• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I just can't go buy a VR headset for one game. If the rumor is even true I wish they'd do it like Resident Evil 7. Works for both VR and traditional way, with controller.
But then they'd have to spend development having to account for two different versions of the game. They wouldn't nearly be able to push VR's capabilities in the way they wanted to if this was the case. Robin talks about this in the transcript I posted on the other page. HL: Alyx is essentially an exploration of VR as he puts it.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I just can't go buy a VR headset for one game. If the rumor is even true I wish they'd do it like Resident Evil 7. Works for both VR and traditional way, with controller.

Resident Evil 7 VR is exciting, but doesn't do a single thing that can only be done in VR besides enhanced presence. So being able to play in non-VR is sensible there. Half-Life should be pushing boundaries further than that.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah it's a hell of a price tag, but a game that's designed from the ground up for VR could probably do more interesting things than one that isn't. And Valve is in the position to take the hit if it doesn't pan out sales-wise. I don't expect any other large studio willing to put their weight behind such a risky investment. In addition to that, if the tools become available to other developers through the Source engine, that's could be a big deal for VR development.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
But then they'd have to spend development having to account for two different versions of the game. They wouldn't nearly be able to push VR's capabilities this way and Robin talks about this in the transcript above. HL: Alyx is essentially an exploration of VR as he puts it.

I guess that makes sense. But what I wonder is, will it sell well? I doubt many people are gonna buy VR specifically just for this and unless I'm wrong, there are more people without VR than with, right?

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
I own three VR devices: Samsung Gear VR, Oculus Go, and PSVR. I will be pretty bummed if I have to purchase a forth VR device to play this. If the rumors are true, I hope Oculus enables PC use for the Go, and steam supports it for this game.

Edit: I have a Quest, not a Go. Clearly can't keep them all straight :).

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I guess that makes sense. But what I wonder is, will it sell well? I doubt many people are gonna buy VR specifically just for this and unless I'm wrong, there are more people without VR than with, right?
I don't think Valve care about sales in this specific instance. The fact that this is a VR exclusive should be evident of that but it goes deeper. I'm sure they recognise above all that a big flagship (as they put it) VR game that'll more than likely be THE game to showcase the true capabilities of their own Index headset is catered only for hardcore enthusiasts and that kind of thing is backed up by sales figures and data.

I think a game like this is really to push VR as a medium beyond the support they've been giving it over the years, to deliver an experience that we've never seen before and to get rid of that negative stigma attatched to VR games, that they're just tech demos or 'not real games'.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I remember there were some leaks (almost all news outlets covered this) having Alyx, quite possibly in Russia or in some snowy region, set after Episode 2. No mention of Gordon, but the artwork had her in some kind of a cave.

Those were Episode 3 concept art, it was supposed to be set in Arctic where Borealis was located.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The confidence in which people are claiming this will "redefine" VR gaming is unrealistic. This isn't even announced yet. We know nothing about it. I'm not saying people shouldn't be excited, but folks, this is Half-Life. We've been on this long road for over a decade with nothing.

People will be sorely disappointed even if Valve makes a very good game because these expectations are already unreasonable... And the game has literally not even been confirmed to exist yet.
Have you seen Boneworks? That's something Valve is taking notes from with this game (due to having been on the Valve Master List on Steam for a time), and that game already looks incredible in terms of the kind of interactions possible that are simply impossible in regular gaming. This game is gonna be so much bigger, and supposedly with a lot more possibilities.

If Valve actually cared about selling a fuckton of copies, this wouldn't be VR exclusive. They can take the hit. This is meant to be a flagship title for VR, to support regular flatscreen gaming would be a severe and unacceptable compromise to what they're trying to achieve.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very excited to see what Valve has up their sleeves, a VR game from them should be killer

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
The recent valve talk about the challenges of programming a door in VR has me hyped like nothing else. I can't begin to imagine how crazy some never seen before gameplay elements are going to be.

I hope there will be some sort of time slowing device where you can feel like Neo in the matrix akin to Superhot VR. Can't fucking wait.

JTSilver

Games Actor
Verified
Sep 1, 2019
I own three VR devices: Samsung Gear VR, Oculus Go, and PSVR. I will be pretty bummed if I have to purchase a forth VR device to play this. If the rumors are true, I hope Oculus enables PC use for the Go, and steam supports it for this game.

The Go doesn't have translational tracking or motion controllers, which this will almost certainly require.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Where and when was this interview supposed to come out tho?

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with this.

Unlike most of you here (it seems), I love VR and have already decided (for myself) that it is in fact the true next gen of gaming, regardless of what PS5/Xbox do next year.

Sim games like flying, driving, space, etc a reason enough for me to believe this, but FPS games like Pavlov VR, Zero Caliber and what Boneworks is proposing to do are just as natural a fit and unlike anything that can be achieved on regular platforms.

I can't wait to try this out.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Rumour: Valve is about to announce a VR game called Half-Life: Alyx

dYwwCKptDYNpXwSL8B9FpM-970-80.jpg

Update: According to a new transcript of the leaked interview, Half-Life: Alyx will be shown at The Game Awards on December 12.
Original story: This November 19 will mark the 21st anniversary of the release of the original Half-Life, and according to rumor it will also be when Valve announce a flagship virtual reality game called Half-Life: Alyx.

Valve are rarely interested in celebrating their own game's anniversaries, so take this rumor with a mouthful of salt. The source is apparently the same leaker responsible for the DOTA Underlords leak, and is quoting from an interview between "Geoff" (Geoff Keighley, in his capacity as the creator of the "Final Hours" documentaries about Valve games), Robin Walker (co-developer of Team Fortress 2 among other games), and an unnamed third person.

"March 2020, "Half-Life: Alyx" comin' out", says Geoff in the transcript.

Yes! Show me what you got Valve.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
They haven't gone back on their word saying that they had a "flagship VR" title for this year. At this point I'm more on the side of being a believer.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Unlike most of you here (it seems), I love VR and have already decided (for myself) that it is in fact the true next gen of gaming, regardless of what PS5/Xbox do next year.
👏

I couldn't imagine Valve making another HL game just for it to be literally just another HL2. HL returning as a VR game is completely logical and I so fucking hope this has some of that Boneworks DNA.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
To me VR is just Motion Controls 2.0.

Like the Wiimote it has its group of enthusiasts, but at the end of the day I've yet to play a VR game that didn't make me go "I wish I could play this without teleporting and waving my arms around." To me the big wow factor with VR is the headset itself, not the gimmicky controls. That's why RE7 is still the VR king in my eyes.

I love the theory that Valve is too scared to work on Half-life because of fan reactions and expectations, yet is ballsy enough to bring the series back with a VR exclusive spinoff that doesn't even continue the cliffhanger. If Doom 2016 can be successful, then a completely normal Half-life 2 style Episode 3 can be successful.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
I sold my Rift but if this is true and is a proper HL game then I'll definitely be buying another headset for it.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Go doesn't have translational tracking or motion controllers, which this will almost certainly require.
Yeah, sorry, mate, but you're gonna need a PC-compatible headset. The WMR headsets are pretty much on the cheap end, but you'll have to put up with limited tracking capabilities. Same with the newer Oculus camera-tracking headsets. But it's still better than nothing, I've got a WMR headset and it's adequate, if kind of a poor man's Vive.

The Vive and the Index are more expensive and more time-intensive to set up, but the tracking is pretty much flawless, no need to worry about whether the headset will fuck up the tracking if the controllers move behind you or whatnot like camera-based tracking is prone to do.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I don't understand how the leak is possible: the leaker posts snippets, without having read the full interview. Like, you have access to an interview about Half-Life 3, and you don't read it? Instead, you post random snippets on the Discord of some dude?

TFdT7FA.png

How is it possible that there is an unknown person who is alleged to be Gabe? Like, if it is a leak from a video/audio, you cannot recognize Gabe's voice? If it is a leak from a text, which the Google Doc states, there is not the name of the person on it? And why is everything written in a conversational manner, with many unnecessary words. So weird!

q1fGXOW.png

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I love the theory that Valve is too scared to work on Half-life because of fan reactions and expectations, yet is ballsy enough to bring the series back with a VR exclusive spinoff that doesn't even continue the cliffhanger. If Doom 2016 can be successful, then a completely normal Half-life 2 style Episode 3 can be successful.

The working theory is that Valve is choosing to do a prequel because it's a lower risk way to ease the gaming public back into Half-Life being a thing again, but in VR, without all the expectations of the story we left off at the end of Episode 2. Being a prequel instead of a sequel is the safe move. I'm sure nobody is arguing a normal Episode 3 would not be successful, but this was probably their one concession to risk aversion when deciding to make a VR exclusive Half-Life.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind that this game probably will make good use of Valve's hardware exclusive features that other systems don't have. We'll have to wait and see if this is indeed an Steam VR exclusive or if they'll be another SKU's.
I'm on the same boat. I'm kinda disappointed at the mentality (being at Valve or the people) that a new Half-Life game cannot exist if it doesn't bring true innovation into the market like the first two main titles. People wouldn't be mad at all if it is "more of the same", as long as they get something, there's the market for it. But we are talking Valve here, of course they'll go the route they want (they have the money for it, and there's no issue on that. I'm just part of the "fans" who wish they also catered to their big market they already have instead of aiming to the niche one in the name of "innovation").

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019

No. Switch Gyro is Motion Controls 2.0. And it's awesome. A legitimate industry game changer. And I suspect Valve intends this game - combined with the index heatset - to be to VR was gyro was to the wii remote: a more technically refined version of a promising new technology that will finally make it to the big time.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017

Like the Wiimote it has its group of enthusiasts, but at the end of the day I've yet to play a VR game that didn't make me go "I wish I could play this without teleporting and waving my arms around." To me the big wow factor with VR is the headset itself, not the gimmicky controls. That's why RE7 is still the VR king in my eyes.

There's plenty of games without teleporting, and it's usually the better ones. Like the FPS games (Onward, Pavlov VR, Zero Caliber, dunno how many others really).

They feel AMAZING and are a joy to play. This is far from "Motion controls 2.0."

Check this out (granted, it's a speed course playthrough by someone who's obviously memorized the layout, but still):

Shooting games like this in VR are the definitive way forward for the genre, at least in parallel. Nothing gimicky about it.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how the leak is possible: the leaker posts snippets, without having read the full interview. Like, you have access to an interview about Half-Life 3, and you don't read it? Instead, you post random snippets on the Discord of some dude?

TFdT7FA.png

How is it possible that there is an unknown person who is alleged to be Gabe? Like, if it is a leak from a video/audio, you cannot recognize Gabe's voice? If it is a leak from a text, which the Google Doc states, there is not the name of the person on it? And why is everything written in a conversational manner, with many unnecessary words. So weird!

q1fGXOW.png
The theory is that he got the transcript (for instance for writing subtitles) which would not really need the name of the person (except in specific occassions).

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

TFdT7FA.png

q1fGXOW.png

It makes more sense if the news is intended to be published as a video and the text is from an early transcript that hasn't yet had a full formatting pass.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This is one of the best sourced rumors in a while.

I'm still not going to believe it until I see it for myself, and even then, I won't believe I'll be playing an end result until it's on my PC. Episode 3 was announced.

12 years. 12 freaking years.

That aside, something with tones of VR interactions and verbs made from the ground up as a AAA single player FPS by Valve? Oh dear lord that's a dream title for me.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

----
Yeah, no. Have you not seen Boneworks? This is far beyond teleporting and just waving your arms around. This isn't merely motion controls 2.0.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
If this really is a full fledged game it might be what pushes over the edge for a headset.

I've been considering getting one for a while, but it's lacked the " i have to see this" vibe i'd need to pay the still high price of a Vive.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Yeah, sorry, mate, but you're gonna need a PC-compatible headset. The WMR headsets are pretty much on the cheap end, but you'll have to put up with limited tracking capabilities. Same with the newer Oculus camera-tracking headsets. But it's still better than nothing, I've got a WMR headset and it's adequate, if kind of a poor man's Vive.

The Vive and the Index are more expensive and more time-intensive to set up, but the tracking is pretty much flawless, no need to worry about whether the headset will fuck up the tracking if the controllers move behind you or whatnot like camera-based tracking is prone to do.
Keep in mind that this game probably will make good use of Valve's hardware exclusive features that other systems don't have. We'll have to wait and see if this is indeed an Steam VR exclusive or if they'll be another SKU's.

I'm on the same boat. I'm kinda disappointed at the mentality (being at Valve or the people) that a new Half-Life game cannot exist if it doesn't bring true innovation into the market like the first two main titles. People wouldn't be mad at all if it is "more of the same", as long as they get something, there's the market for it. But we are talking Valve here, of course they'll go the route they want (they have the money for it, and there's no issue on that. I'm just part of the "fans" who wish they also catered to their big market they already have instead of aiming to the niche one in the name of "innovation").
I apparently have a "Quest", not a "Go". I purchased it at launch, played the Star Wars game, some Beat Saber, and haven't used it much since. That said, does this change anything? It has room scale capabilities and motion controls, and Oculus talked about making it PC compatible in the future.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite bit of this leak is this thing at the start of the document with the supposed interview

KgCehPX.png

Which, just, lmao. For one they're not going to delay the game cause this interview leaked. But also if there's bad consequences to this interview being out there, then it's not PC Gamer's fault for reporting on the leak, it's their own fault for leaking it in the first place.

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Perfect timing I just picked up the index and new controllers last night in preperation for boneworks.

you can really tell the people who are clueless about vr in this thread motions controls 2.0 lmao.

I'm so excited for boneworks I ordered a new pc and the index. My current setup with the original vive is just not cutting it. I can't wait to try the finger tracking.

Last edited:

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I apparently have a "Quest", not a "Go". I purchased it at launch, played the Star Wars game, some Beat Saber, and haven't used it much since. That said, does this change anything? It has room scale capabilities and motion controls, and Oculus talked about making it PC compatible in the future.
Ah, that changes things. There are ways to stream PC VR stuff to the Quest unofficially, but Oculus is planning to release a special cable to be able to connect to a PC and play VR content that way. Depends on whether you want to put in the effort now or wait for the cable to release.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Hope that this will support the Quest & Link.

I would have been so excited about this ~5 years ago (if not more) but just feel like it's been so long I can't generate much excitement for half life.

Fully prepared to potentially eat my words when I see gameplay though.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017

You're golden then. The quest can stream wirelessly from PC now (it's kinda okay) or with a wired option coming soon. Look for Oculus Link articles, people seemed to really like it and it should be coming out soon.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I can't see this going over well with Half-Life community. They have been waiting 12 years for a Half-Life game and what they get is a VR spin-off?

I made this over a year ago as a joke, can't believe it's going to be a thing.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.