• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
https://apnews.com/article/ap-top-n...309c/gallery/49353553e3f24ebfa2d19ddfb9584c14
MOSCOW (AP) — Chanting slogans against President Vladimir Putin, tens of thousands took to the streets Sunday across Russia to demand the release of jailed opposition leader Alexei Navalny, keeping up nationwide protests that have rattled the Kremlin. More than 4,000 people were detained by police, according to a monitoring group, and some were beaten.

Russian authorities mounted a massive effort to stem the tide of demonstrations after tens of thousands rallied across the country last weekend in the largest, most widespread show of discontent that Russia has seen in years. Yet, despite threats of jail terms, warnings to social media groups and tight police cordons, the protests again engulfed cities across Russia's 11 time zones on Sunday.

The 44-year-old Navalny, an anti-corruption investigator who is Putin's best-known critic, was arrested on Jan.17 upon returning from Germany, where he spent five months recovering from nerve-agent poisoning that he blames on the Kremlin. Russian authorities have rejected the accusations. He was arrested for allegedly violating his parole conditions by not reporting for meetings with law enforcement when he was recuperating in Germany.

The United States urged Russia to release Navalny and criticized the crackdown on protests.

"The U.S. condemns the persistent use of harsh tactics against peaceful protesters and journalists by Russian authorities for a second week straight," U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Twitter.

The Russian Foreign Ministry rejected Blinken's call as a "crude interference in Russia's internal affairs" and accused Washington of trying to destabilize the situation in the country by backing the protests.

On Sunday, police detained more than 4,100 people at protests in cities nationwide, according to OVD-Info, a group that monitors political arrests. Those arrests followed some 4,000 detentions at demonstrations on Jan. 23 in more than 100 Russian cities.

In Moscow, authorities introduced unprecedented security measures in the city center, closing subway stations near the Kremlin, cutting bus traffic and ordering restaurants and stores to stay closed.

Navalny's team initially called for Sunday's protest to be held on Moscow's Lubyanka Square, home to the main headquarters of the Federal Security Service, which Navalny claims was responsible for his poisoning. Facing police cordons around the square, the protest then shifted to other central squares and streets.

Police were randomly picking up people and putting them into police buses, but thousands of protesters marched across the city center for hours, chanting "Putin, resign!" and Putin, thief!" — a reference to an opulent Black Sea estate reportedly built for the Russian leader that was featured in a widely popular video released by Navalny's team.

"I'm not afraid, because we are the majority," said Leonid Martynov, who took part in the protest. "We mustn't be scared by clubs because the truth is on our side."

At one point, crowds of demonstrators walked toward the Matrosskaya Tishina prison where Navalny is being held. They were met by phalanxes of riot police who pushed the march back and chased protesters through courtyards, detaining scores and beating some with clubs. Still, demonstrators continued to march around the Russian capital, zigzagging around police cordons.

More than 1,200 people were detained in Moscow, including Navalny's wife, Yulia. "If we keep silent, they will come after any of us tomorrow," she said on Instagram before turning out to protest.

Several thousand people marched across Russia's second-largest city of St. Petersburg, chanting "Down with the czar!" and occasional scuffles erupted as some demonstrators pushed back police who tried to make detentions. Nearly 900 were arrested.

Some of the biggest rallies were held in Novosibirsk and Krasnoyarsk in eastern Siberia and Yekaterinburg in the Urals.

"I do not want my grandchildren to live in such a country," said 55-year-old Vyacheslav Vorobyov, who turned out for a rally in Yekaterinburg. "I want them to live in a free country."

apnews.com

Over 5,100 arrested at pro-Navalny protests across Russia

MOSCOW (AP) — Chanting slogans against President Vladimir Putin, tens of thousands took to the streets Sunday across Russia to demand the release of jailed opposition leader Alexei Navalny, keeping up nationwide protests that have rattled the Kremlin.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): whataboutism, thread derail
The fucking irony of the US criticising a crackdown on protestors.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing concerns around police brutality and authoritarian regimes. Prior severe bans for sexism and ableism.
4000 arrests, sure. Not a whole lot of violence besides, though. Certainly not for lack of trying on all the provocators' parts.

They seem to be doing a better job at keeping the peace and maintaining order than the US does.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
4000 arrests, sure. Not a whole lot of violence besides, though. Certainly not for lack of trying on all the provocators' parts.

They seem to be doing a better job at keeping the peace and maintaining order than the US does.
Shame about the oppression, but hey they make the trains run on time.

Wtf is this thread

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Really impressed by the Russian people with the response to navalny's arrest. This doesn't seem to be going away any time soon, which was the point.
Are you referring to the protestors as provocators? That's a take.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Shame about the oppression, but hey they make the trains run on time.

Wtf is this thread
The trains don't even matter here. They arrested a lot of protesters, but so far as I can see haven't actually shot anybody, haven't run anyone over with a car, slammed them into a wall with a water cannon, etc.

Are you referring to the protestors as provocators? That's a take.
No, protesters are mostly just the people the provocators rounded up and got into doing things for them. The arrests are mostly aimed at the provocators, not protesters, because they're the root cause, doing what they do. Various little social media campaigns to incite youth into action, among other things. Doxxing law enforcers. Just raising the tensions by any means necessary.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
The trains don't even matter here. They arrested a lot of protesters, but so far as I can see haven't actually shot anybody, haven't run anyone over with a car, slammed them into a wall with a water cannon, etc.

No, protesters are mostly just the people the provocators rounded up and got into doing things for them. The arrests are mostly aimed at the provocators, not protesters, because they're the root cause, doing what they do. Various little social media campaigns to incite youth into action, among other things. Doxxing law enforcers. Just raising the tensions by any means necessary.

Woah

Vector

Feb 28, 2018

Whoever said there's a defense force for anything on ERA was absolutely right.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Et tu, Putin?

Honestly, if you don't see the authoritarian oppression in arresting 4000 protestors, it's going to be hard to engage in discussion. Do you also not believe in the motive behind the protests?

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

Putin would be proud.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
????????
Firstly, they have arrested lots of random people. People who weren't even screaming any slogans. Nor were those people provoking anyone. Are you saying that there were 4k+ "provocateurs"? You're insane.
Secondly, what are those "social media campaigns to incite youth into action". Nothing the organizers of the protest did was aimed specifically at youth (although kremlin propaganda wants you to believe that most of the protesters are "misguided kids").
Lastly, there was a lot of unnecessary violence towards peaceful protesters. Actually, any violence is unnecessary as long as protests are peaceful. You can find plenty of videos on Twitter where cops are pretty violent.

Important Threadmark - Please Review

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017

Ladies and gentlemen, i present to you "not a whole lot of violence", starring cops

tasing detainee for fun

beating up a group of women

beating and tasing a reporter lying on the ground

not just a reporter

Resetera has a media limit, but there are plenty of those.

The arrests are mostly aimed at the provocators, not protesters, because they're the root cause, doing what they do. Various little social media campaigns to incite youth into action, among other things. Doxxing law enforcers. Just raising the tensions by any means necessary.
1. Basically every eyewitness from protests says that cops just take random people and throw them into police buses.
2. Media campaign "aimed at youth" is literally a Kremlin's propaganda point. There is no evidence that Navalny or his supporters explicitly addressed youth. Social data shows that protesters core are 25+ years old people.

Also, lmao at this thread. First few replies and we've already burned through whataboutism and think of the children.

Last edited:

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Seems like putin's got a problem on his hand. Folks are protesting in the snow. That's pretty much a fuck it point. That's a lot of people to say fell out of windows as well. Will only embolden more.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017

I guess locking up people who protest against an authoritarian who jails and/or murders political opposition is considered maintaining order now.

🤡

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
How many will suffer defenestration?

I think that what Putin and Russian government is doing is disgusting, but thanks for putting words in my mouth.

Making the first post of the thread a "Whataboutism" instead of y'know, engaging with the actual content, was a poor move.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Ladies and gentlemen, i present to you "not a whole lot of violence", starring cops

tasing detainee for fun

not just a reporter

1. Basically every eyewitness from protests says that cops just take random people and throw them into police buses.
2. Media campaign "aimed at youth" is literally a Kremlin's propaganda point. There is no evidence that Navalny or his supporters explicitly addressed youth. Social data shows that protesters core are 25+ years old people.

Also, lmao at this thread. First few replies and we've already burned through whataboutism and think of the children.

.Detective. This post needs to be threadmarked.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Just to be clear - do you think it's OK Putin tried to have Navalny killed?
Do you think the protestors have reasons to be upset at the state of their government?
Do you think that Putin is not stealing untold wealth from the Russians while they languish with an absolutely pathetic life expectancy that lags behind most of the world?

Also, did you see the video of them kicking an old woman in the stomach simply for asking why they were arresting someone? No one is defending US police, but if you don't think that the Russian state machinery doesn't abuse the hell out of citizens you are being very naive.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017

tasing detainee for fun

not just a reporter

I love recites. But really you shouldn't even need them, when 4000 people are arrested like this, it should be obvious that there were violations of rights.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know much about what's going on here but I heard this guy was some alt right dude. Is that true? Is this an example of everyone being wrong?
Yeah I think navalny has major problems but this is about the Russian fight against authoritarianism and mass arrests of Russian people protesting it, so we don't need to whatabout navalny, the US etc etc.

0aabgH.jpg

Even Batman got arrested, fuck those guys. Jokes aside, Russian cops are the worst and the Government is a bunch of thieves and hypocrites.

Dbltap

Oct 31, 2017
Woodinville, WA
I'm really surprised that Navalny is still alive. I thought that once he was in custody he would just kind of disappear after a few quiet month's.

Anyone that hasn't seen the video that was posted, definitely needs to watch it.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Russian government have THOUSANDS of shills and sheep online spreading propaganda on hundreds of sites. They helped Trump get elected. I wouldn't be surprised at all if ERA had a few of them. Putin is among the most corrupt dictators in history and needs to be stopped. I'm really happy for the Russian people standing up to him and their corrupt government.

Dec 4, 2017
I'm really surprised that Navalny is still alive. I thought that once he was in custody he would just kind of disappear after a few quiet month's.

Anyone that hasn't seen the video that was posted, definitely needs to watch it.
He posted a message stating that he has no intention to commit suicide. Reading between the lines, he basically said that, if he dies in arrest, it would have been an assassination.

Sauronych

Jan 29, 2018
Russian here, just wanted to confirm that Sean Mirrsen has no fucking clue what he's talking about. The arrests are random and brutal. The only "provocators" are people hired by the government to infiltrate the crowd and "attack" cops. They then show the footage on TV as proof of the protesters being violent. The "inciting youth" narrative is a complete invention of state propaganda.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Look, guys! The protesters are aggressive! This video isn't staged at all, guys. Looks very real, right? 🤦‍♂️

Meanwhile, an update on the number of arrested people: it's more than 5,000 now.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
I don't know much about what's going on here but I heard this guy was some alt right dude. Is that true? Is this an example of everyone being wrong?
He was in the past, but now not so much. It's important to understand that their whole society has shifted right.
Here is my assessment: https://www.resetera.com/threads/na...utins-kleptocracy.364916/page-2#post-56818829
Russian here, just wanted to confirm that Sean Mirrsen has no fucking clue what he's talking about. The arrests are random and brutal. The only "provocators" are people hired by the government to infiltrate the crowd and "attack" cops. They then show the footage on TV as proof of the protesters being violent. The "inciting youth" narrative is a complete invention of state propaganda.

Nvm. It's already on the news, see above.