the moment (which makes sense, with their stated goals). But overall it's fair to say this isn't going as planned for the Russians.
Individual stories may or may not be true.

What is true is Russia still can't hold any city.

So the general reports are obviously true.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I'm taking Ukrainian reports of casualties with a pinch of salt. But their losses do seem to be large as there seems to be a fair amount of corroboration with respect to Russian morale. Combined with the fact that not a single city has fallen yet.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
So I've been ducking in and out of this thread and skimming the news over the past couple of days, but how is Ukraine doing? What's the most likely outcome here?