• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
Germany gave ukraine up to 1.8 billion over the last years. I know some people are unhappy with Germany right now and I want them to do more as well. Having said that trying to paint a narrative of Germany just doing nothing, when that's not the case is weird.

www.auswaertiges-amt.de

Germany’s wide-ranging and long-term commitment to Ukraine

Germany is very keen to see a stable, democratic and economically flourishing Ukraine, which is why the German Government has provided the country with such a high level of support.
Ukraine is under attack in part because your political class perused a decades-long, naive policy towards Russia, thereby enriching their mafia state despite all indicators pointing to it as being an adversary.

The fact that NS2 got built despite what is happening in since Ukraine 2014 makes your country even more complicit.
Why do you think the attack happened when it got finished? Because Putin was (and probably still is) convinced that the gas will flow no matter what happens in Ukraine.

Have those 5000 helmets been shipped yet?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Exactly, I want to know what are the alternative sources of gas, are they sufficiently available and at what price. But you will never get information this clear-cut, will you?

The Western nations talked before that gas would be provided for Europe from elsewhere if Russia went this far and big choices had to made but there hasn't been a peep since so I dunno.

Oct 30, 2017
the alternative to handle gas needs should be trade and normalized relations between eu and iran

Also, there are enormous new gas fields in the North Sea that are still being planned. It's partly why the UK has been more bullish than EU nations - but it could supply a large need in the bloc until renewables crank up more and other sources are found.

It also explains why the UK government has been so determined to push through with shale gas and north sea expansion despite enormous opposition domestically.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Oh FUCKING EXCUSE ME, ENGLISH MASTER, kurwa mać
Get off your high horse. You're in a thread about Russia invading Ukraine and oppressing it's people, using terminology from an era when it was under Soviet control. It's insulting.

How do you install a puppet government in a country that for the most part does not like you very much, even less now that you've blown up their cities and killed their people.

There are like a million ways this will backfire on Russia. Guerilla warfare for one.
Plan seems to be with executions and a liberal amount of wishful thinking.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you install a puppet government in a country that for the most part does not like you very much, even less now that you've blown up their cities and killed their people.

There are like a million ways this will backfire on Russia. Guerilla warfare for one.
Constant crimes against humanity to shatter their will to resist.

Russia is already sending in death squads and cluster munitions. Wouldn't be surprised if chemical weapons follow.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Let's face it, europe is with Putin, with the exception of eastern europe and some countries surrounding it.

No one wants to face the economical backslash with real sanction + most countries already deals with lots of "internal" problems too

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
The main reason nobody is stepping in against Russia is basically nukes, right?

The threat of Russia's nukes are heavily over-stated. Russia would have to be truly desparate to use them as it would mean their mutual destruction; they'd likely only use them if Russia were being directly invaded by NATO.

The real reason no one was stepping in is because world leaders believed there was no appetite in their home countries to send troops to Ukraine and potentially end up in a shooting war. Basically, they thought directly protecting Ukraine was bad for winning elections.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Ukraine is under attack in part because your political class perused a decades-long, naive policy towards Russia, thereby enriching their mafia state despite all indicators pointing to it as being an adversary.

The fact that NS2 got built despite what is happening in since Ukraine 2014 makes your country even more complicit.
Why do you think the attack happened when it got finished? Because Putin was (and probably still is) convinced that the gas will flow no matter what happens in Ukraine.

Have those 5000 helmets been shipped yet?
The attack happened, because Putin wants the Russian empire back. If we won't buy gas he still would've attacked ukraine.

Btw I already said I won't forgive germany for being so dependent on Russia. But that doesn't excuse you lying about Germany doing nothing and now (if I understood you right) implying Germany could've stopped the attack when not buying gas.

Laranja

Oct 31, 2017
London
Oh FUCKING EXCUSE ME, ENGLISH MASTER, kurwa mać

Not replying to you directly, Potterson, but a general note on the comment you're replying to:

I keep seeing people being pedantic about this and it really is getting to me. Saying or writing "the Ukraine" may be grammatically incorrect, but there are no intrinsic negative connotations to it, as some people have suggested.

Anyone suggesting there are is just showing how ignorant they are about languages other than English and how the usage of articles before nouns is employed in other languages.

Seeing that this conflict is happening in Europe, you're going to see a lot of people chime in that do not speak English as their primary language. Can we please try to keep that in mind?

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Putin feeling all confirmed in his world views and laughing about Draghi right here when he hears about Gucci.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The attack happened, because Putin wants the Russian empire back. Not because Germany buys gas. If we won't buy it, he still would've attacked ukraine. Btw I already said I won't forgive Germany for being so dependent on Russia.

It's about letting Russia get away with loads of shit because of said gas that got us to this point. Sure, it may have happened regardless but kids gloves were in play because of gas and sure nukes so who knows. It did leave Europe with one hand tied behind their back.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Constant crimes against humanity to shatter their will to resist.

Russia is already sending in death squads and cluster munitions. Wouldn't be surprised if chemical weapons follow.

Problem with that is that you'd have thought the Russians more than anyone would know that that does not work. Short of just killing everyone.

Headman Rum

Oct 28, 2017
If Europe isn't going to help because countries want to carry on selling and buying shit to and from Russia, the Ukrainians should take things into their own hands and blow up those gas pipes running through their country.
Might be painful for citizens of the eu and uk but at the end of the day, our leaders our failing Ukraine (and us) right now.

25th Baam

Jan 9, 2018
I hate myself for saying this, but it's the optics.
Well maybe they hope for a french revolution style anger from the population, like rich people can still access their luxury goods, but we have to suffer. Like "why don't they eat cakes".
Still in the big scale of things, this is rather minor, if not disappointing. People should not be surprised though, we still living under Capitalism unfortunately.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Problem with that is that you'd have thought the Russians more than anyone would know that that does not work. Short of just killing everyone.
I mean... It's clear no one will do anything if he decided to kill every Ukrainian man woman and child.

What's a little genocide to get in the way of profits?

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
If Europe isn't going to help because countries want to carry on selling and buying shit to and from Russia, the Ukrainians should take things into their own hands and blow up those gas pipes running through their country.
Might be painful for citizens of the eu and uk but at the end of the day, our leaders our failing Ukraine (and us) right now.
kinda suprised they havent done that yet. asset dinial is part of war, and the EU cant complain lol.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
You could argue that Ukraine was basically swindled by the US / UK and betrayed by Russia:
www.npr.org

Why Ukraine gave up its nuclear weapons — and what that means in an invasion by Russia

Three decades ago, the newly independent country of Ukraine was briefly the third-largest nuclear power in the world. A lot has changed since then.
You really can't.

That's not how security guarantees or mutual defense pacts are written. They are not implied, they are explicit. The US and the UK never committed to using military force in defense of Ukraine. I wish they had, but they did not.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As a citizen of the EU, I'm OK with this.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, if they want to waste loads of money in useless accessories, I don't really see a problem, specially when their assets should be already frozen.

It is the unity.

Sacrificing unity to peddle luxury cars and clothing.

Do you see how putting your own economic interest over peace or genocide means that suddently, every EU country can go karen and demand their preferred sector to be excluded from sanctions?

These sanctions always meant jack-shit, watered down bullshit for overpaid politicians to clap in the assembly hall pretending they do anything productive. The day of invasion should have been the day where all trade and services between EU and Russia stops.

Germany should never-ever have control of EU exective position again, they compromise both climate and peace for their wealth.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Ukrainians dying in indiscriminate bombings and EU states be like "Yeah, but our economy. We can't live without trade to a fascist regime!"

We learnt nothing from WWII.

Not even WWII, we still are in the middle of a deadly pandemic, and while people were dying by huge numbers it still was "but the economy". Capitalists will always value money over lives.