• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget to download the Another Episode DLC while it's still free (till 3/24)

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Xita Thanks for the DLC heads-up, didn't know.

couple of in game days wouldnt hurt. It was just 8:30PM after all.

Then I needed one more day to earn enough funds to buy something... then another day to clear that last part of a dungeon so I could unlock a shortcut... then one more day so I wouldn't forget to buy the Elegant Refrigerator... and hey presto its 1:10AM. 🤢

RIP to the start of my work day tommorow.
Damn. Exactly what I'm looking for (and fearing).

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I'm so hyped for this. Much more appealing to me than Animal Crossing so I don't have to worry about getting burnt out on a similar type of game since I won't even be picking that up (Don't kill me AC fans.)

off topic but I've been wondering, do you guys think they'll go the full 3D style for RF5? In the teaser last summer the monster designs they showed looked awfully like they'd be in a 3D environment.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
SV also allows for same-sex relationships whereas RF4 does not.
They never fixed that, but focused on adding "newlywed" content instead? Fuck this.

Does this still have the postgame avatar/model-swap options that the original did?
If so, you can engineer a same-sex marriage provided you don't mind playing through the story as the opposite sec first.
Probably, but it's a shit solution to something they could have easily fixed.
I remember on 3DS you had to hack your save to enable the model swap option, play through the intro as the wrong sex up to the point that you can use it, and then spend the entire game being misgendered, if you wanted "same-sex" relationships.

Considering that the game already has male and female romance options, it really shouldn't have been difficult to make the necessary changes to fix this. Or even do something really bare-bones like letting you model-swap right from the start of the game.

Nov 5, 2019
It is SO tempting to double dip but I've already had a satisfying experience. It doesn't look like they changed core fundamentals like how to level up your battle partners and such which makes them fall off at end game.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
What's the framerate like? I recall the 3DS version running with a 60 FPS cap but it wasn't exactly consistent.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Why did I even have the idea that Wal-mArt was even going to have it in stock on release day. 🙄

Off to Amazon, then.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I just got the notification that mine's ready for pickup at Best Buy. I've never played a Rune Factory game, despite having bought the original on DS (and I think my wife has one for PS3). I loved stardew, though, and have started enjoying slower paced games with farming/crafting a lot more than I did when RF1 dropped.

Can't wait for the 4:00 escape from the office!

wildbite

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the heads up about the DLC. I assumed it downloaded when I purchased the game. I have been debating for weeks whether to buy this game or wait for a sale. I played the original on the 3DS but didn't think I needed to play it again. The swimsuit pre-order bonus got me to buy it because I have fear of missing out. I also have such great memories with the original game.

When I unlocked the spirit swap on my first play through, it felt strange to change my character model after spending so many hours with her. But I recently read that once you unlock this, it unlocks for your other saves. This way I can start a brand new save after, swap to the male sprite and then play as a gay man from the start. I hope this feature is true.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good game

ERpaybBU4AAHQjJ

Playing in handheld mode, and while the models do indeed look ugly the sprites look really nice on the screen

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the only one who loves/has Tides of Destiny as their favorite Rune Factory game, I absolutely adored it and put hundreds of hours into it and got the platinum.

Just picked this up this morning and can't wait to spend another 100+ hours into this version of the game
The Limited edition is beautiful and the artbook is one of the prettiest/nicest artbooks I've ever owned.

I forgot the game limits you to only 6 characters for your characters name so I settled for Minako (someone has to keep her alive since Atlus is determined to erase the best Persona Protag from existence 😢)

Also seems that Vic no longer voices Vishnal.

image0.jpg

Also this never ceases to make me laugh

ERp-IHxc-U4-AEjbx-U-jpg-large.jpg

I'm a child I know haha

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the only one who loves/has Tides of Destiny as their favorite Rune Factory game, I absolutely adored it and put hundreds of hours into it and got the platinum.

Just picked this up this morning and can't wait to spend another 100+ hours into this version of the game
The Limited edition is beautiful and the artbook is one of the prettiest/nicest artbooks I've ever owned.

I forgot the game limits you to only 6 characters for your characters name so I settled for Minako (someone has to keep her alive since Atlus is determined to erase the best Persona Protag from existence 😢)

image0.jpg

I'm a child I know haha

It's okay, I laughed too

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018

image0.jpg

I'm a child I know haha
I love Tides of Destiny too but I get why some Rune Factory fans don't like it. It almost completely removes one of the bigger selling points of the franchise.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
It's okay, I laughed too

R1fdEt3.gif

I love Tides of Destiny too but I get why some Rune Factory fans don't like it. It almost completely removes one of the bigger selling points of the franchise.

Yeah, I definitely see why people may not like it, the farming was definitely an afterthought and it was weird how they handled being able to chose whether to play as a boy or girl, but despite those 2 things I loved it and had so much fun. Was neat seeing the series first taste of being in HD as well, also no more runey system from the previous game Frontier! haha I just seem to not see many people like it as much as I do haha

I wasn't sure if they were going to do it or not but it's neat to see! The new voice actor, at least to me with the first few lines of Vishnal, sounds very close to Vic so It definitely confused me at first haha

Vishnal was the character I married in the 3DS version and I love his character but I don't think I could do it again if things weren't changed so glad that's not the case.

-----

I know it's a enhanced port of a 3DS games but the 2D artwork/character shots look so lovely in HD and in handheld mode, even the 3D character models, while still looking like a 3DS game look really nice, everything is even nicer then I expected!

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Ok I just started playing.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this game, and I know it's a remaster of a 3DS game, and I am not a picky graphics person but...
Holy shit this looks like someone turned on one of those graphic filters on a SNES emulator. I don't know how else to put OT, the objects lying in your field just look terrible :(

So, the graphics are uhhh unfortunate or at least the method chosen here, but as long as the game is the same as 3DS, I'll be playing happily. I'm just a bit shocked at the look on display here!

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Rune Factory 3 is one of my favorite DS games, and it might be my favorite farming game period. For some reason I never played through 4 though. It must have come out at a busy time or something. I am excited to finally play it.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Is someone can confirm there's French language in the NA version? It could be a nice placeholder for my daughter while waiting for Animal Crossing. Thanks!

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is someone can confirm there's French language in the NA version? It could be a nice placeholder for my daughter while waiting for Animal Crossing. Thanks!
J'ai pas encore commencé, mais je ne crois pas, il y a un option pour les voix en anglais ou japonais, je ne vois pas d'option pour le texte.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Didn't expect to start liking an NPC this fast. Volkanon got me once he told me he'll always be on my side.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
thank god this is 60FPS. If it wasn't there would be absolutely no excuse lol.

Also I am glad the menus are still as snappy and responsive as I remember.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Had the game installed since last week, but I won't get too much of a chance to play it until later in the week. This will be my first Rune Factory (and by proxy, first Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons style game), hopefully I get some good out of this.

Also, are any of the bachelorettes dark skin?

a glitch

Dec 12, 2018
Are there any story differences depending on what gender you choose the main character to be beyond marriage choices? I'm still not sure which one I'll go for and I have 2-3 days to think about it.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Do the marriage candidates actually have interesting personalities? Like, are you likely to be charmed by one of them, or will you just end up picking one because of plot or gameplay reasons?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
They really did a straight port here, huh? One of the NPCs was explaining where her flower shop was and told me to look for the flower icon ON THE BOTTOM SCREEN.

😂

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Do the marriage candidates actually have interesting personalities? Like, are you likely to be charmed by one of them, or will you just end up picking one because of plot or gameplay reasons?
The writing of the characters is where Rune Factory excels above all else and that's still true here. Even the non-candidates are charming.

Also the game puts no real focus on any one candidate over the others and the gameplay benefits are minor so it's really completely up to your personal preference.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
The writing of the characters is where Rune Factory excels above all else and that's still true here. Even the non-candidates are charming.

Also the game puts no real focus on any one candidate over the others and the gameplay benefits are minor so it's really completely up to your personal preference.
That's good to hear - thanks!

OP
OP
hersheyfan

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
They really did a straight port here, huh? One of the NPCs was explaining where her flower shop was and told me to look for the flower icon ON THE BOTTOM SCREEN.

😂
That ties in to one of my only beefs with the game, honestly: they worked around the map issue by having it be a toggle on the L2 button (no map > small minimap > huge ass map that fades out when it obstructs your character view).

The "middle ground" minimap is pretty small on an NSW Lite screen! Have to squint a bit to make out some of the icons... I mean, it's definitely workable, and I understand they had few better options, but it's still annoying. I'll probably just upload my save data and play this on the OG NSW.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
This is my first RF game and I literally can't put it down. Like, my hands are fucking claws. This'll definitely do until Animal Crossing.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
I made a huge mistake. I've been looking forward to this game since the remaster was announced. I was super disappointed when it was delayed - I've only played Rune Factory Frontier and loved it (until the horrible runey management).

This was my mistake: a few days ago I started my second Stardew Valley play through because I was craving some farming sim action. When I started up RF4 today, it was just disappointing. The farming graphics are horrible. There doesn't feel like there is much of a spirit of place to the town. The NPCs so far are bland and boring.

I'm willing to bet if I hadn't if returned to Stardew, I wouldn't be having these complaints. Not sure what to do about it. Might have to just come back to it this summer or something.

OP
OP
hersheyfan

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
This is my first RF game and I literally can't put it down. Like, my hands are fucking claws. This'll definitely do until Animal Crossing.
Welcome to the club. Does the heart good to see new fans coming in!

I made a huge mistake. I've been looking forward to this game since the remaster was announced. I was super disappointed when it was delayed - I've only played Rune Factory Frontier and loved it (until the horrible runey management).

This was my mistake: a few days ago I started my second Stardew Valley play through because I was craving some farming sim action. When I started up RF4 today, it was just disappointing. The farming graphics are horrible. There doesn't feel like there is much of a spirit of place to the town. The NPCs so far are bland and boring.

I'm willing to bet if I hadn't if returned to Stardew, I wouldn't be having these complaints. Not sure what to do about it. Might have to just come back to it this summer or something.
Don't give up so quickly! It's a bit of a slow starter, but I assure you this game has a lot of depth. I'm also a huge Stardew Valley fan, but I personally prefer this game overall.

How long have you played so far?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
As a tip to new players, make sure to stop by Porcoline in the restaurant and ask to buy cooking tools. He will give you a simple tool for free and the cooking licenses will be available to do.