• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is fantastic news, and it also puts Lockhart into perspective a bit more in that it'd be very easy to see the standard be that Lockhart is a 1080p console and Anaconda is a 4k console. If it's true that they'll have similar CPUs, this bodes very well for next-gen and there shouldn't be any situations where developers are holding things back for Lockhart.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Exactly.

The want lockheart to be the introduction. The thing is, most people who buy new consoles at the start are enthusiasts. They aren't going to get a weaker console. You also have little tommy saving up his xmas money. He will hear "most powerful" and gravitate towards that. All this will do is confuse parents on which one to get for their kids.

Another point:

The Lockheart is useless. For 1-2 years after a new gen, all games will be crossgen. Who in their right mind will buy a lockheart, when you can keep your one X, and play games better then the lockheart. It makes more sense to ride the one X out until games are exclusive to sclarett, then cop that.
In Canada right now during holiday sales, you can get an Xbox One SAD for under $300 (seeing $270 on Amazon.ca, so $310.50 after tax in Quebec). An Xbox One X starts at $500 CAD ($575 after tax in Quebec).

Assuming that general sort of price difference is present, for a lot of people Lockheart may be the only "affordable" SKU. I imagine myself getting that one to replace my Xbox One, especially since I see myself getting a PS5. There's no way I'll be able to get the premium version of both.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
"Microsoft is gearing up to reveal Xbox "Scarlett" in full in the near future"

Very near future. :)
surprised-.gif

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
A Vega 64 is 13.7 TFLOPS and is weaker than a GTX 1080, though not by much.

Don't get tripped over the difference between how AMD and Nvidia calculate TFLOPs.

Weaker than the 1080 would be good for me though so I can try to avoid upgrading for a year or 2.
You realize rDNA tflops compare pretty similar to Turing tflops right? Vega (and previous AMD architectures) were not as efficient, but the latest architecture is much more comparable. You can just look at benchmarks on PC and see this.

Oct 27, 2017
If LH has 8 cores @3.5Ghz, and 16GB, then it's much easier to deal with a 4TF GPU imo, but I expect it to be $350. If it's $400 and $500 it's just a dumb move when they could make the $500 model $400 within a year, like they almost always do

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Pretty interesting, even if the rumour is old. Certainly makes my PC with a 6TF 980ti look long in the tooth. Double the teraflops and not including architecture improvements and optimizations.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
The fact that this info gets leaked out AFTER ps5 dev kits are seen in the wild tells me Xbox was confident enough in there specs to start leaking this through channels.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Not sure what the point of the Lockhart is
So they can blast the phrase "Starting at $299" on all their marketing. This is old school thinking though. I don't think people are that dumb anymore and the deception will be acutely pointed out ad nauseum on social media. There will absolutely be games that won't run locally on Lockhart. They're scared Sony will beat them on price on the powerful box, and they should be.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
You realize rDNA tflops compare pretty similar to Turing tflops right? Vega (and previous AMD architectures) were not as efficient, but the latest architecture is much more comparable. You can just look at benchmarks on PC and see this.

If you think this thing will outperform a RTX 2080 with an 8 core CPU and an SSD and be less than $1000 than you are probably living in the clouds.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Target specs, so things can change (for better or worse?)

Also, compared to the competition, how's it stack up against that?

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
Could this mean PS5 is positioned nicely in the middle between Anaconda and Lockhart with regards to price/performance?

I think Microsoft needs to be wary of this if true....

Tryxx

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Aren't the rumors saying 499$? I don't see how those specs are only gonna cost that it just doesn't make sense, even at the discount that Microsoft is probably getting everything at. They have to be taking a pretty big hit at that price or these leaks are full of shit one or the other.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
The one X has more TF though? I guess the loading times would be faster, but wouldn't the framerate be better? Or is the CPU more significant in the lockheart
Because the xbox one x uses a different type of architecture as the ps5/Scarlett the numbers for teraflops aren't directly comparable. The current gen uses whats called GCN while nect gen is RDNA. Using what we already know GCN to RDNA roughly calculates to 1.2 to 1.4 gcn for every 1 RDNA so the xbox one x gpu is about equivalent with lockhart whereas the ps4 pro is weaker. That plus the cpu which is even bigger of a jump makes the lockhart stronger by a wide margin to the X

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If you think this thing will outperform a RTX 2080 with an 8 core CPU and an SSD and be less than $1000 than you are probably living in the clouds.
All you have to do is look at current 5700XT reviews (which is 9.75 tflops), increase the performance by 20%, and that's what a 12 tflop Anaconda GPU would be at. A high end PC will have a faster CPU though.