• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I was actually a big fan of Brand when he got into covering politics in the run up to the Milliband campaign. He said a lot of sensible things and was really good at calling out the establishment and right wing portion of our country. He of course quit afterwards for a while and when he came back it was all about spirituality and I stopped watching.

To see how far he has gone now is really fucking sad but at the same time, not that surprising considering his trajectory. Just another grifter trying to get money and going down the alt right pipeline route.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
wasn't "Russiagate" more of a center-left/liberal thing? doesn't seem out of pocket for someone who might consider themselves "far-left" to be critical of it, right? if you ventured to some of the more far-left corners of the internet (or this forum) i think you might see a lot of similar takes.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I used to watch Brand a lot a decade or so ago. He was definitely far to the left then, and it was my drifting leftward that made me even watch him. He was definitely active around the time of OWS and Obama's reelection campaign.

I don't know what he's on about now, but the idea of there being a demographic on the left buying into pseudoscience isn't surprising. The more hippy style left.

OP
OP
Tabaxi

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
There are people on the left skeptical of the vaccine as well. They just don't want to get dogpiled.

A lot of these spiritual leftist hippy types believe in a conspiracy or two.

I don't think that's entirely true anymore. During the 2000s to the 2010s, the anti-vaccination movement was largely on the left. But since the mid-2010s those same spiritualist, new age, "all natural" woo spaces have increasingly been taken over by the far-right. There are leftist people who are skeptical of vaccines, but those people are being actively targeted and converted by the right.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
"Conspiracy nut = right wing" is a very US-centric view. Brand is not right wing; he's a dipshit. He's beloved by a wide swathe of the stupidest people on the left.

Brand is British, and the mainstream right in Britain are pro-vaccines.

Status
Not open for further replies.