• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely stand with Ukraine and I wish them all the best in their fight to protect their country and their people, from all the news (that I've been nervously consuming), it seems like they've been doing an absolutely amazing job of that so far!

I wanted to ask in here, since I was talking with a co-worker about this situation. He's Indian and he was trying to explain to me that India & Russia have a very close relationship and that's why India doesn't want to come out and say they support Ukraine. It was a bit surprising to me because I didn't know India & Russia were so close? He was also saying that Russia shares resources/weapons with India a lot, but I don't really know enough about the topic to say one way or the other. He said the situation between Russia/Ukraine is similar to the one between India/Pakistan which....was a bit shocking to hear too.

It was just a strange conversation, I guess. But, it seems like Russia's supposed allies are dwindling in number the further this whole horrible invasion goes on, so that's good to see. I feel for the people of Russia who are suffering under Putin and never wanted this war. I really do hope this whole thing might lead to Putin finally getting ousted....

FWIW India has pivoted to Russia during the cold war while Pakistan pivoted towards the US. It can be argued that at this point that's kind of flipped but those old relationships are still there.

Veezy

Oct 27, 2017
Would Putin really care though? He may wage war as Russia's economy crashes due to the costs of war and sanctions anyway. Though cornered animals are always dangerous, so I hope none of this is enough for him to consider the use of nuclear bombs.
I'm not disagreeing with the concern, I share it to, but I would have to think that somebody in his inner circle or even top military brass in Russia would have an attitude of "is this worth ending the world over?" Like, during the high of the Cold War you had two juggernaut superpowers you could at least pretend that the destruction of the world could be justified. But ending the world because your country's leader fuck-up an invasion?

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Wasn't Lindner open for it yesterday?
m.faz.net

Annalena Baerbock fürchtet Energieengpass bei SWIFT-Ausschluss

Die deutsche Außenministerin hat sich dezidiert dagegen ausgesprochen, Russland vom internationalen Zahlungssystem SWIFT abzuschneiden. Die Grünen-Politikerin verwies auf die Abhängigkeit Deutschlands von russischer Kohle.

Baerbock sees problems because we rely on Russian coal. The greens won't do it because of coal. Can't make this shit up.

I understand there will be issues with energy and power but still, what do we have from having energy and knowing how we got it, knowing there could have been something to do against Russia? I'd rather have no power than this…

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
How is this going to fare for Kazakhstan? Didn't they have Putin come in a few weeks back to prop up their government? Are they not exposing themselves to retaliation from Russia now by not being supportive? I worry (not for the government fuck them) but because unlike Ukraine, the west isn't going to give a shit to defend the people of Kazakhstan (we all know why but that's an aside)

I think Kazakstan is probably hoping that they'll spend enough resources in Ukraine to make them an unattractive target.

They have a pretty sizable Russian minority so they're not that into the idea of helping "separatist movements".

Kilgore Trout

Oct 25, 2017
Russia is going to struggle for years to build back any goodwill. This invasion has ruined any plausible deniability for their actions. They should of just stuck to the cyber stuff if they wanted to gain influence. It was working well for them. Still so confused as to what the end goal is for them now.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Absolute legend. The guts of this dude to still be here, and the leadership qualities he's showing throughout it all...
I hope they are smart enough to be keeping a very tight circle around the president.

With Russia making statements like "Ukranians should over throw the government" they could poison him and just claim it was one of the brave Ukranians that was fighting a Nazi rule.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I think it is a case of NATO getting accurate information of troop movements and then look at Ukraine's situation and geographical information, and came up with a theory as to what the Russian military brass were likely planning.
Wouldn't be surprised if their spies also have a line into Russian communications. Russia has some great offensive electronic warfare capabilities (though, they maybe haven't been showcased well lately), but I would imagine that some of the lines that run through a bureacracy of that size, and with presumably still many holes, would have some exploitable gaps in security. After all, Biden and others in the West were PRETTY DANG SURE about what Putin was going to do many days before the rest of us had any clue.

everdom

Oct 29, 2017
How do the Belarusians feel about all this? They're participating in the invasion too.

Would be a good opportunity for protests since the Russians are distracted.
Protests on the scale of the post election protests would certainly be something. It's a long way back to Russia if Belarus becomes a shit show for them, particularly for the invaders who attacked through the CEZ.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, apparently nowadays you can just feed an AI software with whatever data you got and you'll get a clear picture of possible movements and bottlenecks. It's fascinating.
Holy shit. Well, this does not bode well for a Skynet future 😂. Glad it's helping out the Ukrainians though, massive resistance so far.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Zelensky has also played this well. I, sadly, can't see a scenario where he comes out alive here, but his leadership really has cemented Ukraine's resolve I think. If there were a weaker leader that fled, maybe things would be different, but live or die, he's a hero now.

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
Is there a FAQ or some article which states why this fucknut Putin is invading Ukraine? is it for territory/resources? or has this cunt trying to throw his weight around to show that he matters?

Putin never accepted the fall of the sovietic union. When he was younger, he wrote an essay about Russians and Ukrainians being the same people, and that Ukraine being a sovereign nation separate from Russia was "the greatest tragedy of the 20th century". Yes, greater than WW2. That's how unhinged he is.

There's also economics considerations of having access to warm-water ports in the meditteranean sea, and Ukraine is fairly rich in ressources.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017

I can feel bad for kids like this. Young, poor, more or less fooled into sacrificing his life killing innocents abroad for the profit of those in power. Kadyrov and his forces on the other hand, I have no sympathy for whatsoever. I hope they get torn apart, limb from limb. Literally.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
This might be just posturing to scare ukrainians, don't trust a single word from Russia
This is more likely for home audience as the only front they haven't opened yet is far western Ukraine (which I don't think they are prepared to do in mass). There were numerous politicians saying in Russia saying "wait, I thought we voted to protect the Donbass"

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if their spies also have a line into Russian communications. Russia has some great offensive electronic warfare capabilities (though, they maybe haven't been showcased well lately), but I would imagine that some of the lines that run through a bureacracy of that size, and with presumably still many holes, would have some exploitable gaps in security. After all, Biden and others in the West were PRETTY DANG SURE about what Putin was going to do many days before the rest of us had any clue.

I suspect that there a lot of people in well-placed positions who have Ukrainian heritage or family and thus more likely to risk their life to provide intel.

Or maybe it's just that the corruption runs so deep that people will sell anything for the right amount of money.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, you are correct. I was remembering that he witnessed the fall of the Soviet Union and just wants to Make Russia Great Again.
(I wouldn't be surprised if that slogan wasn't provided to Trump by Putin.)

The thread moves fast and I'm still catching up and not to derail here just wanted to point out that "make America great again" was stolen from Ronald reagan, not that I can say putin didn't help give the idea as no one knows but it was stolen from reagan. As I said haven't fully caught up yet so someone else may have said that already haha.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Russia is going to struggle for years to build back any goodwill. This invasion has ruined any plausible deniability for their actions. They should of just stuck to the cyber stuff if they wanted to gain influence. It was working well for them. Still so confused as to what the end goal is for them now.

Putin had wrecked his own legacy. Regardless of the outcome everything he has built up is now in tatters, he'll never be taken seriously again once this is over.

Oct 27, 2017
Screenshot_2022-02-26_at_3.45.01_pm.png

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60517447
Hopefully all these animalistic monsters meet a swift and brutal end from Ukrainian forces. The world would be a better place.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
How is this going to fare for Kazakhstan? Didn't they have Putin come in a few weeks back to prop up their government? Are they not exposing themselves to retaliation from Russia now by not being supportive? I worry (not for the government fuck them) but because unlike Ukraine, the west isn't going to give a shit to defend the people of Kazakhstan (we all know why but that's an aside)
I think the failure of this and Putin showing his ass is giving a lot of people cover to find an out. Explicit or not, I think a lot of countries are hoping this sinks Russia and their threat.

Do not post information without credible sources.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Stop it with posting unverified information with no sources backing it up in the same post.

Let me reiterate the next paragraphs from the previous staff posts, in case it was unclear:

ALL SOURCES MUST BE CHECKED BEFORE POSTING, DO NOT POST ANY FAKE LINKS OR NEWS. Please be sure to wait for confirmation from trustworthy news sources before sharing anything new.

Violating any of these guidelines will be met with no less than a 1 month ban from the site. These rules will hold for all threads on this conflict until further notice.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
If the cancer rumors are true, egomaniac leader with limited life left and backed into a corner going to cause some more nervous moments for the world. What if he threatens the West with nuclear war in retaliation for assisting Ukraine and the sanctions.
Please read the rules before posting this here.

Let's not.

Veezy

Oct 27, 2017
I agree.

You want to weaken the desire for countries to join NATO? Why wouldn't you just keep the cyber-warfare and disinformation that was, quite literally, working to demonstrate that old military alliances are not needed?
You want to weaken your peoples' desire for more independence? Why wouldn't you continue the propaganda war on your own people showing how unequal the democratic nations are, so why try anything difference?
You want to rebuild some sort of Russian Empire? Why wouldn't you keep up the small acquisitions, as you have been, that the West has been hesitant to react on a united front to?

This entire invasion has done nothing but unite the West, justify the concerns that will push more nations to want to join NATO, and show via social media the difference in leadership in Putin compared to other nations. I just don't see a damn win in all this.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Zelensky has also played this well. I, sadly, can't see a scenario where he comes out alive here, but his leadership really has cemented Ukraine's resolve I think. If there were a weaker leader that fled, maybe things would be different, but live or die, he's a hero now.
At this point Russia is in a no-win situation with him. As long as he's alive he a beacon of hope and determination.

If he dies he's a martyr.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
I'm extremely concerned for the Ukrainian people. Putin will obviously now push his military to use brutal and truly indiscriminate force against cities to try to push this war to a conclusion. Horrific war crimes on a grand scale are absolutely possible in the near future. That will push the world to bring in the most severe economic sanctions imaginable and I think in the face of such potential atrocities, some individual European countries will start to seriously consider things that seem impossible right now.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I don't have the time to Google all the details, but, if I remember correctly, there were some moments in the past, UN votes and other similar decisions, that India had that Russia assisted with. So, yes, they're closer to Russia than to Ukraine, so an outright public decrying of Russia's actions isn't on the table, but I certainly don't believe that Modi wants to spill Indian blood for Putin's fantasy of dominating his neighbors.

This video helped me with this subject.

youtu.be

Gravitas: Ukraine "deeply dissatisfied" with India's reaction

Ukraine's envoy to India has said that he is "deeply dissatisfied" with India's reaction. Why did India refuse to condemn Russia's invasion? What are the con...

FWIW India has pivoted to Russia during the cold war while Pakistan pivoted towards the US. It can be argued that at this point that's kind of flipped but those old relationships are still there.

Thank you for the insights! I'll give that video a watch today.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, they had a very methodical approach that was working for them. Heck, they could have simply formed a strong trading alliance with Ukraine in 2014 that would then be built up over time, rather than invade Crimea, and it would have worked out far better for them with no lives lost!

They literally blew away decades of work to destabilise their rivals and come out on top in a matter of days, and in the long term I do not see any outcome where Putin or Russia as a whole truly gains something from this horrific and needless war. Even if they were to formally take Ukraine and the leadership is captured and surrendered, there's going to be an insurgency that'll keep fighting. Also, given how the Russian army seems to be getting setbacks already, the prospect of a future guerilla war does not bode well for them.

Of course, the situation can change at a moment's notice and it suddenly all tips in favour of Putin, but I can't see that happening right now.