• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Keep your eyes open:

www.bellingcat.com

Attack on Ukrainian Government Websites Linked to GRU Hackers - bellingcat

An attack on Ukrainian Government institutions and their websites has been linked to Russian GRU hackers, an investigation by Bellingcat and The Insider has found.

2HMGZrO.png

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I guess the Russian plan will be to kill or capture the Ukrainian government as quickly as possible. Then install a puppet leadership that will immediately sign a pre written agreement with Russia. After that anyone still fighting or protesting will be labeled "anti-government Nazi terrorists".

Brutal and even more bloody days ahead.

The thing is, without Russian forces occupying the country in numbers it'll be like Maidan 2.0, except I suspect the revolutionaries will be less charitable.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I know this is an English speaking forum, but that's how we spell Kyiv in Portuguese and probably that's how it's spelled in other languages, so maybe we shouldn't go hard on people spelling it differently?

it's basically old imperial Russia and Soviet speak. let's try to avoid it as much as we can
en.m.wikipedia.org

KyivNotKiev - Wikipedia

The organization intends to internationally assert a Ukrainian identity and help shed international perceptions of linguistic relics of Soviet and imperial Russia by promoting the exclusive use of Ukrainian-language transliterations for Ukrainian place names

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Folks pretending sanctions will accomplish anything, as if Putin didn't expect heavy sanctions, hasn't planned stock piling reserves, or that Russia hasn't been surviving with sanctions for some time now. One deal away with the CCP for gas and oil, and the economy stays afloat long term.

So when is the Chinese Navy making a move on Taiwan?

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
Yeah. Looks like Putin is not actually getting any pushback from Ukraine people? I thought maybe Putin would stop and not take the whole country. Guess he's gonna go for the whole thing?
Ukraine doesn't have a natural border, like a mountain, with Russia, just a line in an open field.

Open fields are kinda hard to fortify and easy to move over.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that hasn't been discussed but this could cause a humanitarian crisis that dwarfs Syria. Europe is going to want to come down hard because they are not going to be able to handle the massive influx of refugees

Honestly I'm not sure they can handle a war with Russia either.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Folks pretending sanctions will accomplish anything, as if Putin didn't expect heavy sanctions, hasn't planned stock piling reserves, or that Russia hasn't been surviving with sanctions for some time now. One deal away with the CCP for gas and oil, and the economy stays afloat long term.

Nothing from what you wrote here is valid.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

Not until next CCP congress later in the year when Xi is going to get his 3rd (and more ) term.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
The thing is, without Russian forces occupying the country in numbers it'll be like Maidan 2.0, except I suspect the revolutionaries will be less charitable.

Well Putin's spokesman Peskov today said that they plan to "purge" their enemies. I expect to see mass arrests and killings to strike terror into the population.

Hope I am wrong but I think there are horrific days ahead.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Ukrainian National Guard reporting that the captured airport near Kyiv was destroyed by Ukrainian artillery to prevent the enemy from establishing a land bridge,

Tank columns trying to capture Sumy and Chernihiv in the NE, but there's a lot of the western anti-armor weapons there, so they're taking heavy losses.

Unclear what's happening in Kherson.

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is an English speaking forum, but that's how we spell Kyiv in Portuguese and probably that's how it's spelled in other languages, so maybe we shouldn't go hard on people spelling it differently?

For sure. Kyiv is the accepted English transliteration, but there will be different spellings in different languages, especially since the base alphabets are going to be different. For example, in French Путин is transliterated as Poutine, not Putin.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I have this horrible feeling that this is going to be wrapped up in a week or less and the global response is more or less going to be a shrug. Some nominal sanctions, some nominal aid, and back to "normal"

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Former German chancellor Gerhard Schröder has commented on the situation on LinkedIn. He does not resign form his Gazprom lobbying position. Calls for deescalation, says there were multiple mistakes on all sides, but war is not the solution and unjustified. This is a weak statement as expected.

E661-E789-5-F07-43-D5-9105-5-C8861683-F69.jpg

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017

How capable is the Chinese military even? I doubt they could pull off an invasion, and then there's also the uncertainty about the US getting involved, which would let an attack end in disaster. They're also way more concerned about their economy.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I have this horrible feeling that this is going to be wrapped up in a week or less and the global response is more or less going to be a shrug. Some nominal sanctions, some nominal aid, and back to "normal"
As noted Ukraine's plan from the start seems to have been insurgency. If that is the case things should not wrap up in that time

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Former German chancellor Gerhard Schröder has commented on the situation on LinkedIn. He does not resign form his Gazprom lobbying position. Calls for deescalation, says there were multiple mistakes on all sides, but war is not the solution and unjustified. This is a weak statement.

Lets be honest here, did you really expect something better from him...?

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Just saw a Russian helicopter up close laying in an open field on youtube. Looks like the ones flying in other videos. Tons of "battle damage". Don't know what happened to the crew, no-one in it, but it's pretty shot up/damaged.

Hope Russia takes huge losses in every way from this.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
Former German chancellor Gerhard Schröder has commented on the situation on LinkedIn. He does not resign form his Gazprom lobbying position. Calls for deescalation, says there were multiple mistakes on all sides, but war is not the solution and unjustified. This is a weak statement.

guy should be expelled from germany, biggest traitor the german left has ever seen

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020

He is also calling to not cut all ties with russia, especially his money transfers from Gazprom I suppose. Fuck this asshole.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Former German chancellor Gerhard Schröder has commented on the situation on LinkedIn. He does not resign form his Gazprom lobbying position. Calls for deescalation, says there were multiple mistakes on all sides, but war is not the solution and unjustified. This is a weak statement as expected.

I hate this man so goddamm much.

Oct 25, 2017
How capable is the Chinese military even? I doubt they could pull off an invasion, and then there's also the uncertainty about the US getting involved, which would let an attack end in disaster. They're also way more concerned about their economy.
They are advancing technologically militarily at an unprecedented clip. No nation will be able to oppose them in 5-10 years.