• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Guess Classic will come over as well at some point

Early 2021.

Press release:

Jagex said:
RUNESCAPE AND OLD SCHOOL RUNESCAPE ARE HEADING TO STEAM

Celebrated UK developer and publisher of living games continues to expand its reach as RuneScape heads towards its 20th birthday

Thursday 24th September 2020, Cambridge, UK – After nearly 20 years of being exclusively available from the RuneScape website, the PC and Mac editions of the iconic MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape will soon be available on the Steam platform.

RuneScape will debut on Steam on October 14th 2020, while the classic version Old School RuneScape will follow early in 2021, Jagex announced today.

The Steam debut of RuneScape will offer bespoke membership packages and achievements, while a dedicated support team will maintain a RuneScape Community Hub for Steam users, including weekly announcements, guides, articles, artwork and videos.

Phil Mansell, Jagex CEO, said:

"Jagex is on a mission to bring the RuneScape universe to more players globally. Following our games' arrival on mobile stores, we are now expanding the availability of the desktop versions. Making them accessible to the Steam community is an important step in achieving this goal. We're excited to see RuneScape debut on Steam from October 14th and look forward to Old School RuneScape's arrival next year, as we enable even more gamers to access and explore our rich and engaging living game worlds."

As RuneScape approaches its 20th year of operation as an ever-evolving living game, the franchise has welcomed almost 285 million player accounts to its online fantasy world of Gielinor – and reported its highest-ever player membership numbers earlier this year.

The RuneScape Coming Soon store page is now live on Steam, where players can Wishlist the game and be notified as soon as it's released.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
The bigger news from this thread is me learning OSRS is hitting Steam in 2021. Stoked for that.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Seems weird seeing lots of games traditionally on other launchers or standalone games coming to Steam lately. Cool though.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
OSRS being on steam is cool but everyone uses a third party client anyway, dunno if this will allow that

Philosopher

Sep 5, 2018
Played this game religiously for years back in the day. I log in like twice a year and I am always dissappointed in all of the microtransactions and loot box mechanics. Hopefully they update those as well as I am still a big fan of the world and stories

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I see this name I feel the urge to finally complete all Quests. One day... Pretty cool to see it on Steam, couldn't have imagined that back in 2007. Good old days using SwitchKit or whatever.

I wish they could have overhauled this game into something playable with a controller over the years, or made a spin off, because I loved the world and lore so much.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Very happy, this might actually get new people to join the game.

I recommend it heavily over OSRS for the sole reason that it's WAY less of a grind. If you have lots of time though and you're more in it for the nostalgia OSRS will probably be your thing. Think it's coming next year on Steam if reddit is to be believed.

The MTX stuff in RS3 is heavily overblown. Not that it's not a problem - but it permeates RS3 discussion to the point that no one actually discusses the merits of the game over OS. It's a shame, though I obviously understand why.

Kaloskatoa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The MTX stuff in RS3 is heavily overblown. Not that it's not a problem - but it permeates RS3 discussion to the point that no one actually discusses the merits of the game over OS. It's a shame, though I obviously understand why.

Yeah, I understand why some people hate the microtransactions, but it's really not as bad as people make them out to be.

In fact, it's very very easy to play runescape 3 without spending a dime, even in membership. Just doing dailies grants players so much cash, that you can buy your subscription through bonds you buy from other players. I personally ignore the whole mtx aspect and I have a lot of fun.

I think rs3 is great and it had some very awesome update these past few years.