• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
What's the deal with that? If Russia is forced back out, they'll crack open the old reactor room and let the radiation pollute the area on their way back to Russia?
No. That would cause more damage to Russia than the west.

They want Chernobyl because of it's closeness to Kyiv and the fact it has an airstrip. It allows them to set up a rotating force of air vehicles close to their primary target. The capital.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Cyber attacks happen every day from every vector, and they don't start actual wars. It would depend on what was targeted, as well.

Those are not official cyber attacks from foreign governments. There is a difference between a cyber attack with unofficial ties to a foreign country, even if we all know it is a covert sanctioned action. And the U.S. or any country actually declaring they are responsible for a cyber attack. That is war.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
That or the Ukrainian military are digging in strategic places
Russia is attacking with mobile groups --their BTGs.

They try to move around entrenched positions, and cut them off.

Whenever they face resistance, their tanks are typically inferior to Javelin and NLAW fire.

But they try to avoid those fights and then capture residential areas to cause panic.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Also for those

Have you thought about how doing nothing doesn't solve anything as they don't want Russia to get more power and be next door to NATO countries, makes a bigger problem for them.

USA needs to do something or Biden will look even more weak than Obama with Crimea.
What is this "something" he hasn't done you want him to do?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The US and others ARE openly talking about cyber attacks though.. not sure why they would if it wasn't on the table.

A "declaration of war" is sort of meaningless at this point.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
Those are not official cyber attacks from foreign governments. There is a difference between a cyber attack with unofficial ties to a foreign country, even if we all know it is a covert sanctioned action. And the U.S. or any country actually declaring they are responsible for a cyber attack. That is war.
What is war in this day and age? The only question is if Putin would respond with cyber attacks as well or conventional

GGenoGold24

Banned
Feb 21, 2022
I have been wondering the same. I think it's the best opportunity for Putin right now, with Covid causing inflation and gas shortages already. If he was hoping to minimize the worlds response, now is the best time imo. It's also winter and a lot of Europe needs Russia to heat their homes.

Too bad for him, we're all still going to sanction the shit out of Russia. Inflation and gas prices be damned.

Too bad for Putin. We're all still going to sanction the shit out of Russia.

Well said.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I really hope Biden's government don't do the stupid thing of enacting on official cyberwarfare.

Fugo

Nov 16, 2017
I really hope it doesn't end up this way. Damn it.

it's not like us EU citizens should freeze to death until new natural gas with other partners are made. It was a grave mistake to make the Union to make us that much dependant to a single country. And I condemn Russia's actions, but I want to be actuallye be able to heat up my house

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I really hope Biden's government don't do the stupid thing of enacting on official cyberwarfare.
He won't. It's not happening. Would also be monumentally stupid to announce it and then immediately follow through, which would sort of lock down attribution, wouldn't it? It's a reminder of capabilities -- nothing more.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Also for those

Have you thought about how doing nothing doesn't solve anything as they don't want Russia to get more power and be next door to NATO countries, makes a bigger problem for them.

USA needs to do something or Biden will look even more weak than Obama with Crimea.

Again, NATO cannot step out its boundaries. "NATO constitutes a system of collective security, whereby its independent member states agree to mutual defense in response to an attack by any external party". Ukraine is not part of NATO, so getting involved is risky. At best, they can offer troops for emergency aids or evacuation efforts.

Very, very, very, VERY few people want to get involved in a war. The best case scenario is Russia changing its mind due to heavy sanctions, with NATO supplying Ukraine with tech to hold them out the most they can.

Nov 27, 2020
The nature of cyber attacks give governments deniability. Even if everyone knows where they're coming from, it's difficult to prove. I highly doubt that Biden will come out and say that the US is beginning a cyber campaign against Russia.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
So, two hours ago there was supposedly a large airborne assault op going on according to Ukraine that was posted in this thread with 18 heavy transport aircraft inbound from Peskov; however I have not seen anything come of it so may have been false or they aborted.

CJSeven

Oct 30, 2018
100% agree with Kasparov on immediate military-related steps. NATO needs to continue to flood western Ukraine with anti-tank and anti-air weapons, among other equipment. Javelins, Stingers, etc, are going to be critical to tactically slow Russian offensives.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Putin has invaded a country unprovoked. Obviously nobody wants US troops on the ground. But without that, you start to run into limited options. Sanctions and cyber attacks - something Russia has had no problem doing themselves. There are going to have to be some harsh tools considered given the situation.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
I find it really jarring to see the press from CNN just filming this stuff while being completely ignored, I don't know why but it is like, a big disconnect or something.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Russia was seen as a fallen empire so to suggest they were a threat before what went down in Georgia, and even after, you would have been laughed at. The idea was that Russia was broken and would therefore behave themselves. Obviously, the world was very WRONG.
It's like "let's bring capitalism to China! It'll solve everything" all over again.