• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I suppose there's no silly cameras this time (that we know of) so MS could still come in at 499.

I can't imagine there's any short to mid-term appetite from consumers to spunk 600 on a console give the general, global economic outlook.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should I be worried that Lockhart will hold back the Anaconda & PS5?

I feel like this sentiment is misplaced to a degree. Devs don't hold back higher end PCs because there are lower end configurations, they design within a range of specs and allow you to options to disable things or lower settings to achieve desired performance.

Same thing for console generation transitions, except the devs do it for you.

There are only a handful of games that devs have publicly confirmed they had to hinder newer gen versions because of old gen consoles, unless I missed something.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Was the major thing holding back this generation was mostly the cpu? If that's the case and the lower model having a weaker but improved gpu would be a great entry point. 1440p native support for Lockhart would be great if we get the same FPS as the more powerful version.
With that spec difference it would have to be 1080p vs 4k, 1440p would require 6tflops vs 12tflops since it's about half the resolution of 4k.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
Games with load times anywhere up to a minute will be reduced to mere seconds as a result of these SSDs, and the inclusion of Project XCloud across all Xbox systems will allow you to start gaming via streaming while waiting for games to download locally.

On the one hand, this is really cool and is basically an evolution of the system introduced this gen that lets you play a small portion of the game while the rest installs. On the other hand, if you don't have great internet, the stream won't be great while you download the game, which will also download slower due to said stream. On the other other hand, I just got gigabit internet so I'll probably be fine. Really cool feature if true.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Playground has two teams. One RPG team and one Forza team.
But we dont see a new Horizon soon. Also dont expect a FM for next gen release also.
Really? Has there been rumors or any info about no Forza coming at launch, that's normally what they use to show off graphics plus I personally skipped 7 so i was excited for 8.

I forgot playground got so big

Tryxx

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If this is true, absolutely no chance anaconda is less than 599$ and they would still be taking a hit. It doesnt take much to add up price of these specs even with the discount that microsoft is paying.

Oct 25, 2017
Lets go ahead and chuck away that lockhart model.

Honestly, not everything is about resolution. This thing has to last 7 years and games stop hitting native resolutions later and later in the dev cycle as the games get more advanced, etc.
Now this thing has less ram and less cpu power, and still has to be considered when making games 5 years into the cycle.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I'm guessing Lockhart is as much about Xcloud as it is about selling a lot of consoles. With Lockhart you will get better frames and fast loading which is important for streaming. 1440p or whatever they are targeting will be fine for a mobile device.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
I don't know i developers would be able to put on a 4tf console a game built with 12 in mind. Hopefully lockhart won't restrict next gen games. Regardless, the two console approach is the most exciting thing for next gen.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's to expensive for what they are asking. they need to launch it at 299 for it to make waves if they are launching it at 399 than it will be ignored.

I just can't see a next gen console possibly launching at $299 in 2020. There's just no way. Xbox One S and PS4 base SKUs still MSRP at $299 today.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
That xCloud integration allowing you to play games via streaming as they download is cool as fuck.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't see anything unexpected in those specs. What's insane about them?
In absolute terms perhaps not but let's be honest, for a console this sound more than people expected, and at launch they will be awesome bang for buck. I was also especially skeptical because of power draw and heat when it comes to AMD hardware, I am ready for loud boxes.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Welp that didn't take long. People are saying 10.4 tf for the ps5 is false due to earlier predictions. It's just I find it funny that paste bin having project Scarlett specs the same as the window central article to also include the ps5 specs

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
12TF is still far too low for a console needing to push 4k until 2026 or 2027. Expect a mid gen refresh again to push it up to 20TF imho.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Really? Has there been rumors or any info about no Forza coming at launch, that's normally what they use to show off graphics plus I personally skipped 7 so i was excited for 8.
The start of the next FM game usually starts after the launch of the last one. That didnt happen with FM8 (or what its called) after FM7.
FM7 got alot of post launch support and alot of changed and they said the production of the next FM game started only in may of this year. Instead of December 2017 after FM7.
Next to that they want the new FM to be special and like a new step of the series. So combine that with production of the game also starting way later. A launch game doesnt sound very realistic

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just can't see a next gen console possibly launching at $299 in 2020. There's just no way. Xbox One S and PS4 base SKUs still MSRP at $299 today.
I just don't see it doing anything other than being ignored at 399 because Anaconda/Scarlett will probably be 499 at minimum and if it's that much weaker I just don't see 399 being worth it.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
If this ends up being true and well this source isn't exactly unreliable, what the hell was all that about with Andrew saying basically the opposite? How he heard from devs PS5 was stronger?

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone pay $399 for a 4 TF console in 2020? That thing is not a good deal unless it's $299.
Because you're still going to get an SSD, a next-gen CPU, 16gb RAM and next-gen visuals at 1080p. TF isn't the end-all-be-all if you're factoring in resolution, framerate, and load times.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Exactly.

The want lockheart to be the introduction. The thing is, most people who buy new consoles at the start are enthusiasts. They aren't going to get a weaker console. You also have little tommy saving up his xmas money. He will hear "most powerful" and gravitate towards that. All this will do is confuse parents on which one to get for their kids.

Another point:

The Lockheart is useless. For 1-2 years after a new gen, all games will be crossgen. Who in their right mind will buy a lockheart, when you can keep your one X, and play games better then the lockheart. It makes more sense to ride the one X out until games are exclusive to sclarett, then cop ethat.
I think it makes some sense, you buy new hardware for new games people are not going to know the ONE X plays the new games if they have been conditioned to believe Xbox ONE X is a souped up ONE S all this time.

Hence a new gen with the Lockheart as a base

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see it doing anything other than being ignored at 399 because Anaconda/Scarlett will probably be 499 at minimum and if it's that much weaker I just don't see 399 being worth it.
I don't see Anaconda launching at $499 with a next-gen CPU, SSD, 16 GB RAM, 4K UHD drive, and 12TF GPU. Those specs scream $599. Hence why Lockhart makes sense as a cheaper option that still provides next-gen visuals and performance at 1080p.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
At least the 500 dollar plus cost won't hurt as much with xbox game pass ultimate. Getting the console and having a bunch of first party launch games at launch for no extra cost is kind of insane.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By having 2 consoles like this I feel that gives MS more leeway to make a stronger machine for a premium price.

PS5 could very well end up slightly weaker.

Demileto

Apr 23, 2018
The thing is, most people who buy new consoles at the start are enthusiasts.

Because previous generations used to being their lifespan with a pretty small game catalog to choose from. Starting this generation this won't be the case anymore with both PS5/Xbox Next supporting backwards compatibility.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft ceased production of One S and One X mid 2020 and fully replace them in stores with Lockhart and Anaconda by years' end.

You also have little tommy saving up his xmas money. He will hear "most powerful" and gravitate towards that. All this will do is confuse parents on which one to get for their kids.

Lockhard targets 1080p and Anaconda 4K. Where's the confusion here? Also, Little Tommy is too young to care about hardware specs, all he wants is to play the fancy new game on the market, while his mommy and daddy are old enough to know if their wallets can afford the pricier Anaconda.

The Lockheart is useless. For 1-2 years after a new gen, all games will be crossgen. Who in their right mind will buy a lockheart, when you can keep your one X, and play games better then the lockheart. It makes more sense to ride the one X out until games are exclusive to sclarett, then cop that.

One X better than Lockhart? The latter will have much better CPU and a very fast SSD. TFs are not the be all, end all metric to a console power.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those are some pretty nice specs.

God I can't wait for next gen, and E3 next year is going to be really exciting.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
Those specs would be better than my PC and I run all my games at 1440p with near max settings at 60fps. Next gen graphics are going to be oh so sweet if this is true.