• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
fuck, this hurts :(

Dude was a legend, so glad I got to see them as many times as I did. He was still killing it even on their last tour

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Legend! Listened to Tom Sawyer as it was the fastest thing I could play on Spotify.

Any recommendations to really absorb Neal's best?

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Go watch Beyond the Lighted Stage. It's on Neflix now. A great Rush documentary.

"We needed a drummer....."

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Summer's going fast
Nights growing colder
Children growing up
Old friends growing older

Freeze this moment
A little bit longer
Make each sensation
A little bit stronger

RIP Neil.

Eddman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I was just watching a Rush video a few hours ago on Youtube :(

Rest in peace. They were one of those rare cases when a band can do both complex-prog stuff and radio friendly hits while appealing to both audiences

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
I was holding out hope for a small reunion project (not tour). This is a real bummer, one of my favorites.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A massive, massive loss. Likely the greatest rock drummer in history. At the very least, the most influential. I listen to mainly punk and metal and the drummers of all my favourite bands list Neil as their biggest influence.

Deleted member 25580

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
RIP to an influential musician, certainly one of the best modern drummer ever. I know so many people who were inspired by his music.

2112 is a hell of an album, you ought to listen to it once in your lifetime.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Rush was more than just the soundtrack to my formative years. They are as much a part of who I am as anything else. Fuck. This one really really hurts.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to forever regret that I never made it to a Rush show. For some reason I'd unconsciously assumed they'd already stopped touring, and the news that they were done touring was what clued me in that they previously hadn't stopped yet. Oof.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A fucking legend in every right.

I'm glad I got to see them on the Snakes and Arrows tour in VA Beach. It was a hell of a show, and Peart's insane solos were the highlight. I've played every Rush song added to Rock Band on drums dozens of times, and still find myself tapping out his beats when they come on a playlist in the car. I'm not a drummer even as a hobby, but his beats are part of me and always will be.

He will be missed. Music lost one of their greatest artists today. Hope his family is doing well.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I'm going to forever regret that I never made it to a Rush show. For some reason I'd unconsciously assumed they'd already stopped touring, and the news that they were done touring was what clued me in that they previously hadn't stopped yet. Oof.

Exactly the same.

Tragic day, a legend has passed away.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
One of the greatest of all time. He was more than just a drummer but an actual writer, too. His lyrics were unrivaled. They were sophisticated, cool, and interesting in every Rush song.

Was going to see them on their last tour but my father didn't want to go. Ouch.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, damn. I just heard on GDQ during a donation comment, then saw this thread. Definitely one of if not the best drummers gone.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
What the fuck?! This is shit news. Quite simply one of the greatest drummers of all time. He was a huge influence on me picking up the sticks. RIP.

Nov 29, 2018
Just heard the news.... I'm in total disbelief...
I had no idea he had cancer...
R. I. P Neil... You will be missed.
I'm gonna have to watch their latest doc tonight in memory.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I'm shattered. :(

Neil Peart is only the second celebrity death to really affect me. The first one was Jim Henson.

I saw Rush in 1993 on the Counterparts tour in Rochester, NY. I went with a few buddies from college. They blew our ears out with an absolutely incredible show. They had a massive array of surround speakers hanging from the center of the venue that were there seemingly solely to eliminate any shred of hearing we had left with a piercing Aimee Mann singing three words, "Time Stand Still." It was awesome. I saw two inflatable rabbits have a gunfight. I heard incredibly technically complex and melodic music played flawlessly. And I saw three of the best musicians in the known universe, in their prime (which lasted for 40+ years), absolutely killing it.

When we left, I backed into a car in the parking garage that was also backing out. It broke my tail light. Neither of us cared, we just saw Rush! We didn't want to head back to the dorm yet. Too much energy! So much air drumming in the car! At the behest of my friend Doug's older brother, our group of engineering geek Rush fans ended up sitting awkwardly at a strip club.

It was a good night.

Thank you, Neil.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
I am crushed over this. Crushed! He was the single biggest influence of my life. I would not be drumming. I would never joined a band. I simply would not have the love affair I have with music had it not been from him.

I remember way back when I barely knew anything about the band and Tom Sawyer was getting a lot of airplay. One day I decided to pick up Moving Pictures since my friends would not shut up about it. Then it played. The song that would forever change my life and inspire me to pick up an instrument. That song was Red Barchetta. The drumming moved me so much that I went the next day and bought a 5 piece along with everything Rush had put out to that point. The rest is history and I give credit to the greatest drummer to ever pick up the sticks for pointing me the right direction.

RIP Neil. You were, you are, and always will be legend.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
Well, there goes my mood for the next few months. I am speechless, this will be a lot to process.

Neil Peart leaves a huge, irreplaceable hole in music. I loved so many bands since I started to listen to music seriously more than 20 years ago but Rush has always been there and no other band comes even close.

RIP Neil. Thank you so much.

Oct 25, 2017
I am heartbroken. Aside from his sheer technical skill as a drummer, Neil's lyrics are second to none.

His death- and the various events of the last twenty or so years of his life- make his final contribution to Rush's lexicon (The Garden) all the more poignant.

"The future disappears into memory
With only a moment in between
Forever dwells in that moment
Hope is what remains to be seen"

Feels like Neil wrote his own epitaph...

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Even though I'm not a big RUSH fan (far from it) it's impossible to ignore this man's talent and inspiration on all musicians alike for these past several decades. RIP to a legend.