• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
People need to be careful with what they are linking from randos on Twitter. I can't say what you are linking is false but I think if it has hashtag worldwar 3 it's probably not a great source of information.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Former German chancellor Gerhard Schröder has commented on the situation on LinkedIn. He does not resign form his Gazprom lobbying position. Calls for deescalation, says there were multiple mistakes on all sides, but war is not the solution and unjustified. This is a weak statement as expected.

E661-E789-5-F07-43-D5-9105-5-C8861683-F69.jpg
I don't know the guy except that he had something to do with Nord Stream 2. A case of

My income > My country?

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
User Permanently Threadbanned: Off Topic Thread Derail in Sensitive Thread
The eventual ARMA 4 is going to be used for so many of these 'faked' footage snippets.

I know it's a HUGE tangent, but you made me look at their new engine and their FAQ reads:

Does this mean all of your games will now be released on consoles as well?

They don't have to but they can as the engine runs on PC, PlayStation, and Xbox. Enfusion-built games don't have to be "ported" and can be developed for all three platforms at the same time while sharing a common code base and assets.

Hopefully that means Console Versions of ArmA4.

Vennt

Oct 27, 2017
Just in case anybody is wanting the Russians to take heavy losses in terms of life please remember that the soldiers and pilots are not there by choice. Blame the slime that sent them there. Hold those wastes of humanity accountable.

In a situation like this it's zero-sum, You can blame the leaders and still wish Russians to feel heavy losses because the alternative is even heavier Ukrainian losses and the Russian losses will be military, whereas the Ukrainian losses a mix of Military *AND* Civilian.

So for the time being, Fuck Putin AND fuck the Russian soldiers.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Just saw a Russian helicopter up close laying in an open field on youtube. Looks like the ones flying in other videos. Tons of "battle damage". Don't know what happened to the crew, no-one in it, but it's pretty shot up/damaged.

Hope Russia takes huge losses in every way from this.

I've seen that too. Every time I see a video like that all I can think of the absolute MILLIONS of dollars worth of equipment getting created just to be destroyed again. Imagine using that money for good instead. Fucks me off.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Fucking Putin.

I really don't know what the rest of the world does right now. Any military provocation towards Russia could lead to nuclear war, so........what? What do we do? Do we let the global order reshuffle? Are we ready to see new lines and borders drawn for fear of an even bigger conflict?

One thing is for sure, left unabated, Putin doesn't stop at the Ukraine. Not a chance.
Nobody is going to escalate to nuclear war unless someone decides that there is no point in going forward. Putin is crazy, but he's not stupid.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Former German chancellor Gerhard Schröder has commented on the situation on LinkedIn. He does not resign form his Gazprom lobbying position. Calls for deescalation, says there were multiple mistakes on all sides, but war is not the solution and unjustified. This is a weak statement as expected.

E661-E789-5-F07-43-D5-9105-5-C8861683-F69.jpg

Fuck him

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
No, people don't know what war looks like, actually.

This is the first livestreamed major conflict. Even the Iraq War, which was famous for being broadcast, was pumped through media outfits.
this, and frankly, why desensitize this? This is what real people in Ukraine are currently experiencing. I don't want to see less, I want to see more. People should feel angry. War is bloody, and is why it should be avoided at all cost. How can you really understand this if you don't see it for yourself?

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
No, we don't. As I mentioned previous I'm a veteran, and I have no idea how terrified I would be if I were at home under artillery/rocket/air attack. There's a vast difference between knowing about a rocket strike and experiencing one.

Always useful to remind people what it's like for those stuck there.
No, people don't know what war looks like, actually.

This is the first livestreamed major conflict. Even the Iraq War, which was famous for being broadcast, was pumped through media outfits.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't want to fucking see it and I don't understand those who do. I'm not going to learn anything from it, it just makes me utterly depressed.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
a good rule of thumb is to share media from Twitter accounts with a verified badge and are closely tied to a news agency

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't want to fucking see it and I don't understand those who do. I'm not going to learn anything from it, it just makes me utterly depressed.
I bet people in Ukraine wish they could just filter out bombs being thrown at them too.

Look, if you don't want to see the cost of this war, don't press play.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know the guy except that he had something to do with Nord Stream 2. A case of

My income > My country?
I think its more of
my income > my country > other countries needs

Germany really isn't at risk of invasion from this. This guy's thoughts as former leader are about as useless as Trump's, however he does sit on the board for Gazprom, so it is a bit more damning (and by a bit, I really mean a lot). IMO he's saying that Ukraine is fine to sacrifice as long as his income/Germany remain untouched (which isn't really too uncommon of a reaction to a war near your border)

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
After conquering Ukraine would Putin be actually dumb enough to invade a member of NATO?

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Can we implement a policy so it's verified sources only for video clips?

It might not eliminate all of the old or out of context footage, but it should make a difference, right?

Staff post

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Guys, please don't post stuff from Twitter randos. Given how crazy this situation is, and how much misinformation is floating around, actual journalists and legitimite news agencies only.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Better off asking the Taliban for help than one of these useless governments in the West

it's not that they're useless... there's just huge geopolitical consequences for direct intervention

you can't forget that Russia is a huge nuclear power and that threat looms large. there's a reason a lot of conflicts are proxy wars. russia propping up one side, usa/nato propping up the other... or whenever each country enters in a conflict, the other just supplies the resistance.

nuclear war is a probable outcome in direct conflict. economic pressure is one major tool that NATO has at it's disposal. it's what slowly crushed the USSR.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
a good rule of thumb is to share media from Twitter accounts with a verified badge and are closely tied to a news agency
This, like it isn't even hard. Click on their profile and verify they are from a trusted news source. Next, give a quick glance at the comments. Make sure people aren't calling it out as inaccurate.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
I don't understand the idiot logic that Russia is justifiably doing this because they didn't want to have Ukraine be a Nato country on its border, meanwhile, if he takes control of Ukraine he will have 4 Nato countries on his border.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Nobody is going to escalate to nuclear war unless someone decides that there is no point in going forward. Putin is crazy, but he's not stupid.

Sure, but if the threat of nukes is enough to pacify the West from any action towards Russia's military invasion of Eastern Europe then when does it no longer become a threat?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
My thoughts are with all those citizens in the Ukraine. I can't express how I really feel right now. 😭😔

Boris Johnson pushes for Russia to be ejected from Swift payment system
Oct 30, 2017
Paywalled, have to summarize. Is this is coming from politicians?

From the article

Boris Johnson, UK prime minister, is pushing "very hard" for Russia to be ejected from the Swift international payments system, a move that would deliver a heavy blow to the country's banks and its ability to trade beyond its borders.

However, Olaf Scholz, German chancellor, warned Johnson on Thursday that his country would not support such a dramatic move and neither would the EU, according to officials close to sanctions negotiations. A German official declined to comment, saying only that "all options are still on the table".

Johnson has faced criticism in the UK for deploying what critics described as "peashooter" sanctions in response to the first stage of Russian aggression in Ukraine; he is now trying to push western colleagues to deploy very tough reprisals.

Johnson was expected to push for international support for Russia to be cut out of the Swift system in a call with G7 leaders later on Thursday.

The US has so far suggested that it was too early to consider the move, while saying that no option was off the table.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
The reserve that Russia built is very much contingent on the type of sanctions there will be. Most of it is in FOREX, the rest is in gold and it's not that straight forward to be used. Plus with the already agreed sanctions on the refinancing of the Russian debt they will need to use a good part of that reserve for this.

Now China. The fact that China can compensate for sanctions is heavily overblown. For example the famous new contract they just signed for gas only covers the equivalent of the gas production bought by Germany from Russia and the total EU contracts are around 4 times that value per year. There are full industries where China doesn't have the need or the resources needed for trade. So no, no amount of trade with China can compensate for EU, US, Canada and probably also other countries. You're being fooled by Russian propaganda points.

Not being fooled by any Russian propaganda lol. Simply trying to understand what there is to gain here for Putin, because if what you say is accurate, the deck is fully stacked against Putin, but he pressed on regardless.

Regarding the gas deal, I guess it's time will tell who can hold out longer, for example can Germany sustain long term energy cost increases before they fold? Sanctions don't just hurt Russia or China, everyone involved suffers.

I'm pretty sure quality of life for normal people in Russia has been suffering severely under sanctions to the point of widespread dissent. If that gets even worse, it will absolutely have ramifications for Putin and the current government.

In response to both of you, Putin had to have understood all these risks, but yet still pursued this. From what I'm understanding from your points, Putin is in a lose lose position taking Ukraine, economically, and social unrest risk of being over thrown. So again why?

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Paywalled, have to summarize. Is this is coming from politicians?

Johnson has faced criticism in the UK for deploying what critics described as "peashooter" sanctions in response to the first stage of Russian aggression in Ukraine; he is now trying to push western colleagues to deploy very tough reprisals. "The PM is very keen on this — he's pushing it very hard," said one British official, referring to his efforts to eject Russia from Swift. Johnson also raised the idea at a meeting with City of London executives on Wednesday.

But Downing Street conceded that any move regarding Swift could only be done with international agreement, a position shared by the Biden administration. "We have to do it together," the British official said.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
After conquering Ukraine would Putin be actually dumb enough to invade a member of NATO?
Almost certainly not so long as the US remains committed to defending all NATO countries - as a confrontation between Russia and the US means the world ends, and Putin isn't that stupid.

The concern, however, is if Trump gets reelected and gives Putin a blank check to invade, say, Poland.