• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Not all text in the game, mind you. I think most text is pretty good, especially the dialogue.

But then I look at the item descriptions of both the Switch (via YouTube gameplay) and 3DS version of the game and can't help but think:

What the hell is going on with game developers?!

ERFRS2FX0AI7nxO

With the transition from 3DS to Switch the screen got bigger, so text can be made smaller - makes perfect sense, RIGHT?

Last edited:

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I was expecting this to be overblown, since i never had issues with the text in Fire Emblem, but okay, yes, that's pretty bad.

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
Never had issues with tiny text just fuzzy text and/or odd choices of fonts that aren't clearer. Text size hasn't been an issue for me, but it was really weird on in the WiiU version of MH3U. I could read it, I just thought it didn't look aesthetically pleasing.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I get the feeling things such a text size were checked only on optimal conditions (big tv, bright room) and if they're OK there, they don't bother checking other situations. Which seems fine for a console, but it seem many are forgetting to re-check on portable mode on the switch
Judging by the furore caused by Outer Worlds/Death Stranding/God of War, I'm not sure small text is okay for a console either.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Judging by the furore caused by Outer Worlds/Death Stranding/God of War, I'm not sure small text is okay for a console either.

I mean, that's what I mean when they only check on optimal conditions (PC monitor or big sized TV relatively close); they doesn't seems to check on a more varied setup. Otherwise they would catch the fact that some text is incredible small once you're outside of that "perfect" condition to read the text.

That, or changing the text size create issues with the display/alignment, and therefore, increasing the text size is giving a very low priority. Both scenarios still suck tho.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It's absolutely mind-boggling to me that this keeps being a thing.

Never had issues with tiny text just fuzzy text and/or odd choices of fonts that aren't clearer. Text size hasn't been an issue for me, but it was really weird on in the WiiU version of MH3U. I could read it, I just thought it didn't look aesthetically pleasing.

Yeah, a lot of MH games have absolutely bottom tier, weirdly spaced fonts. It was a thing at least until the 3DS games. World and the Switch ports seem to be much better in that regard, thankfully.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Let me check my emails quickly...

Ok preview embargo is up. Hit L to resize the text larger, it'll zoom in. It's clunky but it works. And it's fine on handheld. Don't have a lite tho.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017

Ok preview embargo is up. Hit L to resize the text larger, it'll zoom in. It's clunky but it works. And it's fine on handheld. Don't have a lite tho.
I see, thanks! It's better than nothing I guess.

At least this shows that they were aware of it. That's definitely a good thing!

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'd argue that leaving the default size of this particular text box that small is not particularly smart, but good to know that there's a workaround.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California

Awesome, good to know. My local store is getting copies in today, and I've been looking forward to picking it up later. Nice to see the text isn't that bad of an issue.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much have to squint at a lot of things on the Lite. Didn't even realize you could zoom in on the description/stat boxes until I did it on accident when trying to navigate between menus.

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
It's absolutely mind-boggling to me that this keeps being a thing.

Yeah, a lot of MH games have absolutely bottom tier, weirdly spaced fonts. It was a thing at least until the 3DS games. World and the Switch ports seem to be much better in that regard, thankfully.
Holy crap, you're right. I didn't even notice it was a non issue for GenU. More reason I love the mess out of that game.

currytan

Sep 6, 2018
I see, thanks! It's better than nothing I guess.

At least this shows that they were aware of it. That's definitely a good thing!

Can you provide a photo of how it looks with that option enabled? I'm about to drop the game due to the small font you showed in the first post (and sad by that).
Thanks!

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I get the feeling things such a text size were checked only on optimal conditions (big tv, bright room) and if they're OK there, they don't bother checking other situations. Which seems fine for a console, but it seem many are forgetting to re-check on portable mode on the switch
I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually tested just on PC monitors they're sitting pretty close to.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I tried various Rune Factory but could only get into Frontier, hopefully the next game will be more like it.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I was on the edge because I feel fairly confident this will end up on Steam, but that small text is ooft. Even if you can zoom in, there is so much empty space in that box where they could increase the text size.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
ygYA9JA.jpg

Me trying to read my equipment descriptions so I can water my tomatoes faster

It's been mentioned that the text can be zoomed on—does that mean the default can be zoomed in?

lake

Oct 27, 2017
As someone on the older side of this forum I'm legit getting worried about the gaming issues that will arise when my near-object vision inevitably starts weakening.

It's nuts that so many games are ending up with such tiny text. Think I ran into this most recently with Tangledeep on Switch, which was smaller than I'd prefer.

The first time I recall this being an issue... I want to say Dead Rising on 360... when played in SD mode, I think? It made the game blog news at the time.