• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Russia isn't using its full capacity. I'd be cautious about the any data from early war reports. While we want things to be positive for Ukraine, don't let it blind you. Putin wants Zelensky dead and unfortunately, he has the power to make that happen.
Disagree right now or they would've leveled the Government sector with cruise missiles. They want him captured and forced to do something on their terms; however, I think that plan is out the window, even if they do capture him. And killing him now would only make it worse as the Ukranian military has shown to be effective in numerous fronts, most likely with limited centralized command and control.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
My 19 year old cousin posted the same kind of bullshit on Facebook about how the US and Biden are responsible for this and that our government not doing anything to help proves how shitty the democrats are.

Putin probably would have done this right after the 2020 Olympics if not for COVID. He would have had a much easier time pulling it off with his lackey Trump in the White House instead of a president who would work with the international community to stand against him.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine that all of this was planned to go down in 2019-2020 with trump still in the white house, but then covid put everything on hold for a couple of year. Because I really don't understand why invading now rather than when cheeto benito was in office.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
So is it fair to say that this invasion didn't go at all the way Russia wanted it to?
100%

Putin sent in apparently new recruits that were promised not to fight in the frontlines, because apparently he thought this would be a cake walk and Ukraine would just let it happen. He no doubt thought by now he would be toasting wine with his newly installed puppet dictator.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just thinking back to Trump's presidency when he was mulling over withdrawing from NATO, and I can't help but think that was Putin pulling his strings.

Sponged

Oct 29, 2017
Can we please get some kinda highlight or something in the rules about not saying "the Ukraine" I'm seeing it every page now and no matter how many times it gets explained people are still saying it.

It's Ukraine not the Ukraine

I have no idea what I'm trying to say when it comes to forums and I feel technically inept but I'm sure you get what I mean.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
Screenshot_20220226-084117_Chrome.jpg

As the world watches the emergence of one of the most inspiring leaders in history

NYT calls it trying

Embarrassing

NYT has been a joke since, as far back as I can remember. This year (rolling 12 months alone) they have seemingly struggled to that they only back hardcore capitalistic think.

At least Zelensky is standing proud for his people, I don't think there are many world leaders that I would feel confident would do the same!

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Putin probably would have done this right after the 2020 Olympics if not for COVID. He would have had a much easier time pulling it off with his lackey Trump in the White House instead of a president who would work with the international community to stand against him.
Regardless, people should expect more of this, because "this is Biden's fault" is what the Right is pushing to hurt Biden over this. It's all over social media like Facebook and people like Tulsi Gabbard, Charlie Kirk, Tucker Carlson, Laura Ingraham, and Glenn Greenwald are some of the loudest voices and pushing it the hardest.

This is just your typical Right bullshit we should all be used to. It is impossible for them to say Biden did anything right.

And many of those on the Left that hate America, the military, Biden, etc, are falling for it as well.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Just saw footage of Ukrainian men at the borders going back voluntary, to take back their country. So many brave people.

I wish and hope the best for them.
Yeah I saw a report somewhere talking about how a lot of the men went with their families to evacuate and then once they knew their families were safe and secure they decided to go back.

I also have to wonder how many of these people coming back are doing so because of Zelensky and the military holding the line. They believe they can hold out or maybe even win.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Russia's military supposed to be elite, because they look like a straight joke right now? Russia seems very unprepared for this war, and not getting air superiority is crushing them. If your going to make yourself an enemy of the world by invading foreign land , you damn better be prepared for it. Go Ukraine though, they are giving Russia hell.
they collapsed post soviet and putin has been trying to get them back up but I had been hearing their chain of command still lacks discipline of nato and putins been interested more in nukes than infantry since they've mostly been fighting very very much weaker enemies (Chechnya, Georgia, pre-2014 ukraine, syria)

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017

• 14 aircraft (13 attackers (SU-25 and other CAS) and 1 IL-76)
  • 8 helicopters
  • 102 tanks
  • 536 armored cars and APCs
  • 15 artillery pieces
  • 1 Buk air defense system
  • 3500 soldiers (dead, captured, wounded)
edit: TASS:

The Russian News Agency TASS, abbreviated TASS, is a major Russian state-owned news agency founded in 1904. TASS is the largest Russian news agency and one of the largest news agencies worldwide. TASS is registered as a Federal State Unitary Enterprise, owned by the Government of Russia.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017

There was way too much crap going on with Zelensky and Trump at the time. In fact the whole Ukraine-Trump thing was probably part of the Russian master plan and Putin was seeing how it would play out.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Russia isn't using its full capacity. I'd be cautious about the any data from early war reports. While we want things to be positive for Ukraine, don't let it blind you. Putin wants Zelensky dead and unfortunately, he has the power to make that happen.
The problem for Russia is, that using their full capacity, like for example levelling Kyiv, would have huge political costs, and might even threaten their partnership with China. It's one thing to tacitly approve a simple and relatively bloodless coup and takevoer. It's another to be on board with leading to a massacre of thousands of people, all very well captured on social media world wide.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
India was going to be non-committal and neutral about the war regardless of who was in power. I can't see a non-BJP government condemning Russia either.

The USSR/Russia has long been considered India's 'all-weather friend', particularly since the USSR's support of India during the 1971 war. It is also India's chief armaments supplier. I think even today, if you asked the average Indian who our number one ally is, they'll answer Russia out of the Cold War legacy. Russia is about the last ally India would want to piss off.

On top of that, post-Nehru India has also long had a de facto policy of 'non-interference' and neutrality, at least when the topic doesn't concern Indians or Indian-origin people.

It's shit, but I don't see India ever taking a stance that antagonises its number one ally Russia.
I believe Russia still supplies 60-70% of India's defence equipment and armaments, so yeah there's no way India would directly condemn Russia under any other party either. India's actually in a bit of bind over this, as they've been wanting to move closer to the US to deter China, hence the Quad alliance. India becoming increasingly distant to the West isn't accurate and might be the opposite, if only due to US wanting an ally in the region again because of China. So the fact that India doesn't come out and support the West over this does damage their still nascent defence relationship.

Oct 27, 2017
Disagree right now or they would've leveled the Government sector with cruise missiles. They want him captured and forced to do something on their terms; however, I think that plan is out the window, even if they do capture him. And killing him now would only make it worse as the Ukranian military has shown to be effective in numerous fronts, most likely with limited centralized command and control.
Yeah, I think a dead Zelensky would have a disastrous effect on any long term Russian plans to restore their standing in the world or maintain control over a defeated Ukraine. Martyrs create insurgents.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So is it fair to say that this invasion didn't go at all the way Russia wanted it to?
Oh absolutely. Putin assumed they Ukranian military would fold or that Zelensky would surrender. He never dreamed that Ukraine would be able to fight back this hard. They have taken heavy losses and have supply issues. They hold no major cities either so they have nothing to show for those losses.

What Ukraine has done here is astonishing. No one expected this.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

• 8 helicopters
  • 102 tanks
  • 15 artillery pieces

Those numbers are almost too close to the Ukrainian reported ones so it makes me feel less sure about them. May be they are just re-reporting those numbers lol.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019

• 8 helicopters
  • 102 tanks
  • 15 artillery pieces

Whoa…that's really impressive for the Ukrainians. Even if Russia "wins," it will take years for the Russian military to get back into any kind of shape.

Veezy

Oct 27, 2017
The problem for Russia is, that using their full capacity, like for example levelling Kyiv, would have huge political costs, and might even threaten their partnership with China. It's one thing to tacitly approve a simple and relatively bloodless coup and takevoer. It's another to be on board with leading to a massacre of thousands of people, all very well captured on social media world wide.
Also, and somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, what good would an Eastern Ukraine puppet buffer zone or even an entire Ukrainian puppet government be if major cities are leveled? Yes, the loss of life would be disgusting, but what good is territory that's just rubble? Wouldn't leveling Kyiv be dumb from a "trophy" standpoint? Putin gives zero shits about human life, but he must care some for having something to show for all this bloodshed.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
They also need to have a peace treaty signed to end all this which becomes harder if you level the cities.

Oct 26, 2017
Also, and somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, what good would an Eastern Ukraine puppet buffer zone or even an entire Ukrainian puppet government be if major cities are leveled? Yes, the loss of life would be disgusting, but what good is territory that's just rubble? Wouldn't leveling Kyiv be dumb from a "trophy" standpoint? Putin gives zero shits about human life, but he must care some for having something to show for all this bloodshed.

It could be used as a warning to others

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Yeah, I think a dead Zelensky would have a disastrous effect on any long term Russian plans to restore their standing in the world or maintain control over a defeated Ukraine. Martyrs create insurgents.
If intelligence is to be believed, Zelensky is the number 1 target of the Chechen troops "hit list" and then his family. I don't think Russia cares.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I'm convinced Trumps attempts to intimidate and coerce Zelensky to go with the Hunter Biden bullshit would've later been used against Zelensky as justification for his 'corruption/lack of leadership' if Trump had won and would've been used to justify a lack of action from the US.

Nevermind the morale hit it would've caused in Ukraine to see their elected leader going along with blatant government corruption to help Russia.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless, people should expect more of this, because "this is Biden's fault" is what the Right is pushing to hurt Biden over this. It's all over social media like Facebook and people like Tulsi Gabbard, Charlie Kirk, Tucker Carlson, Laura Ingraham, and Glenn Greenwald are some of the loudest voices and pushing it the hardest.

This is just your typical Right bullshit we should all be used to. It is impossible for them to say Biden did anything right.

And many of those on the Left that hate America, the military, Biden, etc, are falling for it as well.
You basically listed all pro Putin people… combined with the worthless tankie left that can all go off somewhere in the woods together

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

• 8 helicopters
  • 102 tanks
  • 15 artillery pieces

Those are numbers given by Ukraine.

I'm guessing Anonymous inserted those, and as soon as they were spotted, they got deleted

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
This is very true.

Dec 30, 2020
Meanwhile, Putin is hiding, isolated in secure luxury, paid for by the money he's stolen from his own people, like a true icon of machismo leadership.
And the PREVIOUS Ukranian president. AND THE FOOTBALL TEAM.
edit: Meant to respond to the tweet itself but yeah, Putin's hiding and having people taste his food for him.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
In Crimea while the referendum was held under duress, there are a lot of signs that leaving did actually have popular support (if perhaps not as high as is claimed by the referendum results).

From what I recall following the news back in 2014, there was a lot of nostalgia among the older population living in Crimea for when it was a resort destination for Soviet elite. Crimea's economy had faded and there was hope Russia would bring an influx of new money (plus Russia had promised older residents pensions.)

I haven't seen much Western media coverage of what life is like inside Crimea post-annexation, but Vice News did a segment about two years ago showing things there are worse than they were before:

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
When does Zelenskyy sleep? That dude continues to amaze me. I don't know much of anything about his politics but he's become a real world action hero.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017

I mean, everyone knows it is BS, but it would peel back the veneer of Russia 'liberating' the Ukranian people from Nazis.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Railways can be fixed in days.

Exactly, days. Any long delay is good for Ukraine.

You just made me realize something:

This is the first real Social Media War, where every last military action and battle can and will be captured on smartphones and uploaded for the whole world to see.

I don't think Putin, or any leader, fully comprehend the ramifications this will have.

Jun 1, 2021
This might be a silly question and I apologise if it is, but what is the difference between other countries supplying weapons to Ukraine as apposed to fighting with them. I am not saying to actual send troops as I know the potential consequences, but is supplying weapons ok and does not break any clause?

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
This might be a silly question and I apologise if it is, but what is the difference between other countries supplying weapons to Ukraine as apposed to fighting with them. I am not saying to actual send troops as I know the potential consequences, but is supplying weapons ok and does not break any clause?
I know nothing abut it, but wouldn't is be a bit like an arms deal? But very convenient that they really need them at the moment.

I suppose Ukraine would need to be buying them. Are they buying them?