• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Unfortunate that Gottmik and Symone were placed together in the semifinal, those were by far the top 2 but ok at least a frontrunner won.

things I want for the future regular, US seasons:

.- eliminations should start on episode 2 not before or after.
.- no more double shantays. Bring someone back later on or do double sashays, whatever, just spice it up, change it, the show doesn't need pre-programmed double stays
.- no more than 12 queens, SPECIALLY if there's pre-programmed double shantays, preferably just 10 (this is THE reason why I'll watch down under, RPDR just isn't a fun 12-14 Episode show)
.- 3 finalists, 4 is too crowded and it would make the last elimination intense (think Detox vs Jinx)

The double shantays just aren't that thrilling anymore and really fuck with the show's flow.

I'd add one more: no more stuffing the show with lipsynchs. I swear there were nearly 25. They're exciting but they need to be earned.

Ummm Rosé's brother can fucking get it. Oof.

I'm hot for Rose and his brother. Probably just as much as Joey Jay.

I disagree. She showed herself to be a thin skinned bully and has nothing to back up that stank attitude with. On top of that she seems proud of her ignorance. Plus her drag sucks. It's just a terrible overall package imo.

The actual vitriol sent her way is unacceptable, but overall I agree. Kandy feels like a show jumping moment (yes I know it's Drag Race lol)

Why just bust out a Dominican flag when you could've done a Dominican flag look!?

It's just so bad.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
She was quite literally saved by production and had her hand held through to getting fucking second over so many actually talented queens. Let's not act like there aren't justified critiques of her.
That's true but there's a difference between criticizing her drag or attacking her personally.

And it's important to remember that Kandy didn't put herself in the finale, the producers did that. All Kandy did was her thing, it's not her fault she didn't get a lot of criticism for her looks and that her attitude was rewarded.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have any rumoured dates for when AS6 starts? I wonder if it's going to be after Down Under, or run alongside it.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be honest. I find Symone pleasant. But....she is not particularly good at acting since she recycled that same personality over and over again for every challenge. She's funny sometimes. She can't sing. She can't dance. She can't sew. Lipsyncs were whatever. Her roast flopped....idk.

She is a lackluster winner and I think Gottmik was probably a little more well rounded looking back.

Lala Ri deserved Miss Congeniality. So I'm happy she got that.

Nov 1, 2017
There will never be a queen with a luckier run on the show than Kandy Muse and i think part of the reason there is that dislike towards her (other than the way she comes across on the show and on her social media) is because of this. Right off the bat, episode one, she gets to lip sync against Joey Jay who by her own admission was a filler queen. Had she been paired up with anyone remotely good at lip syncing she could have kissed her entire "Winner's circle" storyline goodbye. Episode 2 and she is by far the worst in the challenge and had season 13 not started it's run with what seemed like 10 non elimination episodes then she would have been kicked off there and then, Dahlia Sin 2.0.

The 2nd time she does the worst she is in the bottom and has to lip sync against her rival, Tamisha. Despite the fact that Tamisha has more star quality in her left toe than Kandy has in her entirety she just about manages to beat a cancer survivor with an ostomy bag who's barely managed to walk again let alone perform a high octane lip sync, that and Kandy was given a song that couldn't be more tailored to her.

She lands in the bottom again against Symone, one of the undisputed breakout stars of the season and eventual winner. Kandy could have given the most spectacular lip sync of her life (and she didn't) but she would have gone home against Symone except... PLOT TWIST! It's yet another non elimination episode. And the only reason this episode was chosen as the non elimination was because the next episode was the makeover challenge that had to be changed due to Covid from the normal "bring in some random" to getting the queens to paint themselves which required there to be an even number of queens. Except... There were supposed to be 14 queens this season. One of them got kicked off before filming started due to Sherry Pie style shenanigans. So not only did Kandy luck out by being terrible in an episode were no one would leave (twice) there were multiple circumstances that all came together beautifully in order to keep her on the show.

At this point she does... fine. Until she busts out the worst look in Drag Race history bar none and somehow doesn't immediately land in the bottom because of it, presumably because she has plot armour on at this point and Ru/production has decided she is "good TV". She then gets her one win. A roast challenge where the biggest laugh she gets is a stolen Lady Bunny joke which i know Ru has heard about a million times before, but honestly the roast was a trainwreck, no one was a standout so why not toss the win of the roast challenge to the queen with the biggest mouth, it couldn't be more obvious. When AI algorithms get so advanced that they can replace humans and write TV shows the roast episode is the kind of show that they will pump out automatically until the end of time when humanity has long gone and all that's left in the dying embers of our world are self powered machines impotently churning out TV that will never be seen.

Kandy is once again in the bottom for not performing well and for another hideous look but once again, Lady Luck has smiled upon her because the only queen she could have possibly beaten out of the ones left is also in the bottom and it just so happens that Olivia's storyline and time on the show has entirely run its course. Kandy then squeaks into the top 4 by a whisker and because the latter seasons of Drag Race insist on 4 queens making it to the finale so they can lip sync she gets an easy free ticket to the finale instead of how she would have been kicked off at this point back in the earlier seasons for a top 3 (because no way in hell was she gonna stay over Gottmik, Rose or Symone).

And now for the finale. At long last.

thumb_remembertitanic-its-been-84-years-when-you-see-a-veterans-48353914.png

After the longest season ever that was so obnoxiously drawn out that a leaner, better, more exciting season of Drag Race aired in its entirety during season 13's run we finally reach the end. The nightmare will soon be over.

Whatever blood sacrifice Kandy made to earn her this streak of good luck carried on in the finale because the queen with the worst track record and by far the least amount of social media support gets to lip sync against Rose who apart from Bianca Del Rio has the best track record on the show ever. Except... PLOT TWIST! Rose is recovering from a sprained ankle. And was obviously not at her best considering she full on fainted prior to lip syncing. Even with the obvious advantage of lip syncing against someone who is physically impaired for the second time in the season Kandy gives us the very definition of "Go girl, give us nothing" which on any other episode of drag race would have been worthy of a double elimination but she wins, because of course she does.

Obviously this is where her luck finally run out cause Symone was the rightful winner. But there's a part of me that kind of wishes Kandy had won. It would have been the most fitting end to the worst season of Drag Race ever produced since the first one was cheaply filmed on a Vaseline smeared lens for about $3000.

In conclusion, this season of Drag Race sucked so much shit that the toilet is jealous (Jinkx Monsoon™) and because Kandy suffers from a complete lack of self awareness all it takes is a cursory glance at her social media to realise that she totally buys into her own hype. She better hope and pray that when she gets cast on All Stars it's along with a bunch of queens that are scraping the bottom of the barrel cause there is no one else left otherwise she is in for a rude awakening.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Silky wasn't that bad outside of the first like two episodes. Yvie shitting on everyone then bugging out when she got criticism throughout the season was way more annoying.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Silky wasn't that bad outside of the first like two episodes.

you really really need to watch that season again.

She was as bad and annoying later in the season as she was early on.

she had worse drag than kandy, worse attitude towards fellow queens than Kandy, worse lipsyncher than kandy.

no season has had a bigger and more obvious and blatant case of having a terrible competitor being helped by production to make it to finals like with Silky

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Thank god this season is over so y'all can stop shitting on Kandy Muse. She looked fantastic in the finale and she beat Rosé handily (who, let's be honest, isn't a great lip syncer based on what we've seen on the show. Sprain or not, she looked dead behind the eyes too).

Gottmik totally won the night looks wise, and Symone was a close second. I was little shocked they did not give them the double shantay. But I look forward to Gottmik's career from here on out, she's given some of the best looks in the show's history last night alone.

Last edited:

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I hope I'm not being offensive in saying this, but did it also look like Rose maybe hadn't kept up fitness leading up to the finale due to her ankle? Her unitard in the sync did not look flattering at all, sadly.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The double shantays just aren't that thrilling anymore and really fuck with the show's flow.

I think they are fine when it is deserved, i.e.: Alyssa and Tatianna, or Yvie and Brook. Kandy and Symone shouldn't have been a double save, although technically Ru eliminated Kandy.

But personaly I think double Sashays are more fun.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
Brita tried to kill herself last year because of the "fans", let's try to avoid a redo of this, shall we?

You posted a 1000+ words essay about a drag queen you hate, get a grip.

I hope I'm not being offensive in saying this, but did it also look like Rose maybe hadn't kept up fitness leading up to the finale due to her ankle? Her unitard in the sync did not look flattering at all, sadly.

Rosé isn't a skinny dude. She ain't Kameron but she's a pretty in shape guy. But yeah her second outfit didn't look good at all.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
you really really need to watch that season again.

She was as bad and annoying later in the season as she was early on.

she had worse drag than kandy, worse attitude towards fellow queens than Kandy, worse lipsyncher than kandy.

no season has had a bigger and more obvious and blatant case of having a terrible competitor being helped by production to make it to finals like with Silky
rude is a troll lol. Just don't pay attention to their posts. They're like this in every thread.

Thank god this season is over so y'all can stop shitting on Kandy Muse. She looked fantastic in the finale and she beat Rosé handily (who, let's be honest, isn't a great lip syncer based on what we've seen on the show. Sprain or not, she looked dead behind the eyes too).

Gottmik totally won the night looks wise, and Symone was a close second. I was little shocked they did not give them the double shantay. But I look forward to Gottmik's career from here on out, she's given some of the best looks in the show's history last night alone.
Kinda agree, although most of the posts in here are legitimate criticism, some come across way harsher than necessary.

But also, truly agreed on Rose's lipsync performance. I know she had an ankle injury, but she could have barely moved and still emoted and done a lot in that way and potentially have won. Instead, it was just basically a blank stare. Maybe it was nerves idk.

Nov 1, 2017
You posted a 1000+ words essay about a drag queen you hate, get a grip.
I don't hate Kandy. I don't know her. The other top 3 seem pretty friendly with her so she must have some redeeming qualities that don't come across on the show or her Twitter. I'm just exhausted by her presence that was actively dragging down an already bad season. Think of it as me venting my frustrations at having her forcibly spoon-fed to me every week. Like watching Kandy Muse was the equivalent of me hunched on a toilet bowl pushing out a giant, painful turd and the RPDR finale was the point where i finally reached the end, breathed a sigh of relief, wiped the sweat from my brow and looked back as if to say "Oh wow, look at that giant turd, that was a struggle to deal with, thank god it's finally over". And in case the world's most unpleasant analogy isn't enough of a clue i'm a fan of exaggerated hyperbole.

Also you bring up Brita as if me making a snarky post on a primarily gaming message board of all things that Kandy will almost definitely never see is at all comparable to a bunch of unstable lunatics sending actual death threats to Brita directly on social media all because Aiden Zane got on her tits and she lashed out. Get a grip indeed.

The plot armor for Silky on season 11 was definitely worse.
I'm not too sure about that, maybe i've blanked it from memory but didn't she only lip sync the once? Granted it was one of the most flaccid lip syncs ever which was a bit awkward after she spent seemingly every episode of untucked going on about how she was some sort of lip sync assassin and how she was motherfucking ready to do so (what does that have to do with anything bitch?) but i remember her performance being medium level producer assisted as opposed to the shenanigans employed on this season.

Last edited:

Holmes

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I don't dislike Kandy as much as others but the whole "countries with no water" thing was a big yikes.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
Also you bring up Brita as if me making a snarky post on a primarily gaming message board of all things that Kandy will almost definitely never see is at all comparable to a bunch of unstable lunatics sending actual death threats to Brita directly on social media all because Aiden Zane got on her tits and she lashed out. Get a grip indeed.

You think Kandy didn't get those? Hell, people found her mother's social media and sent hate on there too. Also the Brita comment wasn't necessarily directed to you, but in general. While the queens certainly doesn't read this thread, general hate towards them fuels it in other spheres of the Internet.

Nov 1, 2017
You think Kandy didn't get those? Hell, people found her mother's social media and sent hate on there too. Also the Brita comment wasn't necessarily directed to you, but in general. While the queens certainly doesn't read this thread, general hate towards them fuels it in other spheres of the Internet.
I know Kandy did cause every queen apart from a few lucky ones have to deal with that and what happened with her mother is inexcusable. Anyone who actively messages hate or threats to queens on their social media or their friends/family is a garbage person who needs their internet taken away from them. However... If you're going to go on TV then you're going to open yourself up to criticism, valid and otherwise. If the WoW production staff doesn't drill the ideology of "Don't read the comments on twitter/youtube/whatever" into the queens when they sign up for the show then they should be doing this. I also think they should have adequate aftercare for the queens so that when they edit them in a way like they did with Brita where they know damn well it's gonna open them up to abuse that there is the support available to help them through it. Sadly though i think RuPaul and WoW treats the people who make their shows what they are as utterly disposable. The contracts they make them sign is proof of that.

You can give me shit for ragging on Kandy but all i have to go on with her as a person is how she comes across on a heavily edited TV program and how she conducts herself on social media. Some queens like Phi Phi O'Hara come across very differently on their social media than they do on the show so my opinion of them alters accordingly. And some queens like Kandy and Silky seem entirely accurate to their own screen persona, i will say though my opinion of Silky (and Vanjie/Shangela) took a complete nosedive when they decided to go off partying in Puerto Vallarta in the middle of an unprecedented global pandemic and when I see the kind of behaviour from queens off the show that reinforces the negative opinion I have of them on the show then i assume it's accurate.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I'm not too sure about that, maybe i've blanked it from memory but didn't she only lip sync the once?

precisely that reinforces the idea that Silky was more protected than Kandy.

at least Kandy was sent to the bttm two several times and production acknowledged she sucked when she did (most of the time). Silky was abysmal plenty of times and lip-synched once...

i remember her performance being medium level producer assisted as opposed to the shenanigans employed on this season.

S11 flew over your heads people, Silky had one-of-a-kind production assitance. Kandy's run on S13 is a very distant 2nd.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to be honest. I find Symone pleasant. But....she is not particularly good at acting since she recycled that same personality over and over again for every challenge. She's funny sometimes. She can't sing. She can't dance. She can't sew. Lipsyncs were whatever. Her roast flopped....idk.

She is a lackluster winner and I think Gottmik was probably a little more well rounded looking back.

Lala Ri deserved Miss Congeniality. So I'm happy she got that.

I think Gottmik is set up to have a killer All Stars run someday, so I'm looking forward to that. I feel that Symone would have struggled more on an All Stars season, so in that way I'm actually kind of glad that Gottmik didn't win just so we can get more of her in the future.

Last edited:

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All things considered, Kandy started the season pretty grinding, but as the season progressed she softened and became more likeable. The hate she is getting is undeserved.

Yes, she was carried by the production all the way to top 2, but that isn't her fault, so no point in blaming her. If you were in her spot what would you do? Leave the show? Hate the game, not the player.

Matt_

Oct 25, 2017
Symone's black and white dress genuinely made me gasp, so so good
Mik's final look was amazing too (even if she could barely move in it)

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give Kandy this: when the show was almost over against Rose, she went hard and clearly tilted Rose. She was flat for the whole thing, but her face really fell there at the end.

Symone winning is a fine outcome. I like her politics and what she has to say with her drag, so that's great. She's not a very good performer in a lot of ways, but she did good on the finale

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Symone's black and white dress genuinely made me gasp, so so good
Mik's final look was amazing too (even if she could barely move in it)

Hot take incoming, but this was so disqualifying for me personally. These girls are so tragically Instagram. lol

Gottmik's looks were works of art, but sometimes I feel like these queens take "art" too literally, because during 2 of Gottmik's 3 runways I was openly laughing at the weird duck walk she was doing because she couldn't move. Like, she couldn't even give you a graceful step those outfits were so inhibiting. It was a jarring and unintentionally hilarious juxtaposition.

I easily gave Symone the runway win. Because while her looks were the simplest in terms of silhouette, they were elevated versions of her traditional aesthetic, and they allowed her to do what she does best: Stomp the runway DOWN henny. Which worked to her advantage, because compared to the rest of the girls, Symone looked the most comfortable and winner like on that stage. She was all moxy, and zero nerves.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So, as someone who has never actually followed the Drag Race discourse and community as I only really binged through the series finishing by last year, and not really knowing the community's takes on seasons outside of some bits of info my boyfriend gave me this is the first finale I've made it to relatively around airing (though I had to binge the whole season this past week to get here lol)

And overall I think it was a good season. I wouldn't even have necessarily thought seasons like 11 which people seem to dislike from reading this thread are that bad. But with that said I do think it was weirdly long in the tooth. I truly loved that I could identify the full cast of this season better than any other season because they gave it room to breathe, where mostly I've forgotten all the early-put queens. But even though I liked that I just felt like the show really really stretched on for this. I just finished binging UK S2 before this and that just felt much more to the pace of the earlier seasons. A bit less of a cohesive family vibe, but UK2 felt wild and interesting in the way earlier seasons have.

I liked the final four though I agree that Kandy was the odd one out (I felt the same for Silky which... seems to be a consensus haha). But Gottmik and Symone felt like they were both as much top Drag Race queens as I've ever seen. I loved Symone's vulnerability, her style, and her interest in making actual statements with her work. Gottmik felt like an utter breath of fresh air, I love her aesthetic, and her abilities as a performer are superb. Not to mention how nice it is to see better trans rep on the show, and in such an incredible and dynamic performer.

I definitely feel like there are some lessons to be learned in the show structure but I found this season fun. Maybe it's part of my binging the series lately but I don't think there's any Drag Race season I find notably subpar. I kind of love that the flavor of the shows has evolved through the years. And honestly I don't need them to try to make Seasons 4-6 again, especially when UK seems to be in that sort space in its development. I've honestly just enjoyed the ride. Looking forward to Down Under and more news on AS6!

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Symone deserves the win, she was the best at performing, and while Gottmik was really good in challenges and her fashion was amazing, you could see at the end who performs for living and who not. Gottmiks lipsynch felt a bit amateur-ish, while Symone just slayed it.

Why Rose picked that weird outfit for lipsynch i cant understand tho, it looked bad, and also her excuse was a bit meh, while understandable, just suck it up, like many queens before you. But i think she will be fun in AllStars.

This season was not bad, but while it dragged forever it made me dislike this season, it felt like we were watching it for a year (well, it was for 4 months), and i hope next seasons are not so long.

edit:
Kandy was fun to watch and everything, but imo didnt deserver to be in the top 4, she will get there, but she needs few more years.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm happy with the outcome of everything this season. To me it was overall greatly enjoyable and I didn't hate any queen, haha.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
For me this season wasn't any worse than the last 3 or 4. The show has been less and less interesting since it moved to VH1, in great part for me because it lost the edge (so many things that can't be done or said on that channel vs Logo). That's why the UK seasons are more fun (sorry for the comparison again), because they are much more uncensored and taken to much more of a satisfying extreme. They are also less designer-focused, which I think is ruining the US show. This season was the most produced and groomed of all and with it being so long it just creates a bit of fatigue.

I'm happy that Simone won, she was the best in the finale, just a great performer with amazing looks to boot.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They are also less designer-focused, which I think is ruining the US show. This season was the most produced and groomed of all and with it being so long it just creates a bit of fatigue.

yeah some of the queens are getting to
the definition of outfit wears you. Idk how to feel about amazing looks expertly designed by expensive designers on this show anymore lol. I love them but at the same time you start to notice the same designer designing the garments for the queens.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Awful season, I tuned out after I got halfway through, came back for the finale and all performances were underwhelming.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh, what other choice do queens have? They have a 2 to 4 weeks window (depending of which queen, which season) to create around 20 Runway looks + Maxi & Mini Challenges looks. It's understandable that queens instantly go to designers who they know are able to design and fabricate looks in a short amount of time. And pretty sure that most of the time, it's a joint effort. Gottmik looks always felt like Gottmik. Like for exemple, we all know Florence D'Lee is a great designer for drag queens, and looking at what she did with Tina Burner (even tho she couldn't fabricate them herself) it's clear that the problems in terms of taste wasn't from the designer but from Tina herself.

Last edited:

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even bother with the finale and just checked the results: The right person won and the melanin dynasty continues.

I'll also echo that designers are ruining the show. I get why the queens want to do it, but it's really just getting out of hand.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I dont even mind that many queens now have designers, but they shouldnt get so much praise, as if they are doing it themself. I'm still kinda pissed, that Gottmik won over Utica... i mean, this was just so incredible, and Utica did everything herself.

144856872_238015277855540_149014446497549302_n.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
At some point it becomes "who can take on the most debt" when it comes to designers and, well, that's unsustainable. The answer to that is probably more sewing/found item challenges.

Oct 22, 2020
Symone was the correct winner, but just seeing Jaida Essence Hall again was a stark reminder of the weakness of this season.

I adore Symone, but if you compare her to someone like Jaida, you see how much she still needs to grow before becoming a truly elite queen.

She'll get there because she has C-U-N-T in spades, but she still has a lot of work to do.

Nov 1, 2017
I dont even mind that many queens now have designers, but they shouldnt get so much praise, as if they are doing it themself. I'm still kinda pissed, that Gottmik won over Utica... i mean, this was just so incredible, and Utica did everything herself.

144856872_238015277855540_149014446497549302_n.jpg

Utica not being given the win for that look was a fucking disgrace. Honestly the designer thing is why i was fairly lukewarm about Gottmik. It's a bit odd to say this about a trans man but he is privileged in the sense that he is obviously quite wealthy and coudl afford to pay a fuck of a lot of money to all those designers for all of his looks but i just can't get excited about someone who is a glorified mannequin who's drag persona seems to be "dumb valley girl who says gorge a lot". I've got infinitely more time for someone like Jaida Essence Hall who made most of her looks herself and i don't know how much of a hand Symone had in creating looks but i got way more of a sense of "Oh shit, this is a Symone look!" from most of her stuff. The only thing i could say about Gottmik's stuff that to me screams Gottmik is his looks with his boy nips out which would appear to be his signature look.

Cherry and Laurence summed it up in the first episode of Drag Race UK. If it's doesn't look cheap and home made, it's not drag. While that isn't strictly true i'm far more interested in a queen's wardrobe if it is cheap and home made vs most things shown on season 13.

Someone else suggested this but Drag Race could solve both the designer issue and the fact that appearing on the show bankrupts most queens by giving them a strict budget to adhere to. Level the playing field.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Utica not being given the win for that look was a fucking disgrace. Honestly the designer thing is why i was fairly lukewarm about Gottmik. It's a bit odd to say this about a trans man but he is privileged in the sense that he is obviously quite wealthy and coudl afford to pay a fuck of a lot of money to all those designers for all of his looks but i just can't get excited about someone who is a glorified mannequin who's drag persona seems to be "dumb valley girl who says gorge a lot". I've got infinitely more time for someone like Jaida Essence Hall who made most of her looks herself and i don't know how much of a hand Symone had in creating looks but i got way more of a sense of "Oh shit, this is a Symone look!" from most of her stuff. The only thing i could say about Gottmik's stuff that to me screams Gottmik is his looks with his boy nips out which would appear to be his signature look.

Cherry and Laurence summed it up in the first episode of Drag Race UK. If it's doesn't look cheap and home made, it's not drag. While that isn't strictly true i'm far more interested in a queen's wardrobe if it is cheap and home made vs most things shown on season 13.

Someone else suggested this but Drag Race could solve both the designer issue and the fact that appearing on the show bankrupts most queens by giving them a strict budget to adhere to. Level the playing field.

Symone is a member of the House of Avalon, so I'm pretty sure the bulk of her wigs and costumes are made by Gigi and her mother. That said, I'm willing to give Symone a pass because she has the strongest brand aesthetic I've seen from a queen on the show in a while. She's that Y2K Urban Girl, and it feels like she could work with just about anyone and get a look that screams Symone! because she knows her aesthetic and her references so well.

And that's not for nothing, because we've seen some girls go into debt for their Drag Race costumes and still flop half the runways because they themselves had no sense of style or fashion. And some really crunchy wigs.

Also, random aside...I don't know HOW we managed to get both the best AND worst wigs in one season. Symone's wigs were great. OLIVIA had some of the best hair I've ever seen on the show, period. Meanwhile...Rose? KANDY!? Gurl...some of them wigs y'all just pulled right out the bag, huh?

Kandy should have been sent home for the black bob alone.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
PIT

While I like the rule it'd be nearly impossible to enforce plus easy to circumvent by just saying the looks were done "free of charge".

I think a more interesting solution would be a totally in-house design season. Have Ru come out and say they lost all their luggage or something. Release some of it back as prizes for a challenge win or loss. Etc.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017

I sort of feel the same way about Gottmik. He's already a really successful celebrity makeup artist and it seems like a huge advantage. I mean, he called Paris Hilton at the end of his tutorial video for his Snatch Game look. It's just another level of privilege and access compared to 99% of the queens. That's not to take away from his hard work and accomplishments outside of drag. I think Gottmik is funny and the looks are truly sickening, but it can be hard to connect with someone who comes in that far ahead of everyone else.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I think a more interesting solution would be a totally in-house design season. Have Ru come out and say they lost all their luggage or something. Release some of it back as prizes for a challenge win or loss. Etc.
They'd have a revolt on their hands and the queens going apeshit, imagine spending $20.000+ on looks only for Rupaul to tell you you're not getting to wear any of it. If they make changes like that it has to be communicated before the queens start preparing, everything else would be cruel.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
They'd have a revolt on their hands and the queens going apeshit, imagine spending $20.000+ on looks only for Rupaul to tell you you're not getting to wear any of it. If they make changes like that it has to be communicated before the queens start preparing, everything else would be cruel.

It would mostly be show framing and some confessionals drama but will have been laid out to them before casting.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Project Runway has no problem giving its contestants a budget that they have to stick to, with receipts required. On a recent season someone tried to discount the custom-designed shoes (charging for materials but not design work) they wanted to use for the final runway and the producers simply said they couldn't do that, so the shoes didn't walk the runway.