• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Well Joe was clearly out of the loop with how the girls were doing after he left because he picked the weakest ones for his team lol.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Another fun episode, I know everyone keeps saying it but the energy of UK S2 vs US S13 is night and day.

As soon as Joe's team started their performance I knew who was going home. That outfit, I think Ru was right to have a go, and same goes for Tia's runway. The idea was there, but it still looked cheap and basic. Sad to see Veronica not there, but looking forward to her being on S3 I really like her.

Also just want to say for those who don't know Ian Masterson, who was behind the decks during the song recordings is a great producer, worked with Saint Etienne, Dannii Minogue, Bananarama, Kim Wilde etc, etc and behind the 90s dance remixers Trouser Enthusiasts. He was on the first series too but he never got a mentioned by Ru then either.

Last edited:

Redhood

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Anybody noticed that video quality this episode was a little weird? Like the colors were wrong or something.

Also I felt Joe did a much better job than Tia in that lipsync.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I know everyone keeps saying it but the energy of UK S2 vs US S13 is night and day.

That 2nd performance in the main challenge was so dire (as was Laurence)... I'm not sure how anyone could argue that this entire cast is amazing or anything like that. Maybe that's not what you're saying though?

To each their own, I suppose, but I think the biggest difference between the two shows is that the pacing is more laid back on UK, which allows for more "character" moments, at least outside of Untucked.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Tia did a great lip synch, she's hilarious.

I also laughed out loud when Tayce shouted 'there's a big fuckin chip in the corner, you can't miss it'

Was that Jessie Ware I spied on the panel next week? Queen-tier guest!

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody noticed that video quality this episode was a little weird? Like the colors were wrong or something.

I noticed it starting at one exact moment on the main stage, the camera cut to Ru and the colors were suddenly wayyyy off. The camera on the queens was fine, but every time it cut back to the panel it was pretty ugly. Only happened partway through too, I wonder if one of their cameras died during the shoot or something.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
This season is just so fucking insanely good my god

sister sister has GOT to go!!

Last edited:

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
I also cracked up at Ru's stone-faced expression whenever it cut away from Bananadrama.
I was glad Joe went home. Her facial expression shtick was starting to grate. Stick to Brighton peer, luv.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rupaul was so unnecessarily mad lmao when have they ever cared about the outfits during a performance. He was SO weird this episode, I know that they just finished S13 before this episode but wtf.

Let's give Bob a win in a $20 bodysuit from Amazon (in fact let's crown her) but fuck you for wearing H&M (let's forget about asos earlier in the series) during a challenge where singing and dancing was the focus lol.

also it's really funny that Joe's comment would be seen as endearing on any other British show but Rupaul was furious.

im pressed like a panini folks.
It's a great season and could be AS2 level, but the questionable judging and RuPaul/Michelle not getting British humour and drag is really bringing the season down. Ru going fully off at the queens for not spending all the money they don't have on custom couture designer outfits is everything I hate about modern Drag Race.

The only other time I can think of the performance outfits being having such a heavy weight in the judging was...last week's RPDR episode, where the outfits were suddenly more important than the disco challenge.
It's not quite at the level of Canada (where the judges ignore the challenges and only seem to care about the runways), but the challenge outfits are still a weird element of the challenge to suddenly hyperfocus on after years of ignoring it.

Like, if you're going to read Team Joe for not having cohesive looks, make sure that's a clear part of the challenge. Editing and all, but I thought it was clear that they didn't expect this to be the part they were judged on, so they just randomly picked looks off their rack that vaguely match.

I noticed it was a bit grainy and weirdly oversharpened, especially during wide shots. Either they got worse cameras or it could be a consequence of not being able to film as close as usual due to regs.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Like, if you're going to read Team Joe for not having cohesive looks, make sure that's a clear part of the challenge. Editing and all, but I thought it was clear that they didn't expect this to be the part they were judged on, so they just randomly picked looks off their rack that vaguely match.
In what group singing challenge like this are they ever not expected to have a cohesive look? You're in a group with a name all singing the same song, obviously a cohesive look will be part of it

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
I think this could well be the best drag race season since the days of All Stars 2/Season 9. It's just so much fun to watch and there's always a ton to digest in every episode. Not all the cast are killer (hello Sister Sister and Ellie) but it's so energetic that the episodes absolutely fly by even though they're longer than the US episodes while having less queens.

It has just the right amount of shade/drama to keep things spicy without feeling overproduced or contrived, and underneath it all you can see the queens generally treat it with just the right amount of seriousness it deserves and any conflict is quickly brushed off. Ru seems to be having more fun and seems more invested than I've seen him in years, the challenges have been pretty high quality on the whole. It's just a great season and I look forward to it a ton each week which I honestly can't say for season 13.

Also, Tayce feels the breakout star here. I don't think she's going to win and she's not the best at the challenges but she just has IT. Her talking heads are brilliant, she and Tia are definitely the narrators of the season.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
That song was so dreadful lmao. God, it was painful having to hear it twice. What on earth.

Also, I'm okay with Joe leaving since she was already eliminated, but I agree that it was a bit wtf of Ru to harp on her wearing H&M when a girl wearing an Asos jacket was the winner of another challenge lol

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
That song was so dreadful lmao. God, it was painful having to hear it twice. What on earth.

Also, I'm okay with Joe leaving since she was already eliminated, but I agree that it was a bit wtf of Ru to harp on her wearing H&M when a girl wearing an Asos jacket was the winner of another challenge lol
But the Asos jacket was worn as part of an east london girl outfit, an off the rack jacket made sense there and the entire look was styled very well. Joe wore a simple dress as basically his entire Eurovision stage outfit and the styling was meh. He said his other options looked too old but why not make himself the grandma in a girl group? Eurovision is full of shenanigans like that.

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic episode, even if the judging continues to be a bit... dodgy.

I think it's important that this show let the queens tell people how COVID has affected their lives and I'm glad they devoted some time to highlight how difficult it is to make drag work as your full-time gig in the middle of a pandemic. I was extremely sad to hear that Veronica won't be able to complete this season because she's one of my favorites, but bringing Joe back was the right call and I'm glad that Ru extended an invite to Veronica to come back (anyone thinking about auditioning for S3 should already be scared!).

Joe's runway look was easily the best thing this week and it's a shame to see her go home, but...

Joe wore a simple dress as basically his entire Eurovision stage outfit and the styling was meh. He said his other options looked too old but why not make himself the grandma in a girl group? Eurovision is full of shenanigans like that.

No amount of whataboutism around an Asos jacket negates this. Ru's asking the girls to come hard and a Eurovision-themed challenge basically allows these queens to do whatever they want, so I can understand her critiques even if I thought they where overly harsh.

I really hope that Tia gets her runway act together. She's got the wit and personality to go far, but her looks are holding her back. I want to root for this underdog, but that ice cream look was awful and this comes after wearing one of worst looks in the show's herstory the other week. Ru's critique really felt like a final warning and based on Tia's lipsync it's possible that it got through to her. She needs a good Snatch Game performance next week!

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
lol it was like my second favorite original song they've done on Drag Race. Ironically the only one I've liked more was on last season of UK
Haha oh dang, it was one of the worst for me. I loved last year's frock destroyers song and also actually the other one but i can't remember it at all and I'm too lazy to look it up lmao.
It was a cheesy Eurovision parody, it was deliberately and knowingly a bit crap.
"a bit" is not... what we got lmao. I know what Eurovision is.
But the Asos jacket was worn as part of an east london girl outfit, an off the rack jacket made sense there and the entire look was styled very well. Joe wore a simple dress as basically his entire Eurovision stage outfit and the styling was meh. He said his other options looked too old but why not make himself the grandma in a girl group? Eurovision is full of shenanigans like that.
Hmm okay, yeah good point re: the Asos jacket. I didn't think of that.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
The Queens in Lockdown show was great. I felt really sorry for Veronica—going through depression and then ending with not being able to return to filming. Hope she comes back for the next series.

cyport

Nov 8, 2017

The quality is awful on iPlayer compared to RPDR on Netflix. In fact, iPlayer quality just sucks generally. They seem to have some real bitrate issues.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I haven't watched Eurovision in at least 15 years but I had a hard time seeing the Eurovision in the song other than it being intentionally naff. I admit I was expecting more ABBA, Bucks Fizz or even Samantha Janus (j/k, old reference there) than what we got, but hey it was standard fare for a RPDR song.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I really hope that Tia gets her runway act together. She's got the wit and personality to go far, but her looks are holding her back. I want to root for this underdog, but that ice cream look was awful and this comes after wearing one of worst looks in the show's herstory the other week. Ru's critique really felt like a final warning and based on Tia's lipsync it's possible that it got through to her. She needs a good Snatch Game performance next week!
Tia I feel like is going to be a powerhouse on an All-stars season

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Tia I feel like is going to be a powerhouse on an All-stars season
You'd hope so, but she essentially got the benefits of time and space to think during lockdown and came back with an ice cream cone halloween costume. Tia is so frustrating because she's one of the easiest ones to root for, she's so likeable. But her looks can be so poor (not always, the medusa look was amazing)

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
This is All-Stars, basically. She had enough time (sadly, not enough money) for the glow-up.
I think the difference between this and all-stars is public knowledge and events, going on that post-drag race tour, and the sponsorships if you did or were seen as potentially doing well.

Compared to being stuck in your place for 7 months with no work.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Man that was super emotional. It's been hard in the UK, we've had an absolutely horrid death toll and we're in our third lockdown since March, I haven't left my town since March 2020 either.

I feel super fucking awful for Veronica, I'm so glad she gets to come back for s3. Bless her that must've been so hard to deal with. She reacted the same way my partner did to the lockdown, and still is, I wake him up daily after work and his depression is debilitating... hard to watch.

I love Tia so much I'm so sad that her ice cream sucked, I hope she steps it up or she's not got long left I think. :( I love this cast so much.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
You'd hope so, but she essentially got the benefits of time and space to think during lockdown and came back with an ice cream cone halloween costume. Tia is so frustrating because she's one of the easiest ones to root for, she's so likeable. But her looks can be so poor (not always, the medusa look was amazing)

She said that she redid most of her looks excepted this one.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
Tia is so funny and intelligent, it's frustrating to see her flounder. I think her references and ideas are potentially great, she just needs help from someone with more design knowledge to fully deliver. Imagine the ice cream cone look being as polished and on point as Awhora's chips and ketchup? It would be over.

Even if Tia doesn't go all the way, she's been so well received by the fanbase and RuGirls online. I'm hoping she makes connections that can help her develop her look and character more.

And regarding Ru's comments on off the rack looks, I totally get where he's coming from but I wish that criticism was also brought to the cast of season 13. A lot of those girls are coasting on some truly busted and poorly executed looks, and I don't understand why.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
One other thing about the Eurovision performance that popped in to my head randomly - no one did the Bucks Fizz ripping off the skirts as part of their choreo, the most iconic and obvious dance move in Eurovision history, and by a British winner.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Another great episode this week. Thought the MNEK choreography section was hilarious. Tayce almost falling off his chair when Awhora started to sing was so funny.

Ru kicking off was uncalled for to be honest. Joe got kicked off in an episode where the winner had a runway that consisted of an Asos jacket and a box of chicken only to be yelled at for making a joke about it being H&M after Michele started making comments about it being primark. Looking back, I'm not even sure it was from H&M, Michelle was throwing shade and I think Joe was trying to make light of it.

Joe admitted it was 'basic' before the show, but they seemed so focused on colour matching that they went with it, so I do think it was a mistake. However, this wasn't a runway look, so I think Ru should have cut them some slack.

Best judges this week were the guest judges. I somewhat agree with Grahams comment that Ellies outfit looked a little 'pantomime'

I really hope Tia steps it up next week. Tia has some fantastic talent, is witty as fuck and has the potential to be up there with some help with the runway. I'm pretty sure they will smash the snatch game.

Last edited:

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I think outfits for challenges shouldn't matter, but hey, the expectations keep raising. It was an interesting episode coming back from lockdown, it feels like some queens were really throw off by the events which I think it's important to see. The US season has so far largely preferred to pretend covid didn't happen and it creates a huge disconnect from the real world.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a Eurovision fan, this song was not it. It was trashy in entirely the wrong way. Eurovision is about tongue-in-cheek absurdity with a local flair, not a geneic drag dance track.

This was just another standard Rusical with a token Eurovision reference because Graham is there to commentate.

One other thing about the Eurovision performance that popped in to my head randomly - no one did the Bucks Fizz ripping off the skirts as part of their choreo, the most iconic and obvious dance move in Eurovision history, and by a British winner.
Nah, Euphoria has long since eclipsed that. Also the sexy clothes washing. And 2016's legendary interval act.

There are so many references they could have gone with and didn't, and I'm putting this on both the producers and the queens. It was a disappointment all round.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
The reaction of Ru is so much worse when you learn that Joe Black had to sell her looks during the pandemic since she needed the money to feed herself. :/

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Finally watched the episode and....the rant really wasn't that bad. Way overblown for how much anger the fans are showing, and Ru didn't even say anything particularly evil. She was right, if you're going to use something off the rack, do SOMETHING to make it special; that's why Asstina was able to win her challenge with an ASOS jacket.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Finally watched the episode and....the rant really wasn't that bad. Way overblown for how much anger the fans are showing, and Ru didn't even say anything particularly evil. She was right, if you're going to use something off the rack, do SOMETHING to make it special; that's why Asstina was able to win her challenge with an ASOS jacket.

I just watched it, and I agree.

I feel like some people still want to view RuPaul's Drag Race as this "little old show" that should be lucky it gets queens coming on it. But no. It's not that and it hasn't been that in a long time.

RuPaul's Drag Race has become a global brand that can launch you into global stardom just by being on it. I personally know queens who would kill to be on Drag Race, because it sets you up in a way that wasn't always accessible to drag performers. And it has RuPaul's name attached to it. If I was Ru I'd have torn into Joe too. Don't make light of an opportunity that so many other queens would kill to have. Throw some glitter on that damn H&M dress or something. Whatever you do, don't brag about your lack of effort. Yeah these COVID times are hard, but they're hitting all of us.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get you gotta jazz up an outfit, Joe could have done that with stuff in the Werkroom easily or have the team help out (she knows how, just look at that showstopping runway put out there), but Ru was off there.

I mean, in the same damn ep she sat there and said "If you have 50 people working on you, you'd look like me" then shit on Joe over a cheap dress. How much does she think Queens make out there?

That being said, Joe wasn't going to make it either way. Too inconsistent and given a second chance still seems to not get the competition aspect of it and not really push to go all the way. Having/selecting a weak as hell team didn't help of course, none of them looked good out there.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Joe a lot, but you get the sense she has incredibly limited range. She has a very specific (and very cool) kind of exaggerated style to her drag, but imagining her in some of the challenges they'd have to do, it's really tough to visualize her stretching her wings that far.

I'm sure her Glenn Close as Cruella snatch game would have been exciting though

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
I've had that bloody song in my head all day and it's doing my nut in

As4D5Zg.png

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018

UK HUN? Is a legit great song and I can't stop listening to it.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Bimini was my favorite in the performance. I even rewinded to watch her part again.

The "you should have elevated your drag during lockdown!" narrative is honestly annoying as hell. They didn't have the advantage of the exposure from the show because the season wasn't airing yet. These queens weren't making bank in the months they weren't filming, they were literally out of work and unable to leave their homes.

The queens do need to step their pussy up, but this particular interval was not conducive to that.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017
London
Ohhhhhh. Tia's been working with Little Boots.

Though, the fact it's out this week make me fear she's about to be eliminated.

Honestly, if Sister Sister has beaten Tia I'm going to go ballistic. If Sister has beaten anyone left I will go ballistic.