• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Russian momentum has almost completely stopped since this morning they have made no notable gains from what i'm seeing. In some areas like kherson they even lost strategic positions like bridges.

Definitely scratching your head a bit you're NATO.

I don't think people give enough credit to how hard invasions are, especially ones where you only strike military or hotspot activity. I don't want this change, but Russia seemed to do its best when it was being indiscriminate, Syria they just shelled the population into submission basically leveled a city. Despite being willing to go after some infrastructure this very much seems focused on regime change then all out war with the populace. I fear what decisions get made they start treating this war as a true invasion of the population. Indiscriminate bombing/artillery is when things I think will get really bad for people in Ukraine if they seek that path. There has been hot spots here and there but from what I can tell that hasn't happened much yet. Having said that 200k military versus population in the millions who all grew up knowing how to fire a gun is not something you can hope to crush without indiscriminate fire.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
I find it very sad but also very admirable to see so many people actually stand up and tell Russia to fuck off. As somebody who grew up mostly in the US, I can't even imagine how it must feel to be proud of your country and to stand up for it. I don't think we'd ever feel that sense of unity here in a similar circumstance.

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017
In a way I'm surprised by the people who claim pacifism and refuse to kill in self defence for their very existence and loved ones, because many of us have grown up being saturated in fiction that depicts rebels, whether it be Star Wars, Matrix or Lord of the Rings, but it seems none of that media that's constantly drummed into our heads from a young age, nor even being born and living in a democracy, has made an impact. Their gut instinct is to immediately surrender and hope for the best.

I have no qualms with anyone who would flee in the face of fascism and aggression, that's completely normal and often the best option, especially if you've got a family to protect, but to quickly prostrate oneself before a threat like Putin without any hesitation is really fucking depressing and naive.

It's especially frustrating for me because I was in the Army. I have a legitimate sense and understanding of the price of freedom.

People don't realize how much freedom they exercise in the simple act of buying a coke and some M&M's for themselves. It may sound utterly ridiculous.

But when as part of your training you have literally everything taken from you and have zero freedom to determine much of anything for yourself or your course in life, you come to appreciate the blood that was shed and the lives that were lost so that their descendants could live the lives we do.

I definitely have come to appreciate the smallest and seemingly most insignificant things that most folks don't even give a second thought about.

I know some folks may find my phrasing it in such a way inane. But I look at what is going on in Ukraine and fully support all of the souls standing and fighting for their friends, family, loved ones, and home.

I am sincerely hoping they hold out, and somehow, win back their peace.

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
Disappointed by the number of young men fleeing with their shit in news reports. Children and Women I can understand.

I hope if the West admits refugees, young able-bodied men are given the lowest priority.
Why is it a bad take? Even the government realised what was happening and imposed a ban.

Can we not defend forced conscription?
Go join your country's reserve or something if you need to project about how "brave" you would be.

Would love to shut off my Windows news pop ups so that when I try to focus on work for an hour, I don't accidentally move my mouse to the right corner of my screen and see in bold letters Putin Overtly Threatens Nuclear Strikes. JFC.

I welcome advice.

I've been reading up on this because I'm worried for the people of Ukraine but I also need to keep my job and focus for an hour without having a panic attack.

Take a break. If anything else, we're lucky that we can. Damaging your mental health won't help anybody, and it's not immoral to take a break from following an upsetting situation. Stay informed, but pace yourself.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
You speak like if this war is necessary. The Russian Army considerably larger than the Ukrainian and it's not like diplomacy was used. People are dying, there are places where people lived their own lives that disappeared in a matter of seconds.

Blessed be the places that have never had an armed conflict because they are geographically distant from the rest of the world.

They spent weeks and weeks before invasion trying to reason with Putin. He put terms that were impossible to satisfy and even Putin knew that. He always wanted to invade Ukraine.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
You speak like if this war is necessary. The Russian Army considerably larger than the Ukrainian. People are dying, there are places where people lived their own lives that disappeared in a matter of seconds.

Blessed be the places that have never had an armed conflict because they are geographically distant from the rest of the world.

What

No what the hell are you talking about

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Putin is not going to use nuclear weapons at any capacity. Russia only wants Ukraine for geopolitical and historical reasons, and is betting on inaction from the West so this war does not spiral into something much larger. Don't pay attention to all the hyperbole and tweets about World War III, ask yourself how many other times have sensationalists made claims of that for other issues? Take things one step at a time.
Completely agree with this rationale, thank you for being kind enough to respond. It just made my heart jump to see those words when I was trying to focus. Now I just need to find a way to turn off news headlines in Windows.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I find it very sad but also very admirable to see so many people actually stand up and tell Russia to fuck off. As somebody who grew up mostly in the US, I can't even imagine how it must feel to be proud of your country and to stand up for it. I don't think we'd ever feel that sense of unity here in a similar circumstance.

I don't know any nations who love their flags as much as the Americans though...

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
God forbid a man has to take care of the elderly, and a woman needs to figure out guns????
I'm not saying that men shouldn't look after the elderly or children, just saying that realistically it isn't really what happens. Men still aren't picking up anywhere near of their fair share of that work. And I think they are completely able too. They didn't do it during the pandemic. There's been numerous refugee crisis where young abler men where overwhelming able to get out compared to other groups. I'm describing the problem, not endorsing it

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Guys, how are you coping with this situation overall? Are you taking a walk in between? Having a drink? Can you play something? Do you need to work, can you? My PhD work right now is sort of on my own schedule, and I find it hard to concentrate.

I have been folowing it live online since the invasion began, here at night where I live. Basically all I have been doing is refresh this thread, be on twitter. Go between anger for that prick Putin and being sad for the people of Ukraine depending on what new news I am reading. Couldn't concentrate on any movie or game so far. Constantly am on my phone basically.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Guys, how are you coping with this situation overall? Are you taking a walk in between? Having a drink? Can you play something? Do you need to work, can you? My PhD work right now is sort of on my own schedule, and I find it hard to concentrate. Fully knowing this is posting from a privileged position here safe in the West.
far from danger, following along with the news at work. I work a remote job supporting IT infrastructure, so I usually have the TV on during the day even if muted

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
I don't think people give enough credit to how hard invasions are, especially ones where you only strike military or hotspot activity. I don't want this change, but Russia seemed to do its best when it was being indiscriminate, Syria they just shelled the population into submission basically leveled a city. Despite being willing to go after some infrastructure this very much seems focused on regime change then all out war with the populace. I fear what decisions get made they start treating this war as a true invasion of the population. Indiscriminate bombing/artillery is when things I think will get really bad for people in Ukraine if they seek that path. There has been hot spots here and there but from what I can tell that hasn't happened much yet. Having said that 200k military versus population in the millions who all grew up knowing how to fire a gun is not something you can hope to crush without indiscriminate fire.
And do not forget supply issues if army advance too far too fast. Maybe they 'overshot' a bit and now have to wait for resupply or reinforcements.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Please stop clogging the thread to chastise the same person from 2 pages back. Over and over and over again.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how closely Russia is following the foundations of geopolitics by Aleksandr Dugin

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics

The book is from 1997 and had plans for cutting Britain from the EU, annexing all of Ukraine, causing the US to be more isolationist and have infighting, etc.

Here is the section for the US:
  • Russia should use its special services within the borders of the United States to fuel instability and separatism, for instance, provoke "Afro-American racists". Russia should "introduce geopolitical disorder into internal American activity, encouraging all kinds of separatism and ethnic, social and racial conflicts, actively supporting all dissident movements – extremist, racist, and sectarian groups, thus destabilizing internal political processes in the U.S. It would also make sense simultaneously to support isolationist tendencies in American politics"
Remember when trump was super anti nato? How he criticized the US for being the world police and how Nato should be paying the US for their bases in their countries? Seems like that's exactly what Russia wants.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
And do not forget supply issues if army advance too far too fast. Maybe they 'overshot' a bit and now have to wait for resupply or reinforcements.

Russia didn't achieve their Day 1 objectives to secure key infrastructure. So yes, they are slowed down by lack of supplies.

"Infantry wins battles, logistics wins wars." So said Army General John J. Pershing,

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Guys, how are you coping with this situation overall? Are you taking a walk in between? Having a drink? Can you play something? Do you need to work, can you?

First night I couldn't sleep, so I re-read some stoic philosophy literature to calm down. This shit is beyond me, so torturing myself isn't going to make a difference. It was nice to see the Ukraine help thread notification today though.

btw, if anyone wants to read a book about Stoicism, this is the best one I've read: The Practicing Stoic: A Philosophical User's Manual by Ward Farnsworth.

It's especially frustrating for me because I was in the Army. I have a legitimate sense and understanding of the price of freedom.

People don't realize how much freedom they exercise in the simple act of buying a coke and some M&M's for themselves. It may sound utterly ridiculous.

But when as part of your training you have literally everything taken from you and have zero freedom to determine much of anything for yourself or your course in life, you come to appreciate the blood that was shed and the lives that were lost so that their descendants could live the lives we do.

I definitely have come to appreciate the smallest and seemingly most insignificant things that most folks don't even give a second thought about.

I know some folks may find my phrasing it in such a way inane. But I look at what is going on in Ukraine and fully support all of the souls standing and fighting for their friends, family, loved ones, and home.

I am sincerely hoping they hold out, and somehow, win back their peace.

We are very coddled and comfortable in our bliss. When I see American neo-Nazis I'm sometimes stupefied. These people likely wouldn't exist if the Nazis had won; Hitler would have wiped out the fools ancestors if they had created nukes first.

There are misfortunes happening in this world still, but generally humanity has never had it so good, people who live in stable societies need constant reminders of this to treasure what they've got or it all gets forgotten amid consumerism. (given that we're on a video game forum I often get sucked into escapism)

The bravery on display in Ukraine from top to bottom is incredible. Really fortunate their current President has a spine.

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017
Guys, how are you coping with this situation overall? Are you taking a walk in between? Having a drink? Can you play something? Do you need to work, can you? My PhD work right now is sort of on my own schedule, and I find it hard to concentrate. Fully knowing this is posting from a privileged position here safe in the West.

Distracting myself with work. I work I.T. And have a mountain of issues before me. But it doesn't stop my heart from being sick and torn and constantly checking this thread for any sign of news that is a spark of hope.

It's hard. I just cannot find it within myself to play games or watch TV much at all. I slept horrible last night, and kept having twisted, messed up dreams about the whole situation in Ukraine.

So, bluntly, I'm not coping well overall

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Given the nation's separate yet entwined histories, believe me Ukrainians are kinda primed as kids to know Russians are bad news (and that's me putting it lightly). I think they're 100% willing to fight the fight because they sorta knew this was gonna happen one ugly day (and of course someone like Putin would instigate it).

Seems like my ex got on someone's van to go from Kyiv to the Polish border. I'm waiting for news.

My russian friends are all so disgusted with all of what's happening and afraid of the consequences (sanctions) and hatred they're going to be receiving, from what they told me.

I tried to make them aware that they're brave for opposing a tyrant like this and that we're all aware that this is on Putin, not the russian people.

It's true. While Russia is in the news a lot, I'm certain mostly everyone knows it's Putin at the helm of all this shit. Ukraine and Russia are not some ridiculously wealthy/healthy nations, so I can't imagine the citizens of either side wanting this on top of all their current problems. :/

Take a break. It can get "addicting" to try to keep up with it, but it won't do you any good. If you feel the need to do SOMETHING, then there's a charity/relief effort thread by Helix that you can def help on. But otherwise, try to force yourself away and keep yourself occupied with something else. The army is giving it all they got and [most of] the world sees Russia in the wrong. We just gotta have faith for now.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
The wording is ambiguous, but there kinda is.

But even if there isn't, Finland is eurozone. Attacking them would bring the whole western world into defense in order to save the world economy. Heck I wouldn't even be surprise if China joined.
China dont care about Finland

Our closest allies are the nations to the west and EU does what EU does after that

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
It's crazy how closely Russia is following the foundations of geopolitics by Aleksandr Dugin

The book is from 1997 and had plans for cutting Britain from the EU, annexing all of Ukraine, causing the US to be more isolationist and have infighting, etc.

• Russia should use its special services within the borders of the United States to fuel instability and separatism, for instance, provoke "Afro-American racists". Russia should "introduce geopolitical disorder into internal American activity, encouraging all kinds of separatism and ethnic, social and racial conflicts, actively supporting all dissident movements – extremist, racist, and sectarian groups, thus destabilizing internal political processes in the U.S. It would also make sense simultaneously to support isolationist tendencies in American politics"
Remember when trump was super anti nato? How he criticized the US for being the world police and how Nato should be paying the US for their bases in their countries? Seems like that's exactly what Russia wants.
Definitely seems like a book written by someome with no sense of morality whatsoever

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

been more off and about than yesterday, I'm able to do my work but I can't stop checking in for updates every 10 mins because things are moving very quickly in this situation

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom

Indeed. But this isn't all on Trump, as that excerpt also displays. I know we all want to shove blame onto the right, but the left has a share of the blame here too.

If we are to defeat this in the long term, the left in the west needs to stop fucking eating itself. We can have our disagreements, but we shouldn't just retire to authoritarian lead.

This is a global scale fight, and anyone wgainst facism should be united right now.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017

It's interesting though in the pursuit of this they're (Russia) essentially further isolating themselves from the world, essentially furthering the resolve of NATO nations if not adding to its ranks.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Homophobic language over a series of posts, long history of inflammatory behavior and prior severe infractions
• Sanctions - NOW (Swift, strict non-energy export/import ban, revoke visas of all oligarchs and their friends/family)
• Resupply with ammo/transport/missiles launchers at Polish Border
• Sweden and Finland to declare an intent to join NATO
• ME countries increasing supply to Europe of oil and gas as much as possible
• More social pressure like sports and entertainment events being cancelled in Russia, and Russia disinvented from them elsewhere
• Internet campaigns and cyberattacks to show the true how Putin is attacking Ukraine, and how Russians are dying on the streets for nothing
• Russias and international celebrities/influencers all sharing anti-war content
• Finish with the Iran to re-enter the agreement when it comes to sanctions and suspension of their nuclear program. It was at the idiotic standstill where both parties demand the other act first (Remove Sanctions or Stop Enrichment/Allow Monitoring first), so just make this rare compromise of lifting fucking sanction first.
• Make Russia's cocksucking military partners see how a lot of their products are not effective, countered by much cheaper weaponry. If this was supposed to be a demonstration of Russia's superpower, it should backfire.
• EU better carves billions in hundreds for Ukraine's aid in refugees, military, infrastructure, manufacturing, city rebuilding - it is your money and appeasement that allowed Putin to act this way

Fight the cancer while it is exposed. I feel like as Russia policy, army and its troll armies failing, the world can actually come closer together.

Last edited: