• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
At some point it becomes "who can take on the most debt" when it comes to designers and, well, that's unsustainable. The answer to that is probably more sewing/found item challenges.
Someone can spend $100K on looks for the show, it won't matter if they can't perform. Just look at Kahmora Hall.

I think people are getting too up in arms over the money thing. It's absolutely an advantage, and something they should find a way to work on, but it undermines the talent of the queens to say that you're able to just pay your way through the competition. There's no realistic way to track and limit expenses prior to the show without turning it into a sewing competition, which it absolutely isn't (and shouldn't be)

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Project Runway has no problem giving its contestants a budget that they have to stick to, with receipts required. On a recent season someone tried to discount the custom-designed shoes (charging for materials but not design work) they wanted to use for the final runway and the producers simply said they couldn't do that, so the shoes didn't walk the runway.

This is a good point. I think we're all unintentionally buying into the idea that budget is an unsolvable problem for Drag Race when it's really not.

There are several ways they could level the playing field, and we see this on other reality shows. The problem is this would likely come at the cost of showstopping runways, and the producers don't seem to want to do that. Heck, if this finale was any indication, queens for future seasons better be prepared to go even deeper into debt than ever before. Because each queen had to bring three ball looks, PLUS two lip sync looks (and there had BETTER be reveals), for ONE episode of the show. Don't get me wrong I loved watching the extravagance, but I do think it's fair to say it's becoming too much. It almost feels like the show is becoming divorced from actual drag, which is a problem because that was already a long-held criticism of the show.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone setting up an OT for Down Under?

I would offer myself but I'm weighed down with work at the moment

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Okay I guess I'll do it at some point tonight haha

If anyone can think of any witty puns for the title please let me know within the next couple hours

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Don't want to be murdered here (because this is eye-rollingly awful) but ever since Aussie Drag Race was announced forever ago I can't get "Roo-Paul" out of my head as a pun.

Yes I will definitely use this

I've thought of a title so I'm going to set it up now, just need to go find some pictures and information about the queens

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Cocks in Frocks on a Rock

It's gotta be Priscilla-themed.

(Too naughty for a thread title?)

Ha you read my mind

Here's the link for the thread

www.resetera.com

RooPaul's Drag Race Down Under |OT| Queens Of The Desert

G'day mates. Just when you thought there might have been a week in 2021 when Drag Race wasn't on your telly, you were wrong. Starting this weekend it's the turn of the Australian drag queens to show us how it's done in their first season. For a good round up of who all the queens are, click...

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
I've just been catching up on Drag Race; despite all the relevant criticisms about the shows format I really enjoyed S12, but S13 has been such a downer so far, especially seeing Kandy turn into a massive attention vacuum.

I'm not sure if thats just the producers giving her too much airtime, but its really soured me on this series, especially seeing Tamisha Iman go so early and the drama between them.

I'm not ignorant to TV shenanigans, especially after having Big Brother on UK TV for two decades now, but rather than create drama I want to tune in on, its really off-put me. I don't excuse the harassment she's received but Kandy strikes me as someone who has no sense of self--awareness, who's incredibly over-sensitive with a nasty side she's not grown out of as an Adult. I hope she grows and develops as a person, but if anything the easy pass shes had in the series feels it will just inflate her ego more rather than reflect a little.

I enjoy a bit of tea and catty-ness, but I enjoy a warm contestant with a bit of history and down to earthness, and seeing Tamisha go really gutted me.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a good article or book on drag? I enjoy the show, but I dont understand some of the historical references.

For example, I dont understand what makes a performer such as Kandy divisive in the finale.

mypixelfriend

Jan 7, 2019
That's an interesting thing to post. I'd like to jump in your head to experience the perspective of not understanding why Kandy is divisive (I'm not being passive aggressive, btw. It's that I'm so accustomed and familiar with all the tropes of drag race/fandom/reality TV it would be interesting to not be so deep in it!)

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a good article or book on drag? I enjoy the show, but I dont understand some of the historical references.

For example, I dont understand what makes a performer such as Kandy divisive in the finale.

I don't know about books, but "Paris is Burning" is the seminal documentary to watch for an intro intro into the ball culture in 80s NYC that forms the foundation of modern drag.

However, there's nothing in "drag history" that is necessary to understand why Kandy was divisive. The general feeling is that she was obviously being kept on the show despite poor performance due to 1) producer manipulation, 2) inconsistent judges critiques, or some combination of both. Add to that her attitude throughout most of the show's season and you have the feeling she was only there due to the show not wanting to lose the drama she created.

alvmew

Nov 12, 2017

A lot of the references that aren't callbacks to Past seasons tend to be references to ballroom culture and not just drag - so watching things like Paris is Burning, Legendary, and Pose might help if you'd like to "see" where it all comes from.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That's an interesting thing to post. I'd like to jump in your head to experience the perspective of not understanding why Kandy is divisive (I'm not being passive aggressive, btw. It's that I'm so accustomed and familiar with all the tropes of drag race/fandom/reality TV it would be interesting to not be so deep in it!)
However, there's nothing in "drag history" that is necessary to understand why Kandy was divisive. The general feeling is that she was obviously being kept on the show despite poor performance due to 1) producer manipulation, 2) inconsistent judges critiques, or some combination of both. Add to that her attitude throughout most of the show's season and you have the feeling she was only there due to the show not wanting to lose the drama she created.
Sorry for the delay, I've re-written this a few times. Thank you in advance for humoring me.

I think my question is then, what generally constitutes good performance vs poor performance, if there is a standard. As a former pro-wrestler so I know there is overlap, but still a gap between technically proficient and entertaining. I also assume that the there are cultural norms that some competitors may or may not know, hence the historical bent of my first question. (thanks for the documentary recommendations)

For Kandy specifically, I found that her character was charismatic, which made her more entertaining to me than some others who went further into the competition. While Kandy had runway looks that weren't my cup of tea several times, (even objectively bad in an arena has a fair amount of subjectivity), she seemed, to me, to perform well in the challenges. I really dont know what constitutes good versus great lip syncing, so how to gauge her performance against Tamisha or Symone (first time) is unclear to me. Does "performance" on Untucked factor into anything? It also seemed like RuPaul just liked Kandy.

I certainly understand that being saved after losing against Symone would be a call by someone for the sake of keeping the show "interesting", which seems like it doesn't occur that often.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I just bought this for my partner. Seems to synthesize drag race history and popular queer culture.
I don't know about books, but "Paris is Burning" is the seminal documentary to watch for an intro intro into the ball culture in 80s NYC that forms the foundation of modern drag.
A lot of the references that aren't callbacks to Past seasons tend to be references to ballroom culture and not just drag - so watching things like Paris is Burning, Legendary, and Pose might help if you'd like to "see" where it all comes from.
Thank you for these recommendations.

Edit: Book ordered and I think Paris is Burning will take this Friday's drag slot for TV viewing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
egg

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So the AS6 promo leaked which means the reveal is probably happening soon.
Really surprised to see Ginger again tbh.

4aua3ap2qe171.jpg

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, that cast. They should really change the name to RuPaul's Second Chance, or put the All-Star format on the backburner for a few years until they can build up a more solid roster to choose from. They've exhausted almost all the big queens who make sense for All-Stars

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes at that cast. I mean, I'll watch it. But talk about meh. And like others already said, both Eureka and Silky.........

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The wheels came off way before this when we had India Farah, Bebe, Shangela's third chance etc, etc (which I'm not criticising, just noting.) It's open season now. Penny Tration and Magnolia Crawford in AS7, whatever.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Eureka and Silky.

imma skip. that combo is so contrived and manufactured they should be embarrassed

Oct 27, 2017
Despite really not enjoying either of them during their seasons, the idea of Eureka and Silky trapped in a room together is giving me some Jean-Paul Sartre "No Exit" vibes that *could* be deeply amusing.

It will be nice to see Pandora and Ginger again, but I'm really excited about Jiggly. I think she's in a place to surprise a lot of people and could be an underdog worth cheering for.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of love this cast lol

No fan favorite so we're unlikely to end up with a Shea/Trixie situation, and all of these queens are pretty combative and unfiltered so there's potential for some entertaining drama

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Oof, that cast is dire. The only queen I'm genuinely interested in seeing is Jiggly, because Season 4 was dope and she's had a serious glow up since then.

Actually Sonique is good too.

Where's Gigi and Gottmik? My headcanon is they're both A-tier queen who are high above this mess.

This is going to be the drama season of All Stars, isn't it? I'm very much not down for more of Silky. Go home fast, please.

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
So the AS6 promo leaked which means the reveal is probably happening soon.
Really surprised to see Ginger again tbh.

4aua3ap2qe171.jpg
Oooooooooof. No Crystal Methyd, Widow Von'Du, Nicky Doll, Blair St. Clair, Asia O'Hara? I had my hopes up for AS. I wonder how much COVID impacted peoples' willingness to come out.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I like the case. A handful of top 3/4 queens, more trans queens, and a handful of "this queen went home too early" queens. Frontrunners IMO would be Eureka, Yara, TKB and Scarlett, though I wonder if there would be a surprise run from someone? Also hoping to see Kylie/Sonique go far.

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
I hope IAS lets WOW rest on regular AS for a year to let S11/12 queens have some post-pandemic touring and let them grow a bit for a more impressive AS7, but as a shorter season....I doubt it.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so ready for more Rajah O'Hara. FUCK.
Queen of delusion! An ugly girl could NEVER come for a pretty girl.
Gimme thrown drinks and drama!