• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How are people saying "this is insane". This tech needs to survive at least 5 years. Compared to current gent One X it's only double.
I find that underwhelming tbh.

Seems consoles will be the bottleneck this generation as well. In particular seeing that every game has to run on every system, so that's only a measly 4TF target spec.

Meh.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So when insiders said 1 console is a little stronger than the other they meant the Xbox over ps5 not ps5 over Xbox

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
User Warned: Platform warring
A next gen console weaker than the Xbox X?
I don't see the point. Everything will be developed with a 4tf-console in mind now. This will be the baseline for third party games and MS exclusives.
If that is the case then I will skip Xbox next year and will just get a PS5 to acompany my switch.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not when the rest of the hardware is virtually identical to the more powerful machine. The cut in GPU power will simply result in games being played at a lower resolution and with some features paired back on Lockhart.
Nah, I don't want scaling. I want games built from the ground up for a true next gen machine, Anaconda. What we will get is a low and high setting between them.
Like comparing TLOU on PS3 to TLOU Remastered for PS4... thats what we will get graphically. NOT TLOU 2... running on the same hardware TLOU Remastered runs on. UWP, scalability, these are words MS want to use to blur console generations, but all their really doing is holding back Anaconda. It's disappointing to say the least.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I don't want scaling. I want games built from the ground up for a true next gen machine, Anaconda. What we will get is a low and high setting between them.
Like comparing TLOU on PS3 to TLOU Remastered for PS4... thats what we will get graphically. NOT TLOU 2... running on the same hardware TLOU Remastered runs on. UWP, scalability, these are words MS want to use to blur console generations, but all their really doing is holding back Anaconda. It's disappointing to say the least.
You have no idea what you are talking about, lmao. The games will still be built with the hardware in mind, but scalablity is a major part of game development these days and with MS supporting PC their games will be scalable regardless. Lockhart is not going to result in Anaconda games looking worse, lmao.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"I don't believe in inflation" is the same level of financial literacy that restera posters display in threads about storefronts and game budgets too i dont know hwy you guys are shocked.

also I just bought an xb1x, can't wait to buy another $5000 xbox console in like 10 months

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the point. Everything will be developed with a 4tf-console in mind now. This will be the baseline for third party games and MS exclusives.
200.gif

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Lower powered GPUs on PC don't hold games back when the tools developers use can scale to both. This will be the same for both SKUs of Xbox.

Oct 27, 2017
If the render target is 1080p (rather than something like 4K), you wouldn't really run into bottlenecks so long as the rest of the hardware is comparable (re: memory speed/CPU/HDD/etc). GPU is one of those areas where you can have variability without necessarily creating bottlenecks,assuming your render target fits the GPU This makes it viable as a way to save on (or balloon) underlying cost.

Considering the length of console generations this is a big assumption. The issue with Lockhart is not if it's as powerful as the X (it's certainly more) it's how much of a drop it is from Anaconda. The risk of it holding back "scope" (in myriad potential ways) for the entire generation in the future is very legitimate.

Hopefully they've done something architecturally to address this.

Jun 10, 2018
If that is the case then I will skip Xbox next year and will just get a PS5 to acompany my switch.
It won't be less powerful then an Xbox One X. In fact, the GPU would be slightly more powerful as RDNA performs 1.75 times better clock for clock. So a 4TF RDNA GPU should perform like a 7TF GCN GPU when clocked the same. Then it will have more memory and bandwidth as well as a significantly better CPU.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Aren't the rumors saying 499$? I don't see how those specs are only gonna cost that it just doesn't make sense, even at the discount that Microsoft is probably getting everything at. They have to be taking a pretty big hit at that price or these leaks are full of shit one or the other.
...or us PC builders have been massively overpaying for high-end GPUs because we are suckers?

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You have no idea what you are talking about, lmao.
So could you explain where my raisoning is wrong please, I am looking for a contradiction because I am also very skeptical.

If I want to render two-hundred differents Ewoks dismembered alive by the Empire, or doubling the height of Tatooine's reliefs, or having a more imposing architecture inside the Death Star that what I can pump in a native UHD resolution - I can lower my internal rendering to 1080/1440p on Anaconda with an upscaling/checkboarding to maintain my goal resolution and framerate.

How could I keep the same design on Lockhart, without the possibility to lower the resolution in the same proportion ?

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
I am puzzled by everyone worried about a 4TF console. If the two systems share CPU/RAM/SDD specs. The differences will be more around resolution, textures, lighting, shadows, etc, vs framerate.

This is a very smart way to target both the top/bottom of the market while maintaining a similar gaming experience across the units.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Something comparable to a 3600-3700x and a GPU more powerful (and by a good margin) than a 5700XT by 2020 for 499$?

I say bs.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018

You along with a lot of other people in this thread really have no idea what you are talking about.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So could you explain where my raisoning is wrong please, I am looking for a contradiction because I am also very skeptical.

If I want to render two-hundred differents Ewoks dismembered alive by the Empire, or doubling the height of Tatooin reliefs, or having more imposing architecure on the Death Star - I can lower my internal rendering to 1080/1440p on Anaconda with an upscaling/checkboarding to maintain resolution and framerate.

How could I do this on Lockhart, without the possibility to lower the resolution in the same proportion ?
You aren't going to get 1080p Anaconda and PS5 games. If a game is sub 4K on Anaconda then the Lockhart version will just be sub 1080p and pull back on some visual features. Games these days are made with scalablity in mind, even first party MS games now thanks to their support of PC.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please remember that 4k is literally 4x as many pixels as 1080p, and while it is very imprecise to say that gpu performance cost is x effect * y pixels, it's not that far off from true for most modern game engines.

A respectably powerful gpu that's a third as powerful as a very powerful gpu on the same platform is reasonably safely going to be able to run a game at 1/4th the resolution, and since gamers and tv manufacturers have marketed 4k as a must have feature i can't imagine much being "held back," especially when you consider the ubuiquity of expensive, scalable elements like shadows, motion blur, dof, volumetrics, and other effects that render to arbitrary resolutionn buffers which could be turned down further if necessary without hurting the art direction of a game..

It is a nail in the coffin for everybody out there (me!) hoping more developers would abandon 4k and use the extra headroom to make a *vastly* better looking 1080p game though.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
specs sound awesome, apologies if this has already been asked, maybe someone with a better technical understanding can explain this to me, given the reported 4tf for the lockhart, if developers need to create a game that runs on both 12tf and 4tf systems, then wouldn't it be very difficult to develop for and really show off the bonus of having 12tf when you have to also create something that scales down a system that has much less power. Ie, how would one accomplish environmental destruction, more complex ai, physics, lighting etc that was possible on a 12tf console on a 4tf console. Would this not make things really hard to really utilize that extra power that has been given and create a similar experience on the much less powerful console. Or am I misunderstanding how it works.<edit> obviously aside from just scaling resolutions etc

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
If this is confusing for people in this thread, I can only imagine what the mass market will think.

Given the truth that a Gen 9 tflop is better than a Gen 8 tflop, how do you message that in a simple, easy to understand way that's also technically credible?

Option 1 - Adjust the number to be relative to Gen 8 (e.g 4tflops becomes 5, 8tflops becomes 10, and 12 becomes 14)
Option 2 - Leave the same and try and explain in videos, demos, etc.
Option 2 - Do nothing and let the games speak for themselves.

This is tricky proposition. Each has pros/cons. But unless you do option 1, there are going to be a lot of casual gamers that will think the low-end is less powerful than the outgoing model.

Interested in thoughts on this.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Please remember that 4k is literally 4x as many pixels as 1080p, and while it is very imprecise to say that gpu performance cost is x effect * y pixels, it's not that far off from true for most modern game engines.

A respectably powerful gpu that's a third as powerful as a very powerful gpu on the same platform is reasonably safely going to be able to run a game at 1/4th the resolution, and since gamers and tv manufacturers have marketed 4k as a must have feature i can't imagine much being "held back," especially when you consider the ubuiquity of expensive, scalable elements like shadows, motion blur, dof, volumetrics, and other effects that render to arbitrary resolutionn buffers which could be turned down further if necessary without hurting the art direction of a game..

It is a nail in the coffin for everybody out there (me!) hoping more developers would abandon 4k and use the extra headroom to make a *vastly* better looking 1080p game though.
And any game that for whatever reason can't run at the same settings but 1/4 the resolution will either just drop the res a bit more or pull back on some features, such as lowering texture or shadow res.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And any game that for whatever reason can't run at the same settings but 1/4 the resolution will either just drop the res a bit more or pull back on some features, such as lowering texture or shadow res.

Yeah exactly, i edited a list of some of those features into my post last minute (they'r t here in your quote) -- there are a lot of features where that effect * pixels math is even more accuraet than overall which can easily be scaled back (see: every pc game launched in the last like, 8 years)

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I am puzzled by everyone worried about a 4TF console. If the two systems share CPU/RAM/SDD specs. The differences will be more around resolution, textures, lighting, shadows, etc, vs framerate.

This is a very smart way to target both the top/bottom of the market while maintaining a similar gaming experience across the units.

The Xbox One S and the Xbox One X share CPU/RAM/HDD specs, but the Xbox One X has about 4 times as much GPU power.

The difference is that in generation 9, the Anaconda and Lockhart will be released at the same time, instead of 4 years apart.

I mean, that's what I'm assuming? I guess it's all rumor and we really don't know launch timing.

Oct 26, 2017
If this is confusing for people in this thread, I can only imagine what the mass market will think.

Given the truth that a Gen 9 tflop is better than a Gen 8 tflop, how do you message that in a simple, easy to understand way that's also technically credible?

Option 1 - Adjust the number to be relative to Gen 8 (e.g 4tflops becomes 5, 8tflops becomes 10, and 12 becomes 14)

This is tricky proposition. Each has pros/cons. But unless you do option 1, there are going to be a lot of casual gamers that will think the low-end is less powerful than the outgoing model.

Most of this thread couldn't get their head around PS4 Pro/ Xbox One X if they always acted like this, so I wouldn't worry about the reactions too much.
Publicly, performance (especially theoretical performance) doesn't really have to be listed at all, and it's probably best not to.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I would expect super simple messaging, because nobody on planet earth cares what teraflops are outside of computer science academia and gamer enthusiast forums.

something like
"weak xbox. perfect for streaming comes with xyz streaming features, also plays every new xbox game.

new xbox is the best experience for Elite Gamers in 4k hdr 60fps whatever"

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017

I'd say let the games do the talking since I'd be amazed if the mass market collectively both saw the Teraflops messaging for the One X and also remembered and internalized it as relevant info to them as consumers.

I think the Anaconda = new 4K premium face melter and Lockhart = new 1080p hotness + 4K streaming via XCloud makes a lot of sense if that's actually what Lockhart is aimed at.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
This thread is pure gold. 1 year from now we all need to come and revisit some of the replies in here.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

A wild Penello appears!

So, is that napkin math correct? The 4TF Gen 9 console is equivalent to a 5TF Gen 8 console?

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK

"3 times as powerful as an Xbox one x" (or whatever the number is and however they combine all the numbers that define power).

Also don't forget people on here are running wild with speculation and not the recipients of a carefully targeted PR message.

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox One S and the Xbox One X share CPU/RAM/HDD specs, but the Xbox One X has about 4 times as much GPU power.

The difference is that in generation 9, the Anaconda and Lockhart will be released at the same time, instead of 4 years apart.

I mean, that's what I'm assuming? I guess it's all rumor and we really don't know launch timing.

Xbox One X and S do not share the same base specs. The differences at the CPU/RAM level are just as important to the games as the GPU jump.
  • Xbox One X - Custom CPU @ 2.3GHz, 8 cores; Custom GPU @ 1.172GHz, 40 CUs, Polaris features, 6.0 TFLOPS; 12GB GDDR5 RAM @ 326 GB/s
  • Xbox One S - Custom CPU @ 1.75GHz, 8 cores; Custom GPU @ 914MHz, 12 CUs, 1.4 TFLOPS; 8GB DDR3 RAM @ 68 GB/s

My assumption is the raw specs on the Scarlett SKU's CPU/GPU/RAM will be identical. Maybe with a modular GPU, allowing for the same motherboard across both units. (reducing the cost to manufacture)

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
That's not a lot of RAM for a machine that needs to be in the market until like 2027.

How are people saying "this is insane". This tech needs to survive at least 5 years. Compared to current gent One X it's only double.
I find that underwhelming tbh.

Seems consoles will be the bottleneck this generation as well. In particular seeing that every game has to run on every system, so that's only a measly 4TF target spec.

Meh.
I mean, consoles are literally the reason AAA games exist in the first place.

So when insiders said 1 console is a little stronger than the other they meant the Xbox over ps5 not ps5 over Xbox
Do you have the PS5 specs for comparison?

Yea people a couple pages ago said ps5 is less than 10TF and might be 8.2TF
That's not a source, dude is not an insider.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe in inflation, everything I buy today that I bought 10 years ago is still the same price, I think the only thing I've seen increase in the last 10 years is rent nothing else

cars are the same price, grocery's for the most part are the same price, games are the same price, movie tickets same price etc
HAHAHAHA, whether you want to believe or not doesn't matter. It is real and you are very wrong.

Back on topic. I heard the PS5 is just a repackaged XBX.