• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
Any game series that hasn't been seen for over 15 years is essentially the same as a new IP to me.

New Generation of kids and all.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I gotta say, I would be a tad bit disappointed if the game that they were working was perfect dark. I was expecting them to create a new AAA franchise :/

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Blown away by people who think Perfect Dark coming back is not a new ip. Getting close to 20 years since perfect dark zero.

-Crimson skies
-Brute force
-Jade empire
-Perfect Dark
-Mech Assault

I'd prefer a reimagining of any of the above rather than a new ip. Not to mention we have new ips coming...doesn't always mean they are going to be good *see bleeding edge*.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Blown away by people who think Perfect Dark coming back is not a new ip. Getting close to 20 years since perfect dark zero.

-Crimson skies
-Brute force
-Jade empire
-Perfect Dark
-Mech Assault

I'd prefer a reimagining of any of the above rather than a new ip. Not to mention we have new ips coming...doesn't always mean they are going to be good *see bleeding edge*.

I would absolutely love a new crimson skies.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
More MGS/Splinter Cell like in Cyberpunk vibe.

Concept art by Lead concept Artist at The initiative :
eric-persson-akira.jpg

This image is exactly the feeling I want a new PD to bring. I imagine something evolved from that Black Tusk video 7 years ago.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm really hoping it is the new look Perfect Dark, but not another first person shooter. Lets actually see Joanna as we play.

The possibilities are endless for story and gameplay with that futuristic world.

Gif

Dec 20, 2019
Woah the first couple of pages in this thread were pretty embarrassing - some real mental gymnastics.

On topic - I think this is a win-win, it'll basically be a new ip with Joanna Dark as the protagonist and set in the futuristic vibe given by the old ones. I think all the alien stuff will be gone, although I wouldn't mind some horror-sequel levels with them in (if they go serious route)

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
So, Deep State's Covfefe: Trump's Redemption, where we play as an oppressed and punished MAGA hatter who has become disillusioned with the Democrat's Surveillance State and goes to town to join a group that aims to expose the dangerous conspiracy? And all the while basking the glory of UE4's RT based GI and shadows.

Any game series that hasn't been seen for over 15 years is essentially the same as a new IP to me.

New Generation of kids and all.

Mhmm... could be Perfait Noir.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
So, Deep State: Trump's Redemption, where we play as an oppressed and punished MAGA hatter who has become disillusioned with the Democrat's Surveillance State and goes to town to join a group that aims to expose the dangerous conspiracy? And all the while basking the glory of UE4's RT based GI and shadows.

Mhmm... could be Perfait Noir.
Pristine Shade, Starring Debra Jones

Print it.

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
Or the other common sense would be that if a new studio makes a game it would be something totally different not something that's old. It's common sense and if you know how to read between the lines. You'll figure out that the studio is being used for a new game hence the reason why Microsoft hired all these top developers especially from Sony.

That's not common sense at all. Naughty Dog (as an example) can explore with new IP with equal hype because Crash>Uncharted>TLoU proves their pedigree. Despite the talent within The Initiative, a new studio with a new IP from a patent company that hasn't had a great track record as of late is actually more of a risk.

The IP has been untouched for so long. It can be reworked into whatever the studios strengths are.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Win both ways I was excited for that studio to create a new ip but if it's Perfect dark I'll be just as thrilled.

Apr 30, 2019
Zero was lit on Xbox live for the first year of the release of the 360. 32 player zombie games became a bloodbath towards the end of the matches. I'll have a nostalgiagasm if this is a launch title again.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Good Lord, the first couple pages of this thread are embarrassing. God forbid MS actually uses Rare's IPs for once after spending nearly half a billion dollars on the studio. How dare they bring Perfect Dark back!!!! Obviously nobody has been wanting any of Rare's old IPs to be brought back! It's not like there haven't been hundreds of threads on this very subject!

I mean, I wish Rare would've been making the new PD, but I'm not going to complain when other people at MS actually have a passion to bring something of Rare's back even without Rare's involvement.

bradley

Feb 15, 2019
Zero was lit on Xbox live for the first year of the release of the 360. 32 player zombie games became a bloodbath towards the end of the matches. I'll have a nostalgiagasm if this is a launch title again.

It's a shame PDZ only gets remembered for the campaign. It was great MP in the early days of the 360. Zombie mode was amazing.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Juicy! Can't wait. I'd be happy with either Shangeist or Perfect Dark, though I think a new IP would probably be more exciting.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
My point still stands, why would Microsoft use the new studio and get the top talents from the gaming industry just to make a reboot or sequel to Perfect Dark? All that talent for a game that's at least 20 years old or so? Clearly the common sense has flown by on this thread.

I mean, it's not like Perfect Dark is a common house hold name. It'd practically be a brand new IP for a lot of gamers these days. And it'd be a big revival for older gamers who remember the IP.

It'd hit on a lot of things, it'd give us a new spy game that we don't have much of lately. It'd be a great IP to revive, and it's a better name to sell to new and old gamers than making a similar style game and making up some new title when there is the perfectly fine Perfect Dark name sitting dormant.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, it's not like Perfect Dark is a common house hold name. It'd practically be a brand new IP for a lot of gamers these days. And it'd be a big revival for older gamers who remember the IP.

It'd hit on a lot of things, it'd give us a new spy game that we don't have much of lately. It'd be a great IP to revive, and it's a better name to sell to new and old gamers than making a similar style game and making up some new title when there is the perfectly fine Perfect Dark name sitting dormant.
Precisely.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I bet when the game is revealed next month (or whenever), there'll be people surprised and disappointed that it's Perfect Dark and will act like these rumors have never existed despite PD being heavily rumored since even before The Initiative was announced at E3 2018.

Sep 14, 2018
I just hope it's not open world, I'm out the door at the first mention of it. Come up with actual level design developers.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
...hopefully Microsoft gets to the point where they can have more than one AAA exclusive a year.

I'm pretty sure that's what their game plan is. I'd expect at least 2 AAA's per year. One in fall and one in spring. I think any more than that is too much. We know Halo, hellblade and fable are coming, there is still much left to be revealed. My predictions...

Fall 2020

Halo
Forza
Gears tactics (Xbox series x)

Spring 2021

Hellblade 2

Fall 2021

Fable

Sep 14, 2018
I'm pretty sure that's what their game plan is. I'd expect at least 2 AAA's per year. One in fall and one in spring. I think any more than that is too much. We know Halo, hellblade and fable are coming, there is still much left to be revealed. My predictions...

Fall 2020

Halo
Forza
Gears tactics (Xbox series x)

Spring 2021

Hellblade 2

Fall 2021

Fable
That looks incredibly uninteresting. Do you know when this game (whatever it is) could possibly come?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Once you could get past the shitty control, there was a damn good MP game tucked in there.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Perfect dark can totally get a fresh new take. I welcome new PD and Fable as long as they bring a completely fresh take.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
TI's game will be 2022 at the earliest. I mean the studio is still hiring key roles and still forming

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
MS announced 3 new IPs in the past 5 months and yet this narrative about MS needing new IPs is still somehow alive.

Huh? Firstly, I never said Microsoft needed new IP, just that for me, personally, it'd probably be more exciting. More so given the AAA hires that The Initiative has been snapping up, and the liklihood of this being a tentpole, high production value, tech pushing exclusive.

Strange response.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I like PD, there's nothing about the IP that's unique enough in terms of sci fi that they wouldn't be better off just making a new IP. It carries little name recognition these days and the story wasn't exactly a page turner.
These arguments are always so weird, especially when it comes to a practically abandoned/forgotten IP that hasn't seen a new game in almost 15 years (and only ever saw like two games at that).

You yourself admit that the franchise has little name recognition, how is reviving Perfect Dark any different than making a new IP using the same ideas/setting? This isn't a new game in a series on its 10th entry, the last game was a 360 launch title. Just going off of gaming trends alone, the franchise will no doubt look and play dramatically different. Literally the only thing this tells us is we're getting a futuristic spy game with a female protagonist. We don't know how it'll play, what the story will be, whether it'll have multiplayer or not, the tone of the game, the art style, etc..

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
With Metal Gear dead and Ubisoft refusing to make a new Splinter Cell, I definitely welcome a 3rd person Perfect Dark reboot. If The Initiative is working on this (pretty much everything suggest they are) they must be very confident they can bring the IP to its former success.