• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Hi jett, do you like Master and Commander? Talk to us about it a little bit.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Still one of the best home video sound mixes of all time.
Just got a new Sonos arc and surrounds. Maybe I'll put this on tomorrow to put it through it's paces. I was really impressed with the Social Network mix when I watched that the other day. It is the total antithesis to Tenet in that it has low mixed dialogue but it is still perfectly easy to hear. Mix on Tenet was so bad.

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got a new Sonos arc and surrounds. Maybe I'll put this on tomorrow to put it through it's paces. I was really impressed with the Social Network mix when I watched that the other day. It is the total antithesis to Tenet in that it has low mixed dialogue but it is still perfectly easy to hear. Mix on Tenet was so bad.
never trust nolan with a sound mix

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Talk about a freezing cold take from that guy. Peter Weir is an all time great director and Master & Commander is fantastic.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I need to rewatch this movie. Don't remember much other than cutting the kids limb off.

Russell Crowe looks like he's John Goodman's stunt double.

TopherDL

Oct 25, 2017
It's a really good movie y'all. Seriously, go watch it if you haven't. Especially if you have a good setup.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's an amazing movie for sure

jiggyfresh

Oct 27, 2017
A masterpiece of filmmaking. I've always been a little surprised that Weir never ascended and just sort of disappeared after his late 80s to early 00s run.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
it's a phenomenal movie and it's a damn shame we never got any more adaptations of the series.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
Saying a movie put you to sleep isn't exactly the big insult people think it is. I've had countless number of things I like (games books movies) start to put me to sleep because I'm just friggin tired man.

Oct 25, 2017
While it was a great movie I think the criticism at the time was it had a lot of actual plots crammed into the one (well written, paced and acted) plot.

Deleted member 82064

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Great movie and I always hoped they would have made more. I think it's time for a rewatch. I think it's been more then a decade since I last saw this movie.

EQLibriM

Oct 27, 2017
definetely a move thats in my top 10 movies of all time

even if you dont watch it, watch this scene

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First 10 minutes are fucking great, as is the rest of the movie. Fuck this Twitter rando.

4u4yrv.jpg

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
That take is absolutely awful, the movie is amazing. Master and Commander would have dominated the Oscars that year if it's cake wasn't eaten by ROTK.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
This just makes me want to rewatch it. It's been a few years now but I remember very much enjoying it and wishing there were sequels. Can't say I agree with that take at all personally.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I had read some of Patrick O'Brian's M&C novels but not the Far Side of the World, which is the basis of this movie, and I was so much hyped for this brilliant film, it didn't disappoint.

Even the deleted scenes were great, this picture showed the life of Napoleonic sailors with extreme accuracy.

I can't understand how can this movie can be disliked but I guess one person's garbage is another one's treasure.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The lesser of two weevils for this guy would be to delete his Twitter account and retire from posting in disgrace.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Always saw the poster and thought meh, boring. When i finally saw it then (really late) i was shocked how good it was. Outstanding movie.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I have never seen Master and Commander. I remember watching the trailers for it before it released thinking "That looks cool" but I never got to see it during it's cinema run and just never got round to it.

Maybe I should remedy that.

Oct 31, 2017
It's a good adaptation that really gets the spirit of the books. Loads of nods to the original stories, and its fun to pick up which book entire scenes come from, like the trick with the raft and the stern lights.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Have to say I missed it back in the day and recently decided to watch it when it showed up on Netflix. I am no youngster at 36 and The GF and me still tapped out at the 40 minute mark. We were pretty bored.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm I got the feeling the movie is more about being pissed that you were bested by a competitor than service to the empire.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wait, is that Ian McNabb of 80s Liverpool band The Icicle Works?!?
Pretty sure it is. Looks like him. I like their stuff but damn that's a bad take from McNabb!

Each time their own I guess but if you can't appreciate a glass of fine wine like M&C then your taste in wine itself looks suspect.