• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How much voice acting is in this? Is it just a few key lines and some grunts, or is it fully voiced?

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Mine came in at lunch! I can't wait to play it after work. I put in obscene hours in the original.

Have the random event triggers been modified? I never actually got several of the events despite 400+ hours of play in the original and I do not want to do that save scumming BS to see it. :|

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Fuck why'd this come at the same time as Zero Collection

I'm gonna buy it and forget to play it like the 3DS version

better framerate has me excited. The performance on all the 3DS farming games was absolutely horrific.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
What a fantastic OP hersheyfan !!! I'm so glad you volunteered to do it when I couldn't cause wow I love it! :D

I especially love the timeline you added. Makes me want to play RFF and Tides of Destiny again :(

Oct 25, 2017
Mine came in at lunch! I can't wait to play it after work. I put in obscene hours in the original.

Have the random event triggers been modified? I never actually got several of the events despite 400+ hours of play in the original and I do not want to do that save scumming BS to see it. :|

Oh I thought release date was tomorrow? What region are you in?

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, the best way to earn money in the game early on is to
sell turnips and sheep skins.
Later on the best bang for your buck is
Milk and harvesting strawberries, although I was always a corn guy

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
anyway i'll have a review up tomorrow if my editor (and my work day) is cooperative, please look forward to it

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure it's only Nintendo published games that release at midnight. So unless this is published by Nintendo then it will not be our tonight.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure it's only Nintendo published games that release at midnight. So unless this is published by Nintendo then it will not be our tonight.
Nintendo is fairly vague about it and says "some third-party titles are not available until 12:00 PM PT on the game's release date":

What happens when a game is pre-loaded?
A non-playable version of the game will be pre-loaded to your system at the time of your order. You'll see an icon for the game on your HOME menu, but you will not be able to launch the game until it is officially released. You'll be able to start playing it after downloading a small update, beginning at 12:00 AM ET on the game's release date. (Please note that some third-party titles are not available until 12:00 PM PT on the game's release date.)

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
how is this compared to stardew valley?
The farm isn't as central to things but its absolutely there with lots to grow and animals/monsters to manage.

You can choose many different weapon types, craft tons of food/weapons/gear/potions, level a ridiculous amount of skills, give gifts to villagers, tame monsters, have your tamed monsters help with farm chores, take the villagers dungeon diving with you, etc.

I believe theres some weird endgame stuff I never got to like growing swords and dungeons on your farm aswell. Yes, I said that.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the great OT! :D This game definitely has me conflicted though, the nature of the game lends itself well to getting it Digital but the art makes me yearn for the physical release, especially since I only have the 3DS version digitally aswell because Europe :(

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Seems like the kind of game I'd love from the gameplay aspect, but every time I look at some footage it seems very off-putting. Maybe it's because I'm playing recettear right now and I really like the artstyle there, but this is just visually ugly to me. The area with the crops specially, since everything seems to clash there, but the battle animations also look clunky.

It makes me want to wait for the 5th entry to see if it fares better, but I imaginea re-release with more content like this will probably feel like the more complete experience when comparing the two...

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It makes me want to wait for the 5th entry to see if it fares better, but I imaginea re-release with more content like this will probably feel like the more complete experience when comparing the two...
Given RF4 was originally on 3DS and released almost 8 years ago, I'd surely hope RF5 feels like a more complete experience once it's out. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed my time with RF4, but it's very much a product of the system it was on and the time when it was released.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Seems like the kind of game I'd love from the gameplay aspect, but every time I look at some footage it seems very off-putting. Maybe it's because I'm playing recettear right now and I really like the artstyle there, but this is just visually ugly to me. The area with the crops specially, since everything seems to clash there, but the battle animations also look clunky.

Speaking personally, I got used to the graphics very fast. They're bad but not so bad as they distract from the addictive gameplay and fun writing.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

god, i want a recettear sequel on switch so bad

moonlighter doesnt count

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Any issues with me diving in here? Coming in through Amazon tomorrow but I haven't played any of these games before.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I've never played a rune factory--was thinking about trying this out, but now it's super close to AC + i'm crazy busy, so whether or not I bite the bullet later depends on one thing: can you be gay?
Not in a non-conditional sense. You would have to pick the opposite sex of the character you want to marry, beat the game, use the model switcher feature to pick the other player character model, and then you can marry the character you want.

OP
OP
hersheyfan

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Thanks for the greetings, all. Hope you liked my half a day rush job effort. 😅 Sorry for the delayed replies btw, I went to bed right after I clicked post thread lol.

Can the dlc be downloaded without owning the game? I was going to get this as a gift for my sister, but she already owned the 3ds version so I got her snack world instead. And she decided to use her money on pokemon mystery dungeon instead and wait to get this when its on sale. Can I download the dlc for her just to claim it on my account while its free for when she eventually gets the game.
If it works like every other NSW game with DLC (and I see no reason why it shouldn't) you can download the free DLC without having to buy the game. Then it'll be available on your account to play when you get the actual game.

Is there any reports on the text size in handheld? I saw somewhere at some point that someone said the text is incredibly smll in handheld.
From my personal experience, the text size is perfectly serviceable. I'm playing on my Switch Lite btw, so I imagine if I used my OG NSW the text would be even bigger. This definitely isnt a Fire Emblem: Three Houses level issue.

What a fantastic OP hersheyfan !!! I'm so glad you volunteered to do it when I couldn't cause wow I love it! :D

I especially love the timeline you added. Makes me want to play RFF and Tides of Destiny again :(
I know! When I was gathering the assets to make the timeline (and the OP) I started thinking about my nearly ten year old Tides of Destiny save file, and became curious about how easily I could get back into the swing of things. The PS3 is still hooked up...

... then I remembered I was dead tired and nixed the idea. 😁

Any issues with me diving in here? Coming in through Amazon tomorrow but I haven't played any of these games before.
Nah, its perfectly fine! The game holds your hand quite a bit in the early going, its not too intimidating for a beginner I'd say.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
I was watching a video on the Mac and was disappointed in the graphics. But then I realized I had it full screen on my iMac 5k. I kind shrunk the window to the Switxh's handheld dimensions (I pretty much only play handheld) and realized it was totally fine that way.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'd like a remaster of Frontier and Tides of Destiny.

But they absolutely must ditch the Runey system in Frontier imo.

Either way I'm super excited for this! Though I have to wait til next month cause my delivery date was changed to March.

johnyqd

Nov 13, 2017
After leaving SDV for some time and becoming paralyzed trying to decide whether to continue my 3 year old farm or start a new one... Rune Factory comes at a perfect time. I've bought and pre-loaded copies for both my wife and I.

As you leave the city for the first time an NPC will approach and talk to you about weapons, then ask if you have a weapon already. I think you start with a short sword. Even though you have a weapon respond "NO" and you'll get a free broadsword.

Really excited!

OP
OP
hersheyfan

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I was watching a video on the Mac and was disappointed in the graphics. But then I realized I had it full screen on my iMac 5k. I kind shrunk the window to the Switxh's handheld dimensions (I pretty much only play handheld) and realized it was totally fine that way.
Well, its a facelifted port of a 2013 3DS game, so the graphics won't blow you away... and it doesnt come across well in screenshots. But when you're playing it doesn't really distract for some reason, it feels fine.

I'd like a remaster of Frontier and Tides of Destiny.

But they absolutely must ditch the Runey system in Frontier imo.

Either way I'm super excited for this! Though I have to wait til next month cause my delivery date was changed to March.
Yeah, I saw your post in the other thread, thats too bad. Did they explain what caused the delay? That's a helluva shift in delivery date.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
Got this coming in tomorrow. Got the 3DS version on a sale. Played it for a bit, kept getting my ass handed to me on an early boss battle (Dolce I think), and then immediately after, a Nintendo Direct proceeded to show me that I wasted $20 on a 3DS eshop sale lol

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I am so sorry. Unfortunately you can not be gay. So sad...
Nah aside from a model swap later in the game
Not in a non-conditional sense. You would have to pick the opposite sex of the character you want to marry, beat the game, use the model switcher feature to pick the other player character model, and then you can marry the character you want.

Aaaaaah tragedy--I'll just wait for the new SOS, thanks guys!

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Excited for this! Should make the wait for Animal Crossing easier. I hope it unlocks at 9!

Oct 25, 2017
Nah aside from a model swap later in the game

So this is only possible in NG+ then? If so, does NG+ have any other compelling features?

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So this is only possible in NG+ then? If so, does NG+ have any other compelling features?

There are 3 story arcs. You unlock the model swap feature at the end of the second one. It's been 7 years so my memory might be failing me but I don't remember it taking that long to beat the first two arcs either.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I'm glad they added gay marriage to the Friends of Mineral Town remake but it's pretty lame they didn't do the same here. Hopefully they'll get with it for Rune Factory 5.