• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
yes it's categorically better than Stardew to me but we are talking combat in farming sims so ehh it's fine nothing spectacular but gets the job done. Several weapon types that level up with use and you learn new abilities for the weapons. It feels like Secret of Mana combat actually - you hit the nail on the head for me on that lol.

Then it's perfect! I love basic Harvest Moon farming stuff, I like RPG interactions with NPCs, and I like Secret of Mana.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Then it's perfect! I love basic Harvest Moon farming stuff, I like RPG interactions with NPCs, and I like Secret of Mana.

Then welcome to heaven!
Actually I think RF4 is probably my favorite farming game ever - adding fantasy elements and action rpg stuff basically combines all my favorite things into 1 game.
I am super stoked to get info on RF5. I thought we would never get another one of these after the 3DS days passed :)

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
A good early tip that is a consistent money maker is to Farm the Purple Grass the grows outside of town to the west. Purple Grass on it's own sells for 5G which isn't very much however one can be crafted into Heavy Spice via Chemistry.

Heavy Spice can be sold for 180 Gold, and you can get 4 to 6 Purple Grass everyday.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone accidently throw a stack of crops while trying to pick them up? While I was out gathering stuff in the field I unintentionally threw an item at a Wooly and tamed it instantly without needing to brush it.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Years later now, is this game still crack? How has it aged?

I dropped DQ builders 2 because there was wayyy too much dialogue and it didn't let me play much. I really like harvest moon and I'm looking for a farming sim with lots of uninterrupted gameplay time.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
God I'm already addicted again. One of my favourite games of all time so I'm super happy to have it on Switch.

This is where I'm at. It's been a few years since I last played, so I mostly remembered that I loved the game and it was one of my top 3ds games, but playing it again, I forgot how much I enjoyed it. It's just so easy to lose hours upon hours to it. The Gameplay loop of farming, crafting, taming, and dungeoning is just addicting in a way other farming Sim type games can never really capture for me.

I'm so hyped for 5, damn.

Years later now, is this game still crack? How has it aged

Def feels like a 3ds port, but I think it looks fine in portable mode tbh. Doesn't detract for me at all, though, I did go in knowing what to expect. Otherwise, still as addicting as it ever was. Easy to start playing and then suddenly be like, "fuck, it's 4am..." lmao

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
I just started yesterday and I'm currently leveling up throw and walk through the tutorial "bug" infinite energy thingy, to get a headstart.

After that, Should I worry that I miss any event or just relaxedly play and have no worries about missing certain special days or whatever?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I just started yesterday and I'm currently leveling up throw and walk through the tutorial "bug" infinite energy thingy, to get a headstart.

After that, Should I worry that I miss any event or just relaxedly play and have no worries about missing certain special days or whatever?
Other than festival and story events, the town events are fairly random in their occurrence so no need to rush yourself.

I know some guides were posted already but here are content specific ones from fogu as well.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Asked before but nobody answered. I only played RF1 which I quite liked, how much improvement did the series had up until 4?

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
I only played frontier before, but content wise, qol, combat system, etc I think this is superior in everything (graphics aside).
I reaaaally want to see RF5 soon...

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thats good to know, how did the dialogue and character interaction imrpoved? Thast probably what im more interested in.

Iirc in RF1 character usually came up with new stuff to say after you got their FP up. In RF4 people almost always have something new to say every day. There's more festivals too, events and story and such.

Dec 14, 2017
Ok... how the heck do you split a stack in this game? Also, why is this dead simple in Stardew and non Japanese versions of these games but needlessly unintuitive in this and Doraemon?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Ok... how the heck do you split a stack in this game? Also, why is this dead simple in Stardew and non Japanese versions of these games but needlessly unintuitive in this and Doraemon?
Have at least one open spot in your bag, select the item stack you want to split, and click that same item again and it should start putting singles from the stack in other item slots.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
It seems getting a physical copy of this game is quite a challenge.

Dec 14, 2017
Have at least one open spot in your bag, select the item stack you want to split, and click that same item again and it should start putting singles from the stack in other item slots.
That simply brings up the option to hold. It doesn't split anything. And then I'm holding the whole stack.

(edit add)
Okay, I got it now.

Last edited:

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot how powerful those giant chickens were, went to try and get some fodder and got instantly splat haha

I'm planning to woo Arther and Leon and decide between the both of them who I want to marry. Arther already has 5 hearts for me and it's the middle of spring and I haven't met Leon yet. Guess that's what happens when I shove turnips in his face every morning since he loves them!

Oct 25, 2017
Addiction mode—ENGAGE!

The gameplay loop here is so much more satisfying than that of Stardew or Portia. Truly among the apex of the genre.

And being able to play it on a television is wonderful. It's still ugly as sin, but it's so much easier to navigate and build out a mental map in my head of where everything is.

When I checked earlier, this was 29th on the U.S. eShop chart. I really hope it can keep climbing, because this is one of the best hidden gem games ever <3

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I've been playing some Stardew mixed with this the last 2 days and one thing is very apparent:
The character movement speed in RF4 is a godsend and is one of the silly reasons I like RF4 more :)
The act of just getting around is zippy and I'm never worried about how long it will take me to run somewhere.

Other nice things:
—you begin with a free teleport back to town
—your RP at the start allow you to do far more in a day , to me at least. Food is also easy to start making early so you can refill when needed.

All these little conveniences really add up to a package that is so great/convenient and I think these little touches set this apart from other farming games.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I think I got charged like 400 for trying to hit the giant chicken. Haven't started second dungeon yet so that was expensive to me.

I forget if it's random or if it's based on a percentage of how much money you currently have. I know it cost me about 970-ish for the fee. Definitely pricy!

———
I forgot how easy it was to make money with the chemistry set! Heavy spice requires only lvl 10 skill with the chem set and requires just a single purple grass. Tons of them spawn daily in the areas near the entrance to the town and it takes a grass that sells for just 5g info an item that sells for 180+!

MegamanFreak

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing some Stardew mixed with this the last 2 days and one thing is very apparent:
The character movement speed in RF4 is a godsend and is one of the silly reasons I like RF4 more :)
The act of just getting around is zippy and I'm never worried about how long it will take me to run somewhere.

Other nice things:
—you begin with a free teleport back to town
—your RP at the start allow you to do far more in a day , to me at least. Food is also easy to start making early so you can refill when needed.

All these little conveniences really add up to a package that is so great/convenient and I think these little touches set this apart from other farming games.

If you thought you can walk fast now...wait till you can craft some jet boots. You will literally be zipping all over the place.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably pick this up sometime soon, but with Animal Crossing around the corner it'll be hard to juggle, lol

Dec 14, 2017
I love this game, but the difficulty curve between the first boss and the horse in the second one is steep! I keep losing money and ending up in the clinic.

I guess I should just focus on farming and getting the forge and work table?

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
The struggle for lumber is real. Visit the summer field every day and do to it I'm swimming in stone but at most I get 4-5 lumber a day from it. Arther sells lumber but they are 500g each and I'll pass haha

mrmojo228

Dec 3, 2018
It's my first Rune Factory game and can confirm, game is really good. The variety of gameplay keeps things fresh and all types work well. It kinda feels more like playing a fantasy RPG and farming sim hybrid than most other farming games.

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
Well, the messenger fucked up and I didn't get the game today, typical no one at home when there was someone at home... So at least 4 more days to get it... T_T

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
AAAAAHHHHHH

My farm got hit by a big storm and I lost like half my crops. But I needed more lumber and stone anyway, so it's all good. At least it happened before I started planting my second field!