• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Nice specs. With a name like Anaconda you best bringing 12 inches, sorry 12 tflops.

AMD must have some pretty knockout GPUs coming next year as right now their top one is 9.8 tflops and ~220W

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
If this is confusing for people in this thread, I can only imagine what the mass market will think.

Given the truth that a Gen 9 tflop is better than a Gen 8 tflop, how do you message that in a simple, easy to understand way that's also technically credible?

Option 1 - Adjust the number to be relative to Gen 8 (e.g 4tflops becomes 5, 8tflops becomes 10, and 12 becomes 14)
Option 2 - Leave the same and try and explain in videos, demos, etc.
Option 2 - Do nothing and let the games speak for themselves.

This is tricky proposition. Each has pros/cons. But unless you do option 1, there are going to be a lot of casual gamers that will think the low-end is less powerful than the outgoing model.

Interested in thoughts on this.
My only thing about your last sentence is the casual user (mass market) ain't gonna know/care about that stuff. People get confused here because you have somewhat knowledgeable people talking as a person of expertise...and those who read things take things with their limited knowledge of the matter as gospel. But because they are interested it is real enough to them...and when something goes against that grain, confusion happens. Mass market wouldn't be confused unless you talk about the power. That's why marketing for the current consoles say "4K" (with an asterik) or "most powerful console" instead of details

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
This just seems the usual flip flop. I am expecting if they are the same price, they are going to be at the same power. No reason why one would be willing to take more of a loss on the price of admission.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
"Anaconda is targeting around 12 teraflops (TF) of computing power, compared to the Xbox One X's 6TF"

Yeah but Xbox One X is 6TF of GCN, and Anaconda is 12TF of RDNA Navi architecture which is comparable to a 15-16TF GPU which is insane

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
God this has me so exited for E3. Even if the reveals of the next consoles from Sony and ms are done prior, E3 should focus on the games

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
Unless these specs are massively wrong, it should have no problem beating out a 980ti/6700k equipped PC.
Yeah, it's just history repeating itself though. I remember the PS3 reveal and it being a "super computer." I'm excited for the next gen consoles, but seeing people say that 16GB of RAM is too little, or wanting them to outperform 1070/1080 cards for about $400~ dollars seems like expecting too much.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
So if the rumoured specs are 12TF, the reality is more likely around the 15-18 mark right?

And if MS chooses to wisely go with FP16 it's actually going to blow the PS5 out of the water at 30-36TF?

Fuuuuck. Phil DOES. NOT. PLAY.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
What the fuck even is a teraflop?

Can guarantee the mass market won't give a fuck if I don't.

I. AM. EVERYMAN.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
My only thing about your last sentence is the casual user (mass market) ain't gonna know/care about that stuff.

I think to. I think what will matters a lot, and we could see that in the last 2 generations, is the comparisons for multi-platform titles. And lots of things can play a role here.
Let's say both consoles are equivalent, but one, for some reason, have Unreal Engine less optimized and having less good performances, this is the kind of thing that will be be crucial. Internet videos about such console running Battlefield or CoD at lower resolution or framerate.

Deleted member 4072

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean every mode will be the performance mode. Or do you mean over 60fps ?
No as in they will obviously want to push the highest IQ as possible so will go with Native 4k. A lot of people here believe they will just opt for that and won't """Waste resources""" pushing higher framerates which would be such a waste of hardware. What is rumored is more than capable of having a 60fps mode in every game for the forseeable future.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I think to. I think what will matters a lot, and we could see that in the last 2 generations, is the comparisons for multi-platform titles. And lots of things can play a role here.
Let's say both consoles are equivalent, but one, for some reason, have Unreal Engine less optimized and having less good performances, this is the kind of thing that will be be crucial. Internet videos about such console running Battlefield or CoD at lower resolution or framerate.
The casual...mass market is not caring about the things you are talking about. That's the hardcore market. It's all about marketing than anything.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Irrespective of whether Lockhart is more powerful than the Xbox On X, it's the massive gap to the proposed Anaconda specs that is surprising to me...

If there ends up being any truth to this rumour, then I can actually understand all the recent talk about developers being unhappy with the proposition of the Lockhart and the worries about it potentially holding back games next gen.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
13GBs of usable ram seems pretty low.

I've been building PCs with 16GBs for years.

I don't know why I expected more, but considering how long console generations last now, I wanted more future proofing.

We getting to 2025 with game design tied down to 13GBs.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
No as in they will obviously want to push the highest IQ as possible so will go with Native 4k. A lot of people here believe they will just opt for that and won't """Waste resources""" pushing higher framerates which would be such a waste of hardware. What is rumored is more than capable of having a 60fps mode in every game for the forseeable future.
I doubt we see alot of native 4k and alot of other techinques are being just already atm and more in the future wich can produce great image quality and frees up resources for other parts.
Also with the huge bump in CPU we will get alot of games in "4K" and 60fps by default.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Irrespective of whether Lockhart is more powerful than the Xbox On X, it's the massive gap to the proposed Anaconda specs that is surprising to me...

If there ends up being any truth to this rumour, then I can actually understand all the recent talk about developers being unhappy with the proposition of the Lockhart and the worries about it potentially holding back games next gen.

Here's my understanding. RAM+CPU+SSD = identical/near-enough the same. GPU = massively upgraded in Anacdonda.

Therefore in terms of big worlds and loads of clever AI etc etc, these consoles have the same (near enough) capacity. But one will make it all look a lot prettier.

Is that right? Cos if so doesn't seem to be a problem.

I am not very technical though so ehhhhh

Oct 31, 2017