• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

celebi23

Oct 26, 2017
I don't wish cancer on anyone but, at the same time:
giphy.gif

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
So, mods. What's the guidelines here?

Are we allowed to cheer the demise of evil people? Sometimes it's very hard to know on Era.

Oct 25, 2017
So, mods. What's the guidelines here?

Are we allowed to cheer the demise of evil people? Sometimes it's very hard to know on Era.

Like, maybe I'd get whiny posts like this if the person who died or was dying had some redeeming qualities. Rush Limbaugh's entire life mission has been to stoke hatred purely for money. I can't think of a single redeeming quality here.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In an article quoted by the NY Daily News, Limbaugh has previously said on his show, "Firsthand smoke takes 50 years to kill people, if it does," he said. "Not everybody that smokes gets cancer. Now, it's true that everybody who smokes dies, but so does everyone who eats carrots."

Ok, Boomer.

He said he started smoking when he was ~16 i think. He's now late 60s. He was right on the money that it takes 50 years to kill!

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Rush on nicotine:

Rush on the genocide of American Indians:

Rush on Michael J Fox having parkinsons disease:

Rush on African Americans voting:

Rush on the NFL:

Rush on global warming:

Rush on global warming 2:

Rush on global warming 3:

Rush on feeding poor children in public school:

Rush on a 13 year old girl:

Rush on excercise:

Rush on feminism:

Rush on LGBT:

Thank you for these. I'm gonna drip feed them into my Facebook timeline.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Like, maybe I'd get whiny posts like this if the person who died or was dying had some redeeming qualities. Rush Limbaugh's entire life mission has been to stoke hatred purely for money. I can't think of a single redeeming quality here.

Ehr, yes we are in complete agreement. I think Limbaugh is an utter shithead and the world will be a better place without him. I was calling out the mods being very inconsistent regarding when we can and can not say we hope someone burns in hell.

Cancer is a terrible disease but to say "you should not wish it on anyone" is utter hipocricy. Would I wish it on Hitler? Of course! On Trump? Anything to get him to STOP. On hateful people who actively try to promote hate, racism and a medieval worldview? Absolutely!

All life is sacred? Well... sort of. But there comes a time when some definetely are wasted and the continuation thereof is detrimental to a lot of other people's lives.

Dec 13, 2018
Rush did more harm than good with his time on earth. Hopefully few people loved him and his death can be a good thing for everyone. sad for his family/friends, glad he won't spread any more pain...

I will say it one last time:

IT IS NEVER OK TO CELEBRATE CANCER. YOU DON'T HAVE TO SYMPATHIZE WITH OR FEEL BAD FOR RUSH. HE IS NOT A GOOD PERSON, BUT IT IS NEVER EVER OK TO CELEBRATE CANCER OR TO WISH THE WORST TOWARDS A CANCER VICTIM LIKE MANY POSTS IN THIS THREAD HAVE. NO ONE HERE GET TO DECIDE WHO HAS AND HASN'T "EARNED" CANCER. NO ONE HERE GET TO SAY WHO DESERVES TO SUFFER. THAT IS GROSS. THERE IS NO EXCEPTION. NO ONE DESERVES CANCER. CANCER DESERVES NO ONE. THERE IS NO OTHER ACCEPTABLE OPINION.

And that is my last post. I am very disappointed in this community. It breaks my heart to see the mod staff downplay such garbage as "childish venting." I don't know why I came into this thread. I don't care about Rush, and I sort of knew what the response was going to be. I guess I just wanted to be proven wrong. How foolish of me. I'm sort of upset that I have to even write this. The last thing I would ever want to do is stick up for Rush Limbaugh of all people, but here I am.

I hope none of you ever have to experience such a terrible thing. Not directly. Not indirectly. For those of you who are, you have my thoughts and prayers for whatever that's worth. I hope you and your loved ones all find happiness and good health. No one deserves to go through that.
If you can point out one person in this thread who's saying "fuck yeah, the medical concept of cancer is my bias", then sure, I'll cosign to your all caps rant.

Oct 25, 2017
Ehr, yes we are in complete agreement. I think Limbaugh is an utter shithead and the world will be a better place without him. I was calling out the mods being very inconsistent regarding when we can and can not say we hope someone burns in hell.

Cancer is a terrible disease but to say "you should not wish it on anyone" is utter hipocricy. Would I wish it on Hitler? Of course! On Trump? Anything to get him to STOP. On hateful people who actively try to promote hate, racism and a medieval worldview? Absolutely!

All life is sacred? Well... sort of. But there comes a time when some definetely are wasted and the continuation thereof is detrimental to a lot of other people's lives.

They might clamp down on it eventually, but they usually read the room a bit in these situations and let people vent their frustrations, which is probably good. Think of it as more unofficially stretching the rule. At least that's how I see it.

Oct 25, 2017
I will say it one last time:

IT IS NEVER OK TO CELEBRATE CANCER. YOU DON'T HAVE TO SYMPATHIZE WITH OR FEEL BAD FOR RUSH. HE IS NOT A GOOD PERSON, BUT IT IS NEVER EVER OK TO CELEBRATE CANCER OR TO WISH THE WORST TOWARDS A CANCER VICTIM LIKE MANY POSTS IN THIS THREAD HAVE. NO ONE HERE GET TO DECIDE WHO HAS AND HASN'T "EARNED" CANCER. NO ONE HERE GET TO SAY WHO DESERVES TO SUFFER. THAT IS GROSS. THERE IS NO EXCEPTION. NO ONE DESERVES CANCER. CANCER DESERVES NO ONE. THERE IS NO OTHER ACCEPTABLE OPINION.

And that is my last post. I am very disappointed in this community. It breaks my heart to see the mod staff downplay such garbage as "childish venting." I don't know why I came into this thread. I don't care about Rush, and I sort of knew what the response was going to be. I guess I just wanted to be proven wrong. How foolish of me. I'm sort of upset that I have to even write this. The last thing I would ever want to do is stick up for Rush Limbaugh of all people, but here I am.

I hope none of you ever have to experience such a terrible thing. Not directly. Not indirectly. For those of you who are, you have my thoughts and prayers for whatever that's worth. I hope you and your loved ones all find happiness and good health. No one deserves to go through that.

I have experienced cancer both extremely closely (my grandfather and 23 year old sister) and at a distance. I won't celebrate cancer, but I will absolutely celebrate the day Rush is gone, no matter how he goes.

I will not hold my tongue or fake sympathy for a monster.

Oct 27, 2017
He's wealthy, so he'll continue to shit on everyone else's right to healthcare while he gets the best treatment he can find.

I feel no sympathy for him. I believe in karma.

When he had his heart scare in Hawaii, he publicly thanked the medical staff and hospital system, until he realized the hospital system in Hawaii ran counter to his brand. Then he attacked them through his show. I don't expect him to change.

My wife just found out about his diagnosis, she asked "Is it bad that I have no sympathy for him?" I replied "No."

But this isn't karma. It's possibly but not definitely the result of a sustained series of physiological behaviors. Since there are some addictive behaviors involved, there is likely some untreated mental health concerns in the mix that may complicate the effectiveness or ability to receive treatments, possibly rendering the he-might-have-allowed-advances point moot.

How this takes its course through his body, or leaves him financially, is also not karma. It would have to be karma for everyone else who experiences this for that to be true.

Instead it is a reminder of the physiological and social inequities of life, and those who were on the receiving end of the effects of the rhetoric, and the disease. Any actual comeuppance would have to come in the form of him and his ilk seeing his legacy and work dismantled and reversed, making sure his influence no longer holds people back.

If I was so sure that this process was to begin upon this diagnosis, I would be smiling now too. But being too familiar with the possibility space between now and whatever marks the end of his life, I'm confident in saying we're not there yet.

What is helping is when people in this thread are discussing and shining a light on just how shitty his legacy is. This gives me feelings of relief. Celebrating the medical and medical-system experience to come for Limbaugh, as karma or god's justice, does not. It was not karma or god's justice for our friends and loved ones. Hopefully people can understand this.

dmann

Oct 27, 2017
5-year survival rate for lung cancer is in the low 21%. Rush is not going to make it long if his cancer is at an advanced stage; typically the case for most people since they are asymptomatic. I wouldn't wish lung cancer on anyone. I've seen firsthand the pain and suffering that one goes thru as they go through treatment.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
As a doctor I've seen how much pain and suffering late-stage cancer causes. I can't wish that on anyone.

Also, Rush Limbaugh is a horrible, horrible person.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
This news is making me feel things, but it's probably best for me not to post them.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
If there is any lesson to learn from this, it's that life is short and it should be sacred. Spend the time you have here trying to uplift others and spread kindness. Use your talents and your platform to educate instead of spewing hatred and vitriol. Don't leave this place with regrets and worse off than when you entered.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Limbaugh dismisses the concept of consent in sexual relations. He views consent as "the magic key to the left."[96] In 2014, Limbaugh criticized a policy at Ohio State University encouraging students to obtain verbal consent, saying "How many of you guys . . . have learned that 'no' means 'yes' if you know how to spot it?" The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee used these statements to advocate a boycott of Limbaugh's show and advertisers, claiming that the statements were tantamount to an endorsement of sexual assault. Limbaugh denied this, and his spokesman Brian Glicklick and lawyer Patricia Glaser threatened a defamation lawsuit against the DCCC .[97]

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Couldn't have happened to a better talk radio demagogue.

I don't want him to suffer though. Cancer is messed up.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
With all the doom and gloom going on in the world, sometimes it's good to have feel good stories such as this to lighten the mood.