• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about Utica's comments about not wanting to appropiate black culture. At first I was like "WTF is she saying?" but then I remembered how fucking toxic the fanbase is and I kind of understood why it's probably for the best that she will absolutely not wear anything that is remotely characteristic of black culture.

Ru, Symone, Bob and Monet can all claim "girl, don't be stupid, just come from a good place blabla" but they arent the ones at risk. it takes just one small thing gone wrong, something said with the wrong words, misunderstood or misplaced and you have Utica and her family receiving death threats, literally. Utica can't control the narrative (in other words, what edit she'll get). Pretty smart of her, I think.

I remember Brooklyn on Season 11, on her "poncho trick" runway, she entered the runway with a huge afro. I remember some youtube reviewers and similars criticizing it "very bad taste", "the afro should have been of a different color", and so on.

Could this be the reason Denali appearead yesterday wearing a wig that was so not Olivia?

Olivis is known for using big curly hair, what the fuck was that wig?

It makes even more sense after last week when people started getting all up in arms and claiming that Raven was blackfishing given how taned she looked.

Do these people NOT know who Raven is?

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I've been thinking about Utica's comments about not wanting to appropiate black culture. At first I was like "WTF is she saying?" but then I remembered how fucking toxic the fanbase is and I kind of understood why it's probably for the best that she will absolutely not wear anything that is remotely characteristic of black culture.

Ru, Symone, Bob and Monet can all claim "girl, don't be stupid, just come from a good place blabla" but they arent the ones at risk. it takes just one small thing gone wrong, something said with the wrong words, misunderstood or misplaced and you have Utica and her family receiving death threats, literally. Utica can't control the narrative (in other words, what edit she'll get). Pretty smart of her, I think.

I remember Brooklyn on Season 11, on her "poncho trick" runway, she entered the runway with a huge afro. I remember some youtube reviewers and similars criticizing it "very bad taste", "the afro should have been of a different color", and so on.

Could this be the reason Denali appearead yesterday wearing a wig that was so not Olivia?

Olivis is known for using big curly hair, what the fuck was that wig?

I dunno, I feel like this might be a little bit of a reach. A little bit (I see where you're coming from tho).

One, toxic Drag Race fans are going to be toxic, and we've seen in the past that they don't need much of reason. But, besides that...Bob Ross isn't exactly an unknown figure. Bob Ross is pretty iconic, in that even younger people know of him, and if you know Bob Ross at all, the thing you know about him is his iconic "white boy fro." Heck, I put "white boy fro" in quotes very intentionally, because it's an actual phrase, because Black people do know that some white people have frizzy enough hair textures to form natural fros.

Heck, a white character from the show Euphoria dressed up as Bob Ross in the Halloween episode, and nobody said anything about it.

Her going so out of her way avoiding that minefield caused her to inadvertently step on another one, imo, because now she has to explain why she replaced a man's afro-like hair texture with a pile of rodents. Heck, even after Lenovox explained it to me in here I was still like, "...ehhh, he didn't wear them in his hair though." Like, Utica would have had to really sell that in her bit. But she didn't. Instead, Black queer people watching the show dragged the shit out of her...and rightfully so from that perspective. The popular Black/Queer podcast The Read spent a whole segment on it. lol

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
CeC0rzB.jpg

You just have to laugh!

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta admit, I laughed when Michelle said Rosé looked horrible but that was ok because Tina has bad taste to begin with

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
Tina making bad fashion and make-up her "thing", what a mind. I also love that she didn't use a yellow/red outfit the one time it was 100% called for.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
I feel like I watched a different episode than most of you.
First the good: This is how the makeover challenge should be each season, where they at the very least can makeover someone who actually knows drag. No more being sabotaged from some rando who doesn't know what they're doing. Also, Symone and Utica fuckin crushed it.

The bad: Denali fully earned her place as the Jan of this season. I like Olivia but she clearly did the worst and the dress SHE chose prevented Denali from going all out in the lip sync. Denali was inarguably fucked over. But more importantly, I'm not sure how people thought Gottmik did well (aside from how she made up Kandy). If I didn't know it was a makeover challenge I would have said Gottmik was dressed as she usually dresses doing the poses she always does. In fact, this whole runway was so similar to how she acted last week. Also, would anyone have ever guessed that was a Kandy Muse outfit she was wearing? No fucking way. The two of them, once again, slipped on by this week and its getting really tiring. Even Kandy, who for most of the episode I was happy was not being hyper annoying, ruined it with that runway tantrum. I'm beyond over it.

Edit: Just saw the tweet showing that the dress did have a reveal in it, so disregard that portion of my post.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Just reading some critique and tweets and stuff (also just watched Trixie's pit stop), and there's one thing I do disagree with on the critiques of Olivia. Sure, it wasn't her best look, but I thought it was fine. And really, a good example of how hard it is to translate one drag queen's style onto another queen.

First of all, Olivia is just...gorgeous. She's fucking stunning. And not just in her facial features, but in how she carries her face and how she moves her body. She gives me total debutante vibes. If you told me Olivia had a drag mother and came up in traditional pageant-style drag I'd believe you, because that's how she carries herself, and that aura is hard to imitate. Looking at Denali, I could see all the components of Olivia, I just don't think Denali knew what to do with them. The signature Olivia eyebrows were there, and I disagree with Trixie and Nicky Doll about the dress. It was totally Olivia, did they miss her Yellow runway look? Olivia does ball gowns with huge adornments. But you gotta know how to work a ball gown like that, and Denali's walk was...so weird.

wars

Apr 26, 2020
Lisbon,Portugal
Olivia not giving Denali a tiny purse and Tina not dressing Rosé in red,orange and yellow were both crimes.

I ship Rosé and Denali so baaaad. I know that both of them have boyfriends or had boyfriends at that time but I still ship them.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think Tina and Rose should have been in the bottom, or if I'm honest a mix between them two and Olivia. The team judging was 😴 Olivia literally looked like Denali.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I think Tina and Rose should have been in the bottom, or if I'm honest a mix between them two and Olivia. The team judging was 😴 Olivia literally looked like Denali.

Tina and Rosé looked like each other. Tina made Rosé look exactly like her even.

Was it ugly as hell? Yes. Did they embody the challenge? Eh, they were mostly successful.

OP
OP
egg

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

When they came out me and my bff literally said holy shit she looks just like Denali. Really surprised Rose wasn't in Red and Yellow as well. Especially when in Tina's confessional she was even talking about how she only wears red and yellow, maybe a gold on occasion and yet Rose still went out in that.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was very much a case of looking like someone but not really "getting" their character.

Contrast with Symone and Utica who both successfully looked and acted like one another. They looked terrible but Tina and Rosé did manage that much.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I guess the mistake was Olivia is a pageant queen, but didn't project that on the show? So they must've had a make over look in mind previous to filming as per guidlines given to them before hand (as per the picture), and she stuck to that pageanty look rather than adjusting to the situation? So sucks for Denali I suppose.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
This is the worst season by a loooooooong distance for me

am I the only one who is enjoying this season more than S12??

I can't point at it, but there was something with S12 that didn't click with me, even though I admit, they were very talented.

Seeing early eliminations like Rock m Sakura and Nicky Doll, made me think "damn, this is season is gonna be tough" but then the queens had no chemistry and Jaida and Crystal were late bloomers, it felt like Gigi didn't have any competition. The Sherry Pie thing sucked ass and several episodes were boring as fuck. I never cared for the Britta/Aidan thing early on and several queens, while talented, felt like filler, (Jan).

Heidi n Closet was cool and funny though and Jacky's confessionals about her iranian heritage and her mom were genuinenly moving but that's about it.

I can surely say I prefer this season.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018

I can't point at it, but there was something with S12 that didn't click with me, even though I admit, they were very talented.

Seeing early eliminations like Rock m Sakura and Nicky Doll, made me think "damn, this is season is gonna be tough" but then the queens had no chemistry and Jaida and Crystal were late bloomers, it felt like Gigi didn't have any competition. The Sherry Pie thing sucked ass and several episodes were boring as fuck. I never cared for the Britta/Aidan thing early on and several queens, while talented, felt like filler, (Jan).

Heidi n Closet was cool and funny though and Jacky's confessionals about her iranian heritage and her mom were genuinenly moving but that's about it.

S12 was fucked by Sherry Pie, but honestly I liked most of the queens. I don't like a single one still left this season and I can't remember any of the ones who have been eliminated other than Denali who just left and Tamisha who was pretty average in the show. Kandy is the only one of the lot that's actually made an impression, unfortunately that impression is that I really dislike her.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
At the end of the day it doesn't fucking matter, ok!?
The bitch is safe, leave her the fuck alone.
I'mma worry about Heidi right now ok???
So fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, and fuck YOU!
I'mma worry about Heidi!

Wow, what a moment.

It's S12 for me.

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day it doesn't fucking matter, ok!?
The bitch is safe, leave her the fuck alone.
I'mma worry about Heidi right now ok???
So fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, and fuck YOU!
I'mma worry about Heidi!

Wow, what a moment.

It's S12 for me.

Jan hitting the shade button in the back. *chef's kiss*

Also, Widow's 'This is My Night' lipsync is one of the best in the show's history and I said what I said.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What i didnt get with the makeover, where are the ugly colors red, yellow and orange Tina uses all the time? I hate those colors on her so much, but its her thing, and then Rosé comes out int something green...

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
What i didnt get with the makeover, where are the ugly colors red, yellow and orange Tina uses all the time? I hate those colors on her so much, but its her thing, and then Rosé comes out in something green...
I'm so confused how Tina isn't getting read by the judges every week for coming out in the same colours every week...This is like a reverse Max situation

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Very fun episode. I wouldn't be opposed to this version of the makeover challenge happening again in the future, I though it was more entertaining than when they use random people.

Sad to see Denali go, but it was also a good time for her to leave. She'll definitely be back for an All Stars season.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
I think the show's formula is getting exhausted.

It does not help that this season lacks in personalities, outside of Kandy, which makes her overtake the whole narrative. S11 was trash but at least you had a bunch of big personalities then.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Grooming Raven to be her true successor. Raven back in All Stars 8 so she can win a crown.

Very fun episode. I wouldn't be opposed to this version of the makeover challenge happening again in the future, I though it was more entertaining than when they use random people.

Sad to see Denali go, but it was also a good time for her to leave. She'll definitely be back for an All Stars season.

I actually quite liked the challenge as well, despite not agreeing with the judges at all. Tina should totally be in the bottom. But it was a fun challenge, and I wouldn't mind if they kept it for future seasons on top of the regular make over challenge as well.

I think the show's formula is getting exhausted.

It does not help that this season lacks in personalities, outside of Kandy, which makes her overtake the whole narrative. S11 was trash but at least you had a bunch of big personalities then.

I don't think the formula is exhausted. Just have a look at UKDR2. To me it's the over production that kills any genuine spark that could happen naturally when you lock 13 Drag Queens in a room and make them compete with each other. UKDR has been a joy to watch, mostly because the queens seem more genuine and there are less produced moments, like Kandy staying after being eliminated, or Silky making it to top 4 when she should have been eliminated at least 5 episodes ago.

Denali is clearly a more versatile drag than Tina, but Tina is probably still there because she is a big name in NYC. I'd much rather see what Denali brings to the runway and challenges than what Tina brings. So when all those underwhelming queens stay and the interesting ones leave because they weren't loud or catty enough, of course the show is gonna suffer.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't hated this season but I'm quite patchy in my drag race fandom so I'm just happy to be watching things while it's still locked down. The cast has grown on me over the course of the season, even if I'm lacking an out and out favourite and the production choices are very visible. I get a feeling I won't remember too much but there's been some good stuff.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
US Drag Race has been stale for a couple seasons, it's only ever redeemed when they get a truly great batch of queens to carry it. The reason UK works so well is the culture shock of them just having a different approach to drag, the show feels different despite the formula being the same. On Drag Race US, queens have been conditions to essentially groom themselves for Drag Race, and it makes for a less interesting show because they aren't bringing themselves to it, they're bringing the Drag Race competitor version of themselves.

Every reality show has this issue after awhile. Survivor, Big Brother, etc. However in those cases the show will try to introduce a twist to the mechanics each season to keep things fresh and knock people off balance at least a little bit. Drag Race has never really done that, the show in S13 is by and large the exact same as it was when this formula got refined around S4.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
US Drag Race has been stale for a couple seasons, it's only ever redeemed when they get a truly great batch of queens to carry it. The reason UK works so well is the culture shock of them just having a different approach to drag, the show feels different despite the formula being the same. On Drag Race US, queens have been conditions to essentially groom themselves for Drag Race, and it makes for a less interesting show because they aren't bringing themselves to it, they're bringing the Drag Race competitor version of themselves.
I think you also have to factor in that the UK drag tradition is more about mouthy hosting and camp comedy (see: Lily Savage) rather than the US drag tradition of looks and lipsyncs that originates in the ball scene. UK drag queens generally have to be able to hold a room with their personalities, whereas for US queens it's not as much of a basic requirement as, say, turning a killer lipsync.

It's a tradition that naturally breeds strong personalities that need less production to create good TV. The production is still clearly visible in the format, but the interactions feel more organic than on US Drag Race where, as you say, the queens are manufacturing TV personalities for themselves.

(It also helps that the UK has a long tradition of panel shows, so you grow up watching comedians getting together and slagging each other off on TV.)

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
I lost interest since last year. The format is so tired, but queens are always so much joy to watch, so I'm conflicted. Now I basically just only watch the Pit Stop recaps.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
I lost interest since last year. The format is so tired, but queens are always so much joy to watch, so I'm conflicted. Now I basically just only watch the Pit Stop recaps.

I've been doing this off and on for a few seasons now.

Another thing that bothers me about the US show is how so much of it now falls to queens working with a team of people to prepare for the show. I genuinely like Gottmik and was a fan even before the show, but her connections outside of drag give her such a huge advantage in terms of seeming prepared and polished. Like she regularly films her YouTube videos with the help of James Charles, and in her most recent one she FaceTimed with Paris Hilton. I appreciate the flex, but how do other queens even begin to compete at that level? Success on the show is less about drag and more about marketing now, and it feels fake.

Oct 25, 2017

Another thing that bothers me about the US show is how so much of it now falls to queens working with a team of people to prepare for the show. I genuinely like Gottmik and was a fan even before the show, but her connections outside of drag give her such a huge advantage in terms of seeming prepared and polished. Like she regularly films her YouTube videos with the help of James Charles, and in her most recent one she FaceTimed with Paris Hilton. I appreciate the flex, but how do other queens even begin to compete at that level? Success on the show is less about drag and more about marketing now, and it feels fake.

I still watch the show but this is precisely why I don't like to rate some queens. It's clear that some queens have the money and means to make it out of drag race and without drag race, yet come on the show so amazingly polished and done up that it seems entirely unfair. I agree with you on Gottmik entirely. When they said he went to fashion school and has painted faces of some stars, I was kind of like "Then why is he here?" I don't get this.

But maybe he needs the validation of drag race. Idk, but I need Symone to win. If not her, Utica or Kandy. That's it. Gotmik really doesn't need this.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
The show really needs to rebalance the challenges. Looking at past seasons and drag race uk, at least a third of the challenges are design based. Compared to current seasons, we're lucky to get 2 of those.

With singing, acting, dancing challenges, it's easy for the production to meddle because they can edit around or flat out ignore the mediocre performances, Sewing and comedy?You can't really make those work when they fail.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I want more design challenges. Season 3 was so good for that. I wanna see queens hot gluing shit and their outfits either somehow holding together beautifully or looking a disaster. Couture stunning pieces perfectly made with rarer materials by a known designer will never be as interesting as a queen who can't sew for shit struggling and pulling off a decent outfit by some miracle.

I want more straight up bitches in the cast too. Rajah O'Hara was decent but not around long enough nor talented enough to back up her talk. Gia has performed well in her appearances and I loved Phi Phi for the stupid drama alone.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I want more straight up bitches in the cast too. Rajah O'Hara was decent but not around long enough nor talented enough to back up her talk. Gia has performed well in her appearances and I loved Phi Phi for the stupid drama alone.
But then we're back to them being scared to show that side of themselves because of all the 14 year olds sending them death threats on instagram and twitter.

I don't think the start of this season helped, they tried to shake it up but all it did is make the pacing feel really drawn out and sluggish. And not that it's their fault, but going back and forth between S13 and UK S2 just highlights it even more.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Agree that we need more design challenges.

With singing, acting, dancing challenges, it's easy for the production to meddle because they can edit around or flat out ignore the mediocre performances, Sewing and comedy?You can't really make those work when they fail.

I mean, La La Ri stayed!

And Tina wasn't in the bottom this week.

Production gonna produce!

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Agree that we need more design challenges.

I mean, La La Ri stayed!

And Tina wasn't in the bottom this week.

Production gonna produce!
Lala won that lip sync hands down, and while Tina and Rose looked bad, they still looked like each other

Olivia meanwhile looked more like Divine than Denali

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018

Really, James Charles? Even more reason to dislike Gottmik then.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The show really needs to rebalance the challenges. Looking at past seasons and drag race uk, at least a third of the challenges are design based. Compared to current seasons, we're lucky to get 2 of those.

Honestly, I would kill to see a spin off that's a hybrid Drag Race/ Project Runway. Just make them all design challenges and let them model themselves (and maybe some others for certain challenges).

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
I want more design challenges. Season 3 was so good for that.

There probably needs to be juuuust a bit more balance than what they had on Season 3. The last design challenge episode of Season 3 had like, what, three mental breakdowns? 🤣 The look on the girls' faces as Ru tells them all what the challenge is for that week lives rent free in my head.

That top four went through it.