• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how much the Yeltsins knew about Putin, and could've foreseen how things would turn out decades later.
There was a PBS documentary on Putin a few years ago. Bill Clinton was speaking to Yeltsin about Putin, and said something along the lines of "I don't think he has democracy in his heart." And Yeltson allegedly started tearing up. The story was that Putin was appointed PM and later President because he would protect Yeltsin from prosecution or attack, since he was wildly unpopular in his second term.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017

Considering the accuracy of US intelligence so far, this feels like the first good sign in quite a while.

Definitely "good news" but it also unfortunately means that Putin is doubling down and there is little to nothing in the way of an offramp.

Instead of blitzing the capital, Russian troops are just going to slooowly march over the whole country. Which frankly Ukraine can't stop.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We know how much Russia loves to give its Olympic athletes steroids and performance enhancing drugs. Really makes you wonder what kind of steroids and aggression drugs Russia gives to its soldiers. Certainly they must be on anti pain and anti anxiety meds.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
There was a PBS documentary on Putin a few years ago. Bill Clinton was speaking to Yeltsin about Putin, and said something along the lines of "I don't think he has democracy in his heart." And Yeltson allegedly started tearing up. The story was that Putin was appointed PM and later President because he would protect Yeltsin from prosecution or attack, since he was wildly unpopular in his second term.

Great background -- thanks for sharing!

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
For those saying they must have been losing more troops than expected: this is more suggestive that they're going to commit the rest of their forces and are preparing for an all out assault on urban areas, and are expecting mass casulaties.

It's not a good omen at all. This bloody, awful invasion is going to get horrific, and quickly. We need to get arms and defence equipment to ukraine NOW. No fucking hanging about. Give them stingers, javelins, grenades... fucking everything they need.

I think this is already the case, three NATO allies got.the go ahead to give Ukraine arms and the US already shipped I believe 200 mil of weapons including anti armor missiles to them.

Some of it isn't down to weapons though, you also need people to run them

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
What countries have groups in those 3 countries. Canadians, US, UK, Germans?
CountryLocationLead nationCurrent participants
23px-Flag_of_Estonia.svg.png
Estonia
Tapa
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
United Kingdom
Denmark, Iceland
23px-Flag_of_Latvia.svg.png
Latvia
Ādaži
23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
Canada
Albania, Czech Republic, Iceland, Italy, Montenegro, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain
23px-Flag_of_Lithuania.svg.png
Lithuania
Rukla
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
Germany
Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Iceland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway
23px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png
Poland
Orzysz
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
Croatia, Romania, United Kingdom

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Ukrainian people are my kind of people. The sheer bravery and camaraderie on display is - I can't even put it into words. God it's so hard to even concentrate on anything else because I'm so invested in the well being of Ukraine. Makes me want to go get a Ukrainian flag to display in front of my house.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not sure if this was brought up already but I was wondering if we should have a temporary Resetera logo change to feature the Ukrainian flag, feel free to report this post if you think it's a good idea so mods can see and maybe put it in motion.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I want the president of Ukraine to get out of this ok. Even if he is scared as hell, he has been a great leader for his people through this turbulent time. If he can someone get his people to the other side of this, he will be hailed for years to come.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Russia see first hand how outclassed they are compared to the US in Syria a few years back?

Not really, apparently they got bombed to shit because they wandered into a area they shouldn't have been even after the US checked multiple times with their command, is this your lot? So they had no chance against a bombardment. Shockingly bad command mistake I guess. It was affiliated mercs I think as well not regular army but hard to tell with Russia these days.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely "good news" but it also unfortunately means that Putin is doubling down and there is little to nothing in the way of an offramp.

Instead of blitzing the capital, Russian troops are just going to slooowly march over the whole country. Which frankly Ukraine can't stop.
Russia will have supply line issues though, they were having issues supplying troops in Belarus already. A long slow war makes them more vulnerable, especially if the Ukrainian population started targeting those supply lines specifically.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
Just so surreal to me. An aggressive military invasion in the developed world, and the we have to watch on.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Huge props to the Russian people who put themselves on the line here. They deserve so much better than the scum that's running their country. Perhaps ultimately this will be the end of Putin and the lives of the Russian people could have a chance to improve. Here's hoping.
Yep, godspeed to brave Ukranians defending their homes and brave Russians protesting Putin's regime. Despite this terrible situation, it is indeed inspiring to see such spirit. May Putin rot in hell.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love to know who put the fear of god into the hold outs, aside from Putin of course. Someone must have put their fist down at one of these meetings today because just a few hours ago Germany and Italy were doing fuck all to help.
honestly I wonder if public pressure gets to them from domestic constituencies. they mention the things they're shaky on, and then you get the public out roar. I imagine the average italian citizen doesn't care about oligarchs having access to gucci

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Feels more like a regroup than a slow down given the pace thus far. I'd love to be wrong.

Russia attacked just over 36 hours ago. If they already have to slow down to re-supply that doesn't speak highly of their preparation. This also gives Ukraine time to rest and dig in. Russia may be adjusting their strategy but this still looks like a very poorly planned operation.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Dude is a fucking hero. You'd never see Boris Johnson in military fatigues in the middle of a warzone.

Also, Vitaly Klitschko is right there on the front lines.

MASSIVE respect to the Ukrainian politicians and the population in general. Their bravery is nothing short of incredible.

Former President of Ukraine is in the streets with an AK

Imagine David Cameron doing that lol

Oct 26, 2017
Just so surreal to me. An aggressive military invasion in the developed world, and the we have to watch on.
The most surreal part is that we are are able to watch on. This is the first time in history something of this scale is happening in the social media/streaming era. Interestingly enough, this may also be something that complicates the freedom Russia has to make movements through Ukraine without immediate updates.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I want the president of Ukraine to get out of this ok. Even if he is scared as hell, he has been a great leader for his people through this turbulent time. If he can someone get his people to the other side of this, he will be hailed for years to come.
The hilarious thing is, Ukrainian patriots are still saying he's a clown and could've done a hell of a lot more.

Even if the Russians get him (which I doubt) it won't stop the resistance. Martial law is in effect, there's a chain of command, and number 2 (Secretary of Security Council ) wasn't at that video, so he's probably in a different location to coordinate ongoing resistance.

In good news, Kyiv territorial defense got a shipment of NLAWs. Russian armor can commence quaking.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Between Switzerland joining sanctions and Serbia, while not condoning sanctions, criticizing Russia for invading Ukraine this really isn't going the way Putin thought it would?

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
This thread is moving fast, but speaking as an American, how can I help? Are there better places to give my support for Ukrainian aid that others? Nova? Doctors Without Borders? Didn't see anything in the OP.

Thanks, Era. Stay safe 🙏

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
It really blows my mind that Russia has only had a form of democracy for what... 9yrs out of their entire history. Maybe a slight bit of "freedom" between 1917 and 1922? Its been warlords Dukes, Tsars, Soviets and now this asshole.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd love to know who put the fear of god into the hold outs, aside from Putin of course. Someone must have put their fist down at one of these meetings today because just a few hours ago Germany and Italy were doing fuck all to help.

Could be if you don't scratch our back we won't scratch yours ultimatum. I also think it's possible agencies know a lot about Russian connections and who on is the hook for what and quite shady themselves so possible pressure there.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is moving fast, but speaking as an American, how can I help? Are there better places to give my support for Ukrainian aid that others? Nova? Doctors Without Borders? Didn't see anything in the OP.

Thanks, Era. Stay safe 🙏
Check out this thread

www.resetera.com

Ukraine Humanitarian Relief/Support Efforts Thread

PLEASE CLICK HERE TO CHECK THREADMARKS FOR OTHER SOURCES OF RELIEF EFFORTS The following is to directly help the city of Sumy: https://www.fond.sumy.ua/ Found this on the r/Ukraine thread and thought it would be useful sharing it here as well. These are a list of links that people can...

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020

Thanks, Era. Stay safe 🙏
There is a stickied thread with places to donate to Ukrainians.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
The most surreal part is that we are are able to watch on. This is the first time in history something of this scale is happening in the social media/streaming era. Interestingly enough, this may also be something that complicates the freedom Russia has to make movements through Ukraine without immediate updates.
Yep it's truly crazy and terrifying to think about. Two country's' armies full on fighting… hasn't really happened since what, the Gulf War? And now everything is televised. It's just really surreal and sad.