• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, this is a pretty cool use of streaming games.

Yeah this stood out to me. If the works flawlessly, this is one of the truly next gen features next to fast SSD becoming standard. I'm glad we're still potentially making huge jumps. For me the the PS3 to PS4 jump in speed of navigating menus and all the sharing features was an absolutely massive jump.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really technically minded as you can probably tell XD. If it's not weaker than the X that's okay.
In easy terms. 4TF GPU of now like the Pro or X isnt the same as 4TF or 6TF for the next gen consoles. Next to it, The biggest gains are gonna be made on the CPU and HDD side. And they are really big.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
12 TF is pretty nuts. I hope this isn't going to be an Xbox 360 situation where they just pack too damn much into the box for it to handle without overheating. I do think it's a mistake to have the Lockhart be less powerful than the XB1X. I get they are probably doing that so they can have a low-cost entry model to help early sales, but I don't think word of mouth will be too kind to it on that front.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
16GB of GDDR6 RAM, 13GB available for games...Not bad

Funny how RAM looks like the most tame upgrade in all of this, I think long term it should be ok.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This pretty much means they are going to force all anaconda games to be 4k right? Because they aren't going to release a 1080p - 1440p game that pushes graphics on anaconda because that means Lockhart wouldnt be able to run it
No? They marketed Xbox One X on 4K but devs still were allowed to be all sorts of creative. Some games had options for the player to choose the display or performance mode, some just straight up chose their own route.

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
As someone who hasn't kept up with the rumor mill and leaks at all so far, can someone catch me up?

Microsoft is planning to release 3 home consoles in 2020? Scarlett seems to be the middle range? And then a higher end and a lower end console?

That seems so... unnecessary...

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
It was hinted at 12 TF by an insider just before their last event. Looks like his tweet was actually teasing us info.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This is the exact same as the Jeux Video leak from February.

ELXW-H-W4AEciZ_

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I expected 10-12TF for Anaconda. Sounds amazing.

I still can't believe that Microsoft is planning to release a console in 2020 with less teraflops than their 2017 console. I sincerely hope the reporting concerning Lockhart is somehow incorrect.

Teraflops is a rough estimate of power. It doesn't tell the whole story.

16GB of GDDR6 RAM, 13GB available for games...Not bad

Funny how RAM looks like the most tame upgrade in all of this, I think long term it should be ok.

Agreed. I'd have expected something like 24GB or 32GB.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
Yeah my concern with this cheaper model(though concern is a strong word) is that while it might make sense early on I don't see it attracting that many early adopter types as there may not be launchgames like a GTA to really move units. So by the time say two years in where the more mass console buying audience it's limitations may really show. Then again maybe Microsoft is banking on a recession in the next 18 months which isn't the worst bet.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
12tflops is perfect, a huge upgrade for this gen. If PS5 is pretty much the same then I'll be more than happy. This also vindicates me holding off on buying a new PC GPU until Ampere is out, only the 2080 Ti seems to be faster than the consoles.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who hasn't kept up with the rumor mill and leaks at all so far, can someone catch me up?

Microsoft is planning to release 3 home consoles in 2020? Scarlett seems to be the middle range? And then a higher end and a lower end console?

Scarlett is the name for next gen project. Anaconda and Lockhart are the consoles

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No? They marketed Xbox One X on 4K but devs still were allowed to be all sorts of creative. Some games had options for the player to choose the display or performance mode, some just straight up chose their own route.
How could an anaconda game that targets 1080p with 12TF run on a 4TF system that also targets 1080p

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Lockhart targets 1080p, while Anaconda targets UHD? I think that would be great compromise, if this their plan.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.

Pretty sure Scarlett is the name of the whole next gen console project. Anaconda and Lochkardt are the two Scarlett variants, like the X and S are versions of the Xbox one.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017

Scarlett = Anaconda/Lockhart

Scarlett is the next gen project
Anaconda = 4K part (Xbox Two X)
Lockhart = 1080p part (Xbox Two S)

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

No. There are two consoles, Anaconda and Lockhart. Scarlett is the name for their next gen umbrella/ecosystem itself.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
This pretty much means they are going to force all anaconda games to be 4k right? Because they aren't going to release a 1080p - 1440p game that pushes graphics on anaconda because that means Lockhart wouldnt be able to run it

Most games on Anaconda will be third party games. Most games on Anaconda will look pretty much the same on PS5.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
That specs seem outstanding.

I am REALLY disappointed in the RAM though. Feels like it should 24GB to 32GB but that's just me.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
12TF is outstanding. And 3.5 GHz CPU will really scream! The RAM is a bit lower than I was expecting, but I'm sure it'll be fine with the aid of the SSD.
16gb of ram seems...a bit low

RAM's purpose is quick access to information for the CPU. The Scarlett consoles (and the PS5) will have specialized SSDs that make access to the information stored on them very quick. That makes the RAM less important. The SSDs will be fast enough to be used for some things that needed RAM this generation.