• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines

Rune-Factory-4-Splash-Page.jpg

A game originally developed by
Neverland-Logo.png

1993 - 2013

Release Date:
July 25th, 2019 (JP)
February 25th, 2020 (US)
February 28th, 2020 (EU)

Platform: Nintendo Switch
Genre: Farming / Action RPG
Price: $39.99 (Digital, Standard Edition), $59.99 (Archival Edition)
Published by Xseed Games (WW), Marvelous AQL (JP)

Install size:
Digital: 5.2GB
Physical (as of patch version 1.01): 45.2 MB

Purchase links: Nintendo eShop, Amazon,
XSeed Games

[Please excuse me if the OT looks a little simple, I threw this together in a couple of hours after I saw no one else claimed it a day before release.]
For the benefit of those of us just joining the RF4 community for the first time, let's use spoiler tags where needed!

Header-History-Lesson.png

Rune Factory is an offshoot series of the popular Harvest Moon series of farming games, with a larger focus on combat and fantasy elements. With installments across several platforms (Rune Factory 1, 2 & 3 for the Nintendo DS, Rune Factory Frontier for the Wii, Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny for the PS3/Wii, and most recently Rune Factory 4 for the Nintendo 3DS), the series had built up an appreciative niche fanbase who loved its particular off-kilter take on the farming genre.

Rune-Factory-Series-Timeline.jpg

As you can see in the diagram above, a prodigious number of series installments got released within a relatively short amount of time. Unfortunately, long time Rune Factory series developer Neverland Co. ended up going bankrupt in November 2013 (the month after RF4's US release), and while the developers were ultimately absorbed into Marvelous AQL, fans were understandably worried about the future of the Rune Factory franchise. Thankfully, the 2/13/2019 Nintendo Direct assuaged those fears, confirming both a remastered re-release of Rune Factory 4 (a full 7 years after the original), and, incredibly, a full blown numbered sequel in Rune Factory 5. The first of those two announcements has come to pass, with the US release of Rune Factory 4 Special – we're about to find out if there's still a place for an OG like Rune Factory sales-wise in a post-Stardew Valley world.

For a great overview of the series in general, check out this Youtube video:
Why You Should Play Rune Factory

Header-So-Whats-New.png

So what's new in Rune Factory 4 Special (vs. the original 3DS version)?
  1. A new opening movie!
  2. New story cutscenes that weren't in the initial release
  3. A tougher "Veteran" mode to challenge returning players
  4. A "Newlywed Mode", accessible from the title screen. Essentially, extra side stories you can engage in with each of the romanceable candidates after you've already managed to marry them in-game. Based on the trailers, these new sections appear to use Live2D to animate your spouse's conversation art.
  5. An "Another Episode" mode, also accessible from the title screen, that looks to be a bunch of supplemental voice drama/VN style content. Initially, only Ventuswill's Another Episode is unlocked, with the other twelve marriage candidates locked behind eShop DLC. XSeed has confirmed that just like the Japanese version, the DLC will be a free download for the first month after release.
  6. Dual audio support (also accessible via a toggle on the title screen)
  7. Significantly improved resolution (obviously, as this is a port of a 3DS game) and a much smoother framerate
  8. Language support for French and German
  9. Since the game is on the Switch now, you gain all the benefits that entails (you can play it on a home display, with a regular controller, or play on the go with a larger screen, better battery life, and a suspend function that isn't completely useless)
The Archival Edition (which goes for an additional 20 bucks, as mentioned above) contains the following extra goodies:

Archival-Edition-s.jpg
A full-color, 162-page "Archival Book" with artwork from the Rune Factory games, plus exclusive promo and comic images. I flipped through the book for the purposes of making this FAQ, and as the cover page suggests its an art retrospective of all the Rune Factory games we've had up to this point (from the original Rune Factory's JP release in 2006 to the western release of RF4S in 2020) plus an additional annex of bonus promotional art. It has a nice slip case protecting the main book, and the paper quality is top notch.

Original soundtrack CD with 36 music tracks from the game. Sturdy cardboard sleeve, shrinkwrapped.

A download code for "Swimsuit Day" bonus content. As usual, its a small insert in the jewel case. I managed to redeem this off the eShop, and it apparently gives you a new Order that makes all the marriage characters parade around in swimsuits... so, uh, yeah.
(NOTE: This is apparently also a preorder bonus for digital purchases.)

Header-About-the-Game.png

Pre-release gameplay summary videos of the Switch are pretty few and far between, so I used this video for now. It has a decent mix of the basic exploration, combat and farming gameplay of the NSW version. Having played a bit of the Switch version myself, the image quality is a huge step up from the 3DS version, and the framerate is very smooth with no drops.

So, for the series newcomer - how does it play? As much as I'm sure Marvelous loathes comparisons to Stardew Valley, it's the most likely point of reference most newbies will be coming in from due to said game's mainstream commercial success. After all, most Harvest Moon fans are already well aware of what the RF series is like by this point, and will already know whether its for them or not without needing to read this section.

Stardew-Valley.jpg

So to answer the question: if you're coming in from Stardew Valley and you liked it, will you like this?

It depends on what you like about SV's game design, frankly. SV is a lot more freeform, and lets you achieve success through whatever method you choose. SV is also much more focused on the farming side of things, with the end goal (aside from stocking the museum and the community center) is the optimization of your money stream, and building your farm the way you want it. Rune Factory 4 on the other hand has a much larger emphasis on fighting, exploration and skill development, and as a result has far more indepth combat and crafting mechanics; the game's farming component is still very strong, but it's not the be-all end-all it is in SV. It's also far more regimented.

There's a more structured plot in RF4, and the characters have a lot more to say in terms of pure dialogue; the characterization might not be as good depending on your tastes however, as RF's characters tend to lean towards the predictable, trope-y anime archetypes, while SV's are more realistic. SV also allows for same-sex relationships whereas RF4 does not.

One last note: time runs slower in RF4 vs. SDV. If the constant struggle to maximize your day wore on you over time in Stardew Valley, you'll appreciate Rune Factory 4's comparatively sedate pacing.

In the end, these are two significantly different approaches to the same farming genre. If you explicitly don't want lots of fighting mixed into your farming then you should definitely steer clear, but if you're open to an expansion of that aspect of the game I'd say give it a chance. You may just have found your new addiction.

Header-Cast-of-Characters.png

These character trailers do a much better job than I would of introducing you to the main romanceable cast, given my shit-tier image editing skills. It's also a convenient way to stop writing this OT because I am very, very tired right now.

Last edited:

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Day 1 for me. Can't wait to return to this. Super excited for Rune Factory 5 as well. Having this as my portable go-to game for a while is going to fill the slot nicely.

MegamanFreak

Oct 27, 2017
Great OT, and really looking forward to replaying this gem of a game. I am looking for information about how events are handled this time around. There was randomness in activating key events to advance char stories and even the last arc of the game. I have heard the final arc is not random anymore, but no info on the other events.

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome OT! I really loved the original RF4, so I'm looking forward to getting this sometime down the line. Unfortunately it's releasing too close to Mega Man Zero and Animal Crossing for me to pull the trigger now :(

a glitch

Dec 12, 2018
Pre-ordered, but I still don't know weather I'll play as a male or female MC in 4S. I'll probably end up flipping a coin because any research I do may hit spoiler territory.

Also this is a great OP!

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
I'm excited for this. I really enjoyed this on the 3DS. Not sure if I'll pick it up now, though, with New Horizons coming up on my budget.
I'm curious if new scenes will have voice acting, Laura Bailey (Dolce) hasn't been doing work like this for a while, but she did come back for new Catherine scenes for Catherine Full Body so who knows.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played a game from this series since the First game and Frontier. I am excited to dig into this.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Thank you for this great OT :)
I prepurchased this last month and have been staring impatiently at the icon since lol.

I LOVE the Rune Factory series. As a fan of all these farming games, the fantasy tinged RF is my favorite and this is probably my favorite entry (Frontier is great except for the damn Runeys!).

In addition to farming there are dungeons, fighting, loot, leveling etc. along with the events and romances etc. it's an amazing package overall and ensures the things you do outside farming are actually fun in their own right.

I highly recommend this to anyone who likes Harvest Moon/Stardew games but also likes RPG elements like the dungeons, fighting, loot etc. it's a really robust game.

Being in the US, I hope this launched tonight but I know that most of the time these things seem to unlock the next day. But I will be checking tonight lol!

Nov 11, 2017
I probably won't get this as I played through the 3DS version for the second time like a year ago, but if you're into this type of game and are considering picking this up, do it! It's amazing, one of my absolute favorite 3DS games.

EDIT- Except for one thing that still annoys the heck out of me,
The whole third arc feels incredibly shoehorned in and unfinished, and it sounds like they haven't really updated it at all beyond maybe addressing it in the Another Episode stuff.

Last edited:

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Great OT! I didn't play RF4 but really enjoy the series.. probably will just wait until 5 later this year, but definitely gonna keep an eye out for a nice deal on this.

Oct 29, 2017
Is this a good loot game? As someone who got addicted to the loot on Diablo, I'd love another game where that "one more fight to maybe get some awful loot" is there.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I was really charmed by Rune Factory Frontier (runey nonsense aside). How is this game different/similar?

Also are there any male romance options and do you have to play as a female avatar?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
A little shocking it's been 7 years since last anything RF related. Glad to finally be able to dive back in on Switch though. RF4 on 3DS was one of the games I was most surprised by how much i loved it. Hoping to recapture that feeling and make the wait for RF5 even more unbearable.

I was really charmed by Rune Factory Frontier (runey nonsense aside).

Also are there any male romance options and do you have to play as a female avatar?

There are male romance options, but yeah, it's locked to female protag unfortunately.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Can the dlc be downloaded without owning the game? I was going to get this as a gift for my sister, but she already owned the 3ds version so I got her snack world instead. And she decided to use her money on pokemon mystery dungeon instead and wait to get this when its on sale. Can I download the dlc for her just to claim it on my account while its free for when she eventually gets the game.

MegamanFreak

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a good loot game? As someone who got addicted to the loot on Diablo, I'd love another game where that "one more fight to maybe get some awful loot" is there.

No this is definitely not a loot game, like diablo. You CAN find better weapons randomly in chests, but to get the best stuff, you will need to craft it yourself. This game has many items with unique traits and stat increases that you can craft into your weapons and armor, making them way stronger, and even having drastic new abilities.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Does this still have the postgame avatar/model-swap options that the original did?
If so, you can engineer a same-sex marriage provided you don't mind playing through the story as the opposite sec first.

Oct 29, 2017
No this is definitely not a loot game, like diablo. You CAN find better weapons randomly in chests, but to get the best stuff, you will need to craft it yourself. This game has many items with unique traits and stat increases that you can craft into your weapons and armor, making them way stronger, and even having drastic new abilities.

Ah that sounds just as good really, it's more about wanting that next big weapon whether it's finding it or creating it.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
I'd possibly buy this if you can marry same sex characters, like in Stardew Valley. If not, it's going to be a hard pass from me.
I skipped all romance in Fire Emblem Three Houses because none of the very few options appealed to me in the slightest.

Last edited:

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Never played a game from this series about I've been curious about this one and Snack World but not sure which one I should get.

Anyone can help?

a glitch

Dec 12, 2018
What's the recommended difficulty setting for a first timer to the series

I think you could change the difficulty in RF3, so I'd assume you'll be able to in 4S. Normal is probably the best for a newcomer but you can always experiment!

On that note, are there any differences to xp gain and drop rates if you play on a higher difficulty? I can't remember if they did that in RF3...

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reports on the text size in handheld? I saw somewhere at some point that someone said the text is incredibly smll in handheld.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Never played a game from this series about I've been curious about this one and Snack World but not sure which one I should get.

Anyone can help?

Snack World is fine. It won't blow your socks off and will probably be forgotten about in a month or so by me.

Rune Factory, like Story of Seasons or Stardew Valley, has the life sim aspect that helps make the story stick with you longer as it feels like your story.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Snack World is fine. It won't blow your socks off and will probably be forgotten about in a month or so by me.

Rune Factory, like Story of Seasons or Stardew Valley, has the life sim aspect that helps make the story stick with you longer as it feels like your story.

And is the combat good/fun? Is the loot aspect important?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Very curious about this game, never Played any of the games in this series but it looks fun!

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
And is the combat good/fun? Is the loot aspect important?

Combat in RF4 is basic, make no doubt. Not that Snack World has world beating combat, it's a bit simple too, but definitely loads more complex than a RF game.

Loot too exists in RF, but isn't the point of the game.

It was mentioned that text size is small, but that you can use L to zoom in.

As in use the Switch's zoom feature or it's built into the game?

CloverNotes

Oct 25, 2017
I'd possibly buy this if you can marry same sex characters, like in Stardew Valley. If not, it's going to be a hard pass from me.
I skipped all romance in Fire Emblem Three Houses because none of the very few options appealed to me in the slightest.
There is unfortunately not same sex relationships in the game.

Sol Mori

Jun 10, 2018
Combat in RF4 is basic, make no doubt. Not that Snack World has world beating combat, it's a bit simple too, but definitely loads more complex than a RF game.

Loot too exists in RF, but isn't the point of the game.

As in use the Switch's zoom feature or it's built into the game?

No clue, this is just information from the Rune Factory 4 is the next game with tiny text thread.

Easystride

Oct 27, 2017
So the general census I'm getting from reading the OP is that this game isn't as stressful to play as Stardew Valley. Would that be an accurate assumption? In SV, I felt like I needed to get everything done in such a small window that it started to wear me down after 30 hours.

MegamanFreak

Oct 27, 2017
So the general census I'm getting from reading the OP is that this game isn't as stressful to play as Stardew Valley. Would that be an accurate assumption? In SV, I felt like I needed to get everything done in such a small window that it started to wear me down after 30 hours.

Also, you can get pets that can do all of your gardening for you if you just want to focus on fighting or gifting villagers or marriage partners.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Best farming sim and best ARPG of the past several years finally gets the remastered treatment it deserves.

The clock is slower but there's still a lot to do and you will still get that feeling of "oh god I can't do everything I want", especially considering how much time you need to allocate to exploring and dungeon crawling along with maintaining your farm and community relations.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I've never played a rune factory--was thinking about trying this out, but now it's super close to AC + i'm crazy busy, so whether or not I bite the bullet later depends on one thing: can you be gay?