• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maculo

Oct 27, 2017
Madrid, Spain
So me and my 10 yr old kid just finished our first run of Huntdown. What a great game!!! I found everything about it to be top-notch. The graphics and the art direction are stunning. The gameplay is really tight with a nice difficulty level (at normal) for us. Some stages and enemies are hilarious, and the sound design and voices only make them much more hysterical lol.

Now that is over, we need more like that!! So do you have any suggestions for run and gun games with preferably a difficulty setting or at least something that is in the easy-normal side of the spectrum?? And preferably on Switch, though PS4 is also an option.

Some 'similar' games we've played together and enjoyed that I remember:

Blazing Chrome: Really cool as well, but we enjoyed Huntdown better. Maybe we should replay it.
Cuphead: This was a bit too difficult for us. We reached world 3 and dropped it. I believe we had over 1000 deaths by that time lol
Valfaris: Passing the controller. We reeeally enjoyed that one and beat it twice.

So what am I missing? I know 20xx has coop, but I'm afraid of the difficulty. What about Guns, Gore and Cannoli?

Looking forward for your suggestions!

Binhoker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hard corps uprising is backwards compatible, gorgeous and co-op.

Also, maybe get like a metal slug collection or something? There are a tonne of options

snakey2389

May 31, 2019
Contra Anniversary Collcection is all you need pretty much. Nex Machina on PS4 is one of the best twin stick shooters. Broforce and Guns, Gore and Cannoli 2 are good too. Metal Slug Arcade Archive games are great too.

sebbbbe_WiiG

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
I really enjoyed my time with Guns, Gore and Cannoli. So far, I only played the first one, but there are several difficulty settings and I had a blast in Co-op with my brother. Unfortunately, there are not many incentives for replays besides trying to beat it on higher difficulty settings.

OP
OP
Maculo

Maculo

Oct 27, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Thanks for the answers.

We have tried Contra 3 before, but like, we sucked big time. Not sure why really, that's why we have not gone into the Contra collection or the Metal Slug games. I'm also always more inclined to play modern games. Not for the looks obviously, we almost only play pixelated games...But I usually find the controls or the game's design more appealing than true retro games...

Broforce is always on my list, but I had the impression that the switch version was not very good...? If that's not the case, we can definitely try that one! And Guns Gore and Cannoli it seams.

We've tried twin stick shooters before, but they never grab our interest for too long. Again, probably because of the difficulty of dodging bullets constantly. We are not good at that. I believe we've reached floor 3 ONCE in Enter the Dungeon and we also have to drop Assault Cactus after a few bosses...

Thanks!

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Yes! Action Squad is superb. Love that it's not all run and gun, lots of tense 'prep' moments. Reckon you and your son would have a blast, OP.

I adored it solo, but co-op with my nephew made me realise quite how fun it could be.

Going shoulder to shoulder with one of you with a riot shield is ace. So is planning for multiple entry points into a room to avoid someone taking a hostage. It's such a great experience.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
guns, gore and cannoli 1/2 are great. they're not the longest games in the world, but i found them very fun.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
The Metal Slug games are way more manageable than Contra, you shouldn't give up on them. They're great fun, and very appealing to a kid.

Also Sunset Riders is great if you have access to it, it is a bit on the hard side, but there's a cheat for selecting the level, so you don't have to always start over.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Metal Slug series is what you are looking for, pretty much the best in the genre.

Even the very first game holds up extremely well and has amazing 2D sprites and animation.

Also check out Shock Troopers.

Frunkalicious

Oct 28, 2017
If you have the means, go pick up Bionic Commando Rearmed. One of my favourite games ever and its perfect in co-op.

Bleed 1/2 fits the bill, haven't played them myself though (yet).

Not really run-n-gun, but Risk of Rain is great in co-op. Guacamelee is another fantastic two player sidescroller.

Have you guys considered trying out any shmups? A lot of good ones out there that doesn't focus too much on avoiding bullets and most of them are playable in co-op.

And you should definitely give the Contra collection another shot!

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Hard corps uprising is backwards compatible, gorgeous and co-op.

Also, maybe get like a metal slug collection or something? There are a tonne of options

It makes me so, so happy that one of the best games from last gen (and one of the most ruthlessly snubbed) is getting a mention in the first reply. You made my day.

I would also recommend Blazing Chrome. That game is amazing.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
The Metal Slug games are way more manageable than Contra, you shouldn't give up on them. They're great fun, and very appealing to a kid.

Also Sunset Riders is great if you have access to it, it is a bit on the hard side, but there's a cheat for selecting the level, so you don't have to always start over.

The arcade Sunset Riders has free play so you can credit feed and save state to the end if you so desire (and it's on the PS4 and Switch and way better than the SNES game).

I'd argue that learning to 1CC Sunset Riders is actually easier than Metal Slug because the movement options are nicer and the stages aren't overly long (like most MS titles).

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Contra: Shattered Soldier is still my favorite, but I think it's only on PlayStation 2.

Neo Contra as well. I liked it, but it's not the most liked Contra because it has different gameplay. GOAT intro though:

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gunstar Heroes is great, also the Metal Slug series.
If you want harder, look into the Contra series.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Also, OP, Blazing Chrome is SO much better than Huntdown imho, which was kind of disappointing for me. Give it another shot, the boss and level designs in the later parts of the game really shine-- plus the unlockable characters fundamentally alter how the game plays (there is basically a Strider-clone and it rules!!)

OP
OP
Maculo

Maculo

Oct 27, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Also, OP, Blazing Chrome is SO much better than Huntdown imho, which was kind of disappointing for me. Give it another shot, the boss and level designs in the later parts of the game really shine-- plus the unlockable characters fundamentally alter how the game plays (there is basically a Strider-clone and it rules!!)
Don't get me wrong, I loved Blazing Chrome a lot! And mechanically it could be much better, I don't know since I'm not very good at analyzing games. But being an 80s kid that loves The Warriors, Huntdown tickles some nerves in my brain.

Thank you all for the suggestions, some I knew and have already played, but some are new and will definitely try. Since I have to start somewhere, I'll try Action Squad and the Metal Slugs series first. I think my kid will love those.

Thanks again!

Alex Connolly

Oct 27, 2017
Kagoshima, Japan
Don't get me wrong, I loved Blazing Chrome a lot! And mechanically it could be much better, I don't know since I'm not very good at analyzing games. But being an 80s kid that loves The Warriors, Huntdown tickles some nerves in my brain.

Thank you all for the suggestions, some I knew and have already played, but some are new and will definitely try. Since I have to start somewhere, I'll try Action Squad and the Metal Slugs series first. I think my kid will love those.

Thanks again!

Let us know how the games go. Hope your little fella enjoys them.